image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
wire (resized).png
28f1af5b656b6e1006cd1fb1a73fedb28d09d04e.jpeg (resized).jpg
35A6F5EF-BE94-4E14-9E97-1813B3A6F0BD (resized).jpeg
acdctournamentbutton (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I never purchased or installed one, but I would like to know if the tournament button can be used with free play mode on Star Wars.

I basically want to use it to temporarily switch the pinball rules to tournament instead of our "family/kid friendly" customizations and have it keep track of the best score of the evening when staring the game with the button. I do not want to require coins when starting the game in either tournament or non-tournament mode.

Basically I've got a bunch of kids who want to play and a bunch of adults that want to compete.

I did a bit of research but couldn't find a definitive answer in the manual or elsewhere.

#2 6 years ago

If you have a TOPS Tournament set up and running on the game, yes the tournament button can be used on free play.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply...

Is the extra button the only way to start a game in that TOPS Tournament mode. I know you have to setup the tournament ahead of time. I tried that but it seemed like I needed the extra hardware to actually compete. Perhaps there is there some magic flipper button sequence? Holding down the left flipper mentioned something about competition but it didn't seem to register the high score.

Assuming new hardware is necessary, are there different versions of the button. I want it to work specifically for Star Wars?
It seems that the only one I could find online was at marcospecialties and part number 500-6884-00-TK with the cable assembly. It doesn't specifically list Star Wars as compatible.

Do you know if it needs to be soldered on?

Thanks for all your help. Searching google and bing for this tournament button doesn't yield much info.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from nbside:

Is the extra button the only way to start a game in that TOPS Tournament mode.

Yes.

Quoted from nbside:

are there different versions of the button.

Yes, cabinet and lockdown bar versions ( except NASCAR, which needs a tiny momentary contact button because stuff is in the way below the lockdown bar )

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3214
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1897

Quoted from nbside:

If no connector inside the cabinet, yes. Easy to do. See picture of AC/DC one.

acdctournamentbutton (resized).jpgacdctournamentbutton (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from nbside:

Thanks for the quick reply...
Is the extra button the only way to start a game in that TOPS Tournament mode. I know you have to setup the tournament ahead of time. I tried that but it seemed like I needed the extra hardware to actually compete. Perhaps there is there some magic flipper button sequence? Holding down the left flipper mentioned something about competition but it didn't seem to register the high score.
Assuming new hardware is necessary, are there different versions of the button. I want it to work specifically for Star Wars?
It seems that the only one I could find online was at marcospecialties and part number 500-6884-00-TK with the cable assembly. It doesn't specifically list Star Wars as compatible.
Thanks for all your help. Searching google and bing for this tournament button doesn't yield much info.

You can have the tournament running the same time as the regular start button. Start a tournament and both buttons will be flashing. Press tournament and tournament rules apply, press start button and your regular game rules apply.

The tournament button is wired exactly the same as the start button. I'm not sure about spike, but in pre-spike games, you need to solder on a diode and the ground wire, the other wires are already in the game with spade connectors on them that you plug into the button. Just mimic the start button.

#7 6 years ago

Does anyone have a pciture of how TOPS looks in LCD games? Did they program it with more info for the big screen or is it just the same code?

1 month later
#8 6 years ago

TOPs is part of the codes, and in the manual, the tournament menu is explained.
If you don't see the tournament menu, this means you have a flipper without it.

2 weeks later
#9 6 years ago

Tried setting this up on metallica.

Not sure what The NC or C is on this button from Pinball Life.

Do I really need Diode. I thought I hac wired my button exactly like start but damn button doesnt work.

Doesnt register in diagnostic node either, but lights up just fine.

35A6F5EF-BE94-4E14-9E97-1813B3A6F0BD (resized).jpeg35A6F5EF-BE94-4E14-9E97-1813B3A6F0BD (resized).jpeg

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Not sure what The NC or C is on this button from Pinball Life.

Did you remove the switch and look ? Usually marked on one side.

Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Do I really need Diode.

Yes.

#11 6 years ago

there are actually 2 different cabinet versions and 2 for the lockbar version.
1) the samm system lockbar version for potc and games before that. (nascar is different as mentioned)
2) samm system cabinet version
3) spike cabinet version

* spike start button is different as well starting with the lcd spike games. the start button current is larger than previous spike games.

#12 6 years ago

28f1af5b656b6e1006cd1fb1a73fedb28d09d04e.jpeg (resized).jpg28f1af5b656b6e1006cd1fb1a73fedb28d09d04e.jpeg (resized).jpg

#13 6 years ago

The easiest way to wire a tournament button is to just look at the start button. The wiring is identical, diode needed.

#14 6 years ago

I don’t understand why stern adds tournament buttons to international games, but not in domestic American games. It seemed like a very cheap part to not include.

Simply cost cutting, or is there a reason for this?

#15 6 years ago

Thanks a million. Looks like I guessed right now to figure out why it doesn't work for me.

10 months later
#16 5 years ago

I have a few questions if someone could chime in. I’m trying to hookup a tournament button on my Stern Star Wars

- start button has red, yellow/purple, grey, and black/white wires attached.

- the cabinet spade connectors are red, yellow/red, grey/white and black/white

So the colors dont exactly match up, I’m a little confused as to where to start. Does anyone have a picture of their wired Star Wars tournament button?

Thanks for any help, Michael

#17 5 years ago

Star Wars, or any Spike games for that matter, do not need the diode. You will connect it exactly like the start button. Put the yellow/red on the same prong that holds the yellow/purple and the grey/white on the one that has the grey wire above.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

Star Wars, or any Spike games for that matter, do not need the diode. You will connect it exactly like the start button. Put the yellow/red on the same prong that holds the yellow/purple and the grey/white on the one that has the grey wire above.

That worked perfectly! Thank you for the help..

1 week later
#19 5 years ago

I’ve got a similar question. We run all of our games on free play, but we’d like to set up a charity tournament which requires quarters. Is it possible to have a game set for free play for normal play and quarters with the tourney button?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Poopiehead:

I’ve got a similar question. We run all of our games on free play, but we’d like to set up a charity tournament which requires quarters. Is it possible to have a game set for free play for normal play and quarters with the tourney button?

I did this on a POTC by REMOVING the wires going to the tournament start button, and placing those wires on a coin switch below a coin slot that accepted coins (or bills) on the machine door (after disconnecting the normal coin door switch wires.)

Basically when the machine is set to free play, either type of game can be started by closing the appropriate switch (regular start, or tournament start) WITHOUT inserting any coinage. By removing the wires that start a tournament game, and placing them on the coin switch, a coin then acts as a person pushing the tournament start button. Thus it now requires a coin to start the tournament (though it is ONLY one coin to do so). If you have a bill acceptor,then one bill (dollar) can be the trigger.

I worked through the single switch closure issue, by giving out 1.00" tokens (for the donation amount required), and putting a 1.00" token acceptor in the coin door slot, and labeling the coin slot with "INSERT TOURNAMENT TOKEN HERE". Thus one could "sell" the tokens for the tournament entry fee, a tournament game can be started by people with the tokens, and free play is still available for a regular non counting game when the machine is not being used by someone competing in the tournament.

I've used this setup for a number of years, and not had a problem with it working when I use it. Just make a couple of wires to go from the Tournament start button to two wires with male/female spade connectors that I can then place on the coin door switch lugs and the wires from the MPU to start a tournament that are removed from the tournament start button to quickly convert a machine to this setup.

The tournament BUTTON wires are Grn-Brn and Tan-Vio, remove these from the tournament switch, use an extension wire you make to connect each to a coin door coin switch (NO/C) that you remove the normal coin door wires from.

The lamp is on Yel-Red and Org-Brn which I leave connected.

wire (resized).pngwire (resized).png
#21 5 years ago

Brilliant, MadMan. Thanks! And I don’t need a button!

3 weeks later
#22 5 years ago

So I got a bill acceptor and stacker, but I can’t seem to find the right combination of leads to have the validator send out a pulse that the tourney leads will accept as a “tourney start” signal and not just a “some idiot put a dollar in this free play machine” signal (which pin one will pulse just fine). I can just connect the two tourney leads (brown/purple and the green/brown pair) and trigger a tourney “button” push manually, but can’t seem to find which of the mars 30 pins (if any) will replicate that connection. Any Mars bill validator experts?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

88105553-09F2-4E6C-88EC-7354E65E3CC7 (resized).png88105553-09F2-4E6C-88EC-7354E65E3CC7 (resized).png
#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Poopiehead:

Any Mars bill validator experts?

I'm not an expert. But your game can't be both free play and money play. Even if for tournament.

#24 5 years ago

Did some thinking on this. On the validator harness black and white is 110 AC.

Orange and brown would go to coin switch lugs NO ( normally open ) and C ( common ). ( or appropriate spots on coin door interface board )Those two wires would pulse the coin circuit.

So you could put one wire on each wire of the tournament button and see if it works. If it does, remove the switch from the button so you can't start a free one.

#25 5 years ago

Thanks! And those were the two leads that I tried first. Either one of them fires into the tourney leads and adds credits, but doesn't start the tournament. While powered on, though (and, yes, even in free mode), putting a jumper in between the two tourney leads to connect them adds one tourney credit (and since I have it set on $1, it adds a dollar, correctly, even though it's set on Free Play the rest of the time.

So I need some way to allow the bill validator to essentially close the circuit between a jumper between the two tourney leads. Maybe a relay or something? I don't know enough to know what that would entail.

I can do the same thing with a single coin slot, which physically connects the two leads together, but I'd like to have 50 cents from each play going towards project Pinball instead of 12.5 cents

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from Poopiehead:

I don't know enough to know what that would entail.

I'm back to don't know if it can be done.

#27 5 years ago

Anyone have enough experience to know if the pulse from a bill acceptor could trigger, say, a relay which would bridge those two connectors which triggers a tourney? Or any other way of making that happen?

2 weeks later
#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Poopiehead:

Anyone have enough experience to know if the pulse from a bill acceptor could trigger, say, a relay which would bridge those two connectors which triggers a tourney? Or any other way of making that happen?

You should use credit relay common and credit relay normally open as your two wires from the bill validator, and hook them to the two wires for tournament start....

If it is putting on a credit, you have the wrong wires on the switch matrix, or you need to remove the wires on the validator going to the coin interface board, and have them only go to the tournament start input. It should NOT credit up on a bill insert, or a short of the tournament wires, but it should INSTANTLY start a tournament game.

If that is a 110V acceptor, it would be pins 1 and 16 on the acceptor (the two leftmost pins, top and bottom) that would then go to the tournament start button input connector.

1 week later
#29 5 years ago

That was it! After hours of tinkering, you nailed it in a few minutes, themadman! If you’re ever in Milwaukee, stop by and I’ll get you a wristband and a drink. Much appreciated!

Now to find a damn bezel for this, and we’re in business!

1 week later
#30 5 years ago

I just wanted to stop back in to thank everyone who helped with advice for this, especially themadman. We launched the tournament (benefiting Project Pinball) last night, and it’s been a huge hit (and is raising some money for a great charity!)

https://www.facebook.com/events/330778290872862/?ti=ia

This community is badass sometimes. Thanks.

5E38B329-F463-490F-A333-066175235B57 (resized).jpeg5E38B329-F463-490F-A333-066175235B57 (resized).jpegCBC9949E-71E6-4C36-AC85-9EA00285076C (resized).jpegCBC9949E-71E6-4C36-AC85-9EA00285076C (resized).jpeg
4 years later
#31 4 months ago

I ordered the tournament button and cable for my Star Wars premium. I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the order to attach the wires and where does the female end attach on the board? thanks

#32 4 months ago
Quoted from Parzival494:

I was wondering if anyone has a picture of the order to attach the wires

For a start. Page 15 in the manual. Switch #74, gray and white, black and white.

#33 4 months ago

Thanks LTG. I see Node board 0 and port CN6 (top) that is the location for the tournament wires but I'm not sure how this female ending of the wire connection is supposed to work?

node 0 (resized).JPGnode 0 (resized).JPG
#34 4 months ago
Quoted from Parzival494:

Thanks LTG. I see Node board 0 and port CN6 (top) that is the location for the tournament wires but I'm not sure how this female ending of the wire connection is supposed to work?
[quoted image]

Only games that have the tournament button on the lock bar use that harness. Anything else you use existing wiring in the harness near where the button goes. One solder connection will be necessary.

#35 4 months ago

Here is mine. Doesn't look like Spike 2 needs a diode like SAM. I have the square button from PBL

IMG_9696 (resized).JPGIMG_9696 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Potomac, MD
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Palm Springs, CA
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 14.00
Playfield - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 21.50
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tournament-button-and-free-play?hl=poopiehead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.