Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Poopiehead
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wire (resized).png
28f1af5b656b6e1006cd1fb1a73fedb28d09d04e.jpeg (resized).jpg
35A6F5EF-BE94-4E14-9E97-1813B3A6F0BD (resized).jpeg
acdctournamentbutton (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I never purchased or installed one, but I would like to know if the tournament button can be used with free play mode on Star Wars.

I basically want to use it to temporarily switch the pinball rules to tournament instead of our "family/kid friendly" customizations and have it keep track of the best score of the evening when staring the game with the button. I do not want to require coins when starting the game in either tournament or non-tournament mode.

Basically I've got a bunch of kids who want to play and a bunch of adults that want to compete.

I did a bit of research but couldn't find a definitive answer in the manual or elsewhere.

#2 1 year ago

If you have a TOPS Tournament set up and running on the game, yes the tournament button can be used on free play.

LTG : )

#4 1 year ago

Thanks for the quick reply...

Is the extra button the only way to start a game in that TOPS Tournament mode. I know you have to setup the tournament ahead of time. I tried that but it seemed like I needed the extra hardware to actually compete. Perhaps there is there some magic flipper button sequence? Holding down the left flipper mentioned something about competition but it didn't seem to register the high score.

Assuming new hardware is necessary, are there different versions of the button. I want it to work specifically for Star Wars?
It seems that the only one I could find online was at marcospecialties and part number 500-6884-00-TK with the cable assembly. It doesn't specifically list Star Wars as compatible.

Do you know if it needs to be soldered on?

Thanks for all your help. Searching google and bing for this tournament button doesn't yield much info.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from nbside:

Is the extra button the only way to start a game in that TOPS Tournament mode.

Yes.

Quoted from nbside:

are there different versions of the button.

Yes, cabinet and lockdown bar versions ( except NASCAR, which needs a tiny momentary contact button because stuff is in the way below the lockdown bar )

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3214
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1897

Quoted from nbside:

If no connector inside the cabinet, yes. Easy to do. See picture of AC/DC one.

acdctournamentbutton (resized).jpg

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from nbside:

Thanks for the quick reply...
Is the extra button the only way to start a game in that TOPS Tournament mode. I know you have to setup the tournament ahead of time. I tried that but it seemed like I needed the extra hardware to actually compete. Perhaps there is there some magic flipper button sequence? Holding down the left flipper mentioned something about competition but it didn't seem to register the high score.
Assuming new hardware is necessary, are there different versions of the button. I want it to work specifically for Star Wars?
It seems that the only one I could find online was at marcospecialties and part number 500-6884-00-TK with the cable assembly. It doesn't specifically list Star Wars as compatible.
Thanks for all your help. Searching google and bing for this tournament button doesn't yield much info.

You can have the tournament running the same time as the regular start button. Start a tournament and both buttons will be flashing. Press tournament and tournament rules apply, press start button and your regular game rules apply.

The tournament button is wired exactly the same as the start button. I'm not sure about spike, but in pre-spike games, you need to solder on a diode and the ground wire, the other wires are already in the game with spade connectors on them that you plug into the button. Just mimic the start button.

#7 1 year ago

Does anyone have a pciture of how TOPS looks in LCD games? Did they program it with more info for the big screen or is it just the same code?

1 month later
#8 1 year ago

TOPs is part of the codes, and in the manual, the tournament menu is explained.
If you don't see the tournament menu, this means you have a flipper without it.

2 weeks later
#9 11 months ago

Tried setting this up on metallica.

Not sure what The NC or C is on this button from Pinball Life.

Do I really need Diode. I thought I hac wired my button exactly like start but damn button doesnt work.

Doesnt register in diagnostic node either, but lights up just fine.

35A6F5EF-BE94-4E14-9E97-1813B3A6F0BD (resized).jpeg

#10 11 months ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Not sure what The NC or C is on this button from Pinball Life.

Did you remove the switch and look ? Usually marked on one side.

Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Do I really need Diode.

Yes.

#11 11 months ago

there are actually 2 different cabinet versions and 2 for the lockbar version.
1) the samm system lockbar version for potc and games before that. (nascar is different as mentioned)
2) samm system cabinet version
3) spike cabinet version

* spike start button is different as well starting with the lcd spike games. the start button current is larger than previous spike games.

#12 11 months ago

28f1af5b656b6e1006cd1fb1a73fedb28d09d04e.jpeg (resized).jpg

#13 11 months ago

The easiest way to wire a tournament button is to just look at the start button. The wiring is identical, diode needed.

#14 11 months ago

I don’t understand why stern adds tournament buttons to international games, but not in domestic American games. It seemed like a very cheap part to not include.

Simply cost cutting, or is there a reason for this?

#15 11 months ago

Thanks a million. Looks like I guessed right now to figure out why it doesn't work for me.

10 months later
#16 13 days ago

I have a few questions if someone could chime in. I’m trying to hookup a tournament button on my Stern Star Wars

- start button has red, yellow/purple, grey, and black/white wires attached.

- the cabinet spade connectors are red, yellow/red, grey/white and black/white

So the colors dont exactly match up, I’m a little confused as to where to start. Does anyone have a picture of their wired Star Wars tournament button?

Thanks for any help, Michael

#17 12 days ago

Star Wars, or any Spike games for that matter, do not need the diode. You will connect it exactly like the start button. Put the yellow/red on the same prong that holds the yellow/purple and the grey/white on the one that has the grey wire above.

#18 12 days ago
Quoted from tonedef131:

Star Wars, or any Spike games for that matter, do not need the diode. You will connect it exactly like the start button. Put the yellow/red on the same prong that holds the yellow/purple and the grey/white on the one that has the grey wire above.

That worked perfectly! Thank you for the help..

1 week later
#19 5 days ago

I’ve got a similar question. We run all of our games on free play, but we’d like to set up a charity tournament which requires quarters. Is it possible to have a game set for free play for normal play and quarters with the tourney button?

#20 5 days ago
Quoted from Poopiehead:

I’ve got a similar question. We run all of our games on free play, but we’d like to set up a charity tournament which requires quarters. Is it possible to have a game set for free play for normal play and quarters with the tourney button?

I did this on a POTC by REMOVING the wires going to the tournament start button, and placing those wires on a coin switch below a coin slot that accepted coins (or bills) on the machine door (after disconnecting the normal coin door switch wires.)

Basically when the machine is set to free play, either type of game can be started by closing the appropriate switch (regular start, or tournament start) WITHOUT inserting any coinage. By removing the wires that start a tournament game, and placing them on the coin switch, a coin then acts as a person pushing the tournament start button. Thus it now requires a coin to start the tournament (though it is ONLY one coin to do so). If you have a bill acceptor,then one bill (dollar) can be the trigger.

I worked through the single switch closure issue, by giving out 1.00" tokens (for the donation amount required), and putting a 1.00" token acceptor in the coin door slot, and labeling the coin slot with "INSERT TOURNAMENT TOKEN HERE". Thus one could "sell" the tokens for the tournament entry fee, a tournament game can be started by people with the tokens, and free play is still available for a regular non counting game when the machine is not being used by someone competing in the tournament.

I've used this setup for a number of years, and not had a problem with it working when I use it. Just make a couple of wires to go from the Tournament start button to two wires with male/female spade connectors that I can then place on the coin door switch lugs and the wires from the MPU to start a tournament that are removed from the tournament start button to quickly convert a machine to this setup.

The tournament BUTTON wires are Grn-Brn and Tan-Vio, remove these from the tournament switch, use an extension wire you make to connect each to a coin door coin switch (NO/C) that you remove the normal coin door wires from.

The lamp is on Yel-Red and Org-Brn which I leave connected.

wire (resized).png
#21 5 days ago

Brilliant, MadMan. Thanks! And I don’t need a button!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 13.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 499.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Great American Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Fullerton, CA
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 11.99
$ 24.25
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Pinball Machine
Music City Pinball
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Metalhead Pinball
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 15.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside