(Topic ID: 149924)

Stern to detail every game ever made by them.

By Captain_Kirk

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 240 posts
  • 85 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dmbjunky
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 57 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

13880263_10154369069074244_975124459979567868_n_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    13332796_10154203067679244_4924437130312910361_n_(resized).jpg
    Star_Wars_(resized).jpg
    MJ_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    twister_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    P2200079_(resized).JPG
    P2200082_(resized).JPG
    SDC12822_(resized).JPG
    bay_(resized).jpg
    mary_shellys_frankenstein_flyer_front_(resized).jpg
    FRank_(resized).jpg

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 3 years ago

Stern just posted on Facebook that they are going to post information on every game they have ever made over their 30 years, starting with Laser War. Looks like some kind of pamphlet will be designed for each game, and posted in chronological order over the next few weeks/months. Pretty cool little tid-bits of information.

#2 3 years ago

pretty cool. but really cool and actually helpful if production numbers are released

#3 3 years ago

Would make for a cool coffee table book!

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

pretty cool. but really cool and actually helpful if production numbers are released

Agreed. That is something that they stopped doing once they went private and became Stern. Really doesn't make any sense to me, especially when the had no competition. If nothing else, release the numbers after a set period of time. Surely there is no competitive reason not to release numbers after say, 10 years.

#5 3 years ago

The really cool stuff they made was back in the late 70's early 80's. Too bad they don't consider those titles important enough to mention.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

The really cool stuff they made was back in the late 70's early 80's. Too bad they don't consider those titles important enough to mention.

Stern Electronics was a separate company from the current one. The 30 year anniversary covers this company only, back to Data East's founding.

#7 3 years ago

2_(resized).jpg3_(resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago

Kinda neat. They remind me of trading cards.

#9 3 years ago

It's OK, but I kind of wish they listed the numbers made, I guess they don't want to admit if they only sold 500 Avengers or 300 WWE (for example). But the early games like Tspp, PotC and such I don't know what's the big secret.

#10 3 years ago

I would pay $30 or $40 for a bound coffee table like book on high quality paper.
    Have a foreward and designer interviews about the games and little known info.
    Would be a hot seller I would bet.

#11 3 years ago

Production numbers needed! Let us grab the pitch forks!!!

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Kinda neat. They remind me of trading cards.

Yeah, wouldn't mind someone making pinball trading cards. Brings back the old days of collecting bubble gum cards. I can smell the "opening the new pack" smell now. Actually I was playing around with the idea back in the early 2000's but I'm not the person to do it.

#13 3 years ago

I guess I don't understand the hubbub over knowing production numbers. Is it for your ego, so you can say you own a rare game? Is it to hopefully raise the asking price of a game you own? It doesn't make any sense to me. I bet some of the old production numbers were just approximations.

#14 3 years ago

I wonder if Jared had anything to do with these?

#15 3 years ago

Me likey. Nice job Stern.

#16 3 years ago

They can keep track of which games software needs an update, or is otherwise incomplete.

#17 3 years ago

This will get awkward about the time they hit WOF...

#18 3 years ago

Really? Lonnie has been around 30 years and still.....wow...

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I guess I don't understand the hubbub over knowing production numbers. Is it for your ego, so you can say you own a rare game? Is it to hopefully raise the asking price of a game you own? It doesn't make any sense to me. I bet some of the old production numbers were just approximations.

No, it's not for ego. It's just good history to know. Production numbers for public companies were not approximations.

#20 3 years ago

I'd like to know to see how the bad times were and when was the bottom, and when things started to turn around. Good to see if pinball is gaining popularity, how close it was to extinction etc..

#21 3 years ago

4_(resized).jpg

#22 3 years ago

I thought DATA EAST was bought by SEGA ?? And STERN purchased SEGA starting with remaking SEGA's South Park .

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from RobKnapp:

I thought DATA EAST was bought by SEGA ?? And STERN purchased SEGA starting with remaking SEGA's South Park .

I think Data East provided backing money for Gary Stern's company. Is that right? And then it was sold to Sega and enventually bought out by Gary.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I think Data East provided backing money for Gary Stern's company. Is that right? And then it was sold to Sega and enventually bought out by Gary.

Correct. Different owners, same company. Gary ran the company in all iterations.

#25 3 years ago

If it goes back 30 years, should it not start with 1986? Anyone else freaked out seeing 1987 at the beginning of a thirty year listing... 30 years goes quick!

#26 3 years ago

The company was founded in 1986. Their first game went out in 1987.

#27 3 years ago

Meh. Not very informative without production numbers. All the other info is readily available.

#28 3 years ago

They really have no reason to post production numbers. I know it is something many would like to know, but maybe it is adventagious for them as a business to not publicly state how many of what they are making.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They really have no reason to post production numbers. I know it is something many would like to know, but maybe it is adventagious for them as a business to not publicly state how many of what they are making.

I can understand not publishing numbers for current or recent product lines, but for pins made 20-30 years ago, I don't really see a reason why that should still be kept under wraps.

#30 3 years ago

Production numbers for many Williams games are unknown. There may have been a reason for this beyond lack of bookkeeping.

#31 3 years ago

Maybe they are afraid of some low numbers that will spike values of certain titles, and take away potential money from current titles?

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Production numbers for many Williams games are unknown. There may have been a reason for this beyond lack of bookkeeping.

Not when Williams was a public company.

Data East and Sega production numbers are known. They were public companies and had to release these numbers.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They really have no reason to post production numbers.

[whispers]: Maybe they do not want to release the actual production numbers because they would owe more royalty money? Bwuhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Not when Williams was a public company.

When did Williams become a public company?

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

[whispers]: Maybe they do not want to release the actual production numbers because they would owe more royalty money? Bwuhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Royalties, taxes, who knows. If I was running a business I would put out as little info as possible about how much I was selling.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I wonder if Jared had anything to do with these?

Who's Jared?

#37 3 years ago

The flyers are neat but do not tell us anything important. It would be interesting to know the production numbers. Perhaps it's best we don't know the numbers as there are some that would certainly try to inflate prices....Rarity does not necessarily mean a game is desirable or fun. Keep in mind we have production numbers for some very popular games. There are some games with low production numbers that are not expensive and some with very high production numbers that are kind of pricey.....TAF is a good example. High number produced and still very desirable today. Regardless of the numbers, demand will always drive the price.....high demand = high prices. Low demand = low prices.

#38 3 years ago

I just sent him soap-on-a-rope and a Footlong, I think he is gonna need both...

#39 3 years ago

He was running stern's social media / Facebook page.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/jared

Looks like he deactivated his pinside account. I was wondering why I hadn't seen him around for a while...

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like he deactivated his pinside account. I was wondering why I hadn't seen him around for a while...

I'm sure he's still lurking around here anonymously...

#41 3 years ago

Who in the hell tagged the Laser War flyer as "Unsafe"?

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Who in the hell tagged the Laser War flyer as "Unsafe"?

Dude, everyone knows Lasers are unsafe if you look directly at them.......lol

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

He doesn't need the footlong, but he's gonna get it.

#44 3 years ago

Laser War: Designed by Joe Kaminkow on Thanksgiving day 1986.

So, designed in ONE day? And it was Thanksgiving Day?

I don't know if that's more funny or sad, but either way it doesn't sound like something I'd brag about.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from BangBackula:

Laser War: Designed by Joe Kaminkow on Thanksgiving day 1986.
    So, designed in ONE day? And it was Thanksgiving Day?
    I don't know if that's more funny or sad, but either way it doesn't sound like something I'd brag about.

Probably just the general layout. And probably a good excuse to get away from the relatives.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Oops, my bad--wrong Jared...

#47 3 years ago

great first three games. I have all of them. DE early games are delightfully cheesy and loads of fun. Especially torpedo alley. GREAT game! Not the deepest games around but always fun to bash a ball around on.

#48 3 years ago

Madison's capitol on the Secret Service, cool. I guess Wisconsin's capitol is used as the US capitol stand-in fairly often.

#49 3 years ago

I love seeing Stern embrace their original games, I hope they figure out a way to re-release them economically (I can't!).

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I love seeing Stern embrace their original games, I hope they figure out a way to re-release them economically (I can't!).

Those would be great vault editions in my opinion. I love every one of those games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 46.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 89.99
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 64.95
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 41.00
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 149.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Siegecraft Electronics
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    £ 32.00
    There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside