• Guardians of the Galaxy Premium 7 votes
    4%
  • Aerosmith Premium 11 votes
    6%
  • Beatles Gold 12 votes
    7%

(182 votes)

#1 5 years ago

I haven’t seen this poll before and thought I’d throw it out there. The top four or five modern Sterns are pretty unanimous in popularity. I wanted to see how the next tier fared against each other.

#2 5 years ago

None of the above.
Metallica premium or iron maiden pro

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

None of the above.

I basically agree with this. Maiden is much more forgiving than MET, but neither is punishing. Both are deep.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

None of the above.

Agreed, but the point of the poll was to figure out the best of the rest.

#6 5 years ago

GoT Pro would get my vote ahead of the Premium, which I would put ahead of the rest listed here.

#7 5 years ago

I voted for BM66 but you are missing BBH on the poll.

#8 5 years ago

After seeing that list, it makes you realize that Stern hasn't produced a solid game in awhile other than (maybe) Iron Maiden. They all get so overhyped when they come out, too.

I'd have to reluctantly pick B66 despite it being a clunky shooter and being way overpriced for what it is.

#9 5 years ago

From your poll GOT premium and second would be Aerosmith premium for me.

#10 5 years ago

SW Prem is so fun. Hyperloop never ceases to be an adrenaline rush, even a year later of almost daily play.

Not surprised that it is getting so many votes.

#11 5 years ago

I’m kind of surprised Deadpool is getting so few votes. I played the Premium and was impressed with its depth (based on it being a medium ball time game) and how fun it was.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from SmallKingTut:

SW Prem is so fun. Hyperloop never ceases to be an adrenaline rush, even a year later of almost daily play.
Not surprised that it is getting so many votes.

Agreed, love the hyper loop and overall theme & gameplay, miss mine and don't miss mine every day. I don't miss the shooter lane design hitting the multiplier 3 bank for the skillshot and draining to the left outlane. I adjusted on that for 4 months trying to minimize the issue and it still remained at least on 30-40 percent of the balllaunches. While I could barely tolerate this flaw, when I had non-pinhead friends come over to play they would see the SW pin and get pulled in immediately by the theme and sounds, but then walk away with a frown, frustrated by the ball launch drains. I love a tough playing pin more than most, but an unfair pin due to a design flaw....that's why I sold it.

I would love to have a "redesigned" SW Premium where the ball launch shooter lane goes straight up to the top 3 lanes, just like it does on most other pins including GOTG, AS, BM66, etc. Even thought about doing that as a project, then the code of the skillshot being the target bank shot that idea down.....

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I’m kind of surprised Deadpool is getting so few votes. I played the Premium and was impressed with its depth (based on it being a medium ball time game) and how fun it was.

I really like my Deadpool LE, but like SW Premium more so voted for that. Deadpool code has gotten way better since release with new modes, light shows, etc. Still feels like it needs another release or two to tighten it up though, will see how it is once it hits 1.0.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

DP Pro plays so much better than it's premium. Likely the reason for lack of votes.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

None of these are top 5 sterns

Right. that's not what is in question.

#17 5 years ago

BM66 is best of this list, but I prefer SW Pro over the premium version & 66.

#18 5 years ago

SW premium is a great game that’s deep and full of modes and that’s why it got my vote. Most people who play it really don’t understand it and end up walking away with a bad taste, and that’s why I think it’s not a top 20.

#19 5 years ago

DP will stand out soon and be the game everyone wants.

#20 5 years ago

Just put a bunch of games on a SW Premium. I have never been more disappointed. In all the games we played we couldn't get the hyper loop feature even ONCE. Just ridiculous that such a cool feature is so difficult.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

SW premium is a great game that’s deep and full of modes and that’s why it got my vote. Most people who play it really don’t understand it and end up walking away with a bad taste, and that’s why I think it’s not a top 20.

A machine on location should be easier to understand. You shouldn't have to own the machine to appreciate it, like it, or see some of the cool features.

#22 5 years ago

Do any of you DP owners have the same issues as I have with my LE,
The computer fan is very loud and the bonus multiplier lights do not come on after making the shot.

#23 5 years ago

I think sw is a blast. It suffers from initial shock of should have been the best ever but it’s fun

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

A machine on location should be easier to understand. You shouldn't have to own the machine to appreciate it, like it, or see some of the cool features.

No idea where this idea comes from; silly.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No idea where this idea comes from; silly.

Really? So we should all have to own machines at home to understand them at all. I should be able to walk up to a machine on location, have fun, and be able to get some level of understanding of the code within 10 games or so. Some games do it masterfully, some don't. Not all machines are created equal. Yea, it is silly. When my family and I play machines on location we can walk up to many of them and understand what the code is guiding us to do, some machines we don't have a clue (like star wars). I couldn't even get the hyper drive feature (or whatever its called) to activate after 10 games, no clue what I was doing wrong. Lost patience with the machine and walked away. Had a lot of fun on many others.

I just wanted to see the ball whipping around that loop! Not too much to ask for...

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Really?...When my family and I play machines on location....

Yes & no.
I really think it's silly that you basically dismiss a game because you and your family can't figure it out after playing it 10 times.

Not every game is for everyone and not every game needs to be super simple to learn, because not everyone is at the same skill level.
Some games you have to invest a ton more time in to learn everything, we used to just go to the arcade and play the shit out of it which is an option rather than "having to own it."

SW takes some time if you really want to dive into it. I can't believe I have explain this to a WOZ fan, the game that literally invented the huge rules flow chart craze NOT an easy game to grasp all the intricacies of it all. Yet still a big hit on location.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yes & no.
I really think it's silly that you basically dismiss a game because you and your family can't figure it out after playing it 10 times.
Not every game is for everyone and not every game needs to be super simple to learn, because not everyone is at the same skill level.
Some games you have to invest a ton more time in to learn everything, we used to just go to the arcade and play the shit out of it which is an option rather than "having to own it."
SW takes some time if you really want to dive into it. I can't believe I have explain this to a WOZ fan, the game that literally invented the huge rules flow chart craze NOT an easy game to grasp all the intricacies of it all. Yet still a big hit on location.

Funny thing, I was going to mention WOZ. I did not like the game at all on location. We owned it for 6 months and it took forever but we started to get the hang of the rules.

We play a lot of pinball on location since we can't afford all these expensive machines. What I've learned is that for me, some games are fun on location, some are not. If anything, I am dismissing SW as a location game. But there is the problem, if I say I don't like a popular machine then the next thing someone tells me is that you have to own it at home to appreciate it and understand it. Well, I can't afford to own these all at home, so my opinion is largely based on location play. Isn't that what these things are supposed to be designed for anyway, having fun on location and earning money for an operator?

SW is still a big hit on location because of the theme more than anything.

What originally annoyed me is that I wanted the 4 of us to see that cool hyper loop feature, I was excited to check it out. Thought we could do that within 10 games, I guess not.

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Redrider:

Do any of you DP owners have the same issues as I have with my LE,
The computer fan is very loud and the bonus multiplier lights do not come on after making the shot.

The fan is "loud," at least when I compare it to my Williams games (which have no fan), but not annoyingly so since I have the music/sounds relatively loud. As far as the bonus multiplier, just make sure the ball hits the SNIKT shot AND goes up and over the ramp into the Katana. If you just hit the SNIKT shot but the ball doesn't go up and around the ramp then the playfield multiplier won't light.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tinton Falls, NJ
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
11,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
$ 10.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-this-or-that?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.