(Topic ID: 77330)

Stern "the Pin" was/is that a successful run?

By burningman

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Nevus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-554.jpg
image-910.jpg
IMG_2078.jpg
stern pin.JPG
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I noticed a picture of "the Pin" at the CES show. I had never seen it before but wanted to ask if that was a good move for Stern in producing them. Any word as to how they sold? Opinions from owners?

#2 10 years ago

Here's a pic

stern pin.JPGstern pin.JPG
#3 10 years ago

I can't believe they are still making them...they must be selling, or they went all in buying materials to make them

#4 10 years ago

I am just very confused what target market they are designed for? To me a person either wants a full size pinball or nothing at all.

#5 10 years ago

I've not heard of a single person who bought one. If your going to spend nearly $3k on "The Pin" why not just get a great classic in the same price range or a little less such as The Getaway? I think the people that are going to spend $3k on something like this would be able to spend an extra $1,500 or so and buy a Stern Pro full size pinball machine.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think the people that are going to spend $3k on something like this would be able to spend an extra $1,500 or so and buy a Stern Pro full size pinball machine.

Counldn't say it better myself

#7 10 years ago

I was scratching my head on this as well.

Not bashing Stern, I just can't see a demand for this. Shoot, you could get a CQ Dreed for that kind of money. (and still have a few bucks left over for beer)....

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I've not heard of a single person who bought one. If your going to spend nearly $3k on "The Pin" why not just get a great classic in the same price range or a little less such as The Getaway? I think the people that are going to spend $3k on something like this would be able to spend an extra $1,500 or so and buy a Stern Pro full size pinball machine.

You do now

My wife bought me one 2 yrs ago as a bday surprise.

Never had a pin before, but grew up playing High Speed and Pinbot. It was a great though on the gift. Amazon Prime. Free shipping. No tax. Free Returns too.

7 days in, drop targets wouldn't reset. Called Stern. They didn't recommend a home user try to it themselves. The playfield doesn't lift. You need to go in thru the bottom. So, I looked around and saw pin prices. It was a no brainer to return it for free and look for a full size machine. Now, I have 4 and am always looking for the next. Addiction, fueled.

As for what The Pin is like, it's not too bad, really -- if you don't have a full size machine. The sound is pretty good. The playfield is a little short and doesn't have multiple levels due to size. It plays fast due to the smaller space. Megaton has 3 drop targets in front of him (like Metallica grave markers) you need to hit to bash the Megatron target. That's the big toy. LEDs (I'm assuming there are boards in there rather than bulbs).

But The Pin isn't for us, it's for the home novice. For someone looking to fill their game room and would rather have a 125 lb machine than a 250 pounder, or has space issues.

The real problem is maintenance, but this is only an issue for the buyer, not Stern. They can make some maintenance $ off it I suppose. There a gonna be some unhappy customers due to that.

I'd never consider buying one, but The Pin has its place I guess. It's an attempt to expand pinball's (Stern's) customer base outside of the pinball community.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

7 days in, drop targets wouldn't reset. Called Stern. They didn't recommend a home user try to it themselves. The playfield doesn't lift. You need to go in thru the bottom.

So what was their solution? Just send it back?

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

But The Pin isn't for us, it's for the home novice.

This is their target, for certain. The fact that they continue to produce them means someone is buying them.

#10 10 years ago

The maintenance issue is obviously huge for the consumer they are targeting. So hard to find qualified pinball repair people…even if you do, it's costly and the person is unlikely to be familiar with "The Pin"!

Without trouble free operation, "The Pin" is a very poor purchase. I would never recommend one to a friend wanting to dip their toe into pinball. It's cool it's lighter/smaller, but I don't think the footprint is that much different. If space were that tight, I'd actually recommend no pinball rather than "The Pin".

My 2$.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Couldn't agree more. I think it's the same customer who would drop $2,500 on the "ultimate arcade" in the picture below (such a ripoff, I had to take a picture of it). I have a CQ 20 year anniversary Ms. Pacman/Galaga with 100 other games and it cost me $800 (and it's the real deal, not a fake).

I wouldn't think items this large/costly would be impulse buys, but I guess they are for some people. With just a little research, there are much better products for the money! (as you say).

IMG_2078.jpgIMG_2078.jpg
#12 10 years ago

For all the effort they put into the playfield by using real pinball parts, you would think they would try to make the cabinet and backbox look more like a real pinball machine. Gary always says that a pinball machine is a piece of furniture in the home market and is a showpiece, but to me “The Pin” is not pleasing to the eye and looks awkward to me. It’s actually hard for me to look at actually!

#13 10 years ago

Don't get it, never have.

Kids, would you like one of these or a PS4, XBOX One, laptop, iphone 5 and still have cash left over?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So what was their solution? Just send it back?

This is their target, for certain. The fact that they continue to produce them means someone is buying them.

Yep. Send it back! I couldn't tell you what they'd do outside of the return period though.

#15 10 years ago

I am not sure if and how many Stern has sold, but I completely understand the market behind this.

For upper middle class and rich folks that have personal game rooms, they want some sort of pinball to go with their pool table, slot machine, dart board, etc. When they get the idea of owning a pinball machine they visit the closest dealer and see T2 for 3800, a T3 for 4800 or some old 70s game for 1500. To someone who knows nothing about pinball, this is brand new, easier to manage (physically) and has alot of what they see in T2 and T3.

Personally, I like the idea, but I don't like the execution of it as it just has a "kids toy" look to it.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Couldn't agree more. I think it's the same customer who would drop $2,500 on the "ultimate arcade" in the picture below (such a ripoff, I had to take a picture of it).

I love that game! It gives me something to do when I go to Costco with my wife and she shops. Of course, I would never buy one because it really expensive.

#17 10 years ago

I bought a HUO POTC from a gentleman last year. He told he paid $8k for it new. I'm guessing he bought it from a retail store that didn't teach him anything. He did not even know the glass would come off. Too bad people take advantage of the unsuspecting.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I bought a HUO POTC from a gentleman last year. He told he paid $8k for it new. I'm guessing he bought it from a retail store that didn't teach him anything. He did not even know the glass would come off. Too bad people take advantage of the unsuspecting.

It is too bad that some retailers care more about getting a quick buck from a customer instead of trying to gain a life long customer that can make them more money in the long run....all while doing business fair and just.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's hobbyist logic. "Normal" people don't want to go find some game out of some random guy's garage. They also don't know why Getaway is a classic. They don't know rules, they don't know designers, they don't know what Pinside is. They don't want a used game...used = prob has issues. They don't want a technician coming over ever week. They want a new pinball with a new theme that is delivered easily, set up easily, and has a warranty. That's it. These are games for non-hobbyists who think having a new pinball might be cool. They're on the 3rd design iteration of The Pin, so they're successful.

#20 10 years ago

^^^^^Got that one on the money sir...If they aren't into the hobby and just think they look cool after playing one at the local Chucky Cheese....maybe they hit up Amazon or see it for sale at Costco and think...wow, that is neat, I should get one to put by the pool table and foosball table in the game room next to my home theater.

#21 10 years ago

FWIW, I noticed the 'Pin' at CES had a redesigned backbox and looked much better than the stock photo pictured above. It looks more like a traditional backbox and less like a toy.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

FWIW, I noticed the 'Pin' at CES had a redesigned backbox and looked much better than the stock photo pictured above. It looks more like a traditional backbox and less like a toy.

Makes it sound like Stern is drudging ahead with making them for a while…If they actually spent time to change the backbox, which I agree, does look better

#23 10 years ago

I preordered an LE model....

#24 10 years ago

During the Expo tour they were making tons of them despite everyone claiming over the last few years they are a flop.

Someone must be buying them cause they still make em.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I think it's the same customer who would drop $2,500 on the "ultimate arcade" in the picture below (such a ripoff, I had to take a picture of it).

That's what those things sold for originally? Holy cow, that's a bilking of the uninformed! I hope companies that do that go down in flames. It also explains why I see them on CL all the time for $1k+. They never sell. Now I feel sorry for those that bought them. They'd be lucky to get $500, then they'd be out two grand. Ouch.

#26 10 years ago

I hope the 'Pin' dies so more focus is paid to the real games.

#27 10 years ago

I'm interested in buying a pin for the first time, and this does interest me...I already have an Ice Chexx, Pool Table, Arcade Cab and MegaTouch, and need something that is slightly smaller than a full pin. Plus I have a younger son, 4 years old, and know that he would get some enjoyment out of this. I of course get the logic that a full size older pin can be had for the same price, but so many of the older designs are so cheezy and generic to me.

Just a view from someone about to buy his first pin...PS Don't knock the Arcade Legends 3, the emulation on it is perfect for most games, the OS is super quick, and it's the only cab that has Golden Tee Complete...You can't get that on a MAME machine.

#28 10 years ago

I am pretty sure Stern was still hocking "The Pin" at this year's CES.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I'm interested in buying a pin for the first time, and this does interest me...

If you buy it, I hope you love it, but I hope first that you'll seriously consider instead purchasing a full-sized, fully-featured pinball machine. There is so much great stuff out there in this price range and, as others have noted, for not all that much more you can buy a new-in-box Stern pro (the Star Trek pro being especially desirable, in my opinion). Is there someone in your area who is already a collector who can walk you through the options?

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I'm interested in buying a pin for the first time, and this does interest me...I already have an Ice Chexx, Pool Table, Arcade Cab and MegaTouch, and need something that is slightly smaller than a full pin. Plus I have a younger son, 4 years old, and know that he would get some enjoyment out of this. I of course get the logic that a full size older pin can be had for the same price, but so many of the older designs are so cheezy and generic to me.
Just a view from someone about to buy his first pin...PS Don't knock the Arcade Legends 3, the emulation on it is perfect for most games, the OS is super quick, and it's the only cab that has Golden Tee Complete...You can't get that on a MAME machine.

Go with one of Pinball 2000 games (Revenge from Mars, Star Wars Episode 1), they are smaller than a traditional pin.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Trace_on:

Go with one of Pinball 2000 games (Revenge From Mars, Star Wars Episode 1), they are smaller than a traditional pin.

Hmm. They may be a tad smaller footprint, but they are MUCH heavier (assuming they still have the stock CRT) and more difficult to fix if something goes wrong (PRISM computer). I just modernized mine with a 22" LCD and DELL computer…makes it considerably lighter.

From my perspective, the best choice for a first pin for a newbie is an affordable modern Stern. They built a ton of Simpson's Pinball Parties…I sold mine (single owner) for $3,500 not so long ago.

RFM is an awesome pin, I'm just not convinced it's the best "first" pinball machine.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

That's what those things sold for originally? Holy cow, that's a bilking of the uninformed! I hope companies that do that go down in flames. It also explains why I see them on CL all the time for $1k+. They never sell. Now I feel sorry for those that bought them. They'd be lucky to get $500, then they'd be out two grand. Ouch.

What's your large flat screen tv worth two years down the road?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's hobbyist logic. "Normal" people don't want to go find some game out of some random guy's garage. They also don't know why Getaway is a classic. They don't know rules, they don't know designers, they don't know what Pinside is. They don't want a used game...used = prob has issues. They don't want a technician coming over ever week. They want a new pinball with a new theme that is delivered easily, set up easily, and has a warranty. That's it. These are games for non-hobbyists who think having a new pinball might be cool. They're on the 3rd design iteration of The Pin, so they're successful.

You're obviously right that "The Pin" isn't for hobbyists. That doesn't mean a hobbyist can't give sound advice to a non-hobbyist. That's because most of us were non-hobbyists once upon a time. When I bought my first pinball machine in 2004 (LOTR) I considered buying it @ "The Sharper Image" but I didn't trust them to maintain it. I searched out a reputable distributor who I trusted to maintain it. Who is going to maintain a product you buy @ Costco? Stern's labor warranty for "The Pin" is a mere 60 days. That wouldn't work for me.

Just because Stern's developed a product for people who don't know any better, doesn't mean it's successful. It certainly isn't the future of consumer-oriented pinball. Simply a way for Stern to make a few more bucks, which is good for us since it keeps them building the products we like. From that perspective, I "get it".

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

Maybe a better example is a 2-3k pool table. When I decided to turn the pool table room into a pinball room, only got $400 for it. Almost had to donate it…very limited market.

#35 10 years ago

It's for people who are looking to buy something for their gameroom and not someone looking to get into the hobby hardcore. They decide this is better than a fancy foosball table or whatever. I think it's a overpriced and the repair issues are concerning, but I see what they were doing. Being able to have UPS ship you a pinball machine is also a really nice benefit.

By the way, it isn't a bad little table. Almost comes out to the same size playfield as a regular machine and has all the regular components you'd find. They didn't skimp in that area.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Maybe a better example is a 2-3k pool table. When I decided to turn the pool table room into a pinball room, only got $400 for it. Almost had to donate it…very limited market.

I'll pay that. Would never recommend tspp as a first pin especially to a bloke with a four year old lad. Too stop start, rules too hard to comprehend, not enough "rewarding" shots and ball length time. Rfm on the other hand will keep them both entertained with lots of Martian goodness, simple enough rules but enough modes and so much fun blowing things up.

Other first time pins I'd recommend would be: getaway, world cup soccer, Jurassic park, acdc pro and if the budget allows medieval madness. The latter however could be an expensive lesson if you find out that pinball isn't for you.

#37 10 years ago

Well if you who havent seen this:

#38 10 years ago

Yeah, but I can't go get the frame of an old TV and put all new electronics in it and get a TV that has a better screen and more features out of it.

But I can go buy a old arcade cab, add a second joystick and about 10 buttons, an LCD screen, and a computer, and MAME it out for WELL under $1000 and it'd have like 5,000 games, not just 100.

You might as well sell someone a CRT style TV with a VCR built in all in a fancy new designed case for $1500 telling them they can recreate the feel of watching TV from the 80's. Same difference.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

But I can go buy a old arcade cab, add a second joystick and about 10 buttons, an LCD screen, and a computer, and MAME it out for WELL under $1000 and it'd have like 5,000 games, not just 100.

Sure, but those are 5000 stolen games.

You can't sell that retail.

#40 10 years ago

The Pin is good for someone who has a gameroom with the usual bubble hockey, Foosball, pool table and jukebox.

It can be shipped UPS, it uses real pinball parts and gives you Ramps, Combos, Multiball, Speech, LEDs and polyphonic music for $2500.

A great choice for someone who is not a pinhead.

#41 10 years ago

Other first time pins I'd recommend would be: getaway, World Cup Soccer, Jurassic Park, acdc pro and if the budget allows Medieval Madness. The latter however could be an expensive lesson if you find out that pinball isn't for you.

2 words:

No Good Gofers.

er...wait...

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Just because Stern's developed a product for people who don't know any better, doesn't mean it's successful.

Success = worth producing because it's making a profit. The fact that they're still producing The Pin means it has to be some kind of success, even if a minor one. Any added revenue stream is beneficial to Stern, and IMO, to us hardcore hobbyists. If what Stern was doing wasn't successful, they'd still have tighter budgets and wouldn't have been able to keep bringing on more great talent as full-time employees like Greg Freres and John Trudeau! I don't have to personally like The Pin, but if it's part of the big picture and allows those guys to get salaries & benefits and make cool games, that's fine by me.

#43 10 years ago

I had a chance to play "the pin" today. I stopped in a game store today to check out there arcade games on sale and low and behold there was a new version of the Transformers. $3500 and it had a sold sign in it. I played one game on it and it was bad. If you are used to a real pinball machine it is not fun. It feels very cheap. BUT it was sold so people are buying these things. The lights did look nice on it and the sound wasn't too bad.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

If you buy it, I hope you love it, but I hope first that you'll seriously consider instead purchasing a full-sized, fully-featured pinball machine. There is so much great stuff out there in this price range and, as others have noted, for not all that much more you can buy a new-in-box Stern pro (the Star Trek pro being especially desirable, in my opinion). Is there someone in your area who is already a collector who can walk you through the options?

I am definitely looking for a "real" pin first...I am a complete noob to this, so I found Mr. Pinball yesterday, and saw that I could barter a bit, and perhaps get a new Stern Transformers or Avengers Pro for 4k-4300...I would be fine with pushing my budget from 3k, closer to 4k for a real size machine...Need to do more research, this site is awesome BTW...Love the community aspect of it, have been looking at the reviews on this site, and they are very helpful in differentiating the different tables.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Trace_on:

Go with one of Pinball 2000 games (Revenge From Mars, Star Wars Episode 1), they are smaller than a traditional pin.

Still good tables though? So, you would definitely recommend Star Wars Ep 1 over the Stern "Pin"?

I found one locally on Craigslist for $2500, I'm sure I could try and talk the guy down from there.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Still good tables though? So, you would definitely recommend Star Wars Ep 1 over the Stern "Pin"?
I found one locally on Craigslist for $2500, I'm sure I could try and talk the guy down from there.

Oh yeah - as much crap as SwEp1 gets - remember this - you're new…therefore, ANY pinball machine is going to be the COOLEST thing ever! We're all jaded and have played every game a billion times. If you're interested in a real pinball experience, yeah - get ANY full sized commercially produced game over The Pin - even SwEp1! Heh.

My first pin was Back to the Future. Most pinball hobbyists will tell you it's a garbage game…but to me - for my very first pinball? It was the best thing ever! Then you play more games, learn what you like…your tastes will grow and change as you spend more time on pinball.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I am definitely looking for a "real" pin first...I am a complete noob to this, so I found Mr. Pinball yesterday, and saw that I could barter a bit, and perhaps get a new Stern Transformers or Avengers Pro for 4k-4300...I would be fine with pushing my budget from 3k, closer to 4k for a real size machine.

Transformers LE has been selling for $4k here on Pinside!!!

TF is a game that has likely issues out of the box…you could actually save money AND get a better game by buying from a Pinside collector. We dial in our games!

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh yeah - as much crap as SwEp1 gets - remember this - you're new…therefore, ANY pinball machine is going to be the COOLEST thing ever! We're all jaded and have played every game a billion times. If you're interested in a real pinball experience, yeah - get ANY full sized commercially produced game over The Pin - even SwEp1! Heh.
My first pin was Back to the Future. Most pinball hobbyists will tell you it's a garbage game…but to me - for my very first pinball? It was the best thing ever! Then you play more games, learn what you like…your tastes will grow and change as you spend more time on pinball.

Awesome, thanks for the advice, much appreciated...I'm addicted to watching youtube videos of all these machines....Can't wait to by my first one!!

#49 10 years ago

I think that SWE1 gets a HECK of a lot more crap then it deserves. There is a lot of sitting and watching videos that you can't get out of, but the actual gameplay of it is really interesting and I think well done. You can pick what modes to play. There are LOTS of positives.

If it's in good shape and you can talk them down from $2500, that would definitely be a solid starting point. Warning though, the computers can be finicky, and then you need to figure out who Rob Anthony is so you know who can repair them if need be

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Definitely, casual players usually love Star Wars Ep1 and Revenge from Mars .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-the-pin-wasis-that-a-successful-run and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.