Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1146804_550570998324719_1767512404_o[1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Transformers-ThePin_Underside_Playfiel.jpg
stress-fry-futurama-300x279.jpg
NotOk.gif
There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 11 years ago

I was recently at Starburst, the Canadian distributor of "the pin".
I noticed the demo units were gone so I inquired.

I was told stock was sent back to Stern after they recalled the pin.

Anyone know anything about this?

*facepalm*

#2 11 years ago

They seem to still be for sale at Amazon.

#3 11 years ago

Interesting reviews on Amazon - the biggest fear of the game is what does one do when something breaks. Looks like many just said I am returning it for a refund - thats got to kill the profit margin on these things.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Looks like many just said I am returning it for a refund

To make a pinball game that is "not serviceable" is like making a car where you can't replace parts. Instant failure. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-release it after a re-work of the cab to make the playfield liftable.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

To make a pinball game that is "not serviceable" is like making a car where you can't replace parts. Instant failure. I wouldn't be surprised if they re-release it after a re-work of the cab to make the playfield liftable.

Ahhh so that was true - I figured it was one of those I don't know how to work on it or surface mounted components are non serviceable to many (right now)

#6 11 years ago

Still at Costco on Sunday.

#7 11 years ago

The playfield isn't liftable? Yikes!

#8 11 years ago

Some killer quotes in the reviews: "I consider this the finest smaller than normal sized Transformers pinball game of all time. I, however, will not be purchasing..." Good stuff!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

That's what I heard when someone asked Stern or something awhile back. I can't 100% confirm this but I believe it to be the case.

#10 11 years ago

How would service a pin like this? That's not cool

NotOk.gifNotOk.gif

#11 11 years ago

yes I am an owner (TF#17), the PF does not lift...bolted to the main cab like we did on our zizzles. I have been trying to get extra parts/spares from them since January, to no avail. Has the new hardware system though! Jpop

#12 11 years ago

The CES video showed Gary lifting the glass for minor maintenance, but he didn't address lifting the playfield. He said he wanted the Pin to be maintenance free, like 'your television.' Obviously some problems with that, but hopefully they can resolve their issues.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

yes I am an owner (TF#17), the PF does not lift...bolted to the main cab like we did on our zizzles. I have been trying to get extra parts/spares from them since January, to no avail. Has the new hardware system though! Jpop

I understand the rationale for trying to build a game that's more family friendly, but bolting the playfield to the cab seems odd to me.

#14 11 years ago

I wonder what ever happened to Avengers The Pin that was shown awhile back?

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from jpop:

So, did you buy it to learn from their hardware system?

#16 11 years ago

You can't lift the playfield on Hercules either. It can still be serviced.

You guys get very panicky.

#17 11 years ago

You can't lift the playfield on Hercules either. It can still be serviced.
You guys get very panicky.

stress-fry-futurama-300x279.jpgstress-fry-futurama-300x279.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Somewhat OT, but alot of questionable Amazon reviews. Check out the flurry of positive reviews on December 5th from users with it being their first and only review. This all came after the one star review on Dec 3rd.

Smells like smoke...better put it out!

http://www.amazon.com/Stern-Transformers-Pin-Pinball-Machine/product-reviews/B009AVLBS0/ref=cm_cr_pr_btm_link_2

#19 11 years ago

Pretty sure on the CES interviews that Gary did that he said something along the lines of it wasnt servicable because "You don't open up your TV and tinker with it when something goes wrong, you call someone to maintenance it."
Um, yes, we do open up the TV. Also, my TV doesn't have that many moving parts. The glass lifts so that you can un-stick a ball or change the rubbers, but that's it. You aren't "supposed to" need to do anything else to it.

#20 11 years ago

Just flip it over.

#22 11 years ago

They definitely put their full effort into it. I wonder if ANY sold (other than to jpop )?

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Mrw04c:

Somewhat OT, but alot of questionable Amazon reviews. Check out the flurry of positive reviews on December 5th from users with it being their first and only review. This all came after the one star review on Dec 3rd.

Smells like smoke...better put it out!

That's hilarious. I like the one where the guy is talking about the "footprint" of the pin. Like some guy who doesn't have a pinball machine or arcade game is going to be talking about the "footprint" of the machine. AND it was his first review on Amazon

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wonder if ANY sold (other than to jpop )?

The Costco manager near me said they sold 9 of them at his location.

There are over 400 Costco stores.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The Costco manager near me said they sold 9 of them.
There are over 400 Costco stores.

But how many carry The Pin? I don't believe any of the ones here in WA do.

#26 11 years ago

I had heard previously it was only Chicago Costco, is that where you are vid, or somewhere else?

I would be happy if they did sell a bunch. Otherwise it was a huge waste.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from bobbyconover:

But how many carry The Pin? I don't believe any of the ones here in WA do.

If you want one and your neighborhood incomes don't not support the sale of $2500 toys, order it through your store manager.

I'm trying to buy the floor sample when they finally run out at one of the 3 local Costcos that have them around here.

#28 11 years ago

would love a gameplay vid on the pin....

#29 11 years ago

I asked the local (GA) store manager about them before, and he looked at me weird, walked to the back, came back 5 minutes later, and said it was a regional thing in the Chicago area. Didn't offer to order one for me. They've got plenty of expensive toys for sale in the store, and a few automobiles for good measure, but not one pin or mention of a pin in sight.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

bolting the playfield to the cab seems odd to me.

You and every other rational pinhead in the world!

#31 11 years ago

They had one (not turned on) in the Costco in Boilingbrook. Not sure if it's still there, I hate going to that store... bunch of pigeons flocking to the free food with no common courtesy. Drives me nuts.

#32 11 years ago

Love my free costco sample lunches

#33 11 years ago

Really think stern could make a good niche product here if they can lower the price a little more, it's crazy not to have it serviceable though, what harm does it do for the home user who doesn't want to touch it? Not having the playfield come out makes most real pin players cringe

#34 11 years ago

I've been to half a dozen Costco stores in central Ca hoping to see one in the wild but I have yet to find one. Has anybody posted detailed pictures and or video of the machine inside and out?

#35 11 years ago

Poor guy (Amazon review: Str8Talk) who's wife got him one for his birthday. For nearly $3K she could have bought him 2 complete and functioning Baywatch pins!

#36 11 years ago

I've heard of shill bidding, so is that shill reviewing? Try to make it less obvious next time, folks.
Instead of, "The quality of this fine Stern product is on par with the full size commercial games, while providing the same level of excitement that will keep the whole family entertained for years to come."
Try, "This is awesome! I admit I was skeptical because it's smaller than a 'real' game, but it plays really fast and has fun rules and cool artwork. I thought about picking up a used 90's game for the same price, but I'd rather have a brand new game that doesn't look like it's been in a junkyard for 20 years."

#37 11 years ago

Was one ever available on Ebay?

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

I've heard of shill bidding, so is that shill reviewing? Try to make it less obvious next time, folks.
Instead of, "The quality of this fine Stern product is on par with the full size commercial games, while providing the same level of excitement that will keep the whole family entertained for years to come."
Try, "This is awesome! I admit I was skeptical because it's smaller than a 'real' game, but it plays really fast and has fun rules and cool artwork. I thought about picking up a used 90's game for the same price, but I'd rather have a brand new game that doesn't look like it's been in a junkyard for 20 years."

would you like a job in sterns marketing department haha?

shill reviews are stupidly common these days. Books are a big candidate for shill reviews.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmanguy:

it's crazy not to have it serviceable though

It is serviceable.

Don't let all the Pinside squawkers imply that it isn't, especially when they have not even seen one in person or played it, LOL.

#40 11 years ago

How can you service it if the field does not lift vid?

#41 11 years ago

I thought they were disposable.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It is serviceable.
Don't let all the Pinside squawkers imply that it isn't, especially when they have not even seen one in person or played it, LOL.

I asked a while back in another thread and noone knew but I'd read amazon reviews saying it isn't. I'm happy to be incorrect if that's the case. Wish there was some good detailed pics of it's insides.

#43 11 years ago

As I have done, you can *lay* the game on its side to service after removing the bottom mdf panel. Perhaps not the best way to adjust the flippers. Jpop

#45 11 years ago

Video of Jody saying that it is serviceable.

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

How can you service it if the field does not lift vid?

The bottom unscrews.

#47 11 years ago

No way a real pinball... oh my gosh I had to turn it off...

Quoted from vid1900:

» YouTube video
Video of Jody saying that it is serviceable.

#48 11 years ago

Here's a screenshot of the bottom

Transformers-ThePin_Underside_Playfiel.jpgTransformers-ThePin_Underside_Playfiel.jpg

#49 11 years ago

I am thinking a TF at the right price would be fun.

#50 11 years ago

If the reliability claims are true, I could definitely see a niche for this but they would have to get the cost below 2k. Also, it really, really needed a LCD. It would have given it a totally higher end look and appeal. In fact, this product line could have been their jumping off point for LCD since the simpler ruleset wouldn't have required as much programming.

If the playfields were user swap-able so that you could get a new game every couple years, that would be a selling point.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 259.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 25.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-the-pin-recall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.