20161026_221122 (resized).jpg
20161026_202700 (resized).jpg
20161026_202333 (resized).jpg
20161026_201816 (resized).jpg
20161025_173149 (resized).jpg
IMG_2080.JPG
Playfield_Promo_Comparison.jpg
Ortho_Promo_Comparison.jpg
There are 354 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.
#201 7 years ago

Doesn't matter what you (WE) drink...this is a great promotional piece that keeps pinball alive! Perfect drinking table too...

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Doesn't matter what you (WE) drink...this is a great promotional piece that keeps pinball alive! Perfect drinking table too...

Agree! Put a PBR pin in every other $2 PBR pounder can or $5 pitcher (or less) joint in the U.S. and let people have some fun! Love the idea!

#203 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Agree! Put a PBR pin in every other $2 PBR pounder can or $5 pitcher (or less) joint in the U.S. and let people have some fun! Love the idea!

put a token slot and a bill validator on every game on location get free token with every $5 pitcher to be used in the PCC game.

1 week later
#204 7 years ago

Bump

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Is this a corporate promo thing like Domino's or are they going for the hipster demographic?

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

A lot of Pabst drinkers (and hipsters) at my favorite pinball hangout.

Quoted from Vino:

When PBR was broke ass beer It wasn't a big deal.
Then it got a hipster reboot and it's a thing.

The PBR hipster demographic and the marketing campaign that it spawned is actually a fascinating story.

http://www.marketingmag.ca/brands/how-pabst-blue-ribbon-earned-its-hipster-cred-130748
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/whatll-you-have-not-a-pabst-blue-ribbon-2015-07-16

#206 7 years ago

Just received Stern's press release of the game:

The Pabst Brewing Company Announces Retro Pinball Machine

PBR-Themed “Can Crusher” Pinball Game to Debut at Comic-Con International in San Diego

pbr_can_crusher_-_game_(resized).JPGpbr_can_crusher_-_game_(resized).JPG
pbr_-_can_crusher_-_playfield_(resized).jpgpbr_-_can_crusher_-_playfield_(resized).jpg
ELK GROVE VILLAGE, IL – July 13, 2016 – The Pabst Brewing Company, makers of Pabst Blue Ribbon beer (“PBR”), today proudly announced the debut of its new PBR- Themed “Can Crusher” pinball machine. The new PBR machine will make its debut at Comic-Con International in San Diego on July 21st through July 24th at booth 501. The game was developed in partnership with Stern Pinball, Inc., the world's oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball machines

The “Can Crusher” pinball machine captures the iconic nature of the PBR brand with a retro game design, dynamic eye-popping art by artist and pinball phenomenon Dirty Donny and music by hard-hitting heavy metal band Red Fang.

The debut of this machine will not stop with its arrival at Comic-Con. Following Comic- Con, PBR will showcase the exclusive machine at several other venues including concerts, barcades, high profile events, and other community activities.

“To partner with Stern Pinball on the ‘Can Crusher’ and have a superstar artist like Dirty Donny and music from Red Fang was exactly what we set out to do when we wanted to make a pinball machine the PBR way. The game does a great job of capturing the essence of our brand,” said Pabst CMO Dan McHugh.

About Pabst Brewing Company
With over 30 beers in our portfolio, Pabst Brewing Company is the largest American- owned brewery. Since 1844, we’ve taken pride in brewing beers that have become iconic, cherished American brands. Brands that promote regional pride, and brands that express common bonds amongst people all over the world.

Pabst is honored to be part of so many lives. We work tirelessly to provide worthy products and memorable experiences in local communities. Loyalty is hard to come by these days. Being your beer of choice is a great privilege, which is why we deliver nothing less than award-winning taste and quality.

Trust your good times to Pabst. http://pabstbrewingco.com

About Stern Pinball, Inc.
Stern Pinball, Inc., headquartered just outside Chicago, Illinois, is the oldest and largest producer of arcade-quality pinball games in the world. Stern’s highly talented creative and technical teams design, engineer and manufacture a full line of popular pinball games, merchandise and accessories. Recent Stern titles include Ghostbusters, Spider- Man Vault, Game of Thrones, KISS, WWE WrestleMania, The Walking Dead, Mustang, Star Trek, Metallica, The Avengers, X-Men, AC/DC, Tron, Transformers, Avatar, Iron Man, Batman, and many more! All of Stern’s pinball games are crafted by hand and assembled by Stern’s expert team. A broad range of players enjoy Stern’s games from professional pinball players that compete in high-stakes international competitions around the globe to novice players who are discovering the allure of the silver ball for the first time. To join the fun and learn more, please visit http://www.sternpinball.com.
###

#207 7 years ago

My initial thoughts:
- game looks great
- not a word on pricing of the game and though what channels available
- since it's the same playfield layout as Whoa Nellie, why not mention designer Dennis Nordman as well?

It will be intersting to see how many will be made and at what pricepoint it will be offered.

#208 7 years ago

Looks very nice. Like the blue cabinet and legs, artwork etc.

#209 7 years ago

Aesthetics of cabinet, play field, head box and crate on WNBJM are waaaaaaaaaaay better me thinks.
Still very good for pinball as they may pop up in pubs around the world. Shame the beer is average.

#210 7 years ago

meh. next.

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

Shame the beer is average.

That's being charitable. PBR has a lower rating on www.RateBeer.com than Fosters Lager.

#212 7 years ago

And FOSTERS is crap too, no one in Aus that I know of drinks this swill.

#213 7 years ago

When it comes to American lagers, the beer that tastes the closest to ice water wins. PBR comes damn close, IMHO.

It's a one-note beer that tastes great at a hot summer picnic. Nothing wrong with that!

It's not a craft beer and it's not trying to be.

Personally, if American lager is what I'm drinking ( not too often), PBR is my go-to.

Oh, and the pinball machine looks pretty cool as well.

Terry.

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

if American lager is what I'm drinking ( not too often)

Taste is a very personalized thing. I lived in Europe for 5 years, and drank a lot of great beers during that time, but eventually settled on a preference for ales and stouts. American lagers are just too watered down for my taste. Give me a choice between Guinness, PBR, and bottled water, I'd pick the Guinness first, the bottled water second, and pass on the PBR.

I like the pin, though. WNBJM is a great game, and the artwork is fantastic. I don't care for the theme, so I'd never own one (I'd pick WNBJM instead), but I'd definitely drop coins into it on location.

#215 7 years ago

According to Stern Facebook you buy direct from PBR, which seems odd, but I guess that is how Spooky does it with Dominos...

#216 7 years ago

Would have hoped Stern released a NEW retro game instead of just a retheme I still prefer whoa nellies artwork and theme over pabst, but yeah..would have hoped for a totally new nordman-design

#217 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

this is a great promotional piece that keeps pinball alive!

This.

...and that's exactly why I'm very happy to see a title like this. If I owned a beer brand that's competing with Pabst, I'd be calling Stern right now to check out the possibilities to get a pinball machine made with my brand name on it. I think that this machine shows that a pinball machine still is one of the coolest marketing possibilities for a company. And I hope it will give other companies an idea. It might be a very smart move by Stern.

And you can make fun of the hipster community all you want (I do too, sometimes ). But I think they are the most likely group to keep public pinball alive right now. Here in Amsterdam we've got two flourishing arcades, where a big part of the players are hipsters.

Just my $0.02.

#218 7 years ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Here in Amsterdam we've got two flourishing arcades, where a big part of the players are hipsters.
Just my $0.02.

Interesting, where and what are these called?
I was in amsterdam in May, but when i googled after pinball places, mostly it was coffee shops with no beers or alcohol... which we naturally avoided.

#219 7 years ago

I want to put the game code in my WNBJM and confuse myself.
Just like Shrek with Family Guy code or vice versa

#220 7 years ago
Quoted from Edenecho:Interesting, where and what are these called?
I was in amsterdam in May, but when i googled after pinball places, mostly it was coffee shops with no beers or alcohol... which we naturally avoided.

Naturally.

The 2 arcades I'm talking about are both called TonTon club. One is in the Red Light District, the other one is in Westerpark. Their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/detontonclub/

I recommend going to the one in Westerpark. It's in a less touristy place and Westerpark is a very nice place with lots of cultural activities. Right now, the line up there is BttF, GoT pro, Sopranos, TWD pro. It changes pretty regularly, though. The overall condition of the machines is very good, although they do get a lot of play. They've also got nice beers (yes, hipster beers as well ) and nice burgers.

#221 7 years ago

I thought the next Stern would have an LCD display

#222 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Maybe they upgraded the dot matrix on the apron to an LCD. If they didn't, I'm not buying. Come on, Stern! Get with the times!

#223 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

The LCD is located in the left corner of the apron.

#224 7 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing video of this game....will be a rarity in Australia and moreso around where I live. Really loving the look of it!

#225 7 years ago

I want one , price ???? Anyone know who to contact

#226 7 years ago

Was excited when I heard Dirty Donny was making another Pin. Not excited when I saw this...

#227 7 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Was excited when I heard Dirty Donny was making another Pin. Not excited when I saw this...

You'll be happy to know he's making another pin in addition to this then ?

#228 7 years ago

I really like the look of the game and retro play style. Limiting it isn't a bad thing either in my opinion. If Stern needs to re-theme a playfield to make economics, maybe then we'll see more of these retro style games with more variety and niche themes and styling, both which I think would be fantastic. My hope is they use up those BJM/PCC parts and set up the line for a new pair of themes on a new similarly retro design.

#229 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Give me a choice between Guinness, PBR, and bottled water, I'd pick the Guinness first, the bottled water second, and pass on the PBR

If we all liked the same beer there would be only one.

I love me some Guinness as well. Although it is not nearly as heavy as many Americans perceive it to be, it is not what I would throw back on a hot day.

Guinness is rarely poured correctly (Tommy Nevin's does a nice job though) in the US, so its at its best when poured in Ireland. I drink almost nothing but Guinness when there, and the weather is perfect for it. On the rare *hot* day I'll switch to Smithwick's.

The PBR machine fits squarely into the company's hipster vibe, so I think its a great investment for them and will reap rewards. I'm not sure how they will quantify said rewards though, as they won't be the one emptying the cash boxes. I'm not even sure a full cash box means more PBR sales, but I'll assume they know what they are doing.

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

The PBR machine fits squarely into the company's hipster vibe, so I think its a great investment for them and will reap rewards. I'm not sure how they will quantify said rewards though, as they won't be the one emptying the cash boxes. I'm not even sure a full cash box means more PBR sales, but I'll assume they know what they are doing.

I agree. It's a perfect fit for the company's hipster vibe.

In my opinion, this is mostly a marketing move designed to reinforce brand awareness in its target demographic, rather than to maximize coin drop from the pins themselves. This appears to be similar to Pabst's sponsorships of bicycle messenger rodeos and DJ competitions. I suspect the ROI for both Pabst and the buyers will come from higher foot traffic and increased food and beverage sales in a barcade environment like Headquarters or Logan's.

I will be curious to see whether Neil will try to acquire one or two for his Headquarters locations? Is that particular clientele more hipsters or yuppies?

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I once saw the dude with the tattoos at Shorty's in Seattle.

That certainly narrows it down to ALL OF THE MEMBERS OF THE BAND!

#232 7 years ago
Quoted from MXV:

That certainly narrows it down to ALL OF THE MEMBERS OF THE BAND!

Hahaha yes, now that I read it again I guess that's a funny statement... the guy with the face tattoos I meant.

#233 7 years ago

Another winner! Who's gonna drop $5k for this turd?

#234 7 years ago

I seen Red Fang open for Opeth at a concert over a year ago, the Red Fang merch guy selling shirts, LP and goodies was deeply into classic pinball namely classic Stern and Bally tables we had a great conversation. This is no surprise that they are doing the soundtrack in the game. It's awesome to see this. It should do very well.

#235 7 years ago

Looks like they like PBR and vans too. Perfect match!

red-fang_(resized).jpgred-fang_(resized).jpg

RedFang_Car_4_Edit_lr_(resized).jpgRedFang_Car_4_Edit_lr_(resized).jpg

#236 7 years ago

Last year when I heard a re-theme of WN was a possibility, I was glad to hear it. I love playing WN, but the theme was a little sophomoric for me. Now that I see PCC, I would take WN any day. This theme is a big detractor despite the Dirty Donnie artwork.

#237 7 years ago

Sophomoric/ juvenile is firkin AWESOME dude. I dont want to grow up.
Yes I had to look up what it meant

#238 7 years ago

Dirty Donny, from Stern's FB page.

13698211_10154335776634244_3698837329897513464_o_(resized).jpg13698211_10154335776634244_3698837329897513464_o_(resized).jpg

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

If this was Hamm's beer themed it could sell out in the upper Midwest alone
And the art would be a given...

I've been collecting artwork for several years with hopes of finally having time/skills to do a nice Hamm's re-theme. It will be a thing of beauty for sure.

#240 7 years ago

A few pics of this rarity making its way to comic con this week

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#241 7 years ago

Ever wonder is Stern is going retro, because they can't keep up with the ultra pins from JJP? Just a query.

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from Fuego:

Ever wonder is Stern is going retro, because they can't keep up with the ultra pins from JJP? Just a query.

Haha!

#243 7 years ago

So, when and how can you buy that thing?

#244 7 years ago

where are the nipples?

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from Fuego:

Lol

#246 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Worst is I was asking a serious question... I have no clue whats so ever what Pabst is. As a Canadian we don't get this kind of beer here.

Is the cheapest beer up there still like $40 a case?

#247 7 years ago

I like it. Looks like a lot of fun to mix in with the other pins. I am kind of wondering what the price point is on a pin like this?

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Is the cheapest beer up there still like $40 a case?

And they cover their fries with Gravy? Whats going on up there???

#249 7 years ago

Looks even better in person!

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Looks like they like PBR and vans too. Perfect match!

Those are Hamm's cans, not PBR. Hamm's is pretty decent for a cheapie beer. Better than PBR. The worst beer ever is Utica Club! That stuff tastes like chemical soaked cardboard!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

4,894 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 354 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-the-pabst-can-crusher/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.