(Topic ID: 45822)

Stern "The Classic Collection". Would you buy one?

By Quicksilver1

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by OTTOgd
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cliff_Hanger.jpg
pinballbystern1.jpg
pinballbystern2.jpg
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#53 11 years ago

Very cool.

Do you have a price yet? ( I looked and could not find).

Can us restorers get them without clear coat so we can lay down our best work?

Thanks!

#54 11 years ago
Quoted from DrJoe:

Almost half of the M-200 Sterns, which are most certainly the more interesting titles (Meteor and later), are widebodies. Kind of throws a monkey wrench into the mix......

Nothing is going to be perfect for everybody.

But, you could adapt regular playfields to fit in a widebody cab and have a filler strip on the left side

Or you just have to pick your sides, widebody or regular (or really, just build both).

#55 11 years ago

No,I wouldn't buy any Classic Remakes.Prices would be outrageous and rules would be different,most likely with Code issues.

#56 11 years ago

Especially this
Cliff_Hanger.jpgCliff_Hanger.jpg

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from D_Graunch:

Problem would be that Stern Electronics and Stern Pinball are different companies.

QFT.

And I wonder, who owns the rights to all the old Stern Electronics / Stern Seeburg designs and titles?

#58 11 years ago

There are classic Sterns?

#59 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Nothing is going to be perfect for everybody.
But, you could adapt regular playfields to fit in a widebody cab and have a filler strip on the left side
Or you just have to pick your sides, widebody or regular (or really, just build both).

I like the idea of having filler strips on the sides. We're only talking about a couple of inches.

#60 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

I like the idea of having filler strips on the sides. We're only talking about a couple of inches.

Really the filler strip will be only on the left side, the right side will need to be flush to align with the shooter rod (unless you want a 2nd mounting hole & cover plate for the rod).

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

No,I wouldn't buy any Classic Remakes.Prices would be outrageous and rules would be different,most likely with Code issues.

The BOM would be under $1000, so even at retail they would be priced around "The Pin" price point.

Rules would be the same, as all of the game codes fit on one chip.

Look at the $189 Alltek board, and see that every Bally and Stern game is already installed on the CPU:

http://www.allteksystems.com/products-mpu-replacements.html#mpu

Just flip the switches to choose your game.

#62 11 years ago

And if you're making new playfields there is no reason not to stick an ID chip on the playfield so that the CPU can detect the game title.

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from ChadTower:

And if you're making new playfields there is no reason not to stick an ID chip on the playfield so that the CPU can detect the game title.

RFID or Bluetooth?

#64 11 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

There are classic Sterns?

Catacomb is a classic if you need one example. And a damn good one...

#65 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

RFID or Bluetooth?

No need for wireless. Just stick a small PCB under the playfield near the back and run a pair of wires to it into the adapter harness. Or if no adapter then just run an additional small harness.

#66 11 years ago

in no particular order the best STERN games that I would buy in a heartbeat if they were remade are Star Gazer, BIG GAME and Seawitch.

#67 11 years ago

I'm in for a Seawitch or a nine ball for "the pin" prices..

#68 11 years ago

I'd think an updated Seawitch or Catacomb are the only ones I'd buy new.

#69 11 years ago

Well, Interesting. Glad everyone is finally loving the classic sterns so when they are found they don't get pitched as I have found many of mine. It would be good to see an entire game. You could put the entire game on 1 or 2 boards and have an integrated bus instead of the big harness with PCB boards underneath the playfield. It could be done really cheap. The most expensive stuff is the wood and backglass.

#70 11 years ago

...and all of those NLA Stern playfield parts.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Catacomb is a classic if you need one example. And a damn good one...

It is a great game ... but a tough one to score well on. I have only completed the 'toast' once in the two+ years I've owned Catacomb.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lightning. Good game that I hope to own one day.

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

It is a great game ... but a tough one to score well on. I have only completed the 'toast' once in the two+ years I've owned Catacomb.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lightning. Good game that I hope to own one day.

Yea, The "cat' is such a great game and yes it is a BITTCCHHH"...to complete the Toast. I have owned the game for many years and I can only count a handful of times I have completed the toast. I think my high on my game after hundreds if not thousands of play's is 1.5 mil. It is such a great game and it keeps you coming back for more. The rules on YouTube that Scott Charles put out there is an outstanding video explaining the game play.

I am fortunate. My catacomb is my nicest classic stern and looks brand new. yea I paid a few extra bucks for it; but well worth it. An un-restored perfect original. Again will be at the funeral.

Bill

#73 11 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I am fortunate. My catacomb is my nicest classic stern and looks brand new. yea I paid a few extra bucks for it; but well worth it. An un-restored perfect original. Again will be at the funeral.

I was really hoping a Catacomb would make to the TPF, was dissapointed one didn't appear. Perhaps I will have etter luck at the Houston expo in November.

#74 11 years ago

Meteor was not a wide body.

#75 11 years ago

And I have two myself, Meteor and Stingray! And I love them.

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

... The rules on YouTube that Scott Charles put out there is an outstanding video explaining the game play.

Yeah, awesome tutorial:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 959.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 169.00
$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 169.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 76 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-the-classic-collection-would-you-buy-one/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.