Topic Stats

• 92 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Captain_Kirk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Sternnnnnn 006.jpg
same twins.JPG
310732.jpg
image-620.jpg
care bears.gif
stern-star-trek-compare-playfields.jpg

There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Stern, thank you for making a game with a truly great theme and playfield layout. The flow is amazing, the multiple missions provide lots of depth and multiple ways to play, and it has one of the best, most satisfying shots in pinball (Warp ramp). While the code needs a bit of polishing to correct problems mostly noticeable by the above average players, it is still an incredible game that is perfectly playable.

(Stern, please note that I am not letting you off the hook for fixing the code. That should be done and done promptly. I just want to offer a forum to counter the negativity directed at the game at this time. Some people's comments make the game seem like a disaster that is hardly playable. Nothing could be further from the truth. So, please polish off the code so the chatter will finally die down, and we can all go back to discussing the strategy and positive aspects of this pin.)

#2 4 years ago

Totally agree. My favorite game. Not going anywhere.

#3 4 years ago

I love my STLE... and play it all the time

#4 4 years ago

I agree, I love this game. The theme, shots, missions, multiballs the call outs etc. are just may cup of tea very enjoyable. This was the first NIB stern I purchased. Actually, I have no problem with the code maybe because I'm a average player at best.

#5 4 years ago

I concurred !! Great thread !!

Star Trek is my very first pin and the first pin I played since the early 90s.

My friends thought I was crazy to spend that much money on a pin and said I would play it for a week and then it would sit and collect dust. I had my ST since September and I still itch to play it everyday. The flow and how deep the code is (even though people say it's unfinished) keeps me entertained

Just 2 suggestions
1) have a kickback for the left outer lane for twdle
2) give hints on your coming titles so I can save for it.

#6 4 years ago

Don't own it,but played it at Expo and really liked it. Might put one next to my STTNG when the restore is finished. That would be a nice 1-2 punch.

#7 4 years ago

I agree its a great game. I don't care if you are a beginner, average, or expert player...Its simple, Stern owes it to the owners to complete/fix the code. We paid through the nose for this title and that's what we deserve.

#8 4 years ago

Yes I love it.

Yes I want my bolder flashers, backbox flashers extra coded. No excuse these aren't active during gameplay.

#9 4 years ago

First pin that has lasted longer than a year for me and I've had over 70 pins come in and out over the last 5 years so something special with my STLE. The look and gameplay are just incredible and StarTrek is such a great theme for pinball. I think the final code update will make this a classic pin that beats any of the top 10 for me.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Don't own it,but played it at Expo and really liked it. Might put one next to my STTNG when the restore is finished. That would be a nice 1-2 punch.

U mean a nice 1 - 2 punch "it"

#11 4 years ago

ST has to be one of the fastest, best flowing games ever made. You can try to slow things down, but the game was designed to be played on the fly. It may be smart to occasionally hold the ball in competition, but at home you're just cheating yourself out of the challenge and fun.

#12 4 years ago

its a nice pin for sure, lots of positive, but also some negative, as for example the black hole target giving a mystery... that you cant watch on the DMD as the game continues with ball in play

!?

#13 4 years ago

I cannot get over my LE having things on the playfield that do not interact with the game. For me this kills the game. If someone wants to buy mine I'm open to fair offers on it. It has topper and several upgrades. I just cannot get over the lackluster code

#14 4 years ago

Can anyone share their thoughts with the differences between the Pro vs Prem/LE? Is it worth the upgrade? Does the pro seem like its "missing" something? (I feel that way with X-Men for example)

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I cannot get over my LE having things on the playfield that do not interact with the game.

What things?

#16 4 years ago

I also agree. Enough Hate on Stern for code. About time there was some positive feedback. While I can see the need for new ST code, I rather have a game in the basement with 75% finished code then being in a "waiting line"with thousands of dollars of my money in someone else's pocket ( by the way I really like the JJP products, as well, so not trying to pick at them at all)

#17 4 years ago

Yes ST is a great playing pin, many players don't really realize the depth and breadth of the game. I have almost made it to 5 yr mission three times but just missed and dying to get there, keeps me going and wanting to finish that wizard mode. Yes, the code has issues and is buggy, yes it is awful for tournament play right now, but it does have a wonderful flowy layout, great call outs and spectacular light show especially if you have the LE. It is a ton of fun and hopefully will get an epic code package to go with a beautiful well layed out machine... Now Stern get off your ass and get that code update done.

#18 4 years ago

Another great Steve Ritchie pin, that's for sure.

LTG : )™

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I cannot get over my LE having things on the playfield that do not interact with the game. For me this kills the game. If someone wants to buy mine I'm open to fair offers on it. It has topper and several upgrades. I just cannot get over the lackluster code

This doesn't seem to fit in the thread title? Perhaps start a new one for the sale.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Can anyone share their thoughts with the differences between the Pro vs Prem/LE? Is it worth the upgrade? Does the pro seem like its "missing" something? (I feel that way with X-Men for example)

Mostly gimmicks/looks - the VUK for the left saucer, the Vengence does the "die" move full-tilt forward, Laser field for multiball, art package ( i have the LE), the laser traces in the side cabinet rails and warp ramp.

So if you like bling, and the enterprise on the BG (rather than characters), go for the LE. Its not like the big differences with an ACDC lower PF or and extra MB mode like Tron in design or code.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

I also agree. Enough Hate on Stern for code. About time there was some positive feedback. While I can see the need for new ST code, I rather have a game in the basement with 75% finished code then being in a "waiting line"with thousands of dollars of my money in someone else's pocket ( by the way I really like the JJP products, as well, so not trying to pick at them at all)

And SteveR wants changes as do coders, it won't end with 1.42

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

If u can afford it and if there is LE in nice shape close to you. Get the LE.

I only have a pro and I have never seen a LE in my life. But the light show on the playfield really adds to the gaming experience. The extra toys in the playfield and LE features on the exterior really makes it standout in a great way just sitting. It's almost like the Mona Lisa

As for game play. The vuk kickout into the flipper is really nice. No worries about a ball drain from the vuk.

But even the pro you can't to wrong. The game is mad fun to play.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I thought this image was a nice comparison. I for one love metal ramps, so the metal on the right ramp area is what made the Premium my choice. The laser in the cabinet is also a fun gimmick especially if you upgrade it.

So premium has more toys, the vengeance crashes.

And.. for what it's worth. From Premium to LE, even the Premium's have a sticker that says "LE" on the playfield. The biggest difference in the LE is the awesome mirrored backglass, different art and the cool laser cut lit siderails (that also shine inside the cabinet)

I don't (personally) like modding LE's so we went w/ a premium. You can probable get the premium for less than you think, too. Hit up Trent @ Tilt Amusements for pricing on a NIB.

Great game, we love ours.

stern-star-trek-compare-playfields.jpg
#24 4 years ago

I love my STLE and Im enjoying the code just fine. The cosmetic extras ore over the top on this one and it is a beautiful game.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I love my STLE and Im enjoying the code just fine. The cosmetic extras ore over the top on this one and it is a beautiful game.

How can you enjoy features you paid extra for not working or implemented into the game play?

#26 4 years ago

Asteroid flashers do not work, chase lights do not work, vuk was supposed to work both ways and only works one.

My friend has a pro and I think the pro has more bang for your buck. The LE is currently a joke

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Asteroid flashers do not work, chase lights do not work, vuk was supposed to work both ways and only works one.
My friend has a pro and I think the pro has more bang for your buck. The LE is currently a joke

I don't think there is much "bang for the buck" when it comes LEs or special edition or anniversary edition items

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

This what people that can't afford an LE say. The Pro is a great machine, and great value considering what you get. However The LE is simply stunning with its light show yes gameplay is similar other than the added VUK but It ends there for the comparisons. Maybe it isn't worth the extra dollars for some it all depends on what you value in a machine. But no one can deny that STLE artisticly has the greatest amount of changes in any recent machine to date its laser cut rails in itself are impressive. .

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

its a nice pin for sure, lots of positive, but also some negative, as for example the black hole target giving a mystery... that you cant watch on the DMD as the game continues with ball in play
!?

You want to stop flow so you dan look at the DMD?

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Wait, what chase lights don't work?

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Of the recent Sterns, ST pro is the most complete package compared with their associated LEs. It has the RGB shot inserts. The LE has the VUK which is not that big of a deal. The kickback is nice, but the rest is just aesthetics.

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I just want to offer a forum to counter the negativity directed at the game at this time. Some people's comments make the game seem like a disaster that is hardly playable

Thanks for this thread! I thought about doing one of these but just figured I would get railroaded by the "regulars" who treat ST like the urinal of pinball.

I just don't understand the relentless pounding of stern who actually puts deposit free games in our hands....

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from ek77:

You want to stop flow so you dan look at the DMD?

I'm sure he wants an audio call out. Not to stop flow.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Sent you a PM.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

This what people that can't afford an LE say. The Pro is a great machine, and great value considering what you get. However The LE is simply stunning with its light show yes gameplay is similar other than the added VUK but It ends there for the comparisons. Maybe it isn't worth the extra dollars for some it all depends on what you value in a machine. But no one can deny that STLE artisticly has the greatest amount of changes in any recent machine to date its laser cut rails in itself are impressive. .

Hank has one of the most impressive collection of games in the world. He owns the LE and is honest about his views, which is why I take his opinion seriously.

ST is likely my next game, and I'm waffling between the Pro, Premium, or LE. We'll see in a few months...

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Thanks for this thread! I thought about doing one of these but just figured I would get railroaded by the "regulars" who treat ST like the urinal of pinball.
I just don't understand the relentless pounding of stern who actually puts deposit free games in our hands....

I was actually almost expecting a bunch of thumbs downs instead of thumbs ups, but this is exactly why I wanted to start this thread. It is great that this thread has stayed largely positive. There is too much bashing of this pin as of late because people are understandably frustrated with how long the final code is taking. But the reality is that this is a great pin that deserves way more praise than criticism.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

When did Stern ever say the asteroids would be interactive? Or the side rails for that matter? They are just cosmetic things. If they were not 'asteroids' and instead just normal hat lights would it be such an issue? Complaining about 'non working' siderail lighting?? what? Before this game, there had never been a production game with animated laser cut siderails at all by anyone. Most of this is the result of getting waaay caught up in the little quibbles that tend to become insurmountable hurdles when the herd effect hits. Almost everything I read that is hyped up as being so critical as to make the game unplayable are in reality just really minor things that you could say about pretty much any game ever made if that's what your mind wanted to do. Can I say the game is a trainwreck because a few lights don't blink or an animation isn't to my taste? nah, not really.

#38 4 years ago

The le is one of the best looking game around and i am very happy the game was made in the first place,I am sure it will be finished in time,the start of Klingon mb has to be one of the best in pinball and the pre/le with the laser is imho the best mb start in pinball ,game must have shaker

#39 4 years ago

I love Star Trek. I do hope they finish the code.

But I don't own one so I don't have skin in the game.

I have played Star Trek with several new pinball players, and they really enjoyed it. I think that's important.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from gamestencils:

When did Stern ever say the asteroids would be interactive? Or the side rails for that matter? They are just cosmetic things. If they were not 'asteroids' and instead just normal hat lights would it be such an issue? Complaining about 'non working' siderail lighting?? what? Before this game, there had never been a production game with animated laser cut siderails at all by anyone. Most of this is the result of getting waaay caught up in the little quibbles that tend to become insurmountable hurdles when the herd effect hits. Almost everything I read that is hyped up as being so critical as to make the game unplayable are in reality just really minor things that you could say about pretty much any game ever made if that's what your mind wanted to do. Can I say the game is a trainwreck because a few lights don't blink or an animation isn't to my taste? nah, not really.

There are flashers inside the asteroids. It's not just a cosmetic thing. They don't light at all unless you go into test mode. Would you expect a dome in a flasher in it to light up at some point during gameplay?
Does it make it unplayable.....No! Should the flashers inside them flash....Yes!
Minor.....yes! Paid for feature at launch.....Yes! Working......No!

You have a Tron LE (in your pinside collection). If the ramp lights did nothing would you care? It doesn't really make Tron unplayable? Does it?

Others are complaining the games code sucks. I don't agree with this personally. If that was the case I would have sold the game already. I love the game, just would like the features of the LE/Premium to actually work.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from bcrage88:

Yes ST is a great playing pin

Thanks to you I get to play it on occasion. The Star Trek LE is a stand out game. The cut outs in the cabinet and back box must be a first in a standard pinball. Lights every were, and the Laser thingy.

#42 4 years ago

I love my Star Trek and think it is one of Sterns best.
However it has flaws and I want Stern to know.
Everyone just assumes people are complaining. Sure some people are, but most of us just want it to be the best it can be.
Nothing wrong with that.

#43 4 years ago

I love my Star Trek and to those who don't I say "what the heck?". It's got the best flow and a great light show; plus the excellent sound keeps me around. It would be great if it got some new code; but even without mine's not hitting the road.

#44 4 years ago

I love my ST. I do hope it gets a code update to fix the bugs... Starting to appear less likely sadly.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I love my ST. I do hope it gets a code update to fix the bugs... Starting to appear less likely sadly.

Nah, it'll happen, I'm confident of that. Just sucks to wait around with no clue in the meantime.

#46 4 years ago

I just bought a ST pro so maybe I am still high off the new pinball smell but I think it is my favorite pin ever. I first played it at expo last year and knew right away I had to have one. I love the lighting with the clear plastics and the amazing sounds. Gameplay is just what I like - classic fun pinball with loads of ramp shots, combos, great flow, and easy to follow rules. Even my daughter's best friend (9 years old) who hardly cared about my other pin (Getaway), loved ST. She was able to get to multiball modes, interact with the Vengeance toy, and hit basic shots. She played game after game and had a blast even though she is not very good at it. As an average or hopefully above average player, I am still working on getting deeper into the game and loving it just the same.

I have not noticed any bugs or weirdness with my code. Maybe they are deeper in the game where I have not got yet. Improvements are always welcome but I am happy with what I got. I just added a shaker motor to make the experience even better.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

I love my Star Trek and think it is one of Sterns best.
However it has flaws and I want Stern to know.
Everyone just assumes people are complaining. Sure some people are, but most of us just want it to be the best it can be.
Nothing wrong with that.

I hope no one takes this thread as a criticism for people who are making genuine complaints. As I said in the initial post, I don't want Stern to be off the hook for fixing the code issues. However, there are numerous threads out there complaining about the code, and some of the comments are just way over the top, making the pin seem like junk that is not worth buying. I thought we could use a forum to emphasize the positive, and I'm really happy that this thread has done just that.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I have not noticed any bugs or weirdness with my code. Maybe they are deeper in the game where I have not got yet. Improvements are always welcome but I am happy with what I got. I just added a shaker motor to make the experience even better.

I think a lot of them are deeper, and they seem to be more noticeable by the above average players. I'm just average so I really haven't noticed any major issues. The pin is perfectly playable as far as I'm concerned and could just use a bit of final polish. I have a shaker as well, and it is great in this pin. You get a nice rumble with the flow of every made shot and combo as a reward. Really great effect!

#49 4 years ago

I love my STLE too! Great game Steve Ritchie and Stern!

#50 4 years ago

This game is #1 on my wanted list. The more I see, the more there is to like. Flashy, fast, and fun.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
There are 92 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside