Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by kermit24
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I’m still new with all this and was wondering how stern’s Tech support has been with others?
    I’ve recently had a couple dealings and they are willing to fix things but come off as very defensive and arrogant at times.
    It’s a shame. I like their products and plan to buy more!

#2 4 years ago

all my dealings have been good, but only had 1 real issue that they eventually resolved. Sometimes I think the distributor needs to be more involved to get things to happen faster.

#3 4 years ago

I had to call once due to an issue with the photon torpedo lights on STLE. All I received in response was, "How come you're calling here? Why aren't you calling your distributor?" I explained that my distributor was 5 hours away, that I was more that competent to repair the issue and that I just needed a few questions answered. "You need to call your distributor", is what I was told. My distributor bitched about the Stern tech that I spoke with and promised to get the issue fixed, which was never done. Ultimately, I repaired it myself and it was exactly what I thought it was. Many may rave about them, but the one time that I needed them, it was a total let down.

#4 4 years ago

I have never had any issues with Stern support and always had everything resolved promptly.

I also worked through my distributor in all of these cases though!

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from tpir:

I have never had any issues with Stern support and always had everything resolved promptly.
    I also worked through my distributor in all of these cases though!

yea, I think this is where you need to pick your distributor wisely now. Are they going to be around after the sell?? Most will not.

#6 4 years ago

I've had a few issues with my Sterns during the warranty period, but I just call Cointaker and Melissa handles everything for me. I tell her what's wrong and what I've done to try and fix the problem. If I haven't explored all the options, her husband calls me back and gives me some additional ideas. If I can't get it fixed, parts magically show up at my door.

Short version: Buy your machines from Cointaker and let them deal with Stern.

#7 4 years ago

It seems to depend on the person you get somewhat. The person I talked to was nice and helpful, but didn't seem to know anything about the tech they were 'helping' me with.

#8 4 years ago

I had to call yesterday, my first time. guy who answered was very nice. he knew what the problem was and told me where to check and what to do.

#9 4 years ago

They have always been nice and helpful with me.

#10 4 years ago

OP: Who did you speak with at Stern? I have had pretty good luck on a number of occasions. Sometimes they do need to be reminded to send out parts. Usually when the parts are on backorder, they don't remember to send when they get replenished. So check in every week or two until you get a resolution.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I've had a few issues with my Sterns during the warranty period, but I just call Cointaker and Melissa handles everything for me. I tell her what's wrong and what I've done to try and fix the problem. If I haven't explored all the options, her husband calls me back and gives me some additional ideas. If I can't get it fixed, parts magically show up at my door.

Short version: Buy your machines from Cointaker and let them deal with Stern.

^^^^
    This, replacing Cointaker with Nitro (or good distributor of your choice).

After about 1500 plays on my Beatles, the lower right flipper started sticking in the up position. I emailed Tommy FlipperFreak and he put me in contact with Nitro tech support. After some troubleshooting via email and phone, they worked with Stern, and parts including improved springs, coil stop, coil sleeve and flipper plunger/paw showed up at my door a week later. I installed them and fixed the problem, but Nitro tech support offered to help walk me through repair if necessary.

-Adam

#12 4 years ago

If you want to call Stern support directly, then prepare to be patient. Stern doesn't have a bank of 20 guys waiting to do support for anyone who calls in. Their sales and support model assumes the distributors are going to be the first line of support. So as others have said, make sure to buy from a reputable distributor.

What can be confusing is it can be a bit hit or miss with what the Stern support team will help you with. Sometimes when you contact them they will help you out immediately, other times they will push you back to the distributor. Don't know if it depends on who you get, or how slammed they are, or how simple the issue is or whatever.

How I approach it generally is if it is a larger issue that is going to require parts I go through my distributor. If a smaller technical glitch that I can describe in detail will try going through Stern support first.

That being said, I have contacted Stern support directly about four or five times over the years for various issues with different machines and have always found them to be very friendly and helpful.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

If you want to call Stern support directly, then prepare to be patient. Stern doesn't have a bank of 20 guys waiting to do support for anyone who calls in. Their sales and support model assumes the distributors are going to be the first line of support. So as others have said, make sure to buy from a reputable distributor.
    What can be confusing is it can be a bit hit or miss with what the Stern support team will help you with. Sometimes when you contact them they will help you out immediately, other times they will push you back to the distributor. Don't know if it depends on who you get, or how slammed they are, or how simple the issue is or whatever.
    How I approach it generally is if it is a larger issue that is going to require parts I go through my distributor. If a smaller technical glitch that I can describe in detail will try going through Stern support first.
    That being said, I have contacted Stern support directly about four or five times over the years for various issues with different machines and have always found them to be very friendly and helpful.

This is correct - Generally if an expensive part needs replacement (node board) they will make you go through the distributor.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tech-support-dealings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.