3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by funtimewithdave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

XfilesPinDiveBarFortLauderdale (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

As posted to Facebook:
    Stern Pinball is partnering with www.pinballmap.com to connect the world of pinball! Pinball Map is currently tracking thousands of pinball machines in locations around the world and is growing in accuracy and data by the day! Look forward to more exciting developments from this partnership in the future!

Why not team up with Pinside? That other site has been stale for so long and never gets updated. When are we going to see Stern install GPS locators in games?

#2 3 years ago

Good however the USA is not the centre of the universe as some might like to think.

#3 3 years ago

As much as we would very much like to work with Stern to help grow the pinball community at large and do cool stuff in the world of pinball, Stern has expressed little interest in Pinside or what it has to offer, unfortunately.

A considerable number of pinsiders are Stern customers, and personally, I think it would be really interesting to be able to collaborate on something.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

As posted to Facebook:
    Stern Pinball is partnering with http://www.pinballmap.com to connect the world of pinball! Pinball Map is currently tracking thousands of pinball machines in locations around the world and is growing in accuracy and data by the day! Look forward to more exciting developments from this partnership in the future!
    Why not team up with Pinside? That other site has been stale for so long and never gets updated. When are we going to see Stern install GPS locators in games?

and then the ops / locations will need to pay for internet. Also setting wifi up.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

and then the ops / locations will need to pay for internet. Also setting wifi up.

GPS does not necessarily require internet service. However, satellite GPS service doesn't work too well indoors...

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

If you have GPS in a machine you would still need a way to report its coordinates somewhere. I wouldn't want either feature in my games personally.

Stern partnering with pinside... seems a can of worms. How would pinside tolerate open criticism of Stern if they are partners? Like the mods here don't have enough diapers to change...

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

Why not team up with Pinside? That other site has been stale for so long and never gets updated.

I think Pinball Map offers a much easier mobile experience (especially via their map). I've also found that Pinball Map is often times more up to date than Pinside. Obviously, your mileage may vary based on the people in your area and how often they update these maps and which they prefer. Personally, if I make an update to one I make the update to the other. I want both to be as accurate as possible.

Don't get me wrong, Pinside's map is still a great resource. But for me user experience, functionality, and accuracy are most important.

1 week later
    #8 3 years ago

I update the South Florida area for Pinballmap.com ( I try to do it as often as I can, but yes it should be done more frequently). If you see a place with a pinball or know of an event please post a location or machine and include pics and description of its condition.

I just found an Xfiles Pin on location at the Dive Bar in Fort Lauderdale just a week ago.. Will update it now. I'm also working on getting the Pinball Hall of Fame in Delray Beach updated with the 62 pins they have.

XfilesPinDiveBarFortLauderdale (resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago

Excellent idea,and as far as geography is concerned,the U.S.is the center of civilized peoples!And finances as well!

#10 3 years ago

Here in the Uk we've been using http://www.pinformer.co.uk for over 10 years now With new machines being added and certain ones removed which arn't there anymore

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Excellent idea,and as far as geography is concerned,the U.S.is the center of civilized peoples!And finances as well!

............and then you realised you were awake!!!

#12 3 years ago

They are sick of reading the Hey Stern Are You Serious Thread.

#13 3 years ago

I'm the admin for Delaware now, since Delaware never had one. The partnership with Stern isn't anything extravagant. We aren't getting any kickbacks from them. Basically they are using our data. That may sound extreme, but note that we have an open API and ANYONE can get our data at any time. So every six months we hand them a spreadsheet, and they use the data to call up
    places to ask if they want any more pinball machines. That's it. Hopefully it will put more machines on route.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from Homepin:

Good however the USA is not the centre of the universe as some might like to think.

It is in terms of pinball.

Pinside itself is one example of that fact which demonstrates the predominant numbers of US based participants without seeing any evidence of the typical self serving arrogance that usually accompanies such status. This is mostly due to a representative and broad global participation rate in terms of membership coupled with the fact the forum is European based.

If a map helps to bring pinball to a more global audience and less geographically parochial like some of the domestic forums we have down under then that can only be a positive.

#15 3 years ago

I'm the Pinball Map admin for the Champaign Region, which actually encompasses everything in Illinois south of Interstate 80:
    http://pinballmap.com/champaign

The machines in and around Champaign, and to a lesser extent, Central Illinois, are fairly up to date. I rely on others to keep the map updated outside of this area, which is geographically very large.

Sorry, I don't use the Pinside Map very often. There are many, many pinball players not part of Pinside, especially non-collectors/hobbyists, and they tend to use Pinball Map, specifically the mobile app. (They like to play pinball on location, go figure!) Based upon that, they are not really Stern buyers/customers. A lot of Stern customers that have machines in their homes, either choose not to play location pinball, or it simply doesn't exist near them, so...I think Pinside is not the center of the pinball universe, especially for location pinball.

And yeah, Stern personnel read the Pinside Forum all the time...but would Stern ever want to partner with Pinside? Highly unlikely.

-Mark

#16 3 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread to bring this up in, but there is a problem with the Pinside map that has occurred in the past few days. I think there was a change in the "select a country" dropdown menu because if you look at the 20 most recently added or updated locations on the Pin Map page, none of them have the proper country of origin selected. Some don't have a country selected at all, and others say "Array", whatever that is. I am guessing that United States was at the top of the menu before, and now it got moved down the list, and so when somebody updates a location which was formerly selected as United States, it has now lost that selection, so if the person is not careful when updating, there will be no country selection. This affects the geocoder recognizing the location on the map. I know that Knub's Pub, for instance has always been selected as United States, and then a couple of days ago a game got updated, and it has now lost the country selection.

#17 3 years ago

Pinball Map admin for Syracuse, NY checking in!
    I dont know the usage of the site, but it is good to get messages from out of towners once and a while about games and conditions. Good to know somebody is using it.
    Ive used it while out of the area also. Mobile app is really really something.
    I am unsure if i like the region idea or the pinside way of "worldwide openness"
    I would like pinball map to add more regions, perhaps the top 100 or top 200 metro areas, give each of them their own. Ive been adding machines as far away as 100 miles from syracuse, just because there isnt much going on north or south of here. Good locations, but nobody willing to admin them as separate entities. Lack of population or pinballers i suppose

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 199.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Rubber/Silicone
    Scandinavian Pinball
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 229.99
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Great American Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 20.00
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside