IMG_20180413_151022 (resized).jpg
wedge notes (resized).jpg
screen-capture-21 (resized).png
screen-capture-16 (resized).png
IMG_1214 (resized).JPG
IMG_1218 (resized).JPG
IMG_1216 (resized).JPG
IMG_1215 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Ghostbusters Target Wedges

Finally got the parts back and did some final testing for a solution to the air balls off the X2 & X3 targets on the Ghostbusters pinball.

Basically the Stern targets are dead vertical and when hit bend back beyond the vertical which then allows the ball to go into the air. Bally / WMS targets leaned forward, so I devised a simple wedge that can be inserted into the existing Stern target assembly. This wedge now leans the target 4 degress forward from vertical and has been effective in stopping the massive airballs. I still get the random minor ball hop but has improved the design of the target and decreased the problem alot.

You will need 1 wedge per target. You will also have to source 1 x 1/8" longer bolt for the target assembly as there just isn't enough thread once the wedge is installed.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkstarget&type=

IMG_1215 (resized).JPGIMG_1215 (resized).JPG
IMG_1216 (resized).JPGIMG_1216 (resized).JPG
IMG_1214 (resized).JPGIMG_1214 (resized).JPG
IMG_1218 (resized).JPGIMG_1218 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

added a twin pack which will save you $2.15 in total

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinkstarget&type=

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Awesome idea.
Link appears to be broken.

cheers, I fixed the link

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Great idea! Ordered a set.

thanks for the support

1 week later
#9 6 years ago

Shapeways 15% Sale - one day only 27-4-17 - celebrate The Netherlands King's Day with a sale on flexible plastic in Orange, Red, White or Blue. Ideal time to try the Ghostbusters Target Wedge.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinks&sort=newest

enjoy.

screen-capture-16 (resized).pngscreen-capture-16 (resized).png

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

did the kingsday17 code already expire? I get invalid

the code is still valid for another 8-10hrs, ensure you use uppercase - KINGSDAY2017

also the parts can only be polished flexible plastic in orange, red, white, or blue and can be any parts not just the targets.

Quoted from RoyF:

What other Stern titles (and specific target locations) could benefit most from these wedges?

not sure but will fit into the same target design, just it is well known that these 2 targets in particular on Ghostbusters creates the massive air balls.

#15 6 years ago

a person asked me how to change the colour... hope this helps

simple go to the colour currently listed at purple and click on it and a drop down of available materials and colours will appear, simply select the colour you want - remembering that the dutch colours today only get you a discount (Orange, Red, White and Blue). I did cancel white as a option a few days ago as it goes through a different polishing process and was breaking at the branches - sorry.

screen-capture-21 (resized).pngscreen-capture-21 (resized).png

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from ChoppaCade:

Just ordered, thanks Swinks, shame you don't include the longer screws, but I guess I should be able to source some easy enough from local hardware store.

Thanks for the support, tough one as shapeways is purely a manufacturing service and can't stock parts and I am in Aus.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Will these work on williams games too? I have a few that love to launch the ball

it the switch is a bolt together assembly - possibly though haven't checked the hole spacing and the ones that pinball life sell that match the bally / WMS are riveted so can't be disassembled

1 week later
#24 6 years ago

My apologies guys I thought I wrote it.

The current bolts are 5/8" so 1/8" longer = 3/4" is ample long enough

As for the gauge, I am a metric guy but in the manual on page 44 is a similar target assembly but with a 3 bank of targets and it states the bolt being a 6/32 x 5/8" so assuming the new bolt would be a 6/32 x 3/4". For me I looked through left overs and found the same gauge and cut it down so did not do a purchase to 100% identify the gauge, sorry - dropped the ball there.

1 week later
#29 6 years ago

You can try putting on a small piece of 3M double sided tape that is about 1/16" thick with just one side of the tape removed so it sticks to the other foam pad coupled with the wedge is very effective as well.

#30 6 years ago

I edited a picture that hopefully helps those that need it. I do admit that during the time waiting for refined wedges I installed 1/16" thick white double sided tape (near my thumb) behind the target to firm up the target and reduce the bend back and possible launch of the ball. Then when the wedges came I installed and didn't think to share that minor detail - sorry.

basically 2 install locations

Location 1 - brings the backing plate closer to the switch making it a little more sensitive. Adding the small piece of double sided tape will firm the switch up and reduce the effect of the ball getting airborne. I am playing with this set up and still get the odd minor air ball but not shooting over plastics and lanes etc and the switch is not as sensitive as original so not a given shot.

Location 2 - keeps the switch standard sensitivity but will still allow the target to tilt forward and when hit to bend back to a 90 degree position and possibly allow the ball to get airborne. Adding the tape will firm up and keep the ball / target at less than 90 degrees when hit and should be a improvement on airborne balls.

wedge notes (resized).jpgwedge notes (resized).jpg

#32 6 years ago

in the end it is a stern target design issue and whether it be my wedge or an air-ball protector these are trying to control a inferior designed target that produces airballs off high powered direct hit shots due to the angle of the target. In addition each game is slightly different and it was never claimed these wedges would totally stop airballs but reduce them - for me I was getting airballs on to the ramp (rhs) and even the shooter lane and now I have reduced them to occasion hops (air balls) of 1-2 inches.

try putting in the different foam or 1/16" thick double sided tape to space out the backing plate and switch - this will solve the sensitive switch state - as stated in the above picture.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=410

alternatively buy a williams target and try in the game - I have not tried this.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=326

otherwise I am sorry this was not a solution for you.

10 months later
#34 5 years ago

it has been a while since owning a ironman so can't remember the target design but I did improve on the targets and now recommend a revised metal bracket.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinkstarget&sort=newest

#36 5 years ago

No I think that was mezelmod made “splints” I think to stop lean over

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-target-wedges-air-ball-fix?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.