• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tonyhoff1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GPS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hello All,

I have a switch on my Stern Austin Powers which is not registering on the switch test. The switch in question is # 38, which is the right roll under switch (right ramp exit).

As mentioned, I cannot get this switch to register on the switch test. Now I can get switch # 34 to register and this is in the same column as my non-registering switch. I can also get switch # 6 (left coin slot) to register which is in the same row.

I disconnected the switch (#38) where it plugs into the wiring under the playfield and shorted the two connector pins out and still no confirmation of a switch closure being seen by the CPU.

This is where I need to have some help fro those far more skilled at this than I.

Appreciate all assistance. Thank you

George...

#3 6 years ago

I think I understand your suggestion and when I do this, I cannot get continuity in either wire? This makes me think I may be doing something in error as it seems hard to believe that both wires would not have continuity.

#5 6 years ago

I could be totally out in left field here but how about this as a possible troubleshooting idea. Using a jumper wire, connect the two wires in the non registering switch directly to the appropriate colors on a known working swicth and then rerun the test and see if the cpu will then register the switch closure. I would think at this point provided this resulted in the cpu seeing the switch that there is a snafu in the wiring harness somewhere. What ya think??

#7 6 years ago

Thank you Zacaj

So let me make sure I understand you. Connect The like colored wire from the switch to the row on a known working switch and the like colored wire on the column to a known working switch and then see if that switch is recognized by the machine. Sound right?

#9 6 years ago

Ok, stupid question. If I put a volt ohmmeter across that switch, should I see a dead short when the switch is closed

#11 6 years ago

Sorry. The diode is throwing me for a loop. Would think that I should see 0 ohms when the switch is closed and infinite ohms when open. Right??

#13 6 years ago

Thanks for hanging with me zacaj

Placing the ohmmeter on the two wires coming from the switch. Closed, the meter should read 0 and open the switch should read infinite. Correct

#15 6 years ago

Ok. Understood. There is a common on the switch and a normally open and normally closed. The switch is operating correctly

#16 6 years ago

This is where the switch ties into the playfield wiring. It changes to an orange and lighter guage blue. Just FYI

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

I don't know. I think I'm going to make a call to Stern on Monday and see if they can help me with this. The switch is definitely fine. And all other switches appear to be working so I'm hesitant to start swapping connectors for fear of making the situation worse

#22 6 years ago

Job to y

Very possible as the connectors are the same. I will look at this when I get home and report. Thank you very much

#23 6 years ago

Meant to say Hello tony. Sorry. Auto correct

#25 6 years ago

And the prize goes to tonyhoff1. You were dead in. Somehow at some point those two connectors got transposed. I switched them and now all is well. Thank you very much tony and Zacag for all your kind help. I am grateful

George

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Palm Beach, FL
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GPS.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-switch-matrix-question?tu=GPS and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.