468a8f17fb4da4bdc3df2bc0256b7b66 (resized).jpg
neil-young-by-terry-richardson-for-supreme-0 (resized).jpg
12C396BD-09A8-48F5-9995-96B406BE08F5 (resized).jpeg
lf.jpg
292AD5ED-108D-4C2B-8A83-DB7298F142BA (resized).png
136C1B52-C5A8-4AC2-A8A3-23E32124D427 (resized).png
BE2CB2F1-EB92-48A5-84B7-3845C2048A84 (resized).png
d4dafbd834ecc67b9666e869edc0eebb_listingImg_IHnxpLv5Dg (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dblm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Ok, so someone please explain to me what the "supreme" thing is all about. Is it just a word that someone put on something and people thought it looked coke, er I mean cool? Or does it have some sorta other meaning that I don't know about. I mean, why are they paying so much for the word supreme?
John

Here are two articles from GQ that get into Supreme. TLDR: Billion dollar streetwear company. Carlyle Group paid $500M last year to buy half the company. Huge in Japan.

Stop thinking of this pinball machine as a pinball machine. It is a very limited, very big, very expensive collectible that just happens to be a pinball machine.

https://www.gq.com/story/supreme-billion-dollar-valuation

https://www.gq.com/story/inside-supreme

#91 4 years ago

Like it or not, a Supreme pinball machine has probably one of the higher ROI’s compared to any other machine out there. Buy it, sit on it a few years, and flip it. Easy money.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yep
Time has moved on with new popular trends and collectables like Supreme.
Always cracks me up when the naysayers come out in full force. Calling people that collect what they and millions of others like idiots and such.

Lot of people on here are stuck in their ways. Supreme valued at a billion dollars is worth what, 15x the entire pinball market? Maybe 20x? You don’t have to like their product but you should respect the brand and business they have built.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

You sound like a financial advisor

Thank you. I am not a financial advisor, bur think about money a lot.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

More specifically, a bad financial advisor. This machine could easily be worth $1,000 as early as next year.
Upside is very limited, risk is high.
Not an investment profile I'd recommend to a client.

This collectible has a higher upside than most pinball machines out there (TBL, etc.). The value is not that it is a pinball machine or a particularly good pinball machine. The value is that there is an extremely limited and expensive product that is unique in a collection of limited products that a hot company releases on a semi annual basis. The fans of this company have disposable income and want to have the weirdest, most limited collaboration that this company (Supreme) puts out. I know it is hard for pinball people to grasp this, but stop thinking of it as a pinball machine. I’d speculate that this sells for 36-40k before buyer’s premium.

#107 4 years ago

Just to explode some of your heads

6F822F70-BF27-4DCF-B59D-A0CFBEE5AF93 (resized).png6F822F70-BF27-4DCF-B59D-A0CFBEE5AF93 (resized).png
#114 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

I genuinely hope that Supreme succeeds with this bid offering and is wildly successful.
Perhaps they can draw in new people that have enough money to make a difference.
There will likely be maintenance opportunities for these people also...
That Supreme machine is going to need maintenance just like any other pinball machine and these people will not likely be doing that.

For context, this is a 3rd party sale. I think 12 of these machines were made, and they sold out instantly. From what I have read about Supreme, they limit everything that they release, and do no re-release their products.

#116 4 years ago

^^^^ This guy gets it.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Kind of.
It's not Stern doing anything, except accepting a contract from a customer and delivering what they ordered. Just like another loathed project, Primus.
Don't get cheer or jeer Stern on these projects. Take it up with Supreme. Take it up with Primus.

You are correct.

#122 4 years ago
6DC181B0-F283-496F-824D-1D9FA298EE2A (resized).jpeg6DC181B0-F283-496F-824D-1D9FA298EE2A (resized).jpeg
#145 4 years ago
Quoted from jdroc:

Until they turn out to be WeWork and drop 80%+ in value in 6 months once people get wise to the ridiculousness of some of these valuations...just because someone values a fad company at $1B doesn't mean it's actually worth that much...

Check my earlier post. Carlyle Group already bought in last year for half for 500M. One thing to be valued at a certain price, another entirely when somebody signs on the line and hands over that type of money.

Not taking up for Supreme at all and think it is ridiculous. However, it does not change the fact that they are very profitable and have been so for many years.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from jdroc:

Admittedly I haven't looked into their history at all but that doesn't change my argument in purely hypothetical terms. Softbank pumped billions into We Work which is what set their value at $47B earlier this year (it wasn't just made up...we'll, it was actually is the problem, but there was true money behind it - someone saying I'll pull up billions of dollars because I think they are worth more than that).
Someone pumping $500M into a 25 year old company for 50% ownership also makes me strongly question why this super profitable brand needs to give up 50% of their company unless they are also concerned they are way overvalued and should bring in cash while they can...If they took on $50M for 5% that's one thing...

Hypothetical terms is where this all falls apart. Everybody knew that WeWork had too much of a multiple. That is why when people did their diligence the IPO imploded. SoftBank is taking over them for a much more reasonable multiple.

A quick search in the fashion industry is illuminating. Lord and Taylor got bought this year for 100M. Finish Line got bought for 558M. Christian Dior got bought in 2017 for 13.1B. Coach bought Kate Spade for 2.4 B and Stuart Weitzman for 574M. These are all major brands. For Supreme to be valued at 1B with a cash infusion of 500M from Carlyle speaks to their relative strengths and perceived value. As to why they took outside investment, you will have to look into that. It could be that they wanted to cash out, it could be that they wanted to gear up for horizontal expansion or acquisition (the whole fashion industry is going through big M&A right now), it could be a lot of things. Regardless of what any of us on a pinball forum thinks, fashion people thing Supreme is a big deal and putting their money wear their mouths are.

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

iv never even heard of supreme is it really that big?

Yes

#161 4 years ago

Because I am day drinking, and for the uninitiated, I will say this one more time. This is a collectible that happens to be a pinball machine, not a true pinball machine as you think of it. Nobody buying this gives a shit about rule set or that this layout has been used before. It is very limited and by a brand that has a lot of cache with a certain market (that are not pinside), and this third party auction will go for a fat chunk of change.

For the people that are closeminded pinball people, this will make no sense to you. It doesn’t have to. You were not the audience for this when they originally sold out, and you are not the audience for this auction. Just like classic cars, baseball cars, beanie babies and other shit. If somebody wants to spend 10s or thousands of dollars on this that is there prerogative. Your opinion, morality of haves and have nots, and the price of tea in China means jack all related to this.

Buying Supreme is no weirder or more ludicrous than pinball people buying the shit that you do. This is like the world’s dumbest nerd fight.

#170 4 years ago

Pinside will drive anybody to day drinking. I’m just going to go back to the basement and post gifs of semi-clad women and jackasses doing semi-clad and/or jackass things.

#189 4 years ago

I step away for a bit to get dinner and cocktails to only come back and see this bullshit still going on? Time to go start night drinking...

#202 4 years ago

Let’s put this in terms so that so the dullards can understand. If you collect Lionel trains, Ertl die cast, John Deere, telephones, oil cans, gas pumps, diner stuff, jukeboxes, Coco-cola, advertising, buttons, depression glass, spoons, anything with the words “Franklin Mint” on it, Hummel figures, Steif Teddy Bears, lunch boxes, slot cars, Thomas Kinkade paintings, Norman Rockwell plates, Hess trucks, Life magazines, and literally thousands of other sub genres then I have a few truths for you:

You are old.
You are collecting stuff that has a diminishing collectors base.
You have invested money you will not recoup.
Some people think you are weird, delusional, and off for spending money on junk and living in a museum when that money could be spent on other, better things.
And you don’t care what these other people care. This is what you like, damnit, and you will spend your money however you like.

I probably got you riled up right about now. Good. “How dare he talk about things that are near and dear to me, that are true collectibles because they are old and remind me of my childhood, and have value?” Do you see the hypocrisy yet in you poo-pooing Supreme, and Magic the Gathering, and whatever else is the flavor of the month collectible that younger, more in touch people have? You ask why somebody would pay for something with the word Supreme on it and they would ask why would somebody buy something with Esso on it. “Durr, durr, why would somebody spend 20 grand on such a piece of shit pinball machine with the word Supreme on it? They could instead build a room that looks like a diner and garage on Route 66? Those are real collectibles and are classy unlike something with a logo on it. “

Some will get this. Most will not. I will go back to being an asshole and return you to your regularly scheduled program.

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Whew! At least my beanie babies are still safe.

Depends. Do they still have the tags on them?

#254 4 years ago

HA is charging ridiculous fees for this. I am on the HA mailing lists and have seen very little advertising. I wonder if they are calling people directly since there is a lot of pop art in this auction?

So 37k reserve with fees. That is right I. The range that I thought this would sell I. (36-40k). We shall see...

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I have puchased several items from HA (and other auction houses for that matter). While I do appreciate the service they provide (marketing for the item, collecting payment, shipping, etc.), that 22.5% buyer's premium really cuts into my buying power, which in the end, hurts the seller's bottom line.
I'm assuming the seller isn't on Pinside and is selling this as a "Supreme" piece versus an obscure pin.
Either way, you're probably right - this might be a one bid auction with a value of $37,500 for the pin.

That’s what my gut tells me as well.

For all of the haters bitching about the value of this pin because it has the word Supreme on it, it is no different than people dropping coin on other games like Magic Girl, Nip It, etc. All are limited, and don’t live up to the “value” of the game. The only exception is that people are trying to draw the line that Supreme is “bad” and that other pinball is “good”.

Regardless of the results of the auction, here are the hater’s two possible responses. It won’t sell, and they will say “Told ya so. Who would buy such and ugly piece of shit?”. Or it will sell, and they will say “What the F? Who would buy such and ugly piece of shit?”. Feel free to copy/paste whichever response best fits your case, haters.

#352 4 years ago

What’s up haters? Still sad that such a piece of crap is selling for more than some of your holy grails? I stand beside my original guess that hammer price is between 36 and 40 k.

#369 4 years ago

Hey @o-din, how much are you going to buy this for?

#393 4 years ago

Well, that’s that. Hope the new owner likes what he bought.

#396 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

plus how much in fees?
Buyer will also likely pay a several grand in shipping. The auction houses rake people over the coals on that stuff.
They wanted to charge me $1400 to ship a small couch. Had NAVL do it for $600.

Hammer was 31K so am assuming $7,750.

#422 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

I didn't buy this pin to impress my friends and family; I bought it to get laid.

Will this get you more laid than the immamaculate Baywatch?

#495 4 years ago

Holy hell there are some humorless naval gazers in this thread. The people buying a Supreme pinball give two shits about your opinions about how overrated you think this pin is or how too cool for school you are that you don't buy brands. They wanted it, they had the cash-ish to buy it, and they are happy with their decisions.

I thought everybody on here was about growing pinball and shit. I guess they only mean that when it is a theme that they judge "worthy" and at a price they think is low enough.

#509 4 years ago

Seth Rollins said it best:

th (resized).jpegth (resized).jpeg
#510 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Worth is very internal, but that's where the comparison ends.
The theme is the brand (supreme) itself. It is certainly rare, but that doesn't impart value in and of itself, as I pointed out in an earlier post.
Coke products, for the most part, cost a VERY small fraction if what this went for. It's hard to compare a $3 glass to a $39,000 (plus premium) pinball.
Ford and GM fans are getting a vehicle...something that actually serves a purpose and can be used extensively by virtually anyone. (This is called intrinsic value). Same thing with barley.
This is a case of simply paying for a name. Truly nothing else.
You can get better pinballs. You can get newer pinballs. You can get rarer pins, pins with more universally appealing themes, more complex pins, better light shows, tons more toys/gimmicks...heck...it is a remake! You can get THE SAME pinball.
What this boils down to is a brand. A counterculture skateboard brand that convinced locals if it's coolness. It eventually grew and spread. They create a demand by having celebs wear their items and selling them in "limited quantities" as a means to artificially inflate the prices.
Is their marketing better than most? Sure. But in the end, that's literally all you pay for. Marketing. It is marketed to idiots with too much money and no sense.
A better comparison would be Gucci. They built their product name so well, that at one point they were intentionally selling the tackiest possible clothing and slapping their "brand" (the Gucci name) on it to sell it for far more than what is was worth. (I.e. a $20 handbag selling for $600 because it had a Gucci tag)
What's really amusing is the fact that Supreme sold these pins (and their clothes, for that matter) to the very people they are rebelling against...and those people shell out many multiples of what they are worth just to be cool, not realizing that it is a culture opposed to theirs. Pathetic.

We get it, you hate Supreme and only douchenozzles like it. You are a sucker for buying marketing. Blah, blah, blah. Guess what, there are tons of things that fit into this category. Diamonds for millennium have been virtually worthless until the diamond industry was created and said that not only should you give a diamond as a show of love, but it should be worth x amount of your salary. Diamonds for industrial purposes are cheap, but cut it and polish it, and you can sell it for way more as a show of love. Gold, silver, platinum, rubies, all fit into this category. Hell, why would somebody pay 5-6x for sliced pickles when you can get a whole one cheaper? Let's not even get into organic and artesianal foods...

Marketing happens everywhere and we all fall for it. To say otherwise is foolish.

Note: I am not a Supreme fan and would never pay that much for something. However, to each their own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dblm.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-supreme-pin-up-for-auction-minimum-bid-20000?tu=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.