468a8f17fb4da4bdc3df2bc0256b7b66 (resized).jpg
neil-young-by-terry-richardson-for-supreme-0 (resized).jpg
12C396BD-09A8-48F5-9995-96B406BE08F5 (resized).jpeg
lf.jpg
292AD5ED-108D-4C2B-8A83-DB7298F142BA (resized).png
136C1B52-C5A8-4AC2-A8A3-23E32124D427 (resized).png
BE2CB2F1-EB92-48A5-84B7-3845C2048A84 (resized).png
d4dafbd834ecc67b9666e869edc0eebb_listingImg_IHnxpLv5Dg (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

You guys have no clue about supreme lol.
Several sales around 35k for this game. It’s not about the gameplay it’s about the brand and scarcity of the item.
Just cuz you don’t get it and thinks it stupid doesn’t necessarily make it so.
Imo anyone who pays 25k for a Beatles when the exact same Game is only 8k is far more foolish lol.
So anyone who buys one for 2k would actually be a genius since it is worth many times more.

So, it is a piece of furniture- Or a piece of art-Depending on your point of view. To be looked at. To be polished. To be dusted daily.

#41 4 years ago

A lot of people actually do this with many pinballs. They buy one foe their man cave, mod it and rarely if ever play it. It’s just an conversation piece or perhaps the theme fits into a collection of some kind. Ask your distributor , it’s true.

TORTURE definition: As a hardcore pin player you are invited over to someone's house to "play" their pins, only to standby and watch as the owner turns on all of the lights and lets you watch all of the attract modes and the invites you to the theater room for a movie.

#48 4 years ago

The crowd who buys something like this is the same crowd who bought AIBO, the robot dog for $7000.00 plus. People with money to burn. No financial worries about tomorrow. Pinball is going upscale.

imgres (resized).jpgimgres (resized).jpg

It all reminds me of 40 years ago when I was trying to make a paycheck by repairing and selling (trying to sell) vacuum cleaners. I had to deliver a repaired sweeper. I remember several things about that trip.

1) The guy was a county worker who drove a dozer or road grader. A poor man with a thumb and pinkie finger left on one hand due to an injury.

2) The ugliest woman for a wife I have ever seen before or since.

3) Two of the most beautiful daughters I have ever seen.

They lived in a ramshackle house that looked like it should have been torn down years ago.

He had a color TV. And he bragged and bragged that he paid $1000.00 for that color TV. He was proud that he could spend that kind of money on a TV. This is back when you could by a very good used car for $1000.00. This was back when a microwave oven would cost $600.00 to $700.00.

Here is a family struggling from hand to mouth and that the expensive TV was their major pride and joy.

So, imagine when there are many people in our society where money is no object.

#52 4 years ago

Not really sure why so much hate?

Sour grapes.

I think jealously play a factor.

People seem to get POed when something moves beyond their reach financially.

"I can't afford it so it is no Fking good. You can afford what I can't so that makes you a piece of shit and an idiot. All sour grapes.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

I'm just guessing, but I doubt that the $40,000 Supreme Pinball buyer hangs out at the local "barcade".

I tend to agree with you, however, there are the outliers. Henry Ford II, born with a silver spoon in his mouth, like to hang out in the longshoremen's bars.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'll be darned if you didn't just nail an upcoming pinball theme sure to have more people here foaming at the mouth than Supreme.
[quoted image]

Can you imagine the background sounds you could have with grandma playing the spoons?

===================================

Actually, I'm thinking Stern should produce a pinball called The Elevator. It would have 5 levels and the ball would ride the elevator up to each level. But for this tall/high of a play field the play field glass would be at a steep angle, so for short people a pair of gold plated drywall mechanic stilts would be an option to buy. This model would be to the answer for all of those who were unhappy with the Stern Beatles build that has only one level and no ramps.

The Elevator would have ramps galore. It would look like a high rise parking garage. Lots of room to stuff and shovel play field toys all over the place. It would be something that would make Rube Goldberg proud.

If The Elevator worked, Stern could follow up with The Elevator II. It could have 6 levels instead of only 5.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Like it or not, a Supreme pinball machine has probably one of the higher ROI’s compared to any other machine out there. Buy it, sit on it a few years, and flip it. Easy money.

You sound like a financial advisor

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Just to explode some of your heads[quoted image]

That Vuitton trunk is pocket change. Supreme needs to up its game..

How about a diamond encrusted chessboard for $370,000.00?

To play chess with, this setup is absolutely worthless. But some rich bastard will buy it to set on a shelf that is close to his Surpreme pinball machine. It is Show and Tell, folks.

This is the same ilk as those lawn chessboard setups which are equally worthless for playing a game of chess with (kind of like the Hercules pinball machine).

https://luxurylaunches.com/other_stuff/fancy-a-solid-gold-diamond-encrusted-chess-set-for-370000.php

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.24.48 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.24.48 AM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.32.51 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.32.51 AM (resized).png

As someone who plays chess occasionally, I can tell you that the best chess board to play chess with is just the regular old style pieces that are about 2.5" high.

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.26.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.26.46 AM (resized).png

All I can really say is that is must be nice to have enough money to be able to afford this stuff or even buy a car that is so rare you plan to never drive it. Sort of like pinball machines that will never be played.

Screen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.40.38 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-24 at 9.40.38 AM (resized).png

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Breaks my heart too.
We should probably all sell off our pinball collections and donate the money to charity.

Misery loves company. We can all be in the poorhouse together. And discuss the collections we used to have.

#203 4 years ago

There is a group of people whose hobby is depression glass. Google depression glass if you are curious. A friend I had a number of years ago dealt in depression glass. Just like pinball hobby vendors attend pinball shows, my friend and his wife owned the house next to the one they lived in and they used it as a warehouse for all of the depression glass that they would cart around to all of the glass shows. One day he finally admitted that they did not make any money hauling all of this glass around. It was their hobby and how they liked to meet people.

Most of the depression glass does not cost all that much per piece but when you are buying a complete set it can get pricy fairly fast.

Like anything produced, some items were more rare than others. My friend had a chance to score a particular yellow mayfair bowl. Only two were made and only one could be found and he got to buy it. He was ecstatic. He paid either $5,000.00 or $6000.00 and said it was worth $10K.

Here is where I come in. I have an Ebay account and I had sold enough items to have a nice range of positive feedback. I put his yellow bowl up for auction. My friend did not get his $10,000.00. He got his self buried in this piece of glass. But it did bring and honest bid of $4,000.00. I had several bidders all the way up. There was real interest to $4,000.00

Myself? I would not have given $2.00 for it unless I know I could have sold it for a lot of money. I am not into depression glass. But a lot of people are. My friend had made a lot more money in living life than I. Who was I to say he was an idiot for buying one piece of glass for that kind of money? He never asked to borrow money from me and he did not owe me anything so I would be out of line to tell him that he is crazy.

For the curious, here is a link to see Yellow Mayfair depression glass. Somewhere on one of my old G-4 Macs I still have a picture of that bowl, but finding it would be a challenge. Look at any piece of glass in this link and imagine it any one of them could have been that bowl for $4,000.00 Lot of money for a piece of glass. And consider that it went into a display cabinet and was probably never used at any time in it's life. And it is no different than a high dollar pinball machine that was not really designed to be played.

https://www.google.com/search?q=yellow+mayfair+depression+glass&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOz7Sfl7nlAhUMKqwKHVNbDvwQsAR6BAgFEAE&biw=1280&bih=883

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Most of this whole thread amounts to the classic “what I collect is great, what you collect is shit” argument.
The sad reality is that we are only renting this stuff and as soon as our demographic starts expiring, most of this stuff will be incredibly diminished in value. The best of the best in every hobby retains or gains in value (sometimes), while the rest becomes fodder. In the last 25 years this has happened to stamps, coins, baseball cards, vintage Disney, art pottery, depression glass, and is now happening to comic books. The only comics gaining in value are either related to movie-hype and purely speculative (can you say tulips), or truly rare or rare in grade.
Add in the fact that there’s now an entire generation that does not see the value in owning things, having been accustomed to downloading their entertainment and avoiding clutter. This is the same problem retailers are facing. Consumers are increasingly spending their discretionary income on experiential stuff.
There no avoiding it. None of this stuff will retain its value long term, including Supreme merch.

Nice run down. You left out Avon bottles, Jim Beam bottles, and The Beatles Butcher cover album.

#246 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I never understood the people the advertise for other companies and get into "branding". Like people who wear nike clothing that is just for the purpose of advertising. Why the hell should a person have to pay money to promote another company that they are not part of or getting paid to do so? Never understood that. Like throwing a monster or fox sticker on your car or truck. Companies should be paying people for self promotion like this. Instead, they find a way to trick some consumers to not only advertise for them for free, but pay to have the advertising printed on whatever item it is. Never understood this concept and why some people only buy things that advertise for other companies for free. The only way I promote another company is if they give me a free Tshirt or hat and then i'll promote it for them the times I wear it. but i'd be damned if I'm going to pay more money to do it for them. If supreme gives me a machine to promote their brand at my tournaments or leagues. Sure i'll put it out. I'll throw a blanket on it the times i'm not running one, because it's ugly as fuuuuuuuuuck!

Like the hot rodder with 35 decals stuck to his rear passenger window: STP, Hurst, Edelbrock, Pennzoil, etc.

#296 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

For a Company that "doesn't exist anymore", they somehow sent out an invoice on October 25th of this year.[quoted image]

Slot machines?

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Thanks. Rockwell Collins is now the Collins Aerospace division of United Technologies. And next year it gets swallowed up by Raytheon. So in two years, my Rockwell pension will have a 3rd name.

I used to work for Beechcraft Aircraft when it was owned by Raytheon. I bought cockpit avionics from Collins. Talk about a cluster. Aircraft is a very cyclical industry. Hotter than hell for several years and everybody is choking on overtime and then it turns ice cold and everybody gets laid off.

Olive Ann Beech, co-founder, President, CEO, Chairman, and owner of the whole shebang sold out to Raytheon at the top of the cycle in 1984. She stayed on for several years after the sale and pretty much had Raytheon cowed. And we were still called Beechcraft. Within one week after she died Raytheon changed the name of the company from Beech Aircraft Company to Raytheon Aircraft Company and it was all downhill after that. Raytheon lost its ass on the Beech purchase and went looking for a buyer. The company was finally sold to a partnership consisting of a Canadian company, Onyx, and Goldman Sachs in 2007. Even Goldman Sachs lost on this deal; I remember hearing that the Beech deal was one of only 2 deals that Goldman lost money on. This was an LBO that did not work out.

Goldman and Onyx each put up 30% of the capital required and borrowed the rest. The plan was to take the debt and sell into the bond market. But with the markets collapsing in 2008-2009 there were no buyers. So Goldman got stuck.

Goldman could not unload Beech fast enough and we were finally sold to Textron Aviation--Bell Helicopter, Cessna Aircraft, Beech Aircraft and the Hawker business jet which ceased production in 2008-2009 during the economic meltdown. One week after the Textron take over I was laid off for the last time and retired a few months later; There is not much market for 62 year old aircraft sheet metal workers.

I have two pensions from Beech. I was salaried office wonk for 5 years and was laid off. Goldman Sachs tossed that pension to the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation when it took Beech into bankruptcy in 2012. I retrained and rehired into the factory as a sheet metal worker from 2001 to 2014. That was a union job. Goldman tried to throw the hourly pension to the Pension Benefit Corporation as well, and the union said No fkn way. When Textron took Beech off of Goldman's hands it also absorbed the responsibilities on my hourly pension. So, every month I get a pension check from Textron and another from the government owned Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation. So far, both seem secure.

Back to Raytheon: Raytheon makes its living providing many products and services to the government as a defense contractor; Put another way, Raytheon makes its living sucking on the government tit. Missiles, drug interdiction electronics, all kinds of black ops can't-be-talked-about government stuff. It does quite well. When the government is your major customer it is hard to lose when the sabers are always rattling. Another Geo. H.W. Bush/ Clinton bring-home-the-troops-reduce-the-size-of-the-military, what Greenspan referred to as the Peace Dividend, would not be a good thing for Raytheon. Turning swords into plowshares is not anything Raytheon wants; Peace is bad for business.

Your coming pension, under any name, is most likely going to be secure.

#330 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

At least we know the floor price for a used Supreme pin is $37,500.
It will be interesting if anymore bids come in during tomorrow's live bidding.

If more bids come in you will have the floor of $37,500. If no more bids come in then $37,500 is the ceiling because there are no more bidders.

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

As Levi had mentioned several games had 1 or 2 made. Mrs. Spelling paid $175,000 for Data East to produce Aaron Spelling pinball based on LW3.

$175,000? That sounds rather excessive. Are you sure it was not just $75,000?

#362 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

At a previous Pinball Expo Joe Kaminkow talked of this.

Damn. Was every part gold plated?

#363 4 years ago

Where are the score displays?

#404 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I guess we now know what someone is willing to pay for one of these at auction.

Not really.

I stood behind a guy who bid $5100.00 for a Game Plan Cyclopes. It shipped to a California buyer for $5200.00 + any other costs.

A few weeks later, a Cyclopes sold at auction in Washington state for $3,000.00. You never can tell.

But, yeah, this auction probably threw some cold water on other people who own this pin.

#431 4 years ago

Anyone who has to get their pinball machine at Rent-a-Center will not understand this,

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Stern Supreme Pin Goes for $38,750 in Auction
"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum

I have been saying that about California real estate, too. The stuff is overpriced. The only problem is that I have been saying that about California real estate for the last 40 years as some beach shack for $15,000.00 then now sells for a couple of million.

3 months later
#519 4 years ago

A box of those would make a good topper.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-supreme-pin-up-for-auction-minimum-bid-20000?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.