468a8f17fb4da4bdc3df2bc0256b7b66 (resized).jpg
neil-young-by-terry-richardson-for-supreme-0 (resized).jpg
12C396BD-09A8-48F5-9995-96B406BE08F5 (resized).jpeg
lf.jpg
292AD5ED-108D-4C2B-8A83-DB7298F142BA (resized).png
136C1B52-C5A8-4AC2-A8A3-23E32124D427 (resized).png
BE2CB2F1-EB92-48A5-84B7-3845C2048A84 (resized).png
d4dafbd834ecc67b9666e869edc0eebb_listingImg_IHnxpLv5Dg (resized).jpg
There are 530 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.
#151 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

shouldn‘t the sticker be vertical?

I'm trying to stay vertical just playing it.

#152 4 years ago

iv never even heard of supreme is it really that big?

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Yes

#154 4 years ago

interesting

#155 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

shouldn‘t the sticker be vertical?

829CC5CE-54A6-41FE-BA94-F8BA7280284F (resized).jpeg829CC5CE-54A6-41FE-BA94-F8BA7280284F (resized).jpeg
#156 4 years ago

Interesting to hear Supreme is now part of the Carlyle Group. That doesn't bode well for Supreme, as Carlyle is an investment group. Very different than Coach adding additional names to their portfolio. Carlyle is a bunch of blood-sucking money men. They swoop in on companies they think have value, and do whatever it takes to improve their valuation on paper, suck out as much value as possible, before chopping it up and selling it in pieces. The longer it takes to sell, the more severe things become to keep the value inflated.

I went through being employed by a company that got bought by Carlyle. My division was pretty insulated from the cuts due to having a solid public-sector contract, but we did shrunk a bit anyway. The rest of my company? Entire divisions were shut down if they didn't hit their growth numbers. Particularly the R&D portions of the company were gutted. The place was an empty husk by the time it got re-sold.

#157 4 years ago

Watched an interview recently which said the Carlyle group was not ruining the Supreme “rep” on the street yet. In the next couple years, who knows.

#158 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Watched an interview recently which said the Carlyle group was not ruining the Supreme “rep” on the street yet. In the next couple years, who knows.

They won't outwardly do anything the public can see. The interesting thing to watch would be anybody exiting the company, or changes to supplier agreements. Though it's not like there's a big art staff to worry about I'm sure.

#159 4 years ago

Might be one thing if this was a bespoke machine. Instead it is a cheap "home" version retheme - it is literally Stern's cheapest, lowest quality pin they make, with a simple ruleset and basic gameplay, selling for an astronomical price. It is absolutely for suckers.

It is almost the same as paying supercar money for a rebadged Kia and wondering why everyone thinks you're an idiot.

#160 4 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

it is literally Stern's cheapest, lowest quality pin they make, with a simple ruleset and basic gameplay, selling for an astronomical price. It is absolutely for suckers.
It is almost the same as paying supercar money for a rebadged Kia and wondering why everyone thinks you're an idiot.

I think they need you over in The Beatles club thread. Or did you already stop by?

#161 4 years ago

Because I am day drinking, and for the uninitiated, I will say this one more time. This is a collectible that happens to be a pinball machine, not a true pinball machine as you think of it. Nobody buying this gives a shit about rule set or that this layout has been used before. It is very limited and by a brand that has a lot of cache with a certain market (that are not pinside), and this third party auction will go for a fat chunk of change.

For the people that are closeminded pinball people, this will make no sense to you. It doesn’t have to. You were not the audience for this when they originally sold out, and you are not the audience for this auction. Just like classic cars, baseball cars, beanie babies and other shit. If somebody wants to spend 10s or thousands of dollars on this that is there prerogative. Your opinion, morality of haves and have nots, and the price of tea in China means jack all related to this.

Buying Supreme is no weirder or more ludicrous than pinball people buying the shit that you do. This is like the world’s dumbest nerd fight.

#162 4 years ago

I understand it's fun to play with decent rules. It's not like some Whoa Nellie reskin.

If I wanted a SMHE, I'd just buy one, but to me it's the art package and theme that kills it, not the gameplay. That and I'm into coin op. This one can't take any.

orangecounty.craigslist.org link

#163 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Because I am day drinking, and for the uninitiated, I will say this one more time. This is a collectible that happens to be a pinball machine, not a true pinball machine as you think of it. Nobody buying this gives a shit about rule set or that this layout has been used before. It is very limited and by a brand that has a lot of cache with a certain market (that are not pinside), and this third party auction will go for a fat chunk of change.
For the people that are closeminded pinball people, this will make no sense to you. It doesn’t have to. You were not the audience for this when they originally sold out, and you are not the audience for this auction. Just like classic cars, baseball cars, beanie babies and other shit. If somebody wants to spend 10s or thousands of dollars on this that is there prerogative. Your opinion, morality of haves and have nots, and the price of tea in China means jack all related to this.
Buying Supreme is no weirder or more ludicrous than pinball people buying the shit that you do. This is like the world’s dumbest nerd fight.

Sure, all collectible niches have their extreme participants. The latest Jackson Pollack sale went for about $140M. Supreme is nickel and dime relative to that "collector" world. This isn't a debate about have / have not or even what is "ludicrous" to a bunch of pinball players. It's about the fact that you can bundle a bunch of cat hair...put it in a bag...slap a Supreme sticker on it...and this group of "collectors" would line up to buy it.

#164 4 years ago
Quoted from sethi_i:

It's about the fact that you can bundle a bunch of cat hair...put it in a bag...slap a Supreme sticker on it...and this group of "collectors" would line up to buy it.

Not much different than here.

You can slap any old rock band, movie, or TV show that most of the world doesn't give a crap about anymore on a new pinball machine, put a price tag of $10,000 on it, and this group of collectors line up without ever seeing or playing it, and say "shut up and take my money".

I guess the biggest difference is when Supreme says "Limited Edition", they mean it.

#165 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I understand it's fun to play with decent rules. It's not like some Whoa Nellie reskin.

your right... its a spiderman home version reskin.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I guess the biggest difference is when Supreme says "Limited Edition", they mean it.

I see they even made an LE version of your favorite footwear

supreme-italia-flip-flop-badelatschen-unisex-sucb1002-red (resized).jpgsupreme-italia-flip-flop-badelatschen-unisex-sucb1002-red (resized).jpg
#167 4 years ago
Quoted from Thor-NL:

I see they even made an LE version of your favorite footwear

The brand I wear is Rainbow, and they are so popular world wide, slapping a Supreme label on it might be a conflict of interests.

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
#168 4 years ago

On another note, when playing No Fear, every time Steve Ritchie says "Extreme", I just imagine he is saying "Supreme".

I just did a little research -

"No Fear T-shirts were very popular from the mid-1990s to early-2000s, peculiarly not having been endorsed by any celebrities."

Imagine that, a pinball machine released while the license was fairly new, current, and hot. Looks like my No Fear is still more current than most of the machines released in the last 5 years other than Supreme and a couple TV shows I never cared to watch.

#169 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Because I am day drinking, and for the uninitiated, I will say this one more time.

Thumbs up for the day drinking. I appreciate that you’re fighting the uphill battle explaining collector behavior (which is fundamentally irrational) to a bunch of collectors, who can’t grasp it because the collectible at issue isn’t the one they collect. Good luck and Godspeed!

#170 4 years ago

Pinside will drive anybody to day drinking. I’m just going to go back to the basement and post gifs of semi-clad women and jackasses doing semi-clad and/or jackass things.

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The brand I wear is Rainbow, and they are so popular world wide, slapping a Supreme label on it might be a conflict of interests.[quoted image]

I love Rainbow sandals. Last pair I bought in San Clemente lasted me 15 years until I finally put a hole in them.

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:Thumbs up for the day drinking. I appreciate that you’re fighting the uphill battle explaining collector behavior (which is fundamentally irrational) to a bunch of collectors, who can’t grasp it because the collectible at issue isn’t the one they collect. Good luck and Godspeed!

I had just woken up from last night's venture when I read the day drinking post. Then got a call from my friend that had obviously started already putting back together a Flight 2000 I sold him. Too early for me so far.

I love your simple analogy though. Yes, we live on a forum where people put down anything they are not into or don't understand. Perhaps to reaffirm to themselves and hopefully get support from others what they like is the real deal and better. Then the defenders take a stand and use the same tactic in reverse. Noone is immune.

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Noone is immune.

He must be up to date on his vaccinations.

#174 4 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

If anyone pays over $2K for that there nuts.
John

it's quite the ugly piece of shit. 2K would be more than i'd be willing to pay.

#175 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

He must be up to date on his vaccinations.

Not sure about that, but the man sure has style.

64 (resized).jpg64 (resized).jpg
#176 4 years ago

Visiting Boston today and chanced by this place. I can report they offer a Supreme selection of Slim Jims and pet food.
0698F13F-D4B1-4D7B-935C-27C4B45C1236 (resized).jpeg0698F13F-D4B1-4D7B-935C-27C4B45C1236 (resized).jpeg

#177 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

no. Ask 100 people what supreme is and ask those 100 people what nike is. You might get 1% that has heard of it and still doesn't know what they sell.

#178 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No Fear T-shirts were very popular from the mid-1990s to early-2000s,

I miss seeing all the lifted pickups with No Fear stickers across the top of the windshield. They were cool.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Ask 100 people what supreme is and ask those 100 people what nike is. You might get 1% that has heard of it and still doesn't know what they sell.

Ask 100 young people who Snoop Dogg is and most will know. Ask 100 young people who Beatles are and you won't even get the response "Isn't that the band Paul McCartney was in before Wings?" anymore.

Ask the same group about Supreme, and then throw Hang Ten out there.

Point is Supreme is not marketed to old, out of touch people.

Guess it's up to each individual how he wants to relate to what's going on now or not, no matter how old you are.

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ask 100 young people

If I ask 100 young people anything it's going to be to get off my lawn!

#181 4 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

If I ask 100 young people anything it's going to be to get off my lawn!

In my mind, a perfect world would be young people running the pinball industry and games being put out on location where young people could find it and relate to it just like we did when we were young. I may be a tad older than the average pinsider, but never lost my hunger for new culture as it unfolds.

That in itself is part of what keeps one young.

#182 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

In my mind, a perfect world would be young people running the pinball industry and games being put out on location where young people could find it and relate to it just like we did when we were young. I may be a tad older than the average pinsider, but never lost my hunger for new culture as it unfolds.

Just a tad?

2203929D-80CA-47D8-8520-00446D284A28 (resized).jpeg2203929D-80CA-47D8-8520-00446D284A28 (resized).jpeg
#183 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Point is Supreme is not marketed to old, out of touch people.

I think this group might include me...
Not on facebook, snapchat, twitter, instragram or anything else and my friends all tell me that I am still living in 1976.
I tell them that if they want to talk to me, that they can look me in the eye and say whatever they want to.
Sometimes you can read a lot about a person from their body language.
If that makes me out of touch, so be it...

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

That in itself is part of what keeps one young.

Not if this pinball is their idea of 'cool'.

#185 4 years ago

I wish i would have tried to buy one purely for reselling. I think I might start investing in SUPREME until the bottom falls out. That’s a hell of a good ROI.

#186 4 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

I wish i would have tried to buy one purely for reselling.

They were gone in seconds. You could easily have doubled your money.

LTG : )

#187 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Thumbs up for the day drinking. I appreciate that you’re fighting the uphill battle explaining collector behavior (which is fundamentally irrational) to a bunch of collectors, who can’t grasp it because the collectible at issue isn’t the one they collect. Good luck and Godspeed!

You just nailed the disconnect that I couldn't quite put into words. Just because I have 100 books in a bookcase doesn't make me a book collector. It means I have no reason to get rid of them. Not everyone who owns a pinball machine or is on Pinside is a collector. I certainly don't consider myself to be one just because I have a few pinball machines. So the task is even harder...explaining irrational collector behavior to rational non-collectors.

Quoted from LTG:

You could have done that by just selling a few hundred copies of your receipt on Ebay to other Supreme collectors and keeping the machine!

#188 4 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

Not on facebook, snapchat, twitter, instragram or anything else and my friends all tell me that I am still living in 1976.

I'm not on any of those either but my friends and people I meet know I'm not stuck in 1976 mainly because of music I listen to and discuss with them and don't have any new pinball machines dedicated to shit that happened 30-50 years ago.

A couple passed through here for a short time, until I realized how ridiculous they were and I no longer wanted to look at them, let alone play them. I refuse to buy anything like that or display it in my house. Older machines that fit the era they were created and suit my taste are fine. Unfortunately many represent a more modern time than most of pinball does now.

#189 4 years ago

I step away for a bit to get dinner and cocktails to only come back and see this bullshit still going on? Time to go start night drinking...

#190 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Have they actually sold? I've seen a bunch on ebay for 60-90k, but none of them sold.

#191 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Have they actually sold? I've seen a bunch on ebay for 60-90k, but none of them sold.

I was talking the first release, who ever sold them on line initially. I think $10K ? Some changed hands right after for $20K

No idea recent sale prices.

#192 4 years ago

$10k was the initial price and you had to be super lucky or have some kind of bidding bot to get one.

$35k is a more realistic secondary market rate as I know some changed hands for that.

The auction is in Beverly Hills and if I had $25k mad money to spend right now, I would go give it a shot. But I don't.

I know if Don (terrapin99) who lived in Beverly was still with us, it would no doubt be at his house following the auction.

#193 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Take a dump on a table, call it "art", sell dump table for $500k.. That's Supreme. Ignorance knows no bounds..

#194 4 years ago

I mentioned Don a couple posts ago and I happened by Evan's, our local distributer, this afternoon. He tells me he knows a guy that is desperately seeking a T-2. I don't really want to sell mine, but decided to look around and see if he had anything to trade I might be interested in. He's got tons of games new and old.

I bypassed all the new games and remakes of course, and stumbled upon a nice original Medieval Madness. Played a game- nope, I like T-2 better. Same with a nice original AFM.

And there it was, Don's METLE, missing of course his infamous custom Sparky. So I say let's give it one more chance. A few notes into one song and just looking at the thing made me walk away. Won't be making that mistake again.

Might have to play some T-2 tonight.

#195 4 years ago

Coincidentally my Snapple showed me why o-din is the way he is

1C908A70-65A8-4E53-9854-3C8B2B6D1117 (resized).jpeg1C908A70-65A8-4E53-9854-3C8B2B6D1117 (resized).jpeg
#196 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Coincidentally my Snapple showed me why o-din is the way he is

Is that Snapple made with real sugar or high fructose corn syrup?

You should be looking at the ingredients instead of reading your fortune.

#197 4 years ago

So is limited quantity product with a fancy name worth the asking price or not?
Some say it is an exclusive brand whose products appeal to an elite clientele.
Others say you have to be crazy to pay big money for such overpriced junk.
Since the two sides will never agree, why don't we let the Supreme Court decide?

#198 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Others say you have to be crazy to pay big money for such overpriced junk.

See, it is one thing to voice an opinion about a product, another to directly insult a buyer.

Like I can sit here and say most of the latest pinball machines are ugly, overpriced pieces of garbage, with terribly outdated themes and atrocious artwork, that I would never let into my house let alone want to play. But at the same time I am not chastising those that do buy them.

Those that use words like idiot or ignorant in regards to other's purchases are probably very insecure in their own.

Quoted from littlecammi:

Since the two sides will never agree, why don't we let the Supreme Court decide?

They would probably decide we are all crazy and lock us away for wasting their time.

#199 4 years ago

Everyone is sleeping on the real winner... Supreme X Fender

61AE1753-FEA0-4B34-9920-8236EE367CE8 (resized).jpeg61AE1753-FEA0-4B34-9920-8236EE367CE8 (resized).jpeg
#200 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Supreme X Fender

Leo would be proud. Seriously.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 530 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-supreme-pin-up-for-auction-minimum-bid-20000/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.