468a8f17fb4da4bdc3df2bc0256b7b66 (resized).jpg
neil-young-by-terry-richardson-for-supreme-0 (resized).jpg
12C396BD-09A8-48F5-9995-96B406BE08F5 (resized).jpeg
lf.jpg
292AD5ED-108D-4C2B-8A83-DB7298F142BA (resized).png
136C1B52-C5A8-4AC2-A8A3-23E32124D427 (resized).png
BE2CB2F1-EB92-48A5-84B7-3845C2048A84 (resized).png
d4dafbd834ecc67b9666e869edc0eebb_listingImg_IHnxpLv5Dg (resized).jpg

There are 530 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.
#502 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

This thread has devolved............

Because the game is sold and there is no more left for you.

Vh91supreme-sweatshirt-hooded-sweater-31 (resized).jpgVh91supreme-sweatshirt-hooded-sweater-31 (resized).jpg
#503 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Because the game is sold and there is no more left for you.[quoted image]

That is DEFINITELY not it.........

#504 4 years ago

Weird, it’s almost like different people have different tastes.

Except for clown puke LEDs - that is objectively crap.

#505 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I don't get why the hate for music pins? Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC are in Sterns top 5 games and within top 10 to 15 games ever made by any manufacturer.

Why I don't like them? Because it is tired music that I outgrew over 30 years ago and can't stand to listen to it now. It's fucking ancient crap being passed off as recent and I won't even play them. Not to mention the hideous artwork. And no they are not in the top 10-15 games of all time.

#506 4 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

When I first saw this pin with the Supreme theme, no lie, I thought it was a joke. I'd never heard of Supreme before. Apparently the joke is on me because it's an actual thing.
Who knew?

I thought the exact same thing...…...

#507 4 years ago

That's pretty much the crux of it all. What is 'worth' to someone is extremely (supremely?) internal. Lots of people I know are all 'wow' you own pinball machines, and they think maybe they want one....then you tell them how much they cost and they look at you like you are insane. This is just an extreme extension of the same thing. A niche product within a niche product. I would imagine most pinball enthusiasts laugh at this because there is no 'theme' to speak of and they know the actual costs. However, one of these is as rare as a prototype TZ *cough* or a Lebowski...etc. In this case it is obvious branding. However, how is that any different than those that collect Coke products, or even are brand snobs - such as the ongoing Ford vs. GM fanatics. Or Harley-Davidson etc. It really is all the same thing.

#508 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That's pretty much the crux of it all. What is 'worth' to someone is extremely (supremely?) internal. Lots of people I know are all 'wow' you own pinball machines, and they think maybe they want one....then you tell them how much they cost and they look at you like you are insane. This is just an extreme extension of the same thing. A niche product within a niche product. I would imagine most pinball enthusiasts laugh at this because there is no 'theme' to speak of and they know the actual costs. However, one of these is as rare as a prototype TZ *cough* or a Lebowski...etc. In this case it is obvious branding. However, how is that any different than those that collect Coke products, or even are brand snobs - such as the ongoing Ford vs. GM fanatics. Or Harley-Davidson etc. It really is all the same thing.

Worth is very internal, but that's where the comparison ends.

The theme is the brand (supreme) itself. It is certainly "rare", but that doesn't impart value in and of itself, as I pointed out in an earlier post.
Coke products, for the most part, cost a VERY small fraction of what this went for. It's hard to compare a $3 glass to a $39,000 (plus premium) pinball.
Ford and GM fans are getting a vehicle...something that actually serves a purpose and can be used extensively by virtually anyone. (This is called intrinsic value). Same thing with a Harley.

This is a case of simply paying for a name. Truly nothing else.

You can get better pinballs. You can get newer pinballs. You can get rarer pins, pins with more universally appealing themes, more complex pins, better light shows, tons more toys/gimmicks...heck...it is a remake! You can get THE SAME pinball.

What this boils down to is a brand. A counterculture skateboard brand that convinced locals of it's coolness. It eventually grew and spread. They create a demand by having celebs wear their items and selling them in "limited quantities" as a means to artificially inflate the prices.

Is their marketing better than most? Sure. But in the end, that's literally all you pay for. Marketing. It is marketed to idiots with too much money and no sense.

A better comparison would be Gucci. They built their product name so well, that at one point they were intentionally selling the tackiest possible clothing and slapping their "brand" (the Gucci name) on it to sell it for far more than what is was worth. (I.e. a $20 handbag selling for $600 because it had a Gucci tag)

What's really amusing is the fact that Supreme sold these pins (and their clothes, for that matter) to the very people they are rebelling against...and those people shell out many multiples of what they are worth just to be cool, not realizing that it is a culture opposed to theirs. Pathetic.

#509 4 years ago

Seth Rollins said it best:

th (resized).jpegth (resized).jpeg
#510 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Worth is very internal, but that's where the comparison ends.
The theme is the brand (supreme) itself. It is certainly rare, but that doesn't impart value in and of itself, as I pointed out in an earlier post.
Coke products, for the most part, cost a VERY small fraction if what this went for. It's hard to compare a $3 glass to a $39,000 (plus premium) pinball.
Ford and GM fans are getting a vehicle...something that actually serves a purpose and can be used extensively by virtually anyone. (This is called intrinsic value). Same thing with barley.
This is a case of simply paying for a name. Truly nothing else.
You can get better pinballs. You can get newer pinballs. You can get rarer pins, pins with more universally appealing themes, more complex pins, better light shows, tons more toys/gimmicks...heck...it is a remake! You can get THE SAME pinball.
What this boils down to is a brand. A counterculture skateboard brand that convinced locals if it's coolness. It eventually grew and spread. They create a demand by having celebs wear their items and selling them in "limited quantities" as a means to artificially inflate the prices.
Is their marketing better than most? Sure. But in the end, that's literally all you pay for. Marketing. It is marketed to idiots with too much money and no sense.
A better comparison would be Gucci. They built their product name so well, that at one point they were intentionally selling the tackiest possible clothing and slapping their "brand" (the Gucci name) on it to sell it for far more than what is was worth. (I.e. a $20 handbag selling for $600 because it had a Gucci tag)
What's really amusing is the fact that Supreme sold these pins (and their clothes, for that matter) to the very people they are rebelling against...and those people shell out many multiples of what they are worth just to be cool, not realizing that it is a culture opposed to theirs. Pathetic.

We get it, you hate Supreme and only douchenozzles like it. You are a sucker for buying marketing. Blah, blah, blah. Guess what, there are tons of things that fit into this category. Diamonds for millennium have been virtually worthless until the diamond industry was created and said that not only should you give a diamond as a show of love, but it should be worth x amount of your salary. Diamonds for industrial purposes are cheap, but cut it and polish it, and you can sell it for way more as a show of love. Gold, silver, platinum, rubies, all fit into this category. Hell, why would somebody pay 5-6x for sliced pickles when you can get a whole one cheaper? Let's not even get into organic and artesianal foods...

Marketing happens everywhere and we all fall for it. To say otherwise is foolish.

Note: I am not a Supreme fan and would never pay that much for something. However, to each their own.

3 months later
#511 4 years ago

Oreo and Supreme are now teaming up...

https://people.com/food/oreo-supreme-red-cookies-release/

Screenshot_20200218-210024_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200218-210024_Chrome.jpg
#512 4 years ago

Time for Stern Supreme Vault Edition...game is above MSRP, time to sink it!!!

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Oreo and Supreme are now teaming up...

Sweet!

#514 4 years ago

For whatever reason I never cared much for them. I always liked Choc-o-lunch from Lance a lot better.

#515 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

For whatever reason I never cared much for them. I always liked Choc-o-lunch from Lance a lot better.

My parents would only buy Hydrox back in the day. They played it off as if they were the same as Oreo to save money.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#516 4 years ago

Hydrox, lol.

Think that's bad, mom used to buy Dutch Pride imitation ice milk and pass it off as real ice cream.

#517 4 years ago

I hate tuna. My Mother was always trying to pass it off as chicken.

LTG : )

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

She obviously didn't present it right.

71d0WDIFL8L._SL1317_ (resized).jpg71d0WDIFL8L._SL1317_ (resized).jpg
#519 4 years ago

A box of those would make a good topper.

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Well the tag line is indeed "Chicken of the Sea"... So on some level she wasn't fibbing to you

#521 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

So on some level she wasn't fibbing to you

Kind of.

I'll never understand it though. My Mother was pretty good about leaving me eat what I want and avoiding what I didn't want. But she was determined my disdain for tuna was in my head and she could trick me into eating it and from then on I'd like it.

Never happened.

#522 4 years ago
3pmmen (resized).jpg3pmmen (resized).jpg
#524 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Kind of.
I'll never understand it though. My Mother was pretty good about leaving me eat what I want and avoiding what I didn't want. But she was determined my disdain for tuna was in my head and she could trick me into eating it and from then on I'd like it.
Never happened.

So on April 1st, you may or may not get an unsolicited GrubHub delivery from Crossroads Delicatessen, for a "chicken" sandwich and sweet-tater fries.

Make sure not to ask questions and just eat the sandwich because hey, free sandwich.

#525 4 years ago

#527 4 years ago

Smells like fish, tastes like chicken. You better know what you've been licking

#528 4 years ago

Shit just got real.

image-414 (resized).jpegimage-414 (resized).jpeg
#529 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Shit just got real.[quoted image]

ha. I’ll bid $1 million when it comes up in auction.

#530 4 years ago

I wonder how many of those machines would have actually sold at a starting sales price of $35000 from Stern.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
58,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 530 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-supreme-pin-up-for-auction-minimum-bid-20000/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.