468a8f17fb4da4bdc3df2bc0256b7b66 (resized).jpg
neil-young-by-terry-richardson-for-supreme-0 (resized).jpg
12C396BD-09A8-48F5-9995-96B406BE08F5 (resized).jpeg
lf.jpg
292AD5ED-108D-4C2B-8A83-DB7298F142BA (resized).png
136C1B52-C5A8-4AC2-A8A3-23E32124D427 (resized).png
BE2CB2F1-EB92-48A5-84B7-3845C2048A84 (resized).png
d4dafbd834ecc67b9666e869edc0eebb_listingImg_IHnxpLv5Dg (resized).jpg
There are 530 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Well duh. Pretty sure same is true for every new pin.

The exception might be Thunderbirds.

#452 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

How about on the aging rock star?
"Keep on rockin' the Supreme world..."

Love that rockin' in a free world. Love your Supreme avatar.

#453 4 years ago

Stern Supreme Pin Goes for $38,750 in Auction

"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

Is that a legit photo? I thought Neil was super opposed to branding etc.

#455 4 years ago

Needless to say, Supreme is the most valuable license pinball has hooked up with since the 90s.

#456 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

What’s that around his neck? Is there some cultural misappropriation going on there?

I had never heard of Supreme until this topic came up last time, so I started paying attention in public. Over the last year or two I’d say that I’ve seen a half a dozen or so caps and t-shirts, usually on teenagers, so probably not the most popular thing here in Texas (oh I did see some old white beat up car nearly covered in Supreme stickers driving down the highway - I assume the driver was being ironic).

Being the independent counter-culture soul that I am, I’m naturally repelled by anything I see that exhibits herd mentality. I find blindly following something just because others are doing it or because it is perceived to be exclusive Is void of reason and logic, and ultimately there is some form of seeking the approval of others at the root of it.

I’m also one who is not jealous of others regardless of their situation, and I believe they have the right to spend their money however they deem fit. However, I do find it interesting the lengths people will go to in order to be elevated in their peer group while everyone else on the outside sees their behavior as trivial or foolish.

We obviously live in a society where brand cannot be avoided, but to formulate an apologetic defense for a particular one that appears to give meaning to ones life is just sad. Regardless, even though I’m not a sociologist or behavioral scientist, I find the topic interesting and think I may do some research on it. I also do have to give some credit to whoever founded Supreme. They obviously are brilliant in identifying, monetizing, and marketing to the characteristics in people that lead to their success. Seems like one of those situations where many are saying, “That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. Dang, how come I didn’t think of that?”.

#457 4 years ago

Well at least when the Supreme collecting fad runs it's course the buyer will have an overpriced pinball to play unlike Beanie Babies which effectively became landfill.

#458 4 years ago

I was waiting for my wife at the mall yesterday. I tried on a Supreme toque and she walked by and asked why I was trying on a Colgate toque

#459 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Well at least when the Supreme collecting fad runs it's course the buyer will have an overpriced pinball to play unlike Beanie Babies which effectively became landfill.

Same could be said for just about any of today's pinball machines based on themes from before the most recent two generations were even alive.

They will have to call in the big trucks on trash day for most of those. Knowing today's youth, they will probably just set them out on the curb in the unlikely event somebody will just haul them away.

#460 4 years ago

Someone has more money than brains. Pretty typical of folks nowadays.

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from swanng:

Someone has more money than brains. Pretty typical of folks nowadays.

I find it odd that you collect pinballs but don’t get how others would spend their money for their own thing.

#462 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

I find it odd that you collect pinballs but don’t get how others would spend their money for their own thing.

I usually put these in the "Pinsiders complaining about smartphones and the internet while using their smart phones to post on Pinside on the internet" File.

#463 4 years ago

Buyer would be smart to chop and part his Supreme pin. If the whole costs $38k, the parts might fetch $138k.

For every Supreme fan who can spend $38k, there are hundreds who’ll spend $500. If they buy a coil, it won’t say Supreme, but a signed pic of pin could be provided to hang beside it.

#465 4 years ago

Man there sure are a lot of stupid posts in this thread by people who don’t get supreme and are attempting to be funny...

Mind boggling how supreme has struck some nerve with most of pinside.

#466 4 years ago

Mind boggling how supreme has struck some nerve with most of pinside.

I believe we have found ourselves in some far out, futuristic land where nothing relevant to the 21st century matters or is taken seriously.

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

What’s that around his neck? Is there some cultural misappropriation going on there?
I had never heard of Supreme until this topic came up last time, so I started paying attention in public. Over the last year or two I’d say that I’ve seen a half a dozen or so caps and t-shirts, usually on teenagers, so probably not the most popular thing here in Texas (oh I did see some old white beat up bar nearly covered in Supreme stickers driving down the highway)
Being the independent counter-culture soul that I am, I’m naturally repelled by anything I see that exhibits herd mentality. I find blindly following something just because others are doing it or because it is perceived to be exclusive Is void of reason and logic, and ultimately there is some form of seeking the approval of others at the root of it.
I’m also one who is not jealous of others regardless of their situation, and I believe they have the right to spend their money however they deem fit. However, I do find it interesting the lengths people will go to in order to be elevated in their peer group while everyone else on the outside sees their behavior as trivial or foolish.
We obviously live in a society where brand cannot be avoided, but to formulate an apologetic defense for a particular one that appears to give meaning to ones life is just sad. Regardless, even though I’m not a sociologist or behavioral scientist, I find the topic interesting and think I may do some research on it. I also do have to give some credit to whoever founded Supreme. They obviously are brilliant in identifying, monetizing, and marketing to the characteristics in people that lead to their success. Seems like one of those situations where many are saying, “That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve ever seen. Dang, how come I didn’t think of that?”.

This post wins this thread!

#468 4 years ago

Mind boggling how Supreme has struck some nerve with most of Pinside.

But only the most obsessed of them all uses the Supreme logo as his Pinside avatar.

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-first-pinball-festival-you-have-to-go

lol.

#470 4 years ago

Over a hundred years ago I owned comic book stores one of them also carried sports cards old and new, both the comic people and the sports card people would say about each other,"can you believe people waste their money on that crap?"

Just thought I'd share

#471 4 years ago

Greater fools theory in action. Only reason you'd pay that much for this machine is that you think some other sucker will pay you more for it in the future.

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Greater fools theory in action. Only reason you'd pay that much for this machine is that you think some other sucker will pay you more for it in the future.

Like the usual LE pinball theory?

#473 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Like the usual LE pinball theory?

Pretty much, but to a lesser (cheaper) extent. Premium models I can understand since you get better game play.

#474 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Pretty much, but to a lesser (cheaper) extent. Premium models I can understand since you get better game play.

Well, I'm not knocking anybody that pays $35k+ for a Supreme pinball machine, when every day I see people driving close to $100k cars with fancy labels on them, when a Corolla or Civic would get them where they are going just fine.

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Well, I'm not knocking anybody that pays $35k+ for a Supreme pinball machine, when every day I see people driving close to $100k cars with fancy labels on them, when a Corolla or Civic would get them where they are going just fine.

Oh I would and do knock them too. That's even worse with those being heavily depreciating assets.

#476 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

Oh I would and do knock them too. That's even worse with those being heavily depreciating assets.

Everybody has the right to pick and choose what assets they appreciatte and don't mind depreciating.

I wonder how many here that are knocking those that spend a lot of money on Supreme, themselves drive some expensive status symbol of a car. Or spend $50-$100 on a steak dinner. Or wear clothes that cost a lot of money that carry some other label.

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Everybody has the right to pick and choose what assets they appreciatte and don't mind depreciating.
I wonder how many here that are knocking those that spend a lot of money on Supreme, themselves drive some expensive status symbol of a car. Or spend $50-$100 on a steak dinner. Or wear clothes that cost a lot of money that carry some other label.

Not me. People think I'm crazy, but I live by the FIRE mentality for financial independence. I spend roughly 10% of my income and save/invest the rest. I told my boss yesterday that my wife and I went out to dinner recently for only the second time in 9 years. We just don't enjoy things like that. Time and independence is more important to us than possessions and expensive experiences.

#478 4 years ago

For those of you interested in seeing actual gameplay.

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What about a rebadged Civic for 4x the price?

#480 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Sounds fantastic.

#481 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What about a rebadged Civic for 4x the price?

Not sure what model you are talking about, but many seem to buy an expensive new car just to have an expensive new car when the old one still works fine or they already have another but want more than one.

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not sure what model you are talking about, but many seem to buy an expensive new car just to have an expensive new car when the old one still works fine.

I hope you’re not referring to me dumping my 17 year old Civic for a new Accord last month. Still feeling a little self-conscious about it, I guess.

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Not sure what model you are talking about, but many seem to buy an expensive new car just to have an expensive new car when the old one still works fine or they already have another but want more than one.

Your supreme machine....is.....a rebadged Civic.

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Your supreme machine....is.....a rebadged Civic.

Honda is sure building some fancy cars these days.

468a8f17fb4da4bdc3df2bc0256b7b66 (resized).jpg468a8f17fb4da4bdc3df2bc0256b7b66 (resized).jpg
#485 4 years ago

When I first saw this pin with the Supreme theme, no lie, I thought it was a joke. I'd never heard of Supreme before. Apparently the joke is on me because it's an actual thing.

Who knew?

#486 4 years ago

Probably mostly outcasts and other people with no identity of their own that don't visit a website where many are obsessed with and think the 80s are still cool. And nothing relevant has happened since then.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg
#487 4 years ago
Quoted from investingdad:

When I first saw this pin with the Supreme theme, no lie, I thought it was a joke. I'd never heard of Supreme before. Apparently the joke is on me because it's an actual thing.
Who knew?

Ditto. I saw this game on ebay or somewhere months ago and figured it was a joke. Never looked into it after that.

#488 4 years ago

What's your point? BTW, I love how you obviously went through my previous posts to find something that you thought was a "gotcha". How many things did you have to read before you came across this one? Probably not many since this was well over two years ago, but you'll welcome to post something more current as you continue your research into me.

I went to my first TPF not because I needed affirmation from or to check out the crowd. I didn't go because others do it, because I wanted to be seen doing it, or because it gave me an artificial sense of superiority, belonging, or accomplishment. I went because I was just getting into pinball, I wanted to learn more about the hobby, and experience games that otherwise I would never have an opportunity to play so I could figure out what games I should pursue in the future. My post was to let others in a similar situation to me know what my experience was like, so that they could make their own decision if such an experience would be worthy of their efforts. It wasn't about being seen or being part of an "in" crowd.

Personally, I see no parallel to being a Supreme sycophant nor was my experience contradictory to anything I stated in my previous post (the point which I assume you are trying to make). Not sure when those who are will learn that they are the real product and being taken advantage of. Personally, I find it sad that one finds their meaning in a brand. There is so much more to existence, and the real meaning of life to be discovered. Oh well, a pinball forum is probably not the proper place for ontological discussion.

Some interesting abstracts:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/mar.20254
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042813050593
https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1509/jmkg.75.3.66
https://medium.com/@TripleJas/the-lifestyle-brand-blueprint-for-tomorrows-companies-fdbdfce25c14

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Stern Supreme Pin Goes for $38,750 in Auction
"There's a sucker born every minute" - P.T. Barnum

I have been saying that about California real estate, too. The stuff is overpriced. The only problem is that I have been saying that about California real estate for the last 40 years as some beach shack for $15,000.00 then now sells for a couple of million.

#490 4 years ago

That gameplay looks boring as hell. Whoever bought this is a fucking tool and probably needs his ass kicked.

#491 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

What's your point? BTW, I love how you obviously went through my previous posts to find something that you thought was a "gotcha". How many things did you have to read before you came across this one? Probably not many since this was well over two years ago, but you'll welcome to post something more current as you continue your research into me.

I read your long post which seemed to say you are above and beyond doing things just because others are doing them as it somehow relates to this topic, and then just casually scrolled down threads you started to see how true to yourself you really are.

It was the "You Have To Go!" part that grabbed my attention. And the part about "upon persuasion from a friend"

No need to throw a tantrum, Mr.

#492 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I read your long post which seemed to say you are above and beyond doing things just because others are doing them as it somehow relates to this topic, and then just casually scrolled down threads you started to see how true to yourself you really are.
It was the "You Have To Go!" part that grabbed my attention. And the part about "upon persuasion from a friend"
No need to throw a tantrum, Mr.

You win. Reading my words and interpreting them in a literal manner to fit your argument is exactly the same is living and defining my life via a brand - sorry I ever questioned your wisdom. Please continue on with your defense of Supreme and lifestyle branding so that we all may become enlightened to the real ways of the world.

#493 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You win. Reading my words and interpreting them in a literal manner to fit your argument is exactly the same is living and defining my life via a brand - sorry I ever questioned your wisdom. Please continue on with your defense of Supreme and lifestyle branding so that we all may become enlightened to the real ways of the world.

No problem. And you can keep on saying you basically do not follow any trends or buy anything because of the brand. And make it sound like those that do are lessor beings because of it.

I bet you are so above all that you never even bought the same brand car twice. Or the same toothpaste. Or bought something just because a TV ad appealed to you. Congrats! You win the internet today.

#494 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

No problem. And you can keep on saying you basically do not follow any trends or buy anything because of the brand. And make it sound like those that do are lessor beings because of it.
I bet you are so above all that you never even bought the same brand car twice. Or the same toothpaste. Or bought something just because a TV ad appealed to you. Congrats! You win the internet today.

Hmmm, I don't recall degrading or calling anyone "lessor". However, I encourage everyone to be introspective on occasion to see just how honest they are with themselves, and to think about what they can do to improve.

As far as advertising goes, I've never purchased anything in my life solely based on an advertisement. Sure, I've been made aware of products that might appeal to me, but I've never cared what brand things are. I'd probably say that I'm on the opposite spectrum from those who value a lifestyle brand are, but that carries its own challenges at times.

Anyway, I think I'm done with this topic. Feel free to have the last words, and I'll leave any judgement up to everyone else who feels they must comment.

#495 4 years ago

Holy hell there are some humorless naval gazers in this thread. The people buying a Supreme pinball give two shits about your opinions about how overrated you think this pin is or how too cool for school you are that you don't buy brands. They wanted it, they had the cash-ish to buy it, and they are happy with their decisions.

I thought everybody on here was about growing pinball and shit. I guess they only mean that when it is a theme that they judge "worthy" and at a price they think is low enough.

#496 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I actually think it looks pretty fun.
The sounds are friggin awesome.

#497 4 years ago

The sounds are very cool and imo I really enjoyed playing it.

#498 4 years ago

you laugh at them for buying something current relevant in theme and spending a ton because it actually appeals to way way more General collectors and people currently, they laugh at you for buying New machines based on rock groups from 40 years ago that appeal to people 50 and over for the most part. whats the difference?

#499 4 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

you laugh at them for buying something current relevant in theme and spending a ton because it actually appeals to way way more General collectors and people currently, they laugh at you for buying New machines based on rock groups from 40 years ago that appeal to people 50 and over for the most part. whats the difference?

Difference is a game like Supreme actually gives some hope for an otherwise embarrassing compared to what it once was industry that has decided all of the sudden it needs to be family friendly and politically correct with themes from a way back time when that wasn't even a thing just to survive. And for the most part acts like the 21st century hasn't even happened yet. Pinball used to be right on the cutting edge, but I can't think of any other part of the entertainment industry that has become so watered down as of late.

#500 4 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

I don't get why the hate for music pins? Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC are in Sterns top 5 games and within top 10 to 15 games ever made by any manufacturer. I'm 41 and the guys I know in their early 60s love these games too as well as the guys my age and guess what? The kids we hang with in their early 20s love them too. They would rather play them then game of thrones or deadpool or any other newer/relevant/hip themed game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 530 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-supreme-pin-up-for-auction-minimum-bid-20000/page/10?hl=adol75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.