(Topic ID: 183804)

Stern style leg protectors on classic Bally??

By djblouw

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by djblouw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg

#1 7 years ago

As the topic states:

What are your thoughts about putting the metal Stern leg protectors on a classic Bally machine?

I know they're intended to not make decals wrinkle, but...

I restored my cabinet for Flash Gordon. In the process I filled in the large divots the legs had left in the cabinet from 35 years of abuse.

My thought is adding the protectors will keep the legs off the cabinet and prevent damage. But is that blasphemy?

Any one have pictures of how it looks with the legs on? I have them on many of my WPC games, but not sure how the gap would look with a classic Bally?

#2 7 years ago

It's your game. Do what you want.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

I don't even notice the gap with the Stern protectors installed, potential buyers wont notice the gap either but they will probably notice and point out decal wrinkles, I have them on all my Sterns and if I get a AFMr I will put them on there to protect the decals for sure.

#4 7 years ago

I have put them on during restoration or re-decaling a Bally/Williams game. Cut the decal though around where the protector goes or it WILL wrinkle the decal.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

I don't even notice the gap with the Stern protectors installed, potential buyers wont notice the gap either but they will probably notice and point out decal wrinkles, I have them on all my Sterns and if I get a AFMr I will put them on there to protect the decals for sure.

AFMr will come with metal leg protectors already installed like MMr was I bet. I bought metal leg protectors in anticipation of my MMR delivery but did not need to use them. So save some money (all $15 worth).

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bobby:

I have put them on during restoration or re-decaling a Bally/Williams game. Cut the decal though around where the protector goes or it WILL wrinkle the decal.

These don't have decals

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

These don't have decals

Exactly.

On the classic Bally it's paint & stencil.

I know I can do whatever I want to my own game, but I don't want it to look like a hack job.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-style-leg-protectors-on-classic-bally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.