IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4484 4 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Here is some more unedited convention show floor video for ya per some requests.
From the bright convention floor.
The graphic that is being projected when you first hit start is dim (the wall with the letters). Literally all other footage from the projector is bright and sharp. ‍♂️

Thanks for the video!

So....the backglass lcd is now projected, and the lcd just has distracting scrolling scores? Kinda weird. And well....distracting.

#4488 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hahaha. No. That video is of the game in attract mode.

Phew!!!

1 week later
#4880 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I found Billy to be the most annoying character in this show's history.
So he's a heavy metal burnout who drives a Camaro? Ok, we all knew guys like that.
But wait...he's also a big time "karate kid bad guy" jock who rules the basketball court and brutalizes dweebs with his athletic prowess?
Also found his teary death scene out of place...the guy was a huge abusive douche and we never saw an inkling of kindness or any sort of affection between Max and himself. Like, good riddance bro!
Seems like they wanted two wildly different characters but only had time for one.

Saw your post here yesterday, and coincidentally had binge watched up to episode 6 of season 3 in a week or so.....

Then finished it off, and was dozing off during the final 10 minutes or so at 5am.

Definitely liked the show more than I thought I would. I was expecting to actively dislike it, and grew to appreciate some of the characters overtime, and some never grew on me.

Billy had a nice arc, and at least felt redeemed. Though most male characters on that show seem to be fodder. They fall into the dead, dumb dumb foil, or villain category all too often. Female characters seem written a bit more teflon, fairly dominant, and lacking less flaws.

The effects and monster designs seem to get better season by season, and I really hope they introduce different monster types/an entirely new enemy altogether. By the end of season three, the cycle of events feels a bit stale.

Cinematography is really surprising for a streamed show, and has some impressive marriages of real shots with nice lighting and CQ effects.

I was also surprised how well the 80's backdrop slotted in. I feared things would be heavier handed than they were.

Overall, much better than I expected. Now onto playing the pin more!

#4883 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wait, so the female characters are more teflon and dominant, but they have more flaws? If they lack less flaws, that means they have more flaws...this sentence is confusing.

Lacking less flaws than male characters. Many of the male leads in the show seemed foolish, evil or unable to have their own agency. And or die, get killed, disposable, etc. Fodder.

Kinda flip flopped from how most scripts were oriented in lots of media. Ideally a balance can exist. Ideally.

No need to derail, just thought I'd share impressions on the show considering I'd never watched it all of these years.

#4885 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Barb is worth 100 men! #justice4BARB

Damn. I forgot about her. I liked her. Seemed a nice balance for Nancy. She did get shit on hard. I'd trade her for Will, frankly.

#4888 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I’ll take whoever she is[quoted image]

She was a pretty fun character and actress. Steve grew on me a lot too, (Feels like a Nathan Filion Jr.) and I felt kinda goofy for hoping they'd become a couple.

#4913 4 years ago

Looks better than I expected.

I wish the bonus screens had some more animation. Things still look a bit unfinished or like placeholders.

3 weeks later
#6323 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

[quoted image]
Because they wanted exactly what they have here... the ability to sell an add-on kit.
Advertising the ink you can't take advantage of is even more backwards...
My comment was about the revisionist statement happening now.. that this feature is the feature that MAKES THE GAME - yet so many people shelled out thousands of dollars WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING IT EXISTED. It's using hindsight to rewrite history and justify something today. Complete bs

I think people are just offended that the groundwork for a feature exists in their games already, and now rather than boost those customers faith in their purchase, Stern sees the $$$$$.

It wasn't upfront at all. This wasn't like Stern magically discovered the UV ink. A preplanned, accessible to every existing game, future mod that went unannounced at launch is a shitty business practice.

#6331 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

These guys would like a word with you...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

How much does Stern charge for those headphone jack kits?

I know the toppers are $500 and up.

Those are existing cables that can be accessed for things not even gameplay, directly, functional. A playfield with specific ink qualities, integrated into every game, is not a gratuitous add on feature. It's the literal definition of a feature....BAKED IN.

Besides, those toppers should have been included in LE purchases.....

#6336 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The headphone jack kits are available now because... pssstt.. they built it into the spike hardware design.. its BAKED IN! Oh, and they didn't tell you when they shipped the spike hardware either!

You missed/negated my point.

The playfield is a LITERAL gameplay feature. An add-on headphone jack, is not.

#6340 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Shhhh....don't tell anybody, it's called "marketing".
Please don't tell the shitty plastic mod people what Stern is up to? It's blasphemy. We want FREE shit!!!
The game itself doesn't matter? LOL

Yeah but.....this is a moot point. IF Stern started selling extra game mods and features, (like that might not be a possibility already in the pipeline) then that would be a poor business practice as well. Selling a bare game initially, then adding it back in piecemeal, kinda like what they're doing here....

#6354 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

But....then the F ing crybabies wouldn't have anything to cry about!
Broke, no space and yet they spend thousands on shitty plastic mods.
Yep, you guys KNOW it. This isn't about Stern really. Jealous haters is all it can be.
Because like you said, don't F ing buy it if you don't like it.

It's not even about not buying one, for me anyway, for sure the people that own this game. It's about creating and establishing NEW ways to gouge the customer, versus rewarding them for loyalty, and them clearly paying way too much for the game initially.

Bad business practices, become the new standard. Home buyers saw that happen with the LE/Collector market.

#6359 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wes, seriously, you know i don't have my WonkaCE yet that i "clearly paid way too much for".
Most people really do get it. They buy what they like and are good consumers for the most part.
More importantly, we love great pinball experiences and $$$ is secondary despite what the hypocrites say

I remember you being excited for that CE when they were initially announced. Basically a blind buy on your part, and almost a year later....... That makes me sad.

Oh sure, ultimately if we don't find value, we don't buy it. And if it doesn't change the market, people not buying, so be it. If it does, the same.

I daily scratch my head how this hobby exists for home owners, outside of owning older preexisting games. So really, for me, I don't understand much of anything in this business.

#6375 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

10hrs ago... no one felt this way. And people spent 5-9k based on those feelings.
No one bought with a false expectation of what the game was. The game was revealed and people bought based on what they saw. Not based on some UV kit they felt was coming.. or was lacking.

10 hours ago equation doesn't make sense. Not in something preexisting that you've already accepted within a certain reality.

If a gal you're dating has, say crabs...or worse, and you find out later....isn't that a bit dishonest and shitty as well?

NO ONE should be happy their new Stern Strangers Things game has crabs. Maybe not even that plonkfest "crab" monster in the middle of the playfield.

#6379 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Point is everyone one of those buyers bought knowing what the game was... and consciously made the choice to buy based on what the game was. Now.. something ADDITIONAL comes out.. you don't retroactively go back and say "I really meant to buy this only if it had UV lighting... now I'm screwed because it doesn't have it".
To argue you feel your purchase is incomplete without this is to have no accountability for your own decision to buy. Your game did not get WORSE today. Your game did not get anything LESS than what it was this morning. It simply has MORE to it if you want it and are willing to buy it.
No one's game got 'crabs' today and is no worse off than it was before today.

So. Many. Crabs!

I'd love this announcement, if Stern said they were sending this "upgrade" out post launch, as a freebie. That would be marvelous! Since it isn't, it's shit. And either way, most people seem to be on side of the fence or the other. For me, this definitely doesn't help the prospect of me buying from Stern down the road, as tempting as a solidly built JP2 might be.

#6381 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That isn't true at all. It's been talked about repeatedly about how bland the upside down was and how they could have done more with it. And here we find out they did, they just held it back. Most everyone thinks it is very cool and makes it look like how it should have looked. Perhaps more people would have bought it if it had been released with this - or even revealed that it would be released later. No, they screwed up here, and deserve the criticism.

Well, they sold people initially a fairly stripped down, undercoded, and sound effect/voice over deficient game at launch. Now after slumping sales, assumedly, and consumer backlash....they tack a cheapass feature on, that clearly was planned for into EACH and EVERY game sold so far.

#6385 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Like I said earlier: The "its only $300 people," have no argument because they are failing to flip that statement on its head.
If it's only 300 dollars (not their actual cost,) then why not include it in the game? At least in the LE for fucks sake.
If this was their plan then they should have rolled out the LEs later and all with the lights and made that announcement about the feature "first seen in LEs," and then offered to sell the upgrade kit to the Pros and Premiums.
Total effing miss by their sales and marketing team.

Point is....if this costs consumers $300. We ALL know it costs Stern $100 or under. So yeah, you can't give that shit for "free" to customers that bought in early for an unbaked game???

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wesman.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=wesman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.