IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 4 years ago

I'll never buy a NIB due to quality-control concerns. But if I did and this game is awesome, this would be the one for me. It's taken me a while to stop being bitter at Stern for completely mucking up the greatest theme of all time (The Beatles), but this could be the game.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Bet it has two ramps, three pops and thin ass clear coat.

Don't squash the dream already, for crying out loud! Haha. But you're probably right. Don't forget the Eleven bash toy and no upside down for the pro edition.

#125 4 years ago

Pinball manufacturers love you guys with your plastic/metal ramp (or similar) arguments. You give $100's to $1000's of additional value to things that are 1/10 or less of that to manufacture.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What are you most excited about related to a potential Stranger Things game?

Plenty. This is a theme that I'm very excited about. User controlled magnets (Eleven's telekinesis), Starcourt Mall mini playfield, Sheriff Hopper video mode (Dodging demogorgons in his Chevy Blazer), portal to the Upside Down that you have to close. Lots and lots of potential there. I just hope it's not a big let down like The Beatles. Ideally, I'd like a WOZ-type environment with actual exciting game play.

1 week later
#213 4 years ago

Trying to avoid all of the R&M noise. Happy for those who are happy, but this is the one that I can't wait for and will most assuredly be disappointed in when officially announced/shown- ha.

#236 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Do you guys ever walk through a store and see something that catches your eye-only because you think it might make a cool pinball mod? Walking through Target the other night I spotted some cool die cast Stranger Things toys: 'Billy's Z28 Camaro' and 'Sheriff Hopper's Chevy Blazer'...[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you grab them? You know that Stern's will be flat plastics, if they even show up in the game. Come to think of it, they do put actual toy cars in their games as long as they're $1 Hot Wheels type like Bumblebee in Transformers or the Batmobile in TDK.

#840 4 years ago

The only pin that I've been as excited about in the last 5 years was The Beatles. No game has disappointed me more in the last 5 years more than The Beatles. Don't blow it this time, Stern.

#961 4 years ago

I want the call out: “Hey lard ass. No running on my watch. I gotta warn you again and you’re banned for life. Wanna be banned for life, lard ass?”

#985 4 years ago

One of very few modern dream themes for me. Absolutely cannot wait to see more and play. Teaser looks absolutely awesome!

#1059 4 years ago

Hope the game has some humor too. The show isn't all doom and gloom. It's pretty damn funny at times too.

#1065 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

I bet Stern is going to stick with a darker take on this one. We'll see.

That's certainly what it looks like on the trailer. I'm totally happy with that. But if it is humorless and charmless, for that matter, it will be missing out on two things that fans really love about it.

#1228 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It is a wall.
Like the way the alphabet is projected onto it.[quoted image]

Yes, and if I recall (haven't seen season 1 since it came out), wasn't there a monster behind the wall at the Byers house?

#1259 4 years ago

What's all of this talk about just pros being on location? I must be lucky because the the locations that I go to always has the new premiums or LE's. Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor always has the newest game in LE form, which is just awesome. Marvin's in Farmington Hills has a mix of LE's, premiums, and pros.

#1601 4 years ago

With the prices of these new machines, I'd rather just find a premium or LE on location near me (not hard to do), play 3 games for $2.00, hope that I play well enough for a replay on at least one of those games. Maybe do it again. Come back in a couple of weeks, play again. More times than not, after 12-15 games, I've had enough of that game for a long, long time. I'm only $6.00-$8.00 in. No chipped playfields or node boards to ever have to worry about.

#2046 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Who wants to be one of the first to spend $9k on a Stranger Things LE and report if there are any playfield issues?!
[quoted image]

I wouldn’t want to spend $5700 on a pro and be the first to report such defects.

#3052 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

With everyone talking about Dialed In instead of what the thread is about speaks volumes. Stranger Things is a BOMB!
In my opinion it might be the very worst game Stern has ever produced. Forget the theme as a pinball this game is not good.
This game is a stranger thing, because the strangest thing is why anyone would buy this game.
I only say that because when you look at Munsters, look at how fast the LE prices dropped. You can get an LE now for $6500... that is a loss of 2500 plus.
I'm nearly positive if you wanted to sell your Jurassic Park LE RIGHT NOW you could get really close to what you paid. JJP Pirates LE you can get more than you paid. Stranger Things will be one of these games 6 months from now going for 2k loss. I'd say if you really wanted one let someone get really bored of it and then buy it and save 2k at least.

You have The Beatles in your collection. I’d say that you know a thing or two about shitty Stern games that tank in value- haha.

#3097 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wrong. JP2 premium was shown as well first then the pro.
It's super clear that this projector feature is not ready for primetime and if I was aprem or worse LE I would pull my money no question until I see this thing in action.
And I'm a huge fan but something is def up.

Remember the Stern promo video for Transformers in which Gomez was playing with a transforming toy, implying that it would be part of the playfield? Me too. It wouldn't be the first time that the end result isn't what is insinuated in a Stern promo video.

#3154 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Money grab? Defintely. Lazy? Nope. It’s a great pin.

The game blows. Worst Stern since Striker Extreme. Wrong game, wrong Beatles era. Best license of all time...wasted.

#3635 4 years ago

Brian Eddy games from 25 years ago have way more going on than Stranger Things. Williams/Bally hasn't made a pinball machine in 21 years now and they're still the king. Pretty sad.

#3654 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Everyone here plays a part in making pinball still exist. So - if someone is spending money on a machine, whether it’s an operator or homeowner, quality is expected.

What you said here IS the exact reason to stick to the older games for purchase. Why buy new when it is most assuredly a declining asset? Games used to be priced where you'd damn near break even when you sold. What a hobby!! Well, those days are over. Stern also made a quality product from 2003-2008 (Simpsons-BDK) with a lot to do on most games and quality toys and reliable board sets. Games were 4K all in at the most just 10 years ago. Now you're at $5700 for a stripped down, nothing game with a roll-the-dice playfield and failing node boards.

For $2.00, you can play 3 games of an LE in the wild, leave it, and never have to worry about it, just like in the days before people had to own them.

#3702 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cratering like this will never even out. Even after tens of thousands of plays.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That playfield makes you long for the days of plain old Stern dimpling. Hard to believe that it’s gotten even worse now. We need to up the stakes and stop calling them dimples as that is too mild a term. These look more like gashes with a more oblong shape.

#3755 4 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Pics are not mine, and were taken from Facebook, but it looks like other issues are popping up. Anyone else have this issue?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that a broken post or is a demodog excited to see you?

#3864 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Super hard to replace.
For now this is the flap that broke the camel's back!
Unless they make a Queen pin I am out

I remember when you would ponder between buying a W/B classic or a newer Stern and you would think, "Well, I love W/B, but they're getting old. Be ready for some problems. With a newer Stern, you can go years before encountering your first problem." And that was genuinely the case. If you had a SAM system game from '06-'08 in particular, they were an almost trouble-free, reliable board set, reliable mechanical components, a good playfield. Now, all three of those are a question mark in brand new Sterns.

#4337 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Don’t worry Kpg, the discussion will soon turn to Lonnie and code
It’s called “Stern derangement syndrome”

Kind of like that certain person who “derangement syndrome” is generally associated with, criticism does not equal derangement.

1 week later
#4948 4 years ago

Any way you slice it, I want one. I simply can't justify NIB pricing, so I'll be patient. But I will be getting one for sure.

#4966 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I really don't understand this mindset, I honestly don't. A must buy from a theme perspective, but the gameplay itself is meh?
How on Earth is the principal function a secondary consideration? There's plenty of Stranger Things merch you can buy elsewhere for a lot less money if you REALLY dig the theme, but spending $6k+ on something that happens to be branded Stranger Things - when you have no love for the actual gameplay - is just nuts.
Not making any kind of comment on whether the gameplay on this specific pin IS meh or not.

The answer is because this is pinball. The price will find its level in the used market. Buy it, play it, love it, leave it. And when you decide to leave it, you will sell it for close to what you paid. You're never "out" 6K on these things unless you cut it up with a chainsaw or something once you're done with it.

#5084 4 years ago

Nice blaming the victim here, everybody. How dare the guy buy a brand new pin and expect it to be perfect.

#5155 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

“What’s he saying, Robin?” - Howard Stern

Sounds like a certain someone's "nuclear speech".

#5487 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

The "Ball Lock" Post can be disabled in the service menu. Don't have to worry about it falling out if it never goes up. Sadly, this seems to really be the only fool-proof solution. Some people even prefer how the pro plays with the ball-stop disabled. Game is a little faster/smoother since you're not waiting for the post to go back down.

Every now and again, Stern seems to suddenly forget how to do the most basic things. In this game, it's a pop-up post. With Avengers, I believe, they forgot how to make a plunger hit the ball squarely. The resulting off-center hit didn't have enough gusto to get the ball out of the shooter lane.

#5503 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

The pressure fit design is a complete joke and whoever designed it should have a good talking too.

There probably was a talking to. And it went like this: "You designed that as cheaply as possible, right? Attaboy."

#5787 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The Metallica LE was the beginning of the end for “flipper profit”. Stern is now putting that money in their pockets. Right or wrong it is what it is.
We all remember people crawling all over themselves to buy those LEs to flip. GB was the last one that got flippers excited
And yet fast forward to today, Stern has record sales year over year for the past few years
JPLE is one of the best ever, ElviraLE is another great fun pin that will only get better thanks to Lyman and STHLE remains to be seen for me, great theme!

That's just it. Theme saves this game's ass. But, I don't want to buy a headache. So, if they come up with fixes to all that ails this game physically, I'm an owner.

#5892 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My only
Take away from the past 2 pages is that Iceman REALLY thinks “fake news” is a shut down burn. Come on bro get some fresh material!

Also never misses a chance to let you know how much he has and that anyone who doesn't have as much as him, but offers an argument that he doesn't agree with is simply jealous.

#5997 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I got no horse in this race, but I actually don’t like metal ramps.
I like clear plastic ramps where I can see through and behind them and follow the ball.
There’s a reason all the 90s WPC games used them.
Can you imaging playing a game like CFTBL if it didn’t have plastic ramps?
It would be unplayable.

Too be fair, CFTBL has ramps all over the place, including the center of the playfield, and its does have metal habitrails to return the ball. Conversely, Stranger Things has two typical Stern ramps that simply hug the edge of the playfield. And by the way, thanks for making me look at a CFTBL video since you brought up the good old days. What a loaded game!.

Let's face it, we are all Frogs in boiling water. If we fell asleep just 10 years ago and woke up today, we'd have no idea where the hell we were. With the prices what they are and the lack of quality and lack of features what they are, new pinball would die. But since they turned up the heat slowly, we all boiled to death.

#6070 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I don't know how you Aussies keep paying those prices on every release.

Not having to worry about or pay for healthcare leaves more disposable income.

#6226 4 years ago

The rage will die down and then you will accept it as the norm, just like with Stern's price increases on the games themselves. 8 years ago: Pros-4K, LE's $6500 shipped. Today: Pros: $5700, LE's $8800 shipped. The prices have outpaced inflation, while features and quality control have bitten the dust.

#6862 4 years ago

Just played about a dozen games on an LE with my son at Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor. The fact that we love the show probably made us enjoy it way more than if we weren't fans of the show. The El ball lock magnet didn't work worth a lick. One ball grand total worked the way that it should have when we shot it up there. The other times, the ball just passed through and counted as a lock. Or worse-case scenario, and this happened a lot, is that the ball would be rejected by the metal parts of the device back down the ramp and SDTM. Made me want to kick the shit out of the game, especially if I had a lot going on in the game at the time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=usandthem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.