IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (1 year ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (1 year ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (1 year ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (1 year ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (1 year ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (1 year ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (1 year ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (1 year ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (1 year ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 1 year ago

Upside Down is key to this game.

Curious to see what Eddy came up with.

#81 1 year ago

Lighting and music are so important for this title.

They gotta get that right!

And using the shaker when 11 uses her special powers, and maybe the whole playfield going dark.

1 week later
#256 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

I wonder if they throw this on the back burner/delay...and release Led Zeppelin QS redux as a kind of "sacrificial lamb" to fill the release void after Rick and Morty.
If they're smart, they would put on the brakes and hold back ST for a softer release environment.
Announce ST in Feb or even just before TPF and demo it there. If they make that smart marketing move, I bet they get more sales and you would even see some Rick & Morty spots go up for sale.
A lot of ST money just got thrown at Rick & Morty IMO.

Plenty of money in this hobby.

It will just mean more games go on second hand market.

Operators will buy ST as it should do well on location.

And Stern do want ST to be out before GnR!

When will JJP learn to do just one proper LE though?

#884 1 year ago

Wonder if this is the type of projector?

Struggling to visualise how this would work though

amazon.com link »

#1137 1 year ago

So this was the teaser video of the teaser video?

Incredible if true that people will have the game in their homes before Xmas!

#1145 1 year ago

Well, doubt I will be a buyer.

But, want to play this game more than any recent release I can think of.

Kudos for being so different.

And ambience is back!

Bring on the semi-darkness instead of playing with enough LED's to light up the sun

#1153 1 year ago

Decent breakdown of the game.

#1169 1 year ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

That's a lot of obstruction in the middle of the playfield. Almost a wall. Center of the Drive In screen flops down into a ramp. Could have made a Drive In Movie pinball out of this one. Yeah, it's a Strange Thing alright. I dunno. Heck I liked the wrestling ring in WWE. Don't know about the Drive In Movie screen though. Probably not.
Maybe the Pro model will be more conventional... I would like to know what the Pro looks like.

It is a wall.

Like the way the alphabet is projected onto it.

1_3YYW57e-PFZHF6TOcF_D9g (resized).jpg
#1616 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

If I were Stern, I’d have zero to do with the Kman, as he sort of compliments ST, but then blasts it over and over and he’s not even played it yet. He says if he buys it, he’ll have to play it under a black sheet to see the screens. How can he say something like this??? He’s not ever played the machine and has no idea whether it will be “washed out” as he states. No manufacturer of pinball is going to make a machine that has to be played only in total darkness to be seen properly. Can understand why Stern has nothing to do with him or any other Manufactering company as well, for that matter. Save erroneous statements, till after flipping the game. He’d be a great deal more credible that way.

He might be good at marketing but he didn't even know what a fan layout was, so take it all with a big pinch of entertainment salt

He thought a fan layout was something fans liked.

But, hey, I listen because it is entertaining and he does get early news on what the next games are.

#1715 1 year ago

Damn, this game pops!

Finally a really good powdercoat on the LE.

Need to see rules and how it plays but want this more than a JP now!

#1729 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Not to cause Trouble, as I do like the Theme, and new uniqueness of center,
but the layout reminds me a bit of Xmen.
I feel JP, will be far ahead on code, and game play strategy.
I think this will be more like GOG, and Super Fun....but very different from JP.
More Elvira with the Fan Layout and apparently limited upper playfield interaction....

JP probably more of a players game but this game is going to kill on location!

#1781 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

the LE looks stunning
[quoted image]

The LE really does look awesome!

Best one for a fair while - just on visuals.

#1807 1 year ago

Got to hand it to Stern.

Today is release day and someone already has one in their home.

No one else can produce like they do.

#1858 1 year ago

Stern have good assets for this game compared to many others in the past.

Custom Hooper call outs.

The iconic theme music.

Scenes from series 1 and 2.

This is way better than your average Stern.

#1971 1 year ago
Quoted from kermit24:

First game on location ? My Parents Basement in Atlanta Metro![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Quick video??!!

#2255 1 year ago

Eddy summed it up nicely on steam.

If you like TS, AFM and MM then chances are you will like this game.

If you like Stranger Things even better.

Despite what a few on here say, this will be a huge seller for Stern.

Just hope Lonnie finishes the code.

#2313 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is very typical of designers getting back in the game.
Nordman’s POTC was reminiscent of dr dude.
T3 was similar to t2.
RAZA / magic girl complete fucking messes like most jpop stuff.
It’s natural that these guys want to return in their comfort zone.

Exactly.

Imagine he he had tried something completely different and it ended up being a clunkfest.

Pinside - OMG Eddy has lost it!

The one thing no one has to worry about on this game is how it shoots.

#2368 1 year ago

So LE's already sold out?

500 was a good number, not too many, just right.

#2394 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody here is interested in tilt forums. And it’s for the best, trust me.

Not entirely true but I get what you are saying.

Sometimes I think I am on Pinstadiumside

Tilt is a great resource, as a game ultimately stands or falls on it's code.

But we are at least a year away from completion, so carry on with projector bulb discussions

#2516 1 year ago
Quoted from kpg:

Lol !!! Stern knows what they're doing with the theme that's for sure.
The thing about Stranger Things pinball is let's be totally honest:
1) Is it going to be a Top 10 pin? Absolutely not.
2) Is the playfield sparse and not nearly as cool as recent Keith Elwin game? F**k no.
3) Is the code going to hold a candle to anything Lyman can do? Hahahah c'mon
I think we all know that going into this.
But in all honesty, themes matter in pinball. My kids won't touch my existing machines except for Metallica, rarely anything else I've owned. Same with my wife.
But when they heard there's a Stranger Things pinball? They couldn't care less about Lonnie code or sparse playfield this and that.
It's.A.Stranger.Things.Pinball and they want it. Outside of us diehards looking for the next Top 10 pin, there's others who just find amusement with the fact they can relate to the sounds, music, and recognizable names of modes and crap like that. Makes it fun for those who aren't pinnerds like us and that's why I want it

This layout is perfect for this theme.

AFM is the only game my wife has ever played and enjoyed.

This theme will be massive outside of pinside and being similar to AFM will ensure this game sells a ton.

#2560 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s good you mentioned this. That why I think this code will be good for all skill levels. That first Total isolation is only 13 shots away and some cool modes to play along the way. For the better players they know after that there are 8 more modes and 2 more total isolation type modes to play. Not to mention the other 5-6 tasks you must complete to get to the final showdown.
But again, can they capture those same moments and humor that makes AFM so great? Not sure. It will be tough.

AFM is possibly one of or the greatest game of all time.

Yes, they need to get some funny stuff in this game.

Hopefully custom Hooper call outs include some funny stuff!

Game is awesome for newbies - kind of like AFM - what happens if I get the wall down?

#2669 1 year ago
Quoted from Cobray:

I don't get why they rushed this one out when they still have a ton of Jurassic Park Premiums (and it does appear to be a ton) on backorder. I guess those are definitive sales and they feel the need to push this out for quick impulse sales?
Looks like they will finally have the time to run a Tron Vault in a few months if this one does indeed flop (as it appears from the feedback here, not my personal guess).
I too was expecting sooooo much more from Eddy. Maybe next time?

I think people expect designers to come up with totally unique layouts that in reality are very difficult to implement in a way that they shoot smoothly.

Kudos Keith obviously.

And designers go back to what has worked for them and what does well commercially.

Look at Ritchie.

Everyone moaned and moaned when AC/DC came out as it was a 'rehashed T2'.

And yet, with great code, it was Stern's best selling game.

If this game is coded great, then it is going to be a massive seller. Probably will be anyway.

Code has reminded me of AS, GOTG a little bit, so hope there is not too much Lonnie cutting and pasting.

#2893 1 year ago

Lonnie still my main worry.

KISS took forever to get finished.

Now its a fantastic game but could do with tweaks.

Cities/Combos really good except you have to get 15/15 for some kind of award.

Not sure anyone could do this. Maybe Keith?

The 10 way combo is crazy hard and then to get another 14 combos?

Stream that someone who likes those crazy internet challenges

#2906 1 year ago
Quoted from snaroff:

City combos give you an award for rocking 5
As you say, it did take forever, but it finally got the love it deserves. The shots, rule set & MB's are top notch. Dots are "meh", but they don't really effect me much when I'm playing...[quoted image]

What is the award for getting 15/15??!!!

Can see a little bit of KISS/AS/GOTG in NST.

#2938 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Right on cue. Knew someone would say this. Of course nostalgia dollars are going to be spent on these old games. There are enough people that like them, but make these same non themed games today and watch how sales will not be so kind. That alone makes your statement ironic and hilarious. Most people won’t risk spending 9k on a no name game today, unless a pinhead and sales will be small. Just look at Black knight SOR for example.
Look no further than Dialed In a nonthemed game to see how bad sales would be. Dialed In is every bit as good and in many ways even better with a great deal more tech in it and certainly many times deeper code, but being an original theme has kept it from selling in the big time.
AFM, MM, MB and the like are pure pinhead nostalgia games. Ask anyone that is not a pinhead and they will not care about those titles, although if they saw them might put in a quarter or two, just as they would on Dialed In.
In this day and age, it is big name IP titles that sell, which is obviously why pinball makers choose them and almost never make original titles. Too risky indeed and not enough demand. Back in the 90s, the landscape was much different being a location only driven market.

One big difference.

AFM, MM and MB = fantastic iconic themes.

Dialed In. Er, not so much.

#2992 1 year ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Would like to hear your pinball story sometime. Not seeking contention over this apparently touchy subject. Enjoyed our discussion and appreciate your opinion. Always good to hear what others think and that’s what makes this forum so much fun. No insults intended on my part, simply think that old games are way over rated. And as Ricky Nelson’s penned in one of his most famous songs, “if singing oldies are all it’s about, I’d rather drive a truck.” Think pinball is somewhat that way too. Can’t we reach for better than 25 years ago and are doing better? Even the designers of 25 years ago think we can and are doing much better. Heard George Gomez remark that he can’t believe MB is still up there.
Kieth Elwins first 2 layouts, game rules and depth of code are simply superior in every way to the oldie goldies. If it isn’t why don’t we call it quits in pinball right now? The oldies are still fun, but imo, don’t hold a candle to modern day, Stern’s, JJP’s, AP’s and Spooky titles coming out now. It shows how out of whack Pinside top 100 ratings have become. It is nothing more than a popularity contest. Don’t you think the modern day games should all be ranked much higher? They are simply higher tech in every way than the old machines of long ago. Just about everything improves over time, or people would not be buying pinball any longer. CGC would become the only company in town, just copying machines made more than a quarter of a century ago. Seems like quite a boring uninspiring future, if that were really the case.
All the best to you and I hope we do meet sometime. Dinner on me.

Higher tech in every way?

Deeper code for sure.

LCD screen.

But higher tech as in innovation and mechs? No chance.

The biggest 'innovation' in the last decade has been the rulesets.

I think Maiden is fantastic, but it's Keith's design and code that make the big epic. Not higher tech.

#3103 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

With the FOMO behind Rick and Morty, I think Stern rushed the release of Stranger Things...feeling their dominance was threatened. This may have been a huge misstep.

Wonder if it was purely released to catch the Xmas feel good factor?

All those families who like and watch Stranger Things together.

'Hey kids would you like a Stranger Things pinball? '

As opposed to January.

'Hey kids, we spent too much over Xmas'!

#3175 1 year ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Assuming this was tilt... Same for me... No one, including very skilled players, could make the shot at any reliable %.
As such this isn't a play better or aim better thing. It is a design or setup flaw (which goes back to design since many routed games may omit proper setup).

How can Stern make a bash toy that you can't bash?

Wonder if they may make adjustments before sending anymore out?

#3186 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Just played the pro. Detailed review when I get back but I'll just say there are a lot of trolls around here.
Game is solid.

Happens every release!

Remember when everyone said Metallica was a bit meh?

Then the crank it up modes arrived and suddenly all was well in the world

#3715 1 year ago

It is strange how different these playfields are.

My Maiden pro did not and still does not have a single dimple.

Very thick clear coat and a tiny bit of pooling on a couple of posts.

But strange to have no dimples at all.

#3720 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You’ll see dimples on any game at the right angle and light. Craters are deep and visible always. There’s something different about them compared to the norm.
That being said, I just ran bright light over my STTNG & looked at every angle. Not one dimple at all...and that’s a game with 2 cannons and a flying lockout.

I have had other QC issues with my Maiden but there really are no dimples and never have been.

IMG_6280 (resized).jpg
#3723 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s a crapshoot!!!
Unfortunately with Stern, it always has been, even in the pre-crater days. Odds are you’d get a playfield with planking, colors were wrong, or the color alignment would be off. I’ve seen soooooo many variations of LOTR playfields. One had a full green Gollum on it!!! Some are rich looking. Some are washed out. Mine has nice colors, but the red alignments seems slightly off, so Frodo looks high lol.[quoted image]

Yeah, it's kind of like a lottery when you open the box.

Please let it be a good one!!

#3745 1 year ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That’s awesome. That shows it can be done, and craters shouldn’t be normalized as inevitable. Wonder if Stern is sourcing playfields from different places? Or could it be cure time? Was your Maiden from launch or did you buy later?

Mid 2018 I think.

I got unlucky with a crappy cabinet though

It's like lucky dip

#3829 1 year ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Even the ramp flaps are dimpling on new Stern’s. :/[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow, hope that is a one off as never seen that before.

#3857 1 year ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I begin to see a flapdimpling trend...

People complaining about playfield dimples is nothing new.

Ramp flap dimples? I don't remember anyone talking about this in last 10 or so years.

Does it matter?

Well, from the pics, it looks pretty bad.

It would certainly bug me on a new game.

At least no one can come out and say it's normal!

#3860 1 year ago
Quoted from RA77:

Ramp flaps are not an easy component to replace
C'mon Stern, This must have been picked up during testing ?/?
Send the junk hardware back to China !
Very, Very disappointing to see stuff like this [quoted image]

Super hard to replace.

For now this is the flap that broke the camel's back!

Unless they make a Queen pin I am out

#3871 1 year ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am interested in trying out those Pinball Universe plastic protectors that Mezel Mods is offering. When you spend $5500+ on a machine you want to try and protect that shooter lane from Stern's overpowered eject mech. I have been using mylar but I am tired of changing it out, etc. Looking for something more permanent? Can someone who has used these protectors chime in. Do they work well?, Any problems with plunging balls with them? Are they all custom made depending on machine-seems like some are sold out? Is there a universal one that will work? I am very interested in spending $28 to protect my shooter lane on a NIB purchase.
https://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-shooter-lane-protector?variant=18133347565665

Got one on my Maiden.

No issues, and zero wear.

#3982 1 year ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Agree non issue. If they get a little dirty after a butt load of plays wipe clean with Pinguard in 5 seconds. This thread is nearly unbearable.

Pinball and OCD go together like bread and butter.

#4464 1 year ago

Why is it so hard for people to believe that dimpling is normal?

Equally why is it so hard for people to believe that some playfields were made out out superior hard wood and do dimple way less than cheap junk?

Virtually everything is less well made than it used to be, so why would pinball be any different?

#4563 1 year ago

OMG I don't know what to say anymore.

#4840 1 year ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Like I would ever own this 3rd rate garbage...
Location play only with new Stern.
I must've been just mistaken on the lock system, thought it was every time. Yes 5 shots is fine/easy.

Why are you even on this thread?

To make yourself miserable?

Nice job.

3 weeks later
#6107 1 year ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

JP is amazing and so is Elvira 3 also. This Elvira game will be the best of the three Elvira games easily. JP is probably the better game but I personally would opt for Elvira i think because its a dream theme that has lots of cool features and it also has Lyman on code so its going to end up a masterpiece. Both games are HUGE winners!

Have Stern taken care of your issues yet?

Elvira is a ton of fun to play.

#6192 1 year ago

Stern just keep pushing how far they can go, until they get enough push back to retreat.

They will have a number in mind of how many kits they need to sell to call this move a success.

If it is a success, well, guess the rest.

#6468 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Fickle FOMO's will be right back at it with chants of "take my money now" on the next title. LOL
And the title after the that....and the one after that.....

And Stern know this, right from the days of GB ghosted playfields and 'no one was going to buy nib again'.

Wait until Led Zeppelin LE is released.

Sold out on day 1 however it gets marketed.

#6506 1 year ago

Does seem that with internet connectivity in Turtles that a subscription model is coming.

That is a definite pass as far as I am concerned.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shapeshifter.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside