IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Uh, can we NOT give Ghostbusters to Stern again, please?[quoted image]

Yeah, I mean Ghostbusters is only one of Stern's most loaded, well coded, and best selling pins to date. We are much better off with games that are emptier, cost $7800+ yet come with basic plastic ramps with no metal habitrails (looking at you Elvira), have less toys / features, lack full licensed assets, and have toppers with minimal code...

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Plastic ramps so much better.

Yes, they return the ball to the flippers .01 seconds faster! Stern must love that one. It's cheaper to put 100% plastic ramps in a game then it is to add metal ones and or ramps that are plastic with metal habitrails.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I've always preferred them from back in the 80s/90s, just the way I feel not a deep look into cost analysis.

I hear ya there. I don't mind them, just more frustrated with today's crazy high NIB prices and what is being put in them (or lack of).

#161 4 years ago

Full licensed assets are a must for a Stranger Things Pin meaning show music, actor audio + video, and custom callouts by one or more of the shows actors. Stern cannot pull a Walking Dead or Guardians with this one. A geneic Stranger Things pin won't work.

Also, I would love to see some D&D elements implemented into the games ruleset that creates a quest like feel for players. A Stranger Things pin needs a LOTR, Hobbit, Star Wars, style ruleset that works the playfield in interesting ways to go through the themes story rather then just hitting ramps and orbits in generic points based modes.

#222 4 years ago

If there's concerns about Stranger Things it makes me wonder if its licensing related? Could be another licensed themed pin with video assets but no actor audio assets, or no original actor audio and lackluster third party callouts.

#230 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

JP has turned out to be one of the best pins ever! With just Nedry

Yeah, I think that works for JP as the draw ends up being the dinosaurs. A Stranger Things pin won't have something like that to fall back on. For Stranger Things actor audio and actor video are a must as it's the characters that have helped make the theme so popular. If the game featues TWD type third party callouts and or silent video clips I think it will push a lot of people away.

#396 4 years ago
Quoted from dirtbag66:

[quoted image]

Lots of drops? Maybe theres 11 drops in the game and when hit in a specific order it starts an Eleven multiball mode with 11 balls. Lol. List looks good so far.

Now we just need Stern to nail the license. Hopefully they have licensed actor audio, video, and some licensed music across all 3 seasons.

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

Nothing a "little Cleland mod" cannot solve....

I appreciate the Cleland audio mods but at these prices more licensed assets should be expected in games. Stern did a great job with Ghostbusters licensing, probably their best effort with licensed assets since Lord of the Rings in my opinion.

Modifying audio is a nice option that I'm glad we have but it cannot replace the intent and choreography a sound designer and programmer creates using licensed assets while working on the project.

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Also please don't fuck up the art![quoted image]

Artwork like that and similar ones posted here would look great on a mirrored backglass!

#487 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think it would be badass to have this sign somewhere in the game.[quoted image]

Even just that during part of the attract mode would be cool.

#490 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

it would be impossible for the backglass to look bad if it's one of those posters. I just hope stern doesn't try to be too cute with it.

Yeah. Let's hope it doesn't have the studio name plastered in huge font all over the place like TWD.

#512 4 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

Apparently the call is regarding a new OS.
No Stranger Things yet I'm afraid...

Stern may be saving a reveal for Stranger Things around or at CES 2020.

#598 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

This game is gonna hinge on how well that projector effect is pulled off. In different lighting situations, etc. I don't have much confidence but we'll see.

If there's one thing that bugs me about Stern's premium / LE features its that there isn't much code for them. A vast majority of Stern premium / LE toys just do one or two things and that's it. Unfortunately Stern doesn't go crazy coding the hell out of premium / LE features as they can't (or likely don't want to) have the code differ that much from pro code. This is the biggest downside to offering multiple models that feature different interactive items on the playfield.

#652 4 years ago

I was thinking about how a Stranger Things pin likely won't have season 4 content in it and I'm perfectly fine with that. Each of the first 3 seasons have a big enemy to fight. By the time the 3rd season ends I felt that the show could have ended. This is great for the pin as a wizard mode could surround beating The Demogorgon from season 1, another wizard mode for beating The Mind Flayer from season 2, and a super wizard mode for beating The Mind Flayer that appears in monster form from season 3.

#713 4 years ago

Game sounds loaded! Over 40 modes?! I may be in for an LE on this one depending on how it turns out. Soundd like Stern is partially targeting home buyers with this one with the high mode count. That's just the type of game I want

#717 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Hopefully they aren't cookie cutter bland like JJPOTC modes. At a certain point, more modes are a minus. Give me five good ones like Maiden.

5 modes is no where near enough for me to drop $6k - $10k on a game today. A game needs to have at least or around a dozen objective based modes + multiple wizard modes that work the entire playfield to drop that type of cash. Hobbit is a good example of a game with an incredibly deep objective based ruleset that works the entire playfield in unique ways.

JJP pirates has 125 chapter modes but yes they all play nearly identical (hit lit character shots). However, it's the character feature in that game that ends up putting a unique twist on how the chapter modes are scored / played. Also, all mulitballs and wizard modes in JJP Pirates are unique. Chapter mode scoring also plays heavily into how much you can score in multiballs and wizard modes.

#725 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Holy shit! if this is true, Charlie missed a huge bullet by revealing first and locking in those 750 games.

I'm waiting for a "Should I cancel Rick and Morty for Stranger Things" thread.

#729 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

if you guys are smart you will all hide your excitement and stop with the take my money crap or Gary will see this and increase the price on us AGAIN.

LOL. That gave me a good laugh. Probably true.

Gary right now

2539433-2642583531-24674.gif2539433-2642583531-24674.gif

#731 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

That's the thing, they can't cancel.....without losing a grand. That's the price of FOMO

Damn, didn't know that.

#752 4 years ago

Who from the show would do a good job with custom callouts?

#826 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm really excited about this game because it's an awesome theme but man is it realistically going to be able to live up to JP2? Unfortunately I highly doubt it.

Well if it plays just as well, has as many or more toys, has licensed audio versus third party voice actors, and has at least twice the number of modes as being reported then I say theres a good chance of it actually being better then JP.

#830 4 years ago

Well, here we go again with the playfield lottery. This is from a new JP with 15 plays...with the updated artwork that has no artwork around posts. Reports of this issue still occuring, and Stern sending out less populated playfields, makes me nervous to preorder a Stranger Things LE.

f13f074a7ef1acc36aa72c9ed13a6b7142a4b3a6 (resized).jpgf13f074a7ef1acc36aa72c9ed13a6b7142a4b3a6 (resized).jpg

#841 4 years ago
Quoted from wlf_:

Is that a pro? It seemed they fixed the issues for the premiums, and on Elvira, etc.
If the build date was from when there were issues, I dont see what you're getting at? You might be playing the "playfield lottery" getting a NIB JP sitting around in musty warehouses...
there weren't issues on Elvira, were there? why suggest this indicates anything for Stranger Things?

This issue isn't acceptable on a $6k pro either. The JP with the chipping is from a newer build as it has the no artwork area around the post near the upper right flipper. The below pic is of the original playfield that has artwork around the same post. I'm not sure either if Stern is putting higher quality versions of playfields on premium / LE models.

I just don't want to deal with this issue on a $9k purchase. It seemed like this issue was resolved but apparently its still possible even on games that don't feature artwork around posts.

Screenshot_20191219-181950_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191219-181950_Chrome (resized).jpg

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Panzer you ain't buying no damn Stranget Things game anyway, who do you think you are fooling??? Lmao..take that shit to the Jurassic Park thread. I find it hilarious how you never point out any JJP games with defects..I swear to God sometimes I wonder if you arent Jack himself. What a fanboy you are!

Who-Dey, you may want to look in the mirror and ask yourself who the fanboy is if a comment about a playfield issue still occurring bothers you so much.

I emailed two distributors today about getting on a list for a Stranger Things LE. I'm sorry I even remotely criticized your precious Stern, how dare I question anything on a $9k purchase. I should shut up, be a good customer, and hand them my $9k no questions asked. I've purchased several NIB Stern pins over the years, a Ghostbusters premium most recently, so I'm not taking your crap

I never point out JJP games with defects? I made this post months ago in one of the playfield issue threads.

ee9a8513c331252785865569198d08f7ddfed676 (resized).jpgee9a8513c331252785865569198d08f7ddfed676 (resized).jpg

Another example where I criticized JJP on how they handled the playfield issues and complemented Stern on how well they handled the Ghostbuster playfield issues.

bf3cbbc331594dda3677df3f438841cd16455b55 (resized).jpgbf3cbbc331594dda3677df3f438841cd16455b55 (resized).jpg

Quoted from SilverBallz:

He pretends to be interested and onboard just so he can come right back and criticize everything and give backhanded compliments. and it all gets compared to JJP.

Right, please read above. I've purchased multiple NIB Stern pins, have complimented them numerous times (as well as have been critical), and have been critical of JJP as well. Don't think for a second I think the similar playfield issues on JJP games are acceptable as they are not which I've stated multiple times in other threads.

Hey remember the thread I made questioning JJP quality control months before the Pirates / Wonka playfield issues were being reported? No you don't, because you repeatedly make stuff up, and cherry pick comments.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-jjp-quality-control-inconsistent-

#858 4 years ago

Lol, I just don't like people making up lies about things I've posted to the point of harassment. It's not cool.

As I said I did email two distributors today about getting on a list for a Stranger Things LE. Everything I've read about Stranger Things in the TWIP article sounds exciting and like the type of game I gravitate to. I know Who-Dey will say I'm a JJP fanboy but there's reason I haven't purchased a Wonka after purchasing all prior JJP pins. I don't think there's a lot toy wise on the game, I'm not a fan of the way the assets have been used, and I don't like that JJP has continued to release updates for the game while Pirates remains on .99 code after 2 years.

Stern has stepped it up with several of their games, most recently Jurassic Park. I was ready to place an order for a JP premium after playing one on location but now want to wait and see how Stranger Things turns out. I also like how Stern has lowered their most recent LE counts. 500 is still high but better then 750, or JJP's insane LE counts. Some sense of rarity is still retained at 500 games.

#860 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Panzer if I was harassing you, you would know it trust me because I'd be in Michigan looking thru your window with my Jason mask on holding a machete. I'm just messing with you though because you do this with every game that comes out and you ARE a JJP fanboy I dont care what you say lol.
I actually am harassing you but it's in playful manner so just lighten up and quit bashing Stern. Everyone here knows that you're in love with Jack so stop trying to hide it!
All kidding aside though there's no guarantee that you are going to get a good playfield unfortunately. I'm not comfortable buying right this minute either. Gotta see how I get taken care of on my games first but I may very well want a Stranger Things game myself.

I'm not talking to you anymore Who-Dey, you made my blood pressure go up! It's hard to tell emotion through text, sorry I took what ya said as you being an asshole to me lol. Hope Stern takes care of ya and makes things right.

#889 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I'm not sure if stern can pull off full blown projector mapping. To do so, it'd need multiple projectors to eliminate shadows and some major scanning and software to handle the mapping. I'd expect it's just a projected image.

I suppose the projector could move side to side but I doubt it. The ramps that uses the projector feature may be close to the center of the playfield where the rumored movie screen is which would allow one projector to be used. The drop targets and stand up targets that can have images projected onto them are likely the ones in front of the center Hawkins lab toy.

"Movie projector on Premium/LE: a first in pinball, a movie projector under the bottom art (apron it sounds like!) – you can’t see it but it is projecting out onto the playfield. There is a screen on the front of Hawkins lab that opens up as a movie screen. The projector also projects onto other surfaces in the game including ramps and drop targets and stand up targets. When the game is not on, these surfaces for the screens will be white."

#1281 4 years ago

Trailer looks good! The projector feature looks cool but as others have said how well will it look like in a lighted room? The video Stern posted was shot in a very dark room and even then the image quality from the projector doesn't look that vibrant or bright. I'm personally not a fan of playing pinball with the lights off. Looking forward to the full reveal.

Did anyone catch who was doing callouts? Sounds like maybe you are playing as Jim Hopper? I thought I heard a David Harbour sound-a-like in there.

#1290 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you can’t tell the difference what does it matter.

People will be able to tell. Nothing will sound as good as the actual actor who played the part. There are some exceptions though where it seems like the actor is just mailing it in with the callout work. The Karl Urban provided callouts for Star Trek come to mind as only being ok. Ernie Hudson seemed really into the work he did for Ghostbusters callouts as did Kevin McNally for Pirates.

Some voices are harder to impersonate then others. The ones provided for Guardians? Terrible. Avengers? Terrible. Stern JP is much better but its still easy to tell the callouts for several of the characters are not coming from the first film. The games that are filled with only 3rd party actor audio are the ones that suffer that most in my opinion. The huge plus with Stranger Things is that it will have licensed actor video with actor audio from the show for many (maybe all?) characters.

#1315 4 years ago

Kaneda mentioned that the pro version doesn't have the projector feature. If that's the case the video is likely showing the premium as the plaque on it is colorized, Stern LE plaques are laser etched on metal.

Pic showing colorized game plaque

Capture1 (resized).JPGCapture1 (resized).JPG

Same back glass shown here
Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

Same backglass again with projector feature
Capture3 (resized).JPGCapture3 (resized).JPG

#1332 4 years ago

I think the pro version of Stranger Things is going to be really popular. The projector feature at first glance appears washed out and dim even in the dark video Stern filmed. Whatever video being projected onto the mini movie screen may play on the main LCD on the pro. Is the projector feature, backboard magnet (doesn't appear to be a big effect), and the moving demogorgon worth $2k more over the pro? That's tough. Also, 100% plastic ramps are on the premium / LE which is disappointing in my opinion considering the price of those models. A pro Stranger Things for around $6k with the moving ramp, drop targets, and the same 40+ modes as the premium / LE version sounds pretty good.

#1348 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The ramps need to be clear or wireform type like on afm... that way you can see through them and see the playfield and the ball better and more of what's going on. Nothing wrong with plastic ramps as they have been used forever and hold up pretty well overall.

I don't mind the initial plastic ramp area, it's the long plastic returns that end up looking cheap. Metal habitrails should be a given at these prices.

#1361 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Which is packed more. Rick and Morty or Stranger Things?

Stranger Things easily. Moving ramp, multiple drop targets with shot behind it, magnet backboard toy, large interactive toy / ball lock, projection toy.

Rick and Morty looks cool but the main toy is a plastic space ship on a spring.

#1374 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Nobody concerned with the clear coat issues? I thought there was still some problematic playfields popping up.
Also, aren’t recent customers with bad playfields having to fight to get an unpopulated playfield? Other customers repor they are being ghosted with playfield warranty requests?

You wouldn't know it by some of the replies here where people are getting attacked just for questioning Stern playfield quality.

#1397 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Clearly they're using video mapping technology, which honestly isn't very hard to do. However they have to be using a very affordable video projector, you need low lighting and I'm promise you those projectors won't last long. Those would be a short throw type and I use them in attractions we build, they burn out quickly. It will be interesting to see how they're doing that and if it will last long.
In a barcade where they're turned on all the time I DO NOT KNOW how long it will be before you replace that part.
I've got a bunch of short throw FX in attractions I build and you replace them sometimes every year.
I like the ambition of trying video mapping tech in a pinball. That is what I would call going for it! Kudos to Stern. Now lets see if it works in a bright room or how long they last in barcades.

Great information, thanks for sharing! It sounds like Stranger Things is likely using a pico / micro LED projector that doesn't use a bulb? From what I've read those last 15,000 - 30,000 hours which is along the same lifespan as a TV.

#1521 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The light bulb thing is SO dumb. The concern about forcing folks to play the game in the dark is something I can understand.
I usually play with lights low but sometimes I don't want to (feel like I'm going to fall asleep and I like seeing all the art) so not being able to play this game with full lights on with the prem and le could bother some

I'm with ya there. When I have friends and or family over I like having the lights on in the game room. It's more social with the lights on and people can easily see as they are coming and going from the basement. I can't even remember a time while at a barcade or arcade where the lights are off. Maybe having the lights off at an arcade was common in the 70's and 80's but not anymore.

The projector feature as a concept sounds nice but even in a dark room the colors look washed out and not very vibrant. It's an innovative feature but it just may not look very good.

#1534 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Why all this talk about playing in the dark when absolutely no one here has ever played the game yet? We have no idea how well it does or doesn’t light up PF screen wise while playing in the light? Of course Stern has thought all these scenarios through and solved the issue before releasing the game. Sure it is shown being played in the dark, but as with almost all their promo videos; the games are being played in the dark in order to highlight the game only.
When actually standing over the machine, would think there will be no issues seeing the PF projected screens even in a lighted room, but we will see when we actually are able to play it. Video taken of projected video screens, never translate well through a video camera lens and always appear washed out to some degree. Video taken of a CRT screen show patterns rolling up the screen, that human eyes don’t detect, for example.

Hope you are right as this doesn't look good. Looks washed out and dull if I'm being honest with myself. To be fair video filmed of a Stern or JJP LCD doesn't look as good as it does in person so the vibrancy and overall effect of the projector toy may look much better in person.

#1550 4 years ago

MSRP pricing for JP is $9k LE, $7600 LE, $6k pro. Is Stranger Things supposed to be $200 more per model?

#1607 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Pico Projectors don't use bulbs. They use a big LED like you see in LED flashlights, etc. The stats say things like 20k hours.. but LEDs do not age like a bulb, they fade over time (All those people with the cheap generation of Comet LEDs can attest to). So this makes the device a consumable. Once the LED fades... the device is useless.
The challenge will be how the projector is mounted and how much space is available. These projectors come in all kinds of different sizes and being the cheap china stuff change all the time. Plus you need to match up the lens setup (throw distance) to something at least comparable.. so you get the canvas size you want and ability to focus at that distance.
It's funny how people discount this.. as if its like changing lights in a game... yet people lost their #$%@# when Stern required you to buy $300 node boards..

Yeah, a replacement pico / mini projector for the game will likely be cheaper then a replacement node board.

#1670 4 years ago

The rules card makes it sound like battling each of the main monsters across the first 3 seasons is not part of the game? Nothing about fighting either version of the Mind Flayer from season 2 and 3? The main objective for the game seems to be about progressing through the events of season 1.

I like how there's a mini wizard mode for beating sets of chapters! It appears that there are 12 main chapter modes.

#1672 4 years ago
Quoted from wfumed2:

+1 Wish it were wireform instead of plastic ramps on the LE

Agree. 100% plastic ramps are not acceptable on a the premium / LE considering the price. Plastic entrances on the ramps are fine but there should at least be metal habitrails for the ball returns.

#1677 4 years ago

From IGN article regarding what show content is in the game. Bummer...the third season is probably the best so far. Now it makes sense why there's no Mind Flayer monster related modes.

"Yes, but only from seasons 1 and 2"

#1681 4 years ago

Pro looks very nice! $6k is still a lot but I'm just not seeing $2500 - $3500 in extras to justify a premium or LE. The projector feature likely won't have a ton of variety to it, no Stern premium / LE features do as the code cannot change that much across versions. The pro artwork on the 3 pieces in front of the main toy and being able to see artwork through the ramp entrances also looks more appealing in my opinion then the premium / LE.

StrangerThings-Pro-Playfield-Closed-720x1205 (resized).jpgStrangerThings-Pro-Playfield-Closed-720x1205 (resized).jpg

#1732 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Per Kman feature matrix for LE[quoted image]

Thanks! Based on that information it sounds like the game has a total of 20 unique modes across the chapter modes, multiballs, mini wizard modes, and the super wizard mode (not including hurry ups).

#1900 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Projector should make theme immersion awesome as you progress through the game and different modes you are in. Scenes change all over the PF to bring you into the theme throughout. "projector is so cool is doesn't matter when its off". LED projector

It will be interesting to see how much the projector features changes during modes. Stern has typically added minimal code for premium / LE features. If the same rotating arcade sign and "W.I.L.L" images are constantly displayed through the game I can see it getting old quick. Hopefully there's unique projected animations based on mode.

#1921 4 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

What's the opinion of the plastic return ramps? Better light effects than a wire form? Does look a lot like an AFM setup. Can't wait to play the premium!

Making the ramps and returns all plastic is a cost cutting move. The white area for the projector feature could still exist on the plastic ramp itself and then a metal habitrail for the ball return would follow it. The plastic ramp / metal habit rail setup has been done on a number of games including AFM, MM, and STTNG.

Both of the return areas should be a metal habitrail on the premium / LE considering the price and another price increase. There's no excuse but it is what it is.

Untitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#1941 4 years ago
Quoted from Iwasthebruce:

So...lemme get this straight...the 2 coolest features, the magnetic ball lock and the projector are only on the prem/le? Why even make the pro version?

I think the main feature is still the drop targets, moving ramp, and the bash toy. The pro still has all 3 of those. The projector toy isn't a physical feature and may very well only have minimal code applied to it (hope it does have unique animations per mode). Think of the Ecto Goggles toy from Ghostbusters. Awesome toy! How many animations does it have? Not many. That's typically the story with premium / LE features, there's just not a lot of code created for them.

#1962 4 years ago

New Carl Hardy impressions video is up, good watch. "Pro is the way to go".

#1998 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

That Pro translight looks hideous!
-Someone will need to make a cool alternative one

I'm not sure what translite looks worse, GOT Pro or Stranger Things Pro? Hoping it looks better in person. I can't see the pro translite aging well and it's only going to look more odd with the actors getting older.

#2036 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am more concerned with ghosting inserts,etc. With how many inserts are on this game-if they start ghosting or raising Stern will have their hands full.
Holy inserts Batman!

Who wants to be one of the first to spend $9k on a Stranger Things LE and report if there are any playfield issues?!

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

#2067 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Looks super boring. Kinda surprised.

It's great that Stern announced, and shipped a game in the same day but does any of that matter when the code looks like an alpha release? Might as well wait until around CES and have the code further along. After watching that quick video all I could think is how much better Jurassic Park looks with its custom animations and lack of movie assets.

#2093 4 years ago

Jack's stream is tonight at 8pm est?

#2105 4 years ago

Best part about the stream so far is seeing how happy Brian Eddy is to be back designing pinball machines! Glad he's back.

#2114 4 years ago

Two things that are missing in my opinion are the D&D and comedy elements from the show. Stranger Things is a dark show at times but it's also filled with a lot of comedy. Without those in the game its coming across as a generic mode based game with Stranger Things video clips. Hopefully this changes as the code develops with much more choreography for modes being added. Would also be nice to have some extra hook for progressing through modes such as how LOTR has Gift of the Elves, ST medals, Dialed In SIM cards, etc. Just not feeling it so far.

#2328 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

We can wait another 5 years or so for that poll! #nottiredofwinningyet
I just bought a Super Chexx hockey game and SRTLE for my xmas presents. Told my wife and kids, this what you got for me. LOL

Same, hoping the good times keep rolling for much longer!

#2375 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah just like a rick and morty cultist to bring up the projector. Again. For the 500th time.
The projector will be fine goddammit! It’s not rocket science! It’s gonna be super fucking cool and everybody knows it.
If spooky did the projector it would have brilliant innovation. Kind of like how their space ship on a spring is perfectly cool and when stern does it on a game that costs $2,000 less it’s a war crime!

It's not a ship on a spring sir its an interactive ship!

#2483 4 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Why TF does stern keep going with there plastic ramps!?! Is it really that much more of a price hike to put those in?? If that’s the case then find a cheap license and go all in on everything else. You could justify that kind of money if they just blew it out of the park with what the designers really want the games to be.. I can’t imagine these legend designers being OK with these thin games.

I'm with ya. I refuse to buy a game at these astronomical prices that have plastic ramps with plastic ball returns. I understand making the ramp entrance and first 1/3 of it plastic (common) but not the entire ramp. Metal habit rails could have been used on Stranger Things premium / LE and still preserved the projector feature. This is simply yet another cost cutting move.

The first thing my cousin (a fellow pinball fan) said to me tonight at a Christmas party about Stranger Things is why in the hell did Stern put plastic ramps on the game.

#2511 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

..... well that's a hot take. There is no fucking way this will have better code than AFM.

I'm not sure where the 40+ mode count is coming from. Maybe all of the hurry up modes are increasing the mode count. From what I'Ve seen and read Stranger Things has around 20 main modes between chapter modes, multiballs, and wizard modes. That's more then AFM but the choreography in Stranger Thing modes is currently significantly worse. The code is still very early so I'm sure a lot of mode choreography and polish is coming.

#2697 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

For those that are disappointed so far. What were some of the things physically that you’d wish they had done?
Lower or upper playfield would’ve been bad for this imo
Magnets all over the main playfield is a bad idea too. See TWD. Just make things more frustrating than cool.
I’m not a very imaginative person, so I struggle with ideas in this regard.

Multiple magnets under the center of the playfield (Dialed In / Addams Family style) would have been perfect considering 11's powers. The magnets could have been used in a number of chapter modes and multiballs where 11 uses her powers. This would also break up the void in the middle of the playfield and overall add a lot more excitement to the game.

#2717 4 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I've seen a lot of good ideas thrown out in this thread with magna flippers, ball save magna and even a BH style reversed lower playfield for the upside down [a reverse exact playfield of Munsters would have been great].
Having played the game, I wonder why Stern didn't consider any of this? The game is so vanilla.
I don't think a projector will make any difference. Next.

Cost. The design team has to stick within a budget set by management. Let's say adding 3 magnets adds $50 in parts, wiring, and additional coding per game. Adding metal ball returns adds another $50. That's $100 more per game. How is Stern supposed to justify that? By raising the price of games? Well, they did and still included very little which shows that Stern is often a company driven solely by profit rather then passion.

I don't doubt Stranger Things will be fun. Once the code is completed I'm sure it will be a fun game. Is it $6k - $9k fun? I don't see it. Comparing Stranger Things to Jurassic Park makes me question if both games had the same budget as JP seems to have more in it.

#2848 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s what I’m thinking. Definitely not clear on the surface how they plan to pack 40 plus modes in the game. Doesn’t seem like that was a Lonnie idea if true.

It looks like the actual number of modes is closer to 20 between the 12 chapter modes, multiballs, and wizard modes. Stern may be increasing that count with hurry ups, and super modes (pops, ramps, orbits) which are not as substantial as main modes.

At least a few of the modes in Sterns feature matrix are being counted twice. 20 main modes will still make for a very deep game, especially with a wizard mode being awarded for completing sets of the chapter modes.

#2866 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Every mode has different shots and orders of shots to hit. Which ones specifically feel the same?
What about the modes on LOTR make it feel like a journey? I don’t know that game well. I just hit lit shots in the modes and it completes them.
To me I think the callouts of LOTR are what make LOTR special. That can be done with this game too, just need to add them.

The main chapter LOTR modes are really well done thanks to great callouts, unique music, and DMD animations that change as shots are made. I think some of the charm that DMD animations offer are lost with video clips on today's games. LOTR also has the Gift of the Elves feature which is a reward system for completing modes and is represented by its own set of inserts on the playfield. Very few games have implemented a similar hook, next closest I can think of is Dialed In with the SIM card reward feature. The Gift of the Elves reward feature makes for some very addictive gameplay as it creates another layer of depth.

Finally, Keith Johnson layered LOTR multiballs with unique DMD animations, music, and most importantly multiple stages. A multiball like Fellowship of the Ring with several stages is far more fun to play then just hitting random shots with "jackpot" callouts repeating over and over. That's the issue with a mode like Telekinesis Multiball in Stranger Things, it's currently just static images of 11 with random jackpot callouts repeating. Overall Keith Johnson was able to tell the Lord of the Rings theme extremely well through his code work. Many of today's modern games only focus on hitting the same shots over and over again to reward points versus telling a themes story with unique animations, multiple stages, and shots that have the player working the playfield in interesting ways. It all comes down to mode choreography and to do it well takes a lot of time.

#2868 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

You’re guessing again as usual. Here is the actual posting in “This Week In Pinball” by none other than Jeff the editor:
“Rules
They have not finalized how many MB will be in the game, at least 5, maybe 6. There are over 40 modes – close to 50 – as they are trying to keep it interesting for a long time for those that purchase for their home. The wizard modes are “very deep” into it, and there are lots of goals along the way.”
So quit guessing and read, “close to 50 modes”.

I'm not guessing, I'm going off of the feature matrix from Stern. There's 12 unique chapter modes, 5 Demogorgon battles, 5 multiballs, and 3 wizard modes. That comes across as 25 modes but several of the modes are being counted twice. For example Final Showdown is being counted twice as it appears as a wizard mode and as a multiball. Also, Demogorgon Battle Multiball is 1 of the 5 Demogoron Battle modes. If there were double the number of these types of modes wouldn't Stern list them? Some of the others are likely coming from hurry ups and super "modes" which are quick basic modes unlike the substantial modes below. 25 main modes is still a lot!

c8da193356ecbb4b72272fabb239e8b644657da7 (resized).jpegc8da193356ecbb4b72272fabb239e8b644657da7 (resized).jpeg

#3009 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Billy was great in season 3, such a shame Stern limited this to season 1 and 2 especially since season 2 was by far the weakest. Season 3 had a nice ending/closure to it other than that cliffhanger involving H.......

Yeah that's a bummer, I think season 3 is the best season so far. Between no season 3 content, the plastic ramps, and little additional mechanical features on the premium / LE model I've cancelled my LE preorder. I was fine with the game not including season 4 content down the road as seasons 1-3 feel like a complete story. However, the lack of season 3 content makes the theme feel partially implemented in my opinion. I'm still going to keep an eye on a pro in the future as I can see it being a very deep game if and when the code is properly completed. $5800 or so (maybe $5k HUO) for a well coded Stranger Things pro pin with David Harbour callouts and a ton of modes doesn't sound too bad.

As far as the projector feature goes it does nothing for me as it's not a toy that physically interacts with the ball. Stern never adds a lot of code to premium features so I can see the projector just rotating over through a handful of images. That leaves the backboard magnet as the only additional toy that physically interacts with the ball on the premium / LE. The backboard magnet will likely be used for one mode, Telekinesis Multiball, and that's it. It's not a question of whether or not the premium / LE will be fun (sure it will be) but what is being offered for the price. I'm just not seeing enough being offered on the premium and especially the LE to justify the price.

#3015 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

All games have a theme, even if it’s non-licensed. A license usually helps players understand what a game is about instantly. An unlicensed game needs to do the same thing:
Fish Tales: It’s about catching fish
No Good Gofers: It’s golf...and annoying gophers.
AFM: It’s about stopping the aliens.
MM: It’s about mad kings & trolls & destroying castles.
Dialed In: It’s about...a basic 90’s guy in mom jeans with a magic cell phone? And drones? And a hologram theater? And disasters?
It’s an instant WTF...it doesn’t draw over potential players with the promise of an exciting and understandable premise. It’s a fine & fun game...but it’s failure to catch on is 100% its theme.

Dialed In is better off with all of it wackiness, it's what makes the game so much fun!

Dialed In: It's about stopping disasters.

#3112 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They are pros and are dedicated to greatness. They’ll finish the product like they always do.
A better question is why would anybody think they won’t eventually release a finished product? They always do.
I shit you not, I hear even a WWE code update is in the pipeline.

Yeah, I hear ya there. I can't really hammer Stern about code anymore, not after how they choose to finish Ghostbusters code. Yes it took nearly 3 years but not only did they deliver a final update they delivered a massive code update that added a ton to the game. Hell, they even added a bunch of additional topper effects to the game which never happens.

What I would be more concerned with is not if Stranger Things code will he completed but how well it will be completed. You can have 10, 20, 30, etc modes in a game but none of that matters if the mode choreography isn't there. Telekinesis Multiball is a good example of a mode with a severe lack of choreography. A lack of mode choreography seems to be the main complaint against Munsters. In the end some Stern games still end up recieving better code support then others.

#3296 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Don't forget how weird these games will look after Season 4+, new actors, grown up actors, new threats and we're not even in Hawkins anymore. The upside down will most likely be around still.

Yeah. There's a good number of pins based on TV shows that are missing around half of the content from the show as the game is released while the show is halfway through its run. TWD, GOT, and now Stranger Things all feel incomplete as the code ends up telling the themes beginning, a middle, and...that's it. It's bummer from an objective ruleset perspective as there's no real end of the theme to reach, and certain events like you said end up missing from modes. I'm sure this is done on purpose to rack up sales while the shows popularity is still high.

#3300 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You fundamentally don’t understand pinball game design and what matters. No one is expecting 40 hours of programming & storytelling distilled into a 5 minute pinball game.

What matters to some players is having a themes full story covered especially when it's going to be filled with a dozen + modes and cost $6k-$9k+. I guess any pinball designer who created a pin based off of a trilogy didn't know what the hell they were doing. LOTR would have been better if it covered just the first 2 films and that's it right? Batman 66 should have covered just the first season too! Stern Star Wars? Might as well have created modes just for Empire Strikes Back and been done with it.

Also, you fundamentally don't understand pinball game design if you believe less then 40 hours of programming goes into these games.

#3306 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

1.) LOTR doesn’t have every story beat, character or piece of content from the movies.
2.) I’ve had the game for over 10 years and never seen Valinor. Most people won’t even get to Destroy The Ring. I love LOTR, it’s the best deep game ever, but depth for the sake of depth or as a marker of good game design is way overblown.

How would LOTR pinball been if it covered just the first film and skipped the last two? It wouldn't be remembered nearly as well, and wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is over 10 years later. Destroy the Ring, a mode most players can get to on a great game, wouldn't even be in the game.

#3309 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cool, you missed my point entirely, bro...just like you thought “mom jeans” on DI was a reference to the construction lady, and not the dude on the playfield wearing mom jeans lol
No TV show pinball has included the entire series story arc. They don’t need to. They’re games. Not DVDs. It’s not relevant to whether the game & rules & integration are designed well.

Cool, you missed my point entirely as well. Yes, there are TV show pins that have covered an entire series story arc. Batman 66 and STTNG. Every detail and event from all seasons doesn't need to be covered, simply having some modes (even just 1 or 2) based on critical events from a season (or movie) is what helps create a beginning, middle, and end for telling a themes story. That's what LOTR pinball does.

#3322 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

Well, DLC of course wouldn't be free. Imagine you can buy season 3 in a year and then season 4 in another. All new assets and modes and you decide on the setup which seasons you currently play it have it progressive.
Continued revenue for the manufacturer plus new stuff for the owner to keep it fresh. If course releasing then something like 0.64 is a no-no.

It sounds like a nice idea on paper but I fear manufacturers would use it as a way to include less in a game upfront and then just charge more for add on content packs later.

#3345 4 years ago
Quoted from jurulz:

Nice new code already!
NEW CODE! Stern Pinball has posted new Stranger Things code v0.75.0 for the Pro models.
This code contains bug fixes, additional polish, and game enhancements.
Pro – v0.75.0:
https://sternpinball.com/?post_type=game_code&s=Stranger+Things+Pro
PRO V0.75.0 - December 30, 2019
=====================
- Changing revision number to sync with LE/PRE rev level.
- Added new Demogorgon Kill SFX to Bust Out.
- Added new Demogorgon Kill SFX to Trap'Em, Trap'Em Super Jackpot.
- Added new Demogorgon Kill SFX to What's That.
- Added new Demogorgon Kill SFX to Run Will, Run Will Super Jackpot.
- Added new Demogorgon Kill SFX to Can't Stop This, Can't Stop This Super Jackpot.
- Added Send it Back Intro SFX.
- Added Light the Fire Intro SFX.
- Added new Send it Back Intro display effect.
- Added new Light the Fire Intro display effect.
- Added new Final Showdown Intro display effect.
- Added Bullies award speech.
- Changed the volume of the Bullies award SFX.
- Changed/Raised the speech volume for all speech .wav files.
- Added speech for finishing Morse Code.
- Added Progress meter to Quarter Hunt.

That's great! Lots more choreography and I'm sure there's much more to come.

#3600 4 years ago

In regards to DLC a video game cost $60 and a season pass $30 - $40. A year later a game of the year, ultimate, or whatever edition can be found for $40 that includes the base game and all DLC. As others have mentioned DLC for video games was created in part to get around the $60 price point that consumers have been used to paying for video games for over 20 years.

A new pinball machine is now $6k - $15k and unlike video games we've seen regular price increases for over 10 years. I've always looked at the cost of a NIB pin as including a complete, deep, and unique code offering considering the high price. Would we pay $500 to enable ABS on our cars when it's a standard feature today? Hell no. DLC for a $6k - $15k pinball machine of all things would result in manufacturers including less code upfront for games and locking code for what we expect today behind a pay wall. Instead of 40 modes on Stranger Things today for $6k - $9k you will get 10 modes and several 10 mode content packs for $100 - $500 each. At today's already record high prices that seems insane.

#3606 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

[quoted image]

Those are Sterns official dimple viewing sunglasses. View your playfield with them on and suddenly the dimples disappear!

#3666 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Kinda surprised so many guys would want this pin in their home. There’s a nearly bald, 12 year old girl with a nosebleed on the translite.
I couldn’t look at that translite in my lineup every day.

The pro translite is downright ugly in my opinion. Hell, I think I prefer GOT's pro transite over it and that one is horrible as well. I'm not sure who made the decision to use that artwork for the pro transite, just wow. Same goes for the side cabinet artwork on the pro, it's not appealing. The pro artwork is going to look worse overtime considering the shows actors now look much older. Premium translite isn't much better. LE translite looks really nice!

It's a shame the artwork couldn't of been done in the style below. Would have looked great mirrored! Both of these are official Stranger Things posters sold on Amazon.

Season 1

7152oz+hIHL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg7152oz+hIHL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

Season 2

81y+ep8laWL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg81y+ep8laWL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#3677 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These tiny little pin pricks are what you guys are getting all worked up about? Looks fine to me.
Dimpling isn't real. You guys are all insane, and ruining pinball.

Expectations for build quality, code depth, and what is being offered feature wise have all gone up dramatically after NIB games have in many cases doubled over the past 10 years, and nearly tripled over the past 15 years. People wouldn't be complaining as much if these games were still $3k - $5k new but not at $6k - $9k+.

Stern, JJP, etc can charge these insane prices but they better back it up with top quality. Theres no excuse other then greed at this point for poor playfield quality considering these asking prices. Today's playfields should really be of better quality then those made 20 years ago.

#3730 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That's the part that gets me. At what point is there responsibility on the buyer? If expectations are higher than reality, why are people still buying nib? You say Stern is just being greedy but people are more than willing to hand over asking prices even with the history of questionable qc.

You're right. As long as the sales keep coming Stern won't change. It's just surprising that as a company Stern doesn't want to take more pride in their products by offering better quality and more value in their games. Tons of other successful companies have that mindset. I can't help but to look and play many recent Stern's and think "Yes, this game is fun but it's not worth the NIB asking price". The high prices, random quality control, and less being included on the playfield has started to take away the fun of owning new games. Might as well just play on location at that point.

#3734 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am generally curious how many layers your playfield is? Same with your STTNG Greg? As long as we are having this discussion again, let's try and figure out the discrepancies. Is it a 5-7 layer with a dark dense wood on the top, or is it a 9-11 with a lighter colored layer in the plywood? Just curious

I posted this in another thread but here's a great post from Mike at CPR regarding wood used for playfields at CPR and Stern. Based on Mike's reply below is sounds like Stern could match CPR's playfield specs for less than $50 more per game...

"Guys;

I have to jump in here as well, on four issues. The first was the Xenon PFs that we ran out of last year. The Xenon's I cut were in no way shape or form ever going to satisfy the entire interest but at the time I had the wood and inserts for a very limited number of PFs. I decided that rather than idle the CNC and layoff the guys it made more since to actually make the PFs I had materials for at the time. The rest of the material had been ordered but the lead times on our materials can be HUGE! It just made since to keep everyone employed and the machines working while new supplies were on route.

The second point I have to comment on is our wood. I absolutely believe that our wood is by FAR the best in the world. We have had many suppliers over the years and in bad times have been forced to use the same wood as the other PF manufacturer uses all the time and let me tell you that doing so is our last resort. Playfield wood over the decades has often been whatever was available to the manufacturers. Many PFs especially in the 70s and 80s PFs used three layers of thick cheap filler wood with two thin layers of maple on the faces, something you could buy at your local building supply only with thicker face veneers. For decades most of the better playfield wood came from North American Plywood near Chicago. It used sweet gum as its filler cores and .040" face veneers. But in 2008 in the downturn they liquidated their custom plywood mill and everyone was scrambling to find wood, even Stern. We then shifted to Marion Plywood from Wisconsin who made two very good orders for us before they shifted their glues to a more green product that warped like crazy. We even tried a Russian Baltic Birch that had custom maple veneers glued to it. It was expensive and unsuitable for several reasons. Finally, the current supplier for Stern contacted us and offered to make our wood. This was several years ago now and we couldn't have been happier as they work directly with us to produce the very best CUSTOM wood you can buy ANYWHERE! Their standard wood for Stern is a good one side panel with 3 layers of white ash and a 0.048" face veneers. After many consultations with their tech guys we came up with what I know is the best playfield wood in the world. We use the same basic setup as Stern, 3 layers of white ash cores then we use 4 layers of maritime hard maple BUT we increased the thickness of the two face veneers by 64% to get a nominal face thickness of 0.075". These huge and thick ONE piece veneers are crazy expensive and we always get this top grade veneer on BOTH sides of your PF. This alone added $12 to the cost of each panel vs just using a second grade veneer on the bottom like Stern does. There's nothing wrong with the way Stern does it, as they just refuse any board they want and since they are so close to the mill, the mill just picks it up with the next load and credits them. We however are a $4000 freight bill away so that won't work. We pay a lot extra to get the very best wood they can produce right off the start. You get a much nicer product and a much denser and tougher PF. This wood is 25% heavier for the same size panel as our old wood and nearly a third heavier as Baltic Birch which some other playfield manufacturers use. I would love to use cheaper wood like some others do, after all why would I pay $12.50/sqft landed when I can get birch at less than $2.00sqft? We use the best densest hardest custom wood we can get because we think its worth it and we always try to make the very best product we can.

There are other point is that we intentionally make three levels of quality. Wow, really? We always try to make perfect playfields, every single time but in the past we ALWAYS did full spot color silkscreens which meant that each and every color layer is individually vectored with trapping layers built and silk screened one color at a time, one on top of the other. 14 colors means 14 trips through the screen press. 14! Even the slightest misalignment in any single layer of the normal 12-14 color process means the final product isn't a gold anymore. Its wood, a living surface so if the ink doesn't lay down into every nook and cranny of every square mm of the grain then its not a gold. If a single piece of dust get in the screen and makes its way into the print which is very hard to prevent then its really not a gold anymore. To screen press a playfield we could never do more than about 1 color a day just due to the logistics of cleaning the ink you just used out of the screen trying to save what you can, then removing the screen and washing it with cleaner and paper towels, then once the ink is out, rinsing and then using a stripper to remove the image from the screen, then rinsing, then bleaching the screen to remove all traces of the previous image, rinsing, then drying the screen. Then you have to coat the screen with a photosensitive liquid and let that dry. Then you lay on your full size and expensive direct contact positive and expose the whole thing to a powerful UV light, then immediately wash the screen once more to expose the image which means a third drying of the screen! Then mount it and align it precisely to the previous image on the screen press, which always involves a few trial and error hits on test prints. Add in a cleaned and sharpened squeegee and print your single color...... now repeat this process for each and every color on the playfield. Any misalignment at all, even as small as 1/64"in ANY layer and you may not have a gold, any mark from handing and small dropout of ink, and deep grain that the ink didn't get to and you may not have a gold anymore. Screen printing is many many times harder to do than printing it digitally. Producing artwork for screen printing is horrendously more difficult than prepping something for a digital print. We are very lucky that we have years worth of vectored artwork that can fairly easily be converted for digital use to be used on our big flatbed but you can't go the other way. If you printed 100 PFs and have 10 that are not perfect you had no choice but to sell them, hence silvers and bronze. It could take you as long as 2 weeks to reprint those 10 PFs. Now if you are doing these on a digital printer you have eliminated ANY chance of a misalignment because its a single flat image not 12-14 images laid on top of one another, the printer is spraying, so surface imperfections are easily covered and there is no screen to get contaminated. So for screen printing, since the artwork is many times more complex in comparison and the printing method is many times more complex its no wonder that we didn't always get 100% gold. Of course if you have something go sideways on a digital print it takes but minutes to sand the ink off and clean it up and run it through the printer once again, $8 in inks costs versus basically spending two weeks trying to rescreen a few seconds. But now that we have the same tech as others we can also fairly easily reprint an error so there will be much fewer silver and bronzes in our future.

Making the right number of PFs for everyone is more art than anything else. Playfields are crazy expensive to make and the production costs are all up front. In some cases royalties and licensing alone can cost as high as 25% of the full retail value of the PF, do some quick math and figure out the size of the check you'd have to write to cover that on 100 pfs!! Inserts can cost $25-$100 per PF due to minimum requirements of the molders. You can figure out our wood costs from above. Add in the costs of 2 CNCs, 2 laser cutters, a silk screen operation, a huge UV flatbed etc.... now figure that 50% of the guys who signed up don't buy!! In the case of Corvette PFs we had 75% of people who signed up didn't purchase as they promised! Have two or three of these happen in a row and anyone would become gun shy real quick or we risk losing our homes! I tried deposits when I first started this and it was a nightmare, lately we have on rare occasions used them again with much more success so maybe that's a possibility but truthfully making smaller numbers is the safest thing to do. Using the digital system instead of silk screening makes much more sense and having the ability to digitally reprint our screen printed seconds may get rid of them almost entirely.

Making PFs is complex, silk screening playfields is stoopid complex and expensive in the very small numbers we make but we do it because we love it.

Mike"

Regarding maple vs baltic birch see Vid's reply below, good stuff.

pinball playfield wood (resized).JPGpinball playfield wood (resized).JPG

#3808 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

There is much anticipation about seeing the Premium or LE on a stream of some sort.
******WARNING*******
Temper your expectations!! There is NO WAY the projection is going to look good on a stream. It will simply not read well due to the limits of web cams, cell phones, etc etc.
I think it’ll be something you need to see in person to judge.
I think there will be a loud chorus of “I’m out. Projection is washed out”, “Was hoping for more pop visually”, and so on.
The reality is, our human eyes will be way better at handling the crazy contrast required to view this properly. I think this will underwhelm on stream, and overwhelm in person.

Yeah good point. My other concern is how much variety will the projector feature offer in terms of images? If the same half dozen or so images are repeatedly displayed what fun is that? Stern has done a poor job in the past of adding a lot of code to premium / LE features, part of the reason is they can't separate the rules between models. I'm hoping that there will be unique projected images for every mode. If that same arcade logo is spinning for all 40 modes it's going to get old quick.

#3847 4 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Even the ramp flaps are dimpling on new Stern’s. :/[quoted image][quoted image]

Those do not look like blue spring steel ramp flaps that are more durable. I'm not sure if Stern has used blue spring steel ramp flaps or at least thicker steel ones in the past. At some point it's disgusting to see just how far the cost cutting has gone.

#4013 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Showed up at wired.com.
Hint: The projector doesn't work well with spot lights.
[quoted image]

That's what Sterns official Limited Edition Oakley Stranger Things sunglasses are for. Numbered 1-1000 (comes with plaque). Only $500.

#4093 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

That's kind of it. Plenty of dimples on our location pins. Zero instances of chipped clear coat or lost artwork due to dimples.
Seems to me dimples are mainly an issue for those home collectors who wish for their pins to remain looking "unplayed", which makes me wonder what they bought it for. To stare at it or to play it?

I think a majority of buyers are fine with dimpling, it's the severity of the dimpling that's been in question as its more noticeable. Stern games are now $6k-$9k+ so there's no excuse, other than greed, to not offer a playfield that holds up equal to or better than those made 20+ years ago.

We've seen minimal dimpling playfields from CPR and know that they spend less than $50 more per playfield then Stern does to make a higher quality playfield. Why can't Stern offer the same quality after multiple yearly price increases, cost savings on cabinet items (lock down bar straps, bolts for head), and often using plastic ball returns vs metal habit rails on premium / LE models, etc?

#4145 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool. Looks like the lighting is a bit dimmer in those images and the projected images are still hard to see.

Also, just noticed that's Jeff Bakalar interviewing the Stern employee. He's a fellow pinball fan and is a regular on GiantBomb's Beastcast podcast.

#4150 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

That's just how bad the projector is, it's not even washed out, people are even thinking it's not even powered on

It looks like Stern may have brought a Stranger Things Premium over to the Cnet booth. Also, Cnet's cameraman may have lowered the exposure on the camera to better capture the projected images as the recorded area does look dimmer than in Stern's booth. Either way it's very difficult to see.

#4217 4 years ago

I sure wish Stern could put some metal habit rails in Stranger Things versus just in the display at their CES booth... It's time to toss that thing and put a giant plastic loop up there.

721e1226b76dc5812d22ce4a9efb0cc6e150c410 (resized).jpeg721e1226b76dc5812d22ce4a9efb0cc6e150c410 (resized).jpeg

#4304 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Ok, sounds good. I'm just hoping the projector isn't the ecto-goggles 2.0 with the limited animations.

That's my worry. Stern typically doesn't add a lot of code to their premium / LE features.

#4306 4 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

“Have you heard of photoshop”
I’m still a novice to posting in here and knowing the personalities, but man some of the stuff people want to be conspiracies is hilarious.
Here’s a quick vid I recorded FROM the bright con floor just now. If you need me to record more from my phone and say your name or date or flash my Illuminati badge, let me know.

What's cool about that quick video is we see lighting effects above the building being projected. I hope a lot of unique animations like that are added.

#4404 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

That picture was taken at dusk and the billboard will look much better when it's completely dark out - G.S.

Just drove by it myself, optimal lighting conditions for viewing are now met and tuned.

Also, thanks to kpg for that original image, had me laughing pretty good.

d669cee9ab3a1e2eb2127bee8a5bbd1369e028f9-01 (resized).jpegd669cee9ab3a1e2eb2127bee8a5bbd1369e028f9-01 (resized).jpeg

#4678 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Well I am patiently waiting for Jurassic Park LE to hit my sweet spot of $7500. I may be waiting for some time because that game has actually turned out to be a stellar game. The layout is freaking bonkers and it may not take much of a hit because people want it(including myself). Anyone want to sell me a JP LE for $7500

Yeah. Jurassic Park LE and Dead Pool LE are two recent Stern's that have broken the trend of taking a $1.5k - $2k hit within 6 months on resale. Each of those games has a better perceived value in my mind then Stranger Things LE. It's amazing just how much better a game looks with at least metal habit rails if not also metal ramps. The 100% plastic ramps on all Elvira and Stranger Things? I know some people will say it makes for buttery smooth gameplay but it also makes those games look cheap and at the higher prices points of $7k-$9k+ a game should look anything but cheap.

The only thing that will save Stranger Things resale is incredible code in terms of depth, variety, and mode choreography. Stern can do it but it will take time and as we all know it's basically a lottery whether or not the game will receive the proper code support owners deserve.

#4680 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think those games are still new and to be honest I do not believe they are completely sold out with distributors yet? They are great games so-time will tell on those two?

Jurassic Park LE and Deadpool LE seem to be sold out at distributors. I've seen a couple NIB ones being offered for sale but for well over the standard price.

#4762 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I’m still on the fence after looking at the deadflip post... you pretty much need to play the thing in the dark. Not saying it doesn’t look cool but for the extra coin your just getting visuals. The magnetic ball lock is nice but still meh. So is it worth the extra coin I guess is the question.

I'm with ya. Even with the shades pulled down in that Deadflip video the projected image looks a bit washed out and not very vibrant. The use of projector mapping in a pin is a cool and innovative feature but after seeing how it looks I would prefer more physical features (the main draw of pinball in the first place) over one that doesn't really interact with the ball. Then again it may look much better in person.

I see some comments being made hoping that the projector isn't like the Ecto Goggles in Ghostbusters in terms of it needing more variety. That needs to happen as unlike Ghostbusters premium / LE which has multiple other physical features to fall back on Stranger Things premium / LE, besides the magnetic ball lock, does not.

As of now not much changes with the projected images based on mode. "WILL", the rotating arcade sign, and the same ramp arrows are there with every mode. The only thing really unique are the video clips which are already represented on the main display. Why is there a rotating arcade sign during every mode? There should be a purpose to it such as appearing when an arcade related mode is lit. Hopefully a lot more animations and variety to them are coming.

#4765 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

The STLE laser would have been perfect for Stranger Things could of had it in white or a grey/blue to simulate the ash in the upside down, drop out the GI and turn it red/purple few flashes.
At the moment the upside down seems almost uneventful, it should be a big visual change like in the show.

Yeah. Take the scene below where Jonathan is trying to find Nancy who's in upside down. The game could visually change with lighting, LCD, and sound effects when in the upside down, swap back to Jonathan's perspective with another change in effects, and then back again. That would be some nice mode choreography to see and would have more of an impact then a basic hurry up mode. Maybe there's something like this already in the game?

1 week later
#5483 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

There are lots of callouts in there... but they are bland, boring, and frankly suck. Just things like "super pop bumpers"... very dry stuff that isn't really creative writing at all.
There are more show clips of audio.. but in terms of David H callouts... there aren't any hidden gems in there waiting to come out. They need more than what is in shipping code...

Either David H mailed it in or Stern didn't convey well how to come across with the callouts as like you said they are rather bland. I'm sure it can be hard to tell an actor to add some more enthusiasm but hey they are getting paid for a job. I remember Eric from JJP telling a story of how he asked Kevin McNally on Pirates callouts if he could add a little more "arrrrr" to some callouts lol. Ernie Hudson seemed really into recording Ghostbusters callouts and it shows.

The entire vibe for Stranger Things seems to be dark which makes me wonder if the way callouts were recorded is intentional. There's very little sense of comedy currently being conveyed in the game that the show regularly exhibits so well. As soon as you start the game it has a dark vibe and the Christmas light animation is already being shown despite that event happening later in the first season. There's no build up or setup to all hell breaking loose and as a result the game doesn't seem to have a narrative.

#5510 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Since I wasn’t around when Star Trek LE came out, what does it have that sets itself apart from the more recent LE offerings?

Interior and exterior cabinet lighting to produce ship laser effect, laser etched armour (that ties into the cabinet lighting), Star Trek insignia lighted logo on both sides of cabinet head (think its metal too), stainless steel speaker grill, and metallic looking armour (versus a flat color). Pretty much the best LE Stern ever made.

2 weeks later
#6271 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the reveal was all playfields have UV ink on them. the disappointment was the fact that stern wants all owners to pay an additional $279 for a UV light kit (which includes a new apron and (8) playfield plastics with UV ink on them. it installs using 2 nut drivers and a screwdriver. the fact that the kit includes a new apron either indicates very poor planning on stern's part or this was part of the plan all along equaling a new low in raping the customer even more (especially the LE buyers
link for kit:
https://shop.sternpinball.com/collections/accessories/products/stranger-things-uv-lighting-kit
it's amazing how disappointing jack danger has become since becoming a stern employee. he's towing the company line so everything is rah! rah! stern now

It's ridiculous. How can Stern charge $9k for an LE that already looks stripped down and then pull this crap? It's BS and is a new low considering Stern also raised their prices with this title.

#6283 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

hahahha. I'm no Stern Defender but I've seen guys drop more on shitty 3d plastic printer toy mods for their games than this. If your spending 9k-12k on a pin this $279 shouldn't really make you come on here and whine about it.

People were saying that when the games were $5k - $6k tops. Now at $9k people are expecting more. This nickel and dime crap has gotten out of hand at these prices.

A lot of people are upset as this is a feature that partially physically exists on all game models but can't be utilized without spending nearly $300 more.

#6318 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Amazing how so many people bought this game without even knowing it existed! I guess they were pretty fucking clairvoyant weren't they?

It makes you wonder why Stern didn't list UV playfield ink on the games feature matrix since they always list even the most basic of features (ex. super smooth action spinner). Did Stern think they would piss early LE buyers off and wanted a good chunk of games sold first?

#6420 4 years ago
Quoted from AxelBlonde:

The UV art is a great idea!
But it really should have been in the game from day 1.
The upside down should look like this, stock. Not by paying 300$.
After playing a bit, overall really disappointed. Being a huge fan of the show, I just feel the theme integration is poor, not enough call outs, no real main story line (Take Deadpool, you are Deadpool, you fight vilains, JP2 you visit the island, BKSOR you fight monsters and challenge the BK) Here it just feels like going through mods, not really caring for anything else happening. The layout is ok, not great not bad either, mainly due to the invincible artichoke, the plunge into the open playfield and the right orbit that just feeds the bumpers. Nothing crazy.
It's an overall meh for me as the code stands.
And please give me a Never Ending Story mode with the song.
If I'm really picky, where are all the great soundtrack of the previous seasons? The soundtrack of the show is really awesome if you listen to it, can't really find anything in the game that sticks out.

A Never Ending Story mode is probably in a season 3 content pack for $500.

#6447 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I find this far less ridiculous than the $700 dollar Star Wars topper that looks like it should be sitting on the shelf at Wal Mart for $19.99.

This is how it starts. $280 for 2 strips of lights and a few plastics is now a deal lol. Toss in the side rail, topper, side art, and shooter rod accessories and its become clear that we are being nickle and dimed at these all time record high prices. An LE isn't even an LE anymore as it doesn't come with every feature offered by the manufacturer.

He who shall not he named was right when he said "Stern is driven by profit, not passion" and this proves it.

#6601 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

You guys are acting like this is the worst thing any company has ever done....
JJP promised this big elaborate triple spinning disc mech in Pirates and opening closing chest, They take it out on final release, the game is still great... That would tick me off more than something extra that's already in the game vs something I though was in the game when I put my deposit down... This UV light is not a big deal people

The difference is that you could still cancel your Pirates order if you didn't like those changes. JJP didn't ship Pirates with the triple disk and say "now give us $300 more to make it work". As a Pirates buyer you still knew upfront prior to shipping what you were getting, even if you didn't like it, from JJP. That's not the case with Stranger Things.

Overall people are just upset about the deceitful vibe from this accessory. Stern knew from the beginning that they were going to offer the UV light kit hence the UV playfield ink. They should have at least been upfront about it, hell that's the least they could do when charging $6k - $9k for a pin.

#6611 4 years ago

So here's a pic of the kit. An apron and plastics are already on all games. A customer is basically paying $280 for a couple light strips and a mini board...Why not at least include the apron lights and UV plastics on all titles if regular plastics and an apron come standard on all games?

#6615 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

That's the pro kit. The premium/LE kit comes with a metal apron.

That's good. At this time I only see the one kit listed on Stern's site. I can see a pro and UV light kit making for a fun complete game. Will have to keep an eye on HUO prices.

https://shop.sternpinball.com/collections/accessories/products/stranger-things-uv-lighting-kit

#6623 4 years ago
Quoted from CyberNinja24:

Unboxed LE number 234 tonight and I think it’s incredible. Plays great right out of the box.
There sure has been a lot of hate and stern bashing on this thread, and that’s cool. But, here’s a picture of a nine year old and his mom who doesn’t really like pinball enjoying the snot out of this game tonight.
Cheers!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats! The LE looks really slick with that backglass as does the purple armor. It's nice to see more projector animations being added with the latest updates as well.

#7004 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Just set up my LE #189, did no adjustments and everything works as it should. Ball lock and demegorgan work as they should. All I can say is this game is a blast to play, reminds me of afm and I love afm. I am glad I ignored all the negative people downing this game. Plays super fast great modes and music is killer. The LE/Premium is the way to go as the projector is everything for this game, and the ball lock is super cool. I currently own around 60 games, and this a let's play one more time game. I can see when people who come over this game will be a big hit.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There's nothing like unboxing a new pin, and an LE at that! Always a fun day. Congrats and enjoy.

#7006 4 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

It's not the lighting. I think if you like the gameplay the airballs from the center ramp are something you have live with. You could always swap out the side ramp flaps periodically and the bonus is you'll get good with a rivet tool
What may be more of a worry is the exposed ends of the plastic ramps. In this pic you can see a crack on the top end of the ramp... right side. Zoom in to see it. Maybe something metal could be made to protect the top ends of the plastic ramps.
[quoted image]

It's this type of cost cutting that is ridiculous at these prices. Stern couldn't spend an extra $1 per game on spring steel ramp flaps?

I could see grabbing a Stranger Things Pro and the UV light kit but it's these quality issues that are holding me back. There's no excuse, other than greed, for Stern to constantly be trying to save a $1 here, $5 there, when these games now cost $6k - $9k+. Based on what CPR said we know it would only cost Stern less than $50 more per game to match their playfield quality / specs yet Stern refuses to do that despite raising prices yet again. I understand wanting to make a profit but damn.

#7081 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

I thought I wouldn't like it, but the projector is awesome and I think the UV kit will add an incredible layer of immersion. I liked playing the LE so much I ordered a premium. I will definitely be getting the UV kit. Shots are smooth with good flow. I found hitting the Demogorgon very satisfying. I liked how it moves in the LE/premium version. And the ball lock is just cool. To each their own, but this game one me over after 3 plays.

That's great to hear. I noticed you have a good amount of deep objective based games in your collection. Those are the types of rulesets I gravitate towards. Do you think the ruleset in Stranger Things is similar to other deep objective based games that tend to feel like a journey through the themes story?

Also, I like that Stern seems to be giving a lot of attention to expanding use of the projector. I was worried that there would only be a few animations but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case. Still hoping for much more improvements in regards to mode choreography. Depending on how the code turns out I can see possibly getting a premium down the road.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mount Washington, KY
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheboro, NC
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 39.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.