IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2604 4 years ago

So I just finished watching season 1, yeah I don’t have much time for TV so I’m a bit far behind. Does the game have magnets throwing the ball around the playfield. The magnet in the back I saw in one of the videos doesn’t really count. Is there an upside down mode of any sort in the game? Would be cool if the lighting could change to reflect an upside down mode and you fight past Demigorgons. I could see a cool video mode for the game too. A mode where you have to hit things to spell “right here” could be cool. A Christmas lights mode. Lots of possibilities.

#3003 4 years ago

We have been considering modding the camaro and the hopper blazer, but I think they will be too big for the game. The camaro is just over 5” and the blazer is 6”, both are pretty big for the playfield. If someone has a game and wants to be a tester for me, please contact me.

1 week later
#4253 4 years ago

I'm confused on this projector screen. How is it any different than having a small LCD screen on the pf, like in hobbit, di or sw?

Is the projector screen and the ball lock mech the only differences between the pro and prem/le?

#4535 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I heard on this machine, new code updates will no longer erase high scores. You'll have to start putting dates behind your initials or the code # to differentiate.

That’s been the case for a little while now, maybe starting with Munsters. I kind of think the high scores aren’t meaningful until code matures. New updates change rules and scoring so hard to compare.

1 week later
#5326 4 years ago

I get the 48v message at start up too, seems to be part of the boot sequence. I don’t think, but am not sure, it’s an actual issue. The game boots and plays correctly. It’s done this from day 1. No shaker.

#5332 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

If you power up the game with the coin door open, you will get the 48v message. There is an interlock switch that disables node board power when the coin door is open.

I get the message with the coin door closed.

#5344 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So just got off the phone with tech support at stern and he said that the 48v messsge we’ve been getting on boot up is normalans that he also gets the same message on the machine on their test machine. He’s going to forward this to the code people and they’ll add something in code to eliminate this. So there you guys go. Just like chuckwurt was saying.

Thanks for confirming! I've never had an issue with a shaker motor in a spike game. I wonder if you have the wrong one.

#5348 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

lermods , I bought the pinball life brand and not the stern brand. I’m wondering if this has anything to do with it?? I mean. Why would stern offer something like a shaker motor if it was gonna cause issues elsewhere in the game electronics. Idk.

It shouldn't. Pbl shakers are known to work in spike games. It should not cause issues elsewhere in your game. If it is, I would contact pbl and let them know, they will take care of you, maybe send you a new one.

I'm not sure how the shaker would have anything to do with the ramp motor.

#5351 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I'm glad you got it working !
And I'm glad I brought it up. Although a shit ton of people downvoted my post for even suggesting that a mod could have caused this because everyone is so hell bent on blaming Stern.
Either way, I got a ton of shit and downvotes but at the end of the day I'm glad something positive came out of it

Mods can cause issues, not ours of course , but they can if hooked up or manufactured incorrectly. I need to read the manual more closely as I'm not sure how these two are connected. I'm guessing the motor for the shaker and the motor for the ramp are running off 48v, but I think they are driven differently off different node boards. Maybe the shaker was wired backwards? I've seen that before. Or maybe there is an issue with the capacitor that stern has built in to the cabinet node board as that was an issue not long ago.

#5378 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My thoughts are that you may have damaged the boards with your mods.
My thoughts are also that you are always thinking about 4 steps ahead on this use.
My thoughts are install the new stuff stern is sending you, without the mods, and see what happens, and go from there.
My final thought is you should look into returning the game and getting your money back, or at least look into it.

And how exactly would his speaker lights and shaker damage his ramp motor? These are plug and play mods, not like he soldered them on or had to move stuff around. The lights and shaker work I believe. Most likely, he’s got a bad ramp motor or issue on the node board that controls the ramp motor. Since it’s never worked out of the box, it likely was defective from the factory. It happens.

#5386 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Any time you introduce alligator clips into a game, shit can happen. I have a friend who was baffled as to why his left flipper was sticking up on his walking dead. I asked if he had installed a mod. He had, some backbox lighting kit. He was shorting something on the board, he removed the mod as per my suggestions, and the flipper issue disappeared.
Mods draw power too. Could cause an issue?
I've seen games with tons of mods on them and the underside of the playfield and/or boards are a rats nest of alligator clips and wires. You can pretend that doesn't introduce the possibility of screwing up a perfectly working game but I don't buy it.

We are talking about a plug in shaker and plug in speaker lights that Doug said used a separate power supply. The bad shakers from a while back were causing slam tilt issues and resets I believe. Stern sent out capacitors, but now those are built into the game. I cannot 100% say the shaker is not at fault, but that’s not where I’d be starting. Start with motor and motor board. I do agree that I’d not plug anything in until he gets the ramp working. Then, one by one, add the mods you want and see what happens.

#5469 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

The pressure fit design is a complete joke and whoever designed it should have a good talking too. It’s literally a problem that will occur on every machine out there that gets play. If this game has been in development for 2 years, how on earth did this not get found during their testing....seriously! I’ve seen these posts fly out within a day on location.
The same goes for that post on JP below the middle right flipper. The day I got my JP I looked underneath and laughed that it didn’t have a nut on it. That’s the first thing I did before routing it.
These issues are really just ‘common sense’ to anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge. It’s totally insane that Stern can’t catch these issues before they roll out. Customers shouldn’t be the QC team. It only gives stern less credibility and less people will buy them over time (including myself who’s bought nearly every new stern since avengers)

should have been a metal post, like it should have been on metallica. these games are rushed out so fast with incomplete code and mechs not properly tested. None of us should be having to mess with flipper settings and incline settings to find a sweet spot to hit the main shot in the game, that's really ridiculous. and the amount of airballs in this game because the flippers are too strong on stock settings should have easily been picked up by someone at Stern. the game will dimple much less with lower flipper settings, and actually is much more enjoyable to play.

#5746 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

The game debut in the top 100 was something like 117, then it dropped again to the mid 150's now its on the brink of dropping out of the top 200 sitting at 198. Its time to just admit the obvious... this game is a disaster!
I keep saying it who cares about the projector, the game itself isn't fun. Nothing else matters.
The playfield art isn't good, there isn't really anything happening, lots of problems. Honestly its time to just move on and see what's next!
If there was EVER a time for JJP to go ahead and release GNR it is RIGHT NOW!
Take advantage RIGHT NOW during this BLACK GAP! (Nothing in sight for 8 weeks)
What are they waiting for they could own the conversation for the next 8 weeks if they dropped the game RIGHT NOW!
Stern fumbled the ball, pick it up and run it into the endzone! Lets go JJP change the conversation from a disaster to who knows but now is the time.
BTW if anyone even cares at this point I heard Stranger Things LE goes into productions this Friday.

A bit harsh. Ratings mean nothing, lots of people likely rating it who don’t own or never played it. Ill rate a game, but never really pay attention to the ranking. It’s actually a fun game and for me personally, I haven’t had any notable issues. I do wish they did a better job with the demo shot, airballs and flipper strength, but it’s all easily adjustable. I also wish they did a better job with code, clearly this and Elvira were rushed out. I mean for gods sake, the house turret isn’t even coded yet in Elvira, a major mech. That’s really unacceptable. St game play is similar to afm, but the modes are better than afm. The game has potential, but games need to stop being rushed out the door, first impressions mean a lot.

#5747 4 years ago
Quoted from veejay:

Loving playing my Stranger Things, but the feed out of the left hand orbit is dropping the ball plumb into the middle of the left sling. Means the mystery/eb lane and the demogorgon shots are very risky because the resulting soft feed into the left orbit, will dump the ball into the slings and the player will often outlane drain before they get a shot at the feature they have just started.
My game is level and pitched correctly.
Is there any known way to tidy this return feed up so that the ball is returned to the flipper instead of the slings?

Adjust your sling so it’s less sensitive. I had same issue on Elvira, drove me crazy until I fixed it.

#5755 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I also voted Batman Dark Knight (movie) a perfect 10. Do you have a problem with someone liking something? My rating is my opinion last I checked this is America, we have the freedom to our own opinion. If you don't think a game is a perfect 10 then that is your opinion. With all that being said I love how you change the subject. Stranger Things is about to fall out of the not top 100, but top 200. Stern doesn't get our support by default they need to earn it.
But just for you I'm going to change my rating for Creature from the Black Lagoon so it's a 9.9 instead of a 10 because I really want your support! You rate games the way you see fit and I'll do the same!

The rating system is flawed. I don't know why people get amped up about it. Rate a game as you see fit and don't worry about what others think. If people buy games based on ratings, they are selling themselves short. Avengers and Baywatch are two games I love, but get low ratings. I rated st 7.3, which is low for me, I like the game a lot, but it's failing in a number of categories, code and callouts being one of them as well as the artwork, at least for the pro. I'll adjust my rating when the game matures and I expect it to be a much better game. Stern has to improve code at release.

#5805 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I'm in agreement with what you are saying for the most part. The thing that really strikes me about this game is how similar it is to another Brian Eddy's game The Shadow. They are both similar in that they don't have a lot of interactive "toys" and it's more about the shots that loop back so you can shoot again. The Shadow "feels" more interactive, to me, because of the player-controlled diverters. So, it's not necessarily a bad thing that it doesn't have a lot of things to break up the flow - assuming you like that. If I read between the lines in your post, I think the lack of features/toys makes the game rather barren and, thus, lacks the "world under the glass" that helps drawn people in. But, again, not everyone cares about that and some just want a good shooting game. Good thing there are options!
Although the BOM on Stranger Things seems reduced, even by Stern standards, it seemed to shoot very nicely. My, biggest issue is/was the code. I played on the initial code (.64?) and it was just so lacking. So, I'm very curious, even excited, to play it again with completed code and, also, to play the premium/le to see how the projector is integrated.

i hadn't thought about the shadow, but I think you are right. the game feels like a cross between afm and ts. however, the demo shot compares in no way to destroying the saucer and even the upper pf in ts is better than the demo. st has nowhere near the flow as the ts.

2 weeks later
#7041 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Does the arcade sign spin all the time or only when the arcade insert is lit?

Quoted from tatman9999:

Spins all the time

It spins all the time unless you get the interactive version, which activates with any light on the playfield you choose. It’s quite a bit more expensive due to parts and labor, but the option is there for those who might want it.

https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fstranger-things-pinball-interactive-spinning-arcade-sign

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 39.00
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.