IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#265 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Possibly took a buyer or two away from stern but remember, everyone that got a Rick and Morty locked in yesterday only paid 1525 max. Most in this hobby can then turn around and get a stern the next day no problem.

That or just sell their spot for what they paid or more. Spooky has their fans and Stern has theirs too. Spooky already sold out so it's done plus Stern will sell far more pins than 750. I just hope Stern is not playing it safe with basic photoshop art, toys on springs, and same old two flipper fan layout.

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think it would be badass to have this sign somewhere in the game.[quoted image]

That will be your $750 LE topper you might see in a few years.

#1276 4 years ago

Not sure what to think of this one. That big flat panel dominates pf and makes everything look flat. Whoever said it looks like a drive in theater was spot on. I prefer toys that are more mechanical and interactive. Cool it opens but then just a bash toy. All the dependence on the projector worries me. How is it going to look in bright lights? Video was shot in pretty dark lighting so don't think that was by accident. Interesting idea, though. Magnet holding balls is cool I guess but rather see more interactive use of magnets. Art is okay but overall doesn't look too inspiring. At least it's not the same cookie cutter layout with toys on springs, I will give it that.

#1321 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My take on the Great Projector Freak Out of 2019:
No it won’t work in a super bright room but who plays pinball in a super bright room? You should be shot.
Yes it will look the best in a very dark room.
In the middle - your average location or game room - it’ll look good enough. Most of these places have what you would call “mood lighting.” I doubt any of these projections are particularly important / high detail, it’s for atmosphere and the gimmick will work well enough in most lighting situations.

Most places I see pins on location or at shows have decent ambient lighting. I've never seen the "true" strobe mb in AFM because everytime I have played the game it's bright enough to see playfield without gi. No problem for huo but I see a lot of work keeping those white targets clean. Once they get dirty it will be difficult to see the projection. Hopefully it will be good enough in average lighting.

#1695 4 years ago

Pro looks good but if no projector then the large panel in the middle is just printed art? Looks huge. I wonder if rules will be similar to AFM. Inserts and layout sure look similar.

#2199 4 years ago

Just watched a little of the stream. Pro looks pretty good to me for early code. Looks to have pretty good theme integration and the right atmosphere. I would definitely love to plunk some quarters into one but not a buyer.

#2318 4 years ago

Why are so many people down on this pin? Honest question. I'm not calling it the best Stern ever but it's far, far from their worst. It's Brian Eddy and some similarities to what many consider the two greatest classic pins from 90s. It has some interesting new features and pro looks to play almost exactly same as premium. Looks like a fun shooter without cheap drains, pf design flaws, and stupid tight shots. It's Stranger Things. Immersion looks better than average and it's not like you get hillbilly callouts, walmart toys on springs, clip art animations, and terrible pf art. Price has gone up but big surprise. Pinball is expensive and everyone else still charges more. Price will go up again in the future. Makes no difference you bought WWE for $500 a few months ago. We all know Stern has had quality issues in the past. That didn't stop JP from being a great pin. Great thing is you don' have to buy one. I'm not and it's great. I look forward to playing one since I enjoy Stranger Things, Brian Eddy games, and most Stern pins.

#2363 4 years ago
Quoted from PinKopf:

I don't want to seem like just another complainer, but I have to say the sticker wall image of the lab is pretty lame. A jump ramp is cool and all, but I don't care for that flat sticker wall in the least. It's huge too. Seems like we should be able to have a sculpted building somehow while incorporating a fold down ramp like that that still looked decent. Hell, even some creative use of several flat plastics to form a cheap 3d representation of a building in some way would be better. A straight up giant flat wall and sticker is ridiculous. Otherwise, the Pro should have the projector on this design it seems, plain and simple.

Gotta agree. I get why it's there since it's part of the overall design and cheaper to share parts across pro and premium. Probably hides ugly mech stuff, too. It would of been nice if there was a little more effort to design the pro instead of just cheapening a premium. If anything it's a good opportunity for modders. A 3d sculpted lab front with window led lights would be perfect.

#2371 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Plus - and this is a huge factor - this is the first chance the Rick and Morty cult has had to dump on a new release since they paid $1,500 for a game they won’t see in two years and haven’t seen a stream for yet.
It’s a perfect powder keg for over the top hatred. It doesn’t matter WHICH game was released, these rabid jackals we’re going to tear into it like your alcoholic uncle into the egg nog. There was more pent up energy here than the sexual tension between Diane and Sam at the cheers bar. And it had to be released!!!
As usual it’s representative of nothing. stranger things will sell like gang busters both here (the upside down) and in the real world, which pinside remains completely out of touch with.

So true about the Rick and Morty crowd. I love how patient and forgiving they are about all things Spooky but with Stern, it better be perfect, flawless, cheap, and on my porch in 5 minutes. It's all good to me. I would love to play RaM but will probably never see one. Look forward to seeing Stranger Things. They will sell well and be everywhere in a month or so.

#2401 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Everyone is all Rick n Morty vs Stranger Things, and I’m sitting here like “I bought both” cuz why the hell not?

Because that's a butt load of cash? I'm buying neither and sleeping great. No worries about late deliveries, projectors, pf issues, or any of that.

1 week later
#3540 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Man, no disrespect to those who are pushing for paid DLC for pinball, but that's literally one of the worst ideas I've heard in a looong time. If Stern released fully complete, deep, bug-free games at, or at least close-to, launch...then maybe.
But come-on...is there anyone here who really thinks Stern wouldn't abuse that system. I could easily see free updates, like the recent one that Ghostbusters got, suddenly costing money. And people are saying that they could charge $500 for that kind of thing! The fact that Stern will go back and continue to polish and update games, for free, years after initial release, is a big plus! That makes people want to keep buying Sterns, and generates good will. (Good will that they can spend on things like bad playfield clears!) What if Stern decides that routine bugfixes and code-completion updates are now deserving of a charge. Makes me sick to think of it.

+10000. Dumbest idea ever. People actually want to pay for software updates? Love to have money to burn like that. How about we just get a complete code game with a little polish and not take years to do so.

#3716 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Expectations for build quality, code depth, and what is being offered feature wise have all gone up dramatically after NIB games have in many cases doubled over the past 10 years, and nearly tripled over the past 15 years. People wouldn't be complaining as much if these games were still $3k - $5k new but not at $6k - $9k+.
Stern, JJP, etc can charge these insane prices but they better back it up with top quality. Theres no excuse other then greed at this point for poor playfield quality considering these asking prices. Today's playfields should really be of better quality then those made 20 years ago.

That's the part that gets me. At what point is there responsibility on the buyer? If expectations are higher than reality, why are people still buying nib? You say Stern is just being greedy but people are more than willing to hand over asking prices even with the history of questionable qc.

#4426 4 years ago

Toastergument is a new one. Prefer the cargument to be honest. I find all this very entertaining to be honest. There seems to be some urgency to determine whether the pin and the projector are any good. It just highlights how silly this hobby is when people gamble huge money on toys hoping they will be good enough to warrant such a high cost. If not good enough, there is hell to be paid because Stern is greedy and stole your money lol.

#4444 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Oh yeah man, I have been using one for a few years now. I currently have a RecTec smoker that has an app and I can monitor internal temps with 2x probes and it will send me an alert anywhere I am when the temp is getting close to done. Then I turn the temp down or shut it off wherever I am at.. or in some cases, noticed the cook is taking longer than anticipated, I just turn the temp up right from my phone.
Technology is awesome. Then again, I am a career tech geek which is why I borderline obsess over geeky tech shit like pinball machines and projectors

Maybe someday we will be playing our real pins on our smartphones sitting on the couch. Half joking it would be pretty cool to play a pin over the internet and a good sales tool where you could test drive a new or used game before buying.

#4493 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

My toilet is wifi enabled. Sends alerts to my phone everytime someone drops a deuce. Weight, bouyancy, makeup, consistancy. Best app ever!

Does it keep track of high scores? That would be a huge selling point.

1 week later
#5278 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

<begin soapbox rant>
I can't believe that some people here think that any company shipping any product that is DOA straight out of the box is acceptable. yes, I get that we as owners should know how to fix basic things (when they go wrong) to avoid costly repairs. however, that doesn't mean that we should have to play the role of technician straight out of the box.
if your brand new microwave, tv or videogame system were DOA straight out of the box, would you feel the need to break it open and start troubleshooting it on your own? I don't think so.
<insert cargument>
even if your $9,000+ base model car that you just drove off the lot died within 6 months, I'm guessing that you'd be right back at the dealer pitching a fit over the fact that there's no way that this should happen.
the fact that it has become acceptable to say "because it's pinball" has become synonymous with "you will need to adjust and fix things in order to enjoy your NEW purchase" is truly crazy. it's this type of mentality that has allowed [some] of the manufacturers to continue to get away with shipping games that "are a box of lights" at launch, take upwards of a year or more to get to v1.00 code (though still not complete) or remove a major feature via a code update rather than correct the physical issue just to name a few things that have occurred over the past 2 years.
and yet we (as a group) still continue to throw money at these companies for fear of missing out

Makes sense except a pinball machine is not a car or a microwave. Pins are sold as commercial equipment through distributors. Distributors are supposed to take care of any issues and offer some support. If your Chevy breaks down, you don't take it to the factory in Detroit. Part of the expectation of buying a pin is that they need a lot of maintenance and tweaking. That will never change. Code is what it is. If you are not happy with the code of a game, don't buy it. If you are not happy with the features, qc, or anything of a game don't buy it. You can rant all you want but if you keep buying games you are agreeing with Stern's terms.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Covington, LA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.