IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider donkadelic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#589 4 years ago

This game is gonna hinge on how well that projector effect is pulled off. In different lighting situations, etc. I don't have much confidence but we'll see.

#634 4 years ago

Honestly I really want this to be good. Attack From Mars is my favorite pin.

But if it is good, it'll be in spite of Stern, not because of them.

Spooky/JJP ask what features they can add. Stern ask what features can we take away.

It's really getting old.

#701 4 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

People love to bash stern so much. I think their recent pins have mostly been great. JP, deadpool, batman, etc. i tend to prefer recent sterns over JJP games. Just my preference i know.

ya jp, deadpool, batman....and a million stinkers in between. would argue batman is just another boring fan layout too.

and their games are still 2000$ overpriced.

i want stranger things to be good i really do, eddy is the man. but what are the chances it actually is? I give it 10-20%. that's Stern's good stuff rate.

#1053 4 years ago

This looks really bad and boring....sorry.

Hologram effect looks cheap, screen in the middle is just in the way of everything. Ball lock is on the back now...ok?

I'm just not impressed.

#2662 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Pretty sure they will sell you a spare, but IMO it’s overkill. Very unlikely you’ll have a problem and for home use you won’t come close to wearing it out.
Cabinets are not a problem recently as they’ve been using all ply and Williams style cabinet brackets (at least on PreLe’s - can’t comment on Pro’s).

Every single Jurassic Park I've seen has dimpling and playfield chipping. Every single Elvira I've seen has major dimpling (some after 2 weeks of minimal play). Sorry, but Stern's quality control is still absolute shit and it's completely pathetic the way they've handled and continue to handle the situation. Sending out washers and pieces of paper that say the dimpling will "even out" doesn't satisfy me as a customer. Why people continue to buy their out of the box damaged 6000$+ toys I will never understand.

#2665 4 years ago
Quoted from jdroc:

Maybe it’s Schrodingers playfield and your observing it is causing the dimpling...my JP2 doesn’t have any but you haven’t seen it...thinking I should keep it that way to be safe

or you could view the thread with about 1000 examples of it. your choice.

hows your clearcoat lookin? got those washers coverin up the damage yet?

1 week later
#3949 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

if the dimples was related to clear figure you would see dimples on the inserts which you don't. the wood is softer now than it was 10+ years ago and stern games play fast with airballs. Craters
I try not to let it bother me as the stern games play good, but when the light hits the playfield at the right angle it looks like a damn golf ball. =(

the clear doesn't dimple on the inserts because the inserts themselves cant dimple. the clear is supposed to prevent the wood from dimpling, and it's not. we're not saying the clear itself is dimpling, just that proper clear prevents the wood from doing so.

#3994 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW you are really wrong; not trying to be a jerk about it but this has been discussed a million times; a steel ball will win against clear and against wood. It is just a matter how much crappy wood will compress... some recent playfields look like the moon.

it's the clear thats causing it, not the wood. all wood dimples.

#3995 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Lol- The clear coat on our cars paint jobs is to prevent door dings, right ?

if we were talking about cars you might have a point, but we're not.

drop a pinball from 2 inches on your car, does it leave a ding? didn't think so....

#4205 4 years ago

id be the first to say it looks awful but seems like a thing you really need to see in person. some angles in the videos look good just seems like bad exposure/lighting. sure this thing wont perform great under a lot of light but with a game like this i think a darkened room atmosphere is best anyway.

that being said it could still suck but we'll see. i dont hate the implementation tbh. keeps you from having to look up at the screen if done right and still has function.

#4207 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Look at the black speaker panels though.. the contrast, shadows and black level was modified in an app
Here, let's just make it better while we're at it lol[quoted image][quoted image]

wow, not a good look for mr. danger.

1 week later
#4826 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

Just played the premium. George Gomez and Gary Stern kindly hosted a group of us to give it a spin at EAG in London. As mentioned by others, the projection effect works really great. I was very impressed. Got straight on the phone to secure a premium. Great job Stern for bringing something fresh to the table. Top marks

How was the dimpling. Let me guess...totally normal craters "just like all games have had for all time"?

Then again you're an operator so I understand why you wouldn't care.

Game is tough as balls with no easy multiball and an unmakeable gorgon shot. Should be a cash cow on location.

#4830 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

5 easy shots to get to telekinesis MB. 3 of them return to a flipper.

um....you have to reactivate the lock shot every time so it's 9....unless they changed the code or i was playing a harder setting?

also the 2 whitewater shots to activate the lock are super dangerous, just like all the center targets and both the (lame as all hell) popouts.

#4831 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

Yes correct, normal dimples like every other pinball machine!
I’m a caring operator and compatible player FYI
The game is not particularly tough, demogorgon shot is not an issue if your aim is half decent. The pitch does need tweeking so it sinks into the mouth with ease. Hope that’s answered your questions

If you think that amount of dimpling after a days play is normal you are absolutely delusional and theres no real talking to you. I notice this is the current Stern talking point that sycophants have latched onto.

This amount of CRATERING is not normal.....I have eyeballs, I'm sorry?

#4835 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

Completely normal. Give it a few thousand plays and they join up. Job done!

Another delusional lie, BUT OK!!!!

#4836 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

First go around one set of targets lights all three locks. It’s always been that way. Double check your game. Not sure why anyone would change yours from stock.

Like I would ever own this 3rd rate garbage...

Location play only with new Stern.

I must've been just mistaken on the lock system, thought it was every time. Yes 5 shots is fine/easy.

1 month later
#7033 4 years ago

So anyway, I must say. I'm addicted as hell to this game. Plenty of access to every game and it's the only one I've been playing for about a month now. New update fixes the gorgon issue for the most part and bringing in level 2 mb adds another level to the game. Starting modes on the fly and nobody does a fan layout like Eddy. Psyched to checkout the UV action and projector.

Playfield issues aside, UV ripoff aside, I'm only playing this thing on location so I guess I don't personally care. Game shoots great and is only getting better, kinda like an upgraded Guardians.

#7058 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Dimpling seems like such a weird thing to get hung up on. Pooling and chipping is unacceptable, of course, but a metal ball striking a wooden surface imparts a force that has to go somewhere, and you can be sure a solid steel metal ball is going to win that battle 100 times out of 100.
Some playfields may be worse than others, but it will happen given enough time and action.

And this ladies and gentlemen, is a case study in why Stern continues to get away with this bullshit.

I heard a guys game blew up and killed his dog. Anything less than that is fine by me.

3 weeks later
#7124 4 years ago

The UV kit looks absolutely incredible in person. One of the coolest effects I've ever seen on a machine, hands down. It kind of blinds you and makes you look at the game differently, a lot easier to drain, but oh so appropriate. Why they didn't include this on the original machine I would love to know, must just be they didn't get it done in time. Cuz it is a wow-inducing moment for sure. Brings a huge smile to my face. So god damn cool.

Still pretty underwhelmed by the projector honestly, and telekenesis lock is pretty unimpressive even when it does work imo. But the UV stuff is really something else.

And I'm still seriously addicted to this game it's all I wanna play for months now and I have easy access to every modern game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
15,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Cruz, CA
$ 39.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider donkadelic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=donkadelic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.