IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1097 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

STH works for me.

I think STS has a better "ring" to it. Stranger ThingS = STS

#2235 4 years ago

Hmm, looks all right. Definitely has some positive traits, but something feels a little lacking, or a little off in some way. I think the big thing is the lack of period music from the show. At this point I think I kinda like the VPX table better, even though it has less depth. The VPX table does have the 80s soundtrack, which is big, and it has more frequent use of show clips.

Also, who directed David Harbour's voiceovers? A lot of the lines sound good, but "Jackpot!" needs waaaaaay more life to it. Just ask John Rhys-Davies how to callout a jackpot. There is a lot of potential though, especially as they add things with code updates.

Still, as with every pin. Playing is believing.

#2408 4 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

Why TF does stern keep going with there plastic ramps!?! Is it really that much more of a price hike to put those in?? If that’s the case then find a cheap license and go all in on everything else. You could justify that kind of money if they just blew it out of the park with what the designers really want the games to be.. I can’t imagine these legend designers being OK with these thin games.

Eh, I actually much prefer plastic ramps. Give me some ToM plastic ramp goodness all day!

#2664 4 years ago

Just watched Cary Hardy's stream-reaction video, and he made a great point on the playfield design. In order for the projector to work, the playfield had to be wide-open, otherwise the image would be blocked by whatever mechs or ramps that were in front of the projector. You need a clear line-of-sight for the projector to work. Makes sense now why they went this way with the design, after they decided that they wanted to do a projector.

#2890 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Again. Where are the total isolation modes on that matrix?

Aren't the Total Isolation modes what Stern is calling the Wizard modes?

3a08c81742def3a7f3cb6d7a766e77cb278ff3e6 (resized).jpeg3a08c81742def3a7f3cb6d7a766e77cb278ff3e6 (resized).jpeg
#2907 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

For real the demigorgin toy is fucking impossible to sail it into that thing. Hope there’s a fix or this will be like Bksor and get tossed into the garbage

Oooh, where is this mythical garbage can located? I like BKSoR quite a bit, and I would especially love a free one, even if it did have bits of old burrito or kleenex on it!

#3518 4 years ago

Man, no disrespect to those who are pushing for paid DLC for pinball, but that's literally one of the worst ideas I've heard in a looong time. If Stern released fully complete, deep, bug-free games at, or at least close-to, launch...then maybe.

But come-on...is there anyone here who really thinks Stern wouldn't abuse that system. I could easily see free updates, like the recent one that Ghostbusters got, suddenly costing money. And people are saying that they could charge $500 for that kind of thing! The fact that Stern will go back and continue to polish and update games, for free, years after initial release, is a big plus! That makes people want to keep buying Sterns, and generates good will. (Good will that they can spend on things like bad playfield clears!) What if Stern decides that routine bugfixes and code-completion updates are now deserving of a charge. Makes me sick to think of it.

Now I could support Stern charging for code-updates for much older games. Imagine if they ran kickstarters to pay for code updates for games like CSI, or Wheel of Fortune, or Avengers. I'd get behind something like that.

#3809 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Review:
I played it 20 times and never got the ball in the demagorgan. Its the hardest or most impossible shot in pinball.
The left kick out is pointless,it just spits the ball out to a plate near the building and serves no purpose?
The right side is the most disappinting. The ball doesn't flow down the loop and hits the the slings everytime. Very annoying and a really bad design.
However this could be the one of the best games in my book if it wasnt rushed, took their time and tested like other manufactures do before its produced.
Love the music and layout,code still needs work and more ball saves added. I have always wanted the sound from Tron or TNA , the play from a Star Trek and AFM. This game could have had it all but the design looks like it was rushed. I dislike the designers showing it off on stream like its easy because they played it a zillion times and are oblivious to the issues compared to regular people spending $10 and can't get the ball in the hole!

Hey Viggins, not sure if you've read through the thread or not, but based on dozens of reports, it seems like the demo-mouth shot difficulty varies by machine. It appears to be a setup issue more than anything else. The ease of the shot seems to depend on the slope of the table, levelness, and how the demo-toy itself is attached. Anecdotally, if the table is too steep, it will make the shot very difficult. Also, some players have reported that its easier to make the shot from a left-flipper trap.

So I don't think you need to be a pro or have tons of experience to make the demo-shot, you just have to have the machine setup just so. Cheers.

#3891 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah everybody here is a doctor, brilliant scientist, or lawyer.
It’s amazing with all the Mensa members here the amount of ink that gets spilled on the dimpling crisis. We never heard much about it until all the geniuses showed up - ignorance was bliss!

Did you ever stop to consider that maybe Stern's playfield quality (be it the wood and/or clear coat) could've gone down right around the same time as a lot of new people started getting into the hobby? Would explain why you never heard much about it before. Just a thought.

#4102 4 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Is that a joke?

Yeah, it almost looks like a real promo pic. It certainly has a Gary Stern early Data-East promotional advertising vibe! Brian Eddy looks a bit off in the picture, but I can't tell if its from a photoshop/deepfake job, or if it's just from the goofy sheriff's uniform and hat.

bb0a8d202f621ca4cf1f6987aafc3728f27cf1d4.jpeg (resized).jpgbb0a8d202f621ca4cf1f6987aafc3728f27cf1d4.jpeg (resized).jpg
1 week later
#5008 4 years ago

Watched the stream last night, and I gotta say I think the Pro is the way to go on this one. The projector worked well enough, but it doesn't change or add to the game in a really meaningful way. It has potential, but projector or not, the premium is basically the same game. And the magnet-lock is kind of a wash, because while the mech is cool, it makes the left ramp harder to hit. You can't backhand the left ramp on the premium/le, but you can on the pro, and they were even getting ramp rejections last night on the stream. Reminds me a bit of GB and its pro/premium ramp situation. Having seen both version of the game, I really wish they had changed the design of the demo-ramp on the pro model. It didn't need to be a perfect rectangle on the pro. Oh well.

Overall, I think this game seems to be more fun to play than to watch. I found myself losing interest about 45mins into the stream; which is unusual for me. I didn't lost interest at all on the most recent GB, JP2, or Elvira dead flip reveal-streams. But people who own it say they love the rules and how it plays, so it must be one of those gotta-play-it-yourself situations.

1 week later
#5482 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

The pressure fit design is a complete joke and whoever designed it should have a good talking too. It’s literally a problem that will occur on every machine out there that gets play. If this game has been in development for 2 years, how on earth did this not get found during their testing....seriously! I’ve seen these posts fly out within a day on location.
The same goes for that post on JP below the middle right flipper. The day I got my JP I looked underneath and laughed that it didn’t have a nut on it. That’s the first thing I did before routing it.
These issues are really just ‘common sense’ to anyone with a bit of mechanical knowledge. It’s totally insane that Stern can’t catch these issues before they roll out. Customers shouldn’t be the QC team. It only gives stern less credibility and less people will buy them over time (including myself who’s bought nearly every new stern since avengers)

Quoted from Lermods:

should have been a metal post, like it should have been on metallica. these games are rushed out so fast with incomplete code and mechs not properly tested. None of us should be having to mess with flipper settings and incline settings to find a sweet spot to hit the main shot in the game, that's really ridiculous. and the amount of airballs in this game because the flippers are too strong on stock settings should have easily been picked up by someone at Stern. the game will dimple much less with lower flipper settings, and actually is much more enjoyable to play.

Quoted from pinmister:

I disagree. These games have not been beta tested properly-not only with code but with factory defects-that should have been addressed prior to producing 100's on a run for sale to put on location and in homes.
I saw a post yesterday that got me feeling sorry for a fellow pinsider and a great operator. He has a SRT located 70 miles from his shop in another city. A known defect for the post sleeve pressure fitting coming off now has him having to send one of his techs to drive down to fix the problem. I figure probably two-to three hours of time spent? Does Stern offer a warranty claim ticket to such operators for such defects-no. Operators are the one's losing their time and money to repair these defects that should have been addressed with a few beta machines-not 100's on a set run schedule.[quoted image]

The "Ball Lock" Post can be disabled in the service menu. Don't have to worry about it falling out if it never goes up. Sadly, this seems to really be the only fool-proof solution. Some people even prefer how the pro plays with the ball-stop disabled. Game is a little faster/smoother since you're not waiting for the post to go back down.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakotamike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=dakotamike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.