IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#82 4 years ago

I don't love contemporary live action TV-themed pinball machine themes, they generally come off to me as cheap/tacky and age the worst of all pinball themes. I'd put

CSI
Sopranos

on that list, with Wheel of Fortune an honorable mention.

Game of Thrones (never seen an episode) works better as it comes off as a generic fantasy theme to those who aren't indoctrinated and it has good theme music. Same with Walking Dead, which is just a stand in for a generic Zombie theme.

Not an NIB buyer but can't say I'm too excited about another tv show theme for a show I've never seen before and don't plan on watching anytime soon. As this is the first streaming TV show theme released, I find it even weirder. These shows don't really have a year-round presence; they get released, everybody binge watches them for a week or two, and then they fade from the consciousness until a year or so later when the next season is released. Not sure that's a great model for a pinball theme.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

CSI was also on free network tv as opposed to ST on Netflix pay service

So what you are saying is...people generally consume TV differently in 2019 than they did in 2008? This isn't exactly news.

CSI is a live action TV show that was popular.
ST is a live action TV show that is popular.

You can get as bogged down in details as you want but I think they are a fair comparison, along with the other examples listed. ST isn't any kind of "cultural phenomenon" any more than Sopranos or CSI was.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Always loved andromeda’s pop down by the flipper.

No love for Satin Doll?!

OR Stellar Wars!

1 week later
#283 4 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

So now I've heard reports of games sitting at locations waiting to be unveiled from 3 different cities across the US... maybe there is something to these rumors, regardless, we know it is coming Stern, just show us what you have!

I can only assume cans of New Coke will be distributed at these locations as well!

#1285 4 years ago

My take on the Great Projector Freak Out of 2019:

No it won’t work in a super bright room but who plays pinball in a super bright room? You should be shot.

Yes it will look the best in a very dark room.

In the middle - your average location or game room - it’ll look good enough. Most of these places have what you would call “mood lighting.” I doubt any of these projections are particularly important / high detail, it’s for atmosphere and the gimmick will work well enough in most lighting situations.

#1288 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Me and bobukcat were talking about that. It’s either him or a voice actor that’s supposed to be him. I hope it’s him.

If you can’t tell the difference what does it matter.

#1414 4 years ago

Never change pinside.

Someone let me know when the projector bulb discussion is over please.

#1495 4 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

A big problem could be with the projector. Looks cool in a pitch black room but in a well lit room or bright playfield, it may look washed out.

Wow nobody has brought that up for discussion yet

It’ll look fine in most situations. It’s to create atmosphere it’s not going to have important info on it.

#1504 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

pardon me if im showing my ignorance, but doesnt almost every pinball machine look better in a dimly lit room?

Yes. It’s really a non issue for home buyers or almost any location.

People just bored and looking for something to bitch about a usual.

#1653 4 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

. I have absolutely zero doubt about this machine doing extremely well on route, but I don't see a huge amount of them ending up in homes.

This is a prediction you are basing on what your two children said?

These will end up in tons of homes like all new Stern games besides WWE.

#1664 4 years ago

Looks cool to me.

I hope they've figured out how to make a kickout hole that doesn't send the ball straight down the middle.

#1668 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It shoots it up the right inner orbit.

Oh thank god

#1679 4 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Quote from the release article: "And the Stranger Things machine probably won’t be cheap — on one dealer’s website, the cheapest version of the Jurassic Park machine cost an eye-watering $5,799, so assuming the Stranger Things machine is even in that ballpark, it will probably be pretty spendy."
And this is why it is a niche hobby...sigh.

There's like 5,000 reasons it's a niche hobby.

#1687 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Are you reading this as custom voice call-outs? It seems a bit ambiguous. It talks about custom scenes and a mix of speech from the show.[quoted image]

Not sure how anybody could interpret this as ambiguous.

The game will feature voice/speech/footage from the show, along with original animations/screen footage by the Stern team.

If there was original speech for the game from the show's actors, it would say that in plain English.

#1801 4 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

Same as Star Wars, has a sling instead of the third pop to save space. Don’t think we’ll see single lower pops as long as Gary’s around.

Nothing would compliment a classic Brian Eddy fan layout like a pop bumper right above a flipper blocking 2 of the shots.

#1810 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

That was my first impression. Jeesh. Disappointing.

So buy a premium?

#1816 4 years ago

On the fence. Shit tspp has more features than the premium.

So buy a TSPP?

#1823 4 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

The bash toy looks like a snatch...I’m sorry, but someone has to say it.

This is an old tradition on DE/Sega/Stern games.

LOTR's golden butthole
ID4's necrotic vag
Toaster-sized brain bug orifice monster on Star Ship Troopers.

#1863 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

2 for 1 special if you bring a dog.
Happy holidays![quoted image]

Is a game still considered HUO if it's been in a car with a dog?!

#1866 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Clearly... I think we need to start a thread to discuss this... cough cough cough.

Thinking about it...as long as the dog doesn't smoke it's probably OK.

#1906 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I think the projector is pretty cool and innovative. If it was up to me I would have kept the projector on the Pro and dropped the LCD..

Another day, another new entry in the Big Book of "If Pinside Ran Stern They'd Be Out of Business in a Month."

#1916 4 years ago

Wouldn't it be something if someone beat Stern to the punch with a stream?

Well Whysnow? Get streaming buddy!

#1981 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

New Carl Hardy impressions video is up, good watch. "Pro is the way to go".

Who is this guy and why would I care what his first impressions are?

There’s like 2 dozen of these guys now.

#2107 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i might go pro. has anybody mentioned how long the projector bulb lasts? you might not see it in a dark room and it will get out of focus. idk if it has been mentioned.

These issues should be explored!

#2302 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Brian said in the Stern podcast interview that he wanted his first game back in pinball to be a nod to his 90's games. I don't think that's a bad thing. I bet his second Stern game is different.

This is very typical of designers getting back in the game.

Nordman’s POTC was reminiscent of dr dude.

T3 was similar to t2.

RAZA / magic girl complete fucking messes like most jpop stuff.

It’s natural that these guys want to return in their comfort zone.

#2357 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Why are so many people down on this pin? Honest question.

It’s Christmas. People been cooped up in their homes with relatives they can’t stand, stressed out about any number of things. Their teenage niece keeps arguing with them about politics. Mother in law on your ass. Grandpa won’t shut the hell up about some Fight he’s having with his neighbor.

And of course the holidays can put people who don’t have any loved ones to commiserate with in a foul mood too. Hey, shitting all over Stranger Things is better than suicide or a mall rampage, for both you and society at large.

Plus - and this is a huge factor - this is the first chance the Rick and Morty cult has had to dump on a new release since they paid $1,500 for a game they won’t see in two years and haven’t seen a stream for yet.

It’s a perfect powder keg for over the top hatred. It doesn’t matter WHICH game was released, these rabid jackals we’re going to tear into it like your alcoholic uncle into the egg nog. There was more pent up energy here than the sexual tension between Diane and Sam at the cheers bar. And it had to be released!!!

As usual it’s representative of nothing. stranger things will sell like gang busters both here (the upside down) and in the real world, which pinside remains completely out of touch with.

#2362 4 years ago
Quoted from Rondogg:

Damn, when you're right you're right! 100% correct.

Leviissometimesright.com!

#2365 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You're projecting.

Yeah just like a rick and morty cultist to bring up the projector. Again. For the 500th time.

The projector will be fine goddammit! It’s not rocket science! It’s gonna be super fucking cool and everybody knows it.

If spooky did the projector it would have brilliant innovation. Kind of like how their space ship on a spring is perfectly cool and when stern does it on a game that costs $2,000 less it’s a war crime!

#2369 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So what you're saying is you didn't actually read the thread at all and talking out your ass.

No what I’m saying is you are owned.

I love “you didn’t read the thread” guys. I’ve read enough how much of that shit can you take?! I threw in the towel with the 600th dude saying “my big worry is the projector!!” And the 100th genius noting some of the video didn’t even have dialogue how could stern do that when we all know it’s going to get fixed.

#2372 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Right..go ahead and quote anything I stated that remotely has anything to do with what you said. Go ahead, we are all waiting.

Really? I’m going to need everybody to tell me they are waiting before I do that. You are a nobody.

#2374 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

So true about the Rick and Morty crowd. I love how patient and forgiving they are about all things Spooky but with Stern, it better be perfect, flawless, cheap, and on my porch in 5 minutes. It's all good to me. I would love to play RaM but will probably never see one. Look forward to seeing Stranger Things. They will sell well and be everywhere in a month or so.

You are going to have to find Zabroni saying that, and get it notarized. Well. We are all waiting!!!

#2377 4 years ago
Quoted from Snailman:

For those of you not interested in the always amusing sh!t-talking banter, and more interested in talking about how the game shoots and hash out the basic rules of the game, head over here: http://tiltforums.com/t/stranger-things-rulesheet-wip/6093/3
I'm looking forward to playing it.

Nobody here is interested in tilt forums. And it’s for the best, trust me.

#2380 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's funny watching an adult sling insults and lies on the internet, and expect people to take them seriously. Stand up people I'm sure.

It’s funny seeing adults get on a cross and playing the martyr over a pinball discussion. Perfectly socially adjusted people I’m sure.

#2391 4 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

The projector would have been a great idea on CFTBL.

Would have been tough to pull that off in 1993.

#2399 4 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I think “fake news” Levi was insinuating that he’s glad certain folks here stay off tilt vs. actually dogging it... but what the hell do I know, I’ve been angrily chugging egg nog and eating garbage food for the past few days and my parents won’t turn off the news and it’s cold as balls here and there’s no end in sight to this madness dear god will somebody fucking help me!!!
Actually, screw it. Let’s stir the pot. Crazy Levi hates the tilt forum fight fight fight!!!

I just don’t think these two groups mesh very well.

Every time the wall has been breached it’s been a bit of a disaster!

#2430 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

It’s a pinside tradition to hate every new game from designers who have had a couple successful games already.

I don’t care what anybody says.

Stream makes clear that Eddy still has the nicest head of hair in pinball.

#2548 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Stern monitors Pinside very closely through multiple employees per numerous insider reports over the years, they just do not participate on the site (or if they do they do not identify themselves).

If that’s true why haven’t they offered me a job yet?! Everybody knows how much I want to move to Chicago.

#2586 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Tournament players like to hold the balls indefinitely to set up shots. Games need to integrate point penalties for ball cradling. Easy enough to do. No ball hits + flipper held X over 1 second = start penalties.

Man this is a dumb idea. Like, even for pinside.

Hey you know what? For pro baseball we should make it that the batter isn’t allowed to hold his bat and needs to swing away at everything. It’s cheating otherwise. Nfl teams shouldn’t be allowed to huddle either. It’s dumb.

Dialed in throws a wrinkle into multiballs with the energy surge to the flippers. It’s cute but doing something like this all the time would ruin games and you wouldn’t see them in tournaments at all. Not sure how that helps anything.

There’s tons of ways to make tournament games play shorter that don’t involve such ridiculous ideas. Remove rubbers from posts, open outlanes, make the rules harder....anybody who actually plays in tournaments knows this. Stranger things will be a fine tournament game just like everything else and players will still be allowed to cradle the ball.

#2592 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

There is a timer for in between plays in NFL and timeouts. Actually adds a strategy element e.g. no huddle offense and so on. That is actually a real world application of the suggested concept.

Every time there’s a stream a bunch of people here who never play in big time tournaments lament how easy the game looks and how it will take hours to play in tournaments.

It’s simply not true. Bar league? Maybe but that’s bar league. Any real tournament with competent TDs the games will be setup appropriately

And if a game is too easy for you at home, you can do the same things. In my experience most home buyers WANT their games to be easy, because they think that’s what their kids, souses, and guests want.

#2601 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Makes sense, but most of my non-pinball friends don't enjoy playing, so I have a hard time keeping too many games around that aren't loved by pinballers. I find most non-pinball friends will appreciate the licenses/beauty, but ultimately have no interest in firing up a game.

Buying games for your family and friends is always a mistake. Nothing is gonna force these people to like pinball.

Buy what ya want!

#2711 4 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I've seen a lot of good ideas thrown out in this thread with magna flippers, ball save magna and even a BH style reversed lower playfield for the upside down [a reverse exact playfield of Munsters would have been great].
Having played the game, I wonder why Stern didn't consider any of this? The game is so vanilla.
I don't think a projector will make any difference. Next.

These are the same ideas everybody suggests for every pin.

Every theme is “perfect for magnets!!!”

Every game needs another bad upper or lower playfield.

Every game is too vanilla.

For a group of people who beg for “innovation” all the time, everybody seems to just want to see the same gimmicks from decades past over and over again.

#2757 4 years ago
Quoted from drained:

I really wanted to see magna style saves on in both of the outlanes and even the center drain.. would of been an emersive moment being saved by 11's powers in a Multiball.

Magna saves do not work effectively during multi ball. The balls stick together and one or both drain. Ask anybody who’s played a lot of Black Knight 3 and thought they were being cute.

#2758 4 years ago

Almost all the games I’ve bought/sold over the years were from watching YouTube gameplay videos. I know after a few minutes if it will be a game I entertain owning. You don’t have to play it first to know.

Buying games I’ve never played before is way more fun than playing games I’ve put a lot
Of time in. What’s better for home use than a new game?

#2760 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The WCS one works pretty good in MB. I use it from time to time to bring two balls to a trap.

Ha never thought to try that. And people say it’s absolutely useless!

#2872 4 years ago

Interesting to see actual reviews from people who have actually played it rather than just projector speculation.

We'll be getting a couple on location around here on Monday, hopefully I'll get to try it next week.

#2876 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’m in town the 29-31st. Where’s the best spot to come play it? I planned to go to sunshine or jackbar while there.

They will probably both get one on Monday.

#2895 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Mode or Event I would like to see coded in the Pre/LE for projector use.
Season 2 Ep.5
Eleven/Jane mom loop sequence.

The mode would have you shoot different shoots in accordance of audio call outs and projected visuals.
My thoughts:
1. Breath, mode or event starts; ball is locked. Playfield all black.
2. 3 to the right = 3 shots completed to the right ramp timed.
3. 4 to the left = 4 shots competed to the left ramp timed.
4. Rainbow = 1 shot to the spinner timed. Spinner shot has rainbow projected on it.
5. 450 . Drop targets light up with 450. Drop them to complete mode/event. Results in a huge pulsing light show and a 10 second Shaker to blow your mind.

Yes I'd love if the single most annoying thing in the entire 3 season run of the show were a featured mode in this game.

DON'T DO IT STERN!

#2897 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Already a mode in the game. One shot represents each of the lines. Have to complete them in a certain order for max points.

NOOOOOOO!

#2963 4 years ago
Quoted from PINQUEST:

Thanks Chuck! I Updated the code! Glad to see there is a bash switch. Still can’t kill the demogorgan via bash correct? I can’t hit that effing mouth for the life of me. Hope they eventually add X hits equals kill or something like that. I counted 16 shots in a row that looked dead on center and wouldn’t go in the damn mouth. Only issue I have with the game.

If it’s as bad as you guys say it is I think that software tweak will happen, like other poor design problems such as Gene on kiss.

#3053 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern has released almost every game massively unfinished. I mean, we could go back to Wheel of Fortune...but it’s still happening recently. Batman ‘66. Ghostbusters. GOTG. They do it because they can. NIB maniacs will still buy the games no matter what. What incentive to they have to release a finished product?

They are pros and are dedicated to greatness. They’ll finish the product like they always do.

A better question is why would anybody think they won’t eventually release a finished product? They always do.

I shit you not, I hear even a WWE code update is in the pipeline.

#3061 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

what about pioneers or Modern?
Or Rock Fantasy?

I would assume rock fantasy is getting one soon, pay attention to their Facebook page.

Modern I don’t think does the “buy every new stern” thing but you could call and ask them.

Jackbar and sunshine are a lock for Monday.

#3417 4 years ago

I played it. It’s fun. Leg levelers where about half way out in the rear and we had zero problems getting the ball to plunge deep in the orifice. The one set up a few blocks away I’m told that shot was impossible and the game was at max steepness, so that could be a clue for you forlorn no ballers.

Another fun game. It’s nice and fast and smooth.

Time will tell where it settles in the grand scheme of things.

I really had zero problems with the game. A couple in my party did; they were just repeating Facebook / pinside complaints they’ve seen about “cheapness” and “Plastic.” Kind of feel bad for them as the internet is slowly ruining their enjoyment of pinball.

My best games (over 100 mill) I was avoiding the center completely except for if I had it open by chance or during the lucrative upside down hurry ups. Every other shot is safer so why take the risk? Same way I play Afm. I played 5 or 6 games my best score was 270 mill (the GC. Game been on location only 1 day).

A friend of mine couldn’t resist the center strat and was consistently getting the second demo which is a 2 ball multi. He was getting decent scores but I wasn’t digging that style of play. In all my games I only opened the demo once, I was more focused on all the other shots.

I’d agree the big flat billboard looks a little funny at first glance but when it opens the lighting effect was really cool. I liked all the lighting and the way the game looks. It’s stranger things and has lots of stranger things stuff on it.

I think if you are looking for things to hate about it you’ll have no problem coming up with stuff to hate about it. If you bought it and want to like it, you’ll be really happy with it. It’s fun now, has an excellent presentation, and will get loads better as code matures.

So everybody’s happy!

#3420 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What's your opinion on curb appeal vs. Star Wars for location play w/ casuals?

It’s easier than Star Wars at first glance so I’d guess more play appeal, but Star Wars is Star Wars and as the awful new movie that made 900 billion shows there’s few things with more appeal.

I can’t say which game is better as I know and like Star Wars with complete code and I’ve played this new game 6 times.

#3459 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

EA makes video games!!
These are pinball machines!!!!
You of all people should realize the massive and multiple differences in the product, market, and companies.
Maybe it’s because you’re an engineer and not a creative that you can’t comprehend the differences? You know who else is an engineer who was convinced he was right that pinball needed to be a platform with paid apps? Gerry from P3. I see the similarity with you two.

Darscot's been giving us all terrible advice about the software industry for years. Remember when he claimed that hiring more people wouldn't help Stern produce more code updates?

#3476 4 years ago

paid DLC is one of those “works in video games, doesn’t work in pinball” things people love talking about, like online competitive play.

As long as the pinball home buyer base is what it is - old and stubborn - this will never be a thing.

The natives are restless about a $700 toppers and their place in line on a spooky game. They’d riot at the mention of paid code.

I doubt it would be worth manufacturers’ trouble either. Add two seasons worth of code to stranger things so some home buyers bite with a few hundred bucks? Why waste time and effort on that. Better to just invest the time on a NEW game that the same home owners will buy anyway, along with ops as well.

#3483 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

Any collectors or locations have this game yet in the Phoenix valley are?
The reviews are a bit all over the place and really want to check it out for myself.
Also, any locations in NYC? I’m going to be there in a few weeks and if there’s one on location there would go check it out.
Thanks

Brooklyn has two, sunshine laundromat and Jackbar. Enjoy.

#3489 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Yet it's the same audience that spends how much on dolls, displays, and other gizmos to customize their games after they bought it.
You don't think they'd pay for actual game play additions?

I think they would react violently to paying for code updates.

I think people who own the latest ghostbusters and are whining incessantly about where’s our code will riot if another month goes by without one, but you can buy new code for a 6 year old game.

I think resources will be better spent (ie more profitable) for Stern (let’s just say stern, who else has resources to do this) than on new code, which remains difficult and time consuming even though people here think it can be tossed off in a weekend.

Just a hunch. I don’t think it would work for anybody in pinball. Could be wrong. You can’t overlook how much people loathe and resent stern around here; yeah they’ll pay money for mods and dolls, but they’d prefer these come from anybody besides Stern. For some reason that’s more acceptable to people.

#3570 4 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

Back on topic, anyone experienced a shaker motor on the stranger things pro model yet?

Yes played it today.

Spoilers:

The game shakes sometimes.

Playing it a bit more, it’s def in the Aerosmith,GOTG family of games. If you like that style of game, you’ll like this. If you don’t, and prefer Elwin style of games, you probably won’t.

I like the game well enough but for me the entire center is just to be avoided. Shoot the safe shots, get multiball, go through modes, get total isolation. The theme is implemented well, it’s all very stranger things. It’s fast and pretty smooth.

Bonus can also get a little out of hand currently. I had a 600 million bonus en route to a 950 million GC.

Everybody keeps comparing this to AFM
For some
Reason. Well, Afm is better, but that’s true for pretty much every game.

#3602 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I was just at sunshine this last Saturday into Sunday - they did not have stranger things in rotation then... guess I just missed it.

They came in on Monday.

#3618 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Drop a ball on the PF and increase the height one inch for each drop. The dimple grows as the height increases. One inch looking like a speck of dust up to a groove you can feel with your finger. Do this under the apron close to the PF graphics, some clearcoaters are for obvious reasons not a detail oriented underneath the apron.

Or don't and just play pinball.

Why does this nonsense refuse to die? Put away your magnifying glasses, and take out your dollar bills and flip.

#3622 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Because older playfields didn’t crater & turn into lumps. New ones do & cost $6k-$15k.

The playfields haven't changed. You have.

Try to remember when pinball was fun.

#3640 4 years ago
Quoted from Iwasthebruce:

Got to play the Pro version on site yesterday, here are my first impressions after several plays:
-High risk targets are worthless as far as points go, just stick to the ramps.
-Like y'all have been discussing, it may be a setup issue...but I found the demogorgan shot impossible, so did my wife, and so did the other few people we watched play. I had to have made 3 dozen attempts and didn't sink it once.
-Current code is Alpha at best, the few callouts there are are not balanced with the music (Ball save callout is super loud compared to music that can barely be heard).
-Playfield looks like garbage! Dozens upon dozens of what appear to be bubbles or pit marks, clearly some really poor clearcoat, see the photos below.
-Ball doesn't seem to exit from the right orbit very smoothly the majority of the time.
-Least satisfying ball lock...ever...
I will say this, the video clips, other than the cheesy demogorgan coming through the wallpaper, are pretty cool and well done.
I really wanted to dig on this title, especially with the theme and all. Hopefully some code revisions will fix the unbalanced scoring issue and add actual callouts. Maybe I'll get a chance to play a prem/le sometime, but the pro title leaves a lot to be desired.
[quoted image][quoted image]

These tiny little pin pricks are what you guys are getting all worked up about? Looks fine to me.

Dimpling isn't real. You guys are all insane, and ruining pinball.

#3865 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I am a physician... I'd wager my intellect is far beyond the realm of "dumb." Probably not as mighty as your mental prowess, of course. Something as trivial as discussing characteristics of modern playfields should not bother someone with a stable mood and congruent affect.
Hyperbole aside, nobody is freaking out. If your attention spanned the entire post you would see I wrote that this is probably normal for the speed of the game along with the number of airballs. To all that were enjoying Stonehedge in Akron tonight, the craters were very noticeable.
I saw other people here on Pinside posting pictures of the golfballesque playfield and thought it would be good for posterity's sake to add to the collection.
Pinside would be a much better place without divisiveness and personal attacks.

Yeah everybody here is a doctor, brilliant scientist, or lawyer.

It’s amazing with all the Mensa members here the amount of ink that gets spilled on the dimpling crisis. We never heard much about it until all the geniuses showed up - ignorance was bliss!

#3875 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Bro, it's just mountain of a mole hill type stuff...There are dimples on this game; do I care when I'm pressing play 30 times a day??? Hell no!! I haven't had this much fun with a pin in a long time; it's a thrill ride.
And bringing occupation into this, is totally unnecessary...Shall we compare income when discussing these matters as well???
If you have a problem with the dimples; don't buy the pin!! Don't support Stern!!! While you are at it, write Gary Stern personally to discuss the matter. Because besides that; they will continue to sell a ton of pins to operators and home buyers.

Or, since he’s so fabulously wealthy, brilliant, and successful, he could start his own dimple-proof pinball company!

Pretty much all of the other fabulously wealthy and successful people here are doing it!

#3911 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Did you ever stop to consider that maybe Stern's playfield quality (be it the wood and/or clear coat) could've gone down right around the same time as a lot of new people started getting into the hobby? Would explain why you never heard much about it before. Just a thought.

BBBDEF90-3F97-45B9-B611-AD2C7C286E84 (resized).jpegBBBDEF90-3F97-45B9-B611-AD2C7C286E84 (resized).jpeg
#3963 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You'd think all these pinheads who demand pics without the glass on market ads would understand that...

Whenever I think I'll never see anything dumber than what I've seen posted here before, some dark horse always comes from the back of the pack to destroy the field.

I'd venture to say no pinball flyer or promo in 50 years has featured a game with the playfield glass installed. That may be the slightest hyperbole, but it would certainly be a statistically irrelevant anomaly. In 15 years selling games semi-professionally, I've taken pictures of hundreds of games, and maybe twice featured playfield shots with the glass installed due to extreme laziness, a temporarily broken lockdown bar lever, or just an old-fashioned hangover. When you are trying to sell a pinball machine, it looks better with the glass off, simple as that.

You'd think with the waves of brilliant and wealthy doctors, lawyers, scientists, and internationally recognized intellectual geniuses who have been signing up for Pinside daily this place would be getting smarter, but it just seems to be the opposite. And it makes baby Jesus cry.

#3965 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

The projector is such a cool idea and I think it will look awesome with tons of amazing mode variables.
My only concern is ball marks and lines on those perfect white backings, I just can't see how they expect it to hold up ?

You don't see how a bunch of white stickers will hold up? I have games that are 40 years old that have old stickers on drop targets. They are a little dirty. They have faint dirt lines, pretty much at a uniform spot where the ball hits them. They are still fine. If I want new ones, I can spend about 50 cents a sticker and replace them.

I have a hunch this is a non-issue, and Stern will probably include spares of any exposed stickers like they always do, which can safely live in your HUO goodie bag for the next 20 years, providing you with the womb-like, comforting piece of mind that comes with knowing that decades from now when your stickers are in such bad shape that a dirty line is visibly distracting in your projected image, you can refresh them.

#3972 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Agree non issue. If they get a little dirty after a butt load of plays wipe clean with Pinguard in 5 seconds. This thread is nearly unbearable.

We are talking about WHITE STICKERS. Literally the easiest and cheapest single piece of any pinball machine ever made to reproduce. Probably the easiest and cheapest single thing to reproduce in the history of anything in the known universe that anybody has ever needed to reproduce.

WHY WOULD ANYBODY EVEN RAISE THIS AS AN ISSUE?!?!?!?!

I'd wager to bet 95 percent of the people here could "reproduce" these with a white sticker sheet and an exacto knife or pair of scissors while also folding their laundry.

#3975 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Clear plastic mylar material is shiny. Literally every projector screen in the world is matte finish for a reason. Glossy surfaces will glare and obscure the image. A regular flat white label sticker would be exactly what you want. Someone with a Silhouette Cameo could cut these to exact dimensions on a sheet in about 3 minutes and sell them.

Well, for what Stern is charging these days the white stickers should self-clean at weekly intervals, or perhaps be covered in some sort of formulated space-age polymer which repulses dirt so the ball never leaves a mark. Where's the innovation?!?!?!?!

#3978 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Because people who are actually interested in purchasing a NIB pinball machine are concerned about it.

They are not "concerned about it." They likely aren't considering purchasing the NIB pinball either. Nobody who has any experience buying NIB pinball machines, or any other pinball machine in fact, would seriously raise "white stickers might get dirty" as an issue. People are just doing it to keep up with the joneses when it comes to irrelevant complaints about non-existent "potential issues."

Pinside has simply become a pissing contest to see who can come up with the dumbest possible critique about something that doesn't matter at all, to anybody. It's a contest in which there are no winners. You should be berating them for clogging up your precious thread with nonsense instead of giving me the "why are you so mean?" speech.

#3981 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes projection mapping is awesome. But when say Magic Kingdom does it its in a controlled dark environment, with minimal light pollution, and they're using INSANE amounts of power.

Anybody who saw Roger Waters' Wall show 10 years back can attest to how awesome this shit can be. Lots of potential there in pinball if they can get it right.

#3987 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So what you are trying to say is you agree with me, pictures without the glass are better.

Not trying to say it, it's what I said, literally.

#4003 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You remind me of my 3rd grade teacher who made my face red when asking her if I can use the bathroom and she responded...”well can you”

Your third grade teacher was a hero!

#4009 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I asked "may I go and wash my hands please" and the teacher said we have sink in the classrom for that...
...next of I began to get ready to take a dump in the sink when the teacher learned he'd better not mess with me.
100% true story.

Wrong thread dude posts about inappropriate public defecation go in the "SF Stops arcade" thread.

#4022 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Showed up at wired.com.
Hint: The projector doesn't work well with spot lights.
[quoted image]

It is mind-boggling nobody thought to provide some cover on this this thing. If drunks at a tailgate party can figure it out I’m pretty sure they could have.

Maybe someone can pick up a Raiders tarp on the way over there.

#4044 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I only played a handful of games on my local Stranger Things before it broke. But, I see a lot of people talking about air balls. Where are the air balls originating from? Is it the standup targets? Would different brackets (like Swink's Ghostbuster brackets) help with the air balls? Or are people seeing them more from the ramp or some other place?

Any modern game with drop targets that close to the flippers at a straight ahead angle is going to have a lot of airballs. There's nothing you can do about it and really no reason to care that it's happening. It's pinball.

#4106 4 years ago
Quoted from ctl723:

Unfortunately, can't even see anything on the projected screen.

Yeah shocker, considering the photographer is clearly using a flash or a spotlight.

#4261 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

The unfiltered image Jack posted actually makes the projector look better.
As for Multiballmaniac1...I swear he was in several other threads for the last year proclaiming he would never buy a Stern due to quality issues. I kind of doubt he actually had an LE on order. Just ignore him.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah ole multiballmaniac been "buying" stern LEs just to cancel them for about two years now. He's one of the weirdest pinsiders and that's saying something.

Remember his hourly Deeproot thread bumps?

I'd like to announce that I'm so impressed with Stranger Things LE I'm placing 15 orders so I can have one in every room in every family members' home on the east coast. These proclamations are official, right?

#4282 4 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Or put another way, whatever the screen looks like when the projector is off- that is your black level at best.
I can’t envision a play environment where that screen looks remotely black.

I think maybe they just need to take a different approach with the screen.
none (resized).jpgnone (resized).jpg

black.gifblack.gif
#4284 4 years ago

Oy vey, I just cancelled my tmnt le.

So you are borscht belt now?! Plot twist!

This guy is meshugena!

#4286 4 years ago

2020 will be the best year in pinball releases.

Will you be ordering and cancelling all deep root games or just sticking with the Stern LE plan?

Oy vey!

#4425 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You know, folks, this really isn’t that complicated. Stern isn’t creating a cure for cancer, they’re building games in a wood box. They’re a manufacturer of entertainment and they have to sell to stay in business.
Are you really surprised that they wouldn’t want this particular game streamed in that environment? Come on... and who really ultimately cares???
Here’s a basic primer for all of you so you can stop your bitching and start caring about things that actual matter in this world:
(1) Stranger Things has a projector. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.
(2) Stern can discuss or not discuss... show or not show... anything it wants when it comes to its products. That includes game materials, technologies, product defects... anything. If you don’t like it, don’t buy.
(3) 99.99% of people on this planet don’t give a flying F about Stranger Things pinball and the projector.
Scanning through some of the posts in this thread is borderline scary. I think quite a few of you need to get a grip on reality. None of this anger and heated discussion is worth it. It’s just so toxic. You’re talking about a pinball machine for crying out loud! Get over it

It's a double-edged sword.

Yes, an alarmingly increasing number of people here are absolutely out of their fucking minds when it comes to this stuff. Like, borderline "they should be locked up" insane.

But, that's the kind of mentally imbalanced populace Stern needs to thrive in this bold new business of selling pinball machines to lunatics.

Pinball home ownership is such a new thing. Like, imagine if for 70 years, the only places that could afford and house toasters were institutions or commercial establishments. And then, suddenly, toasters became small enough and affordable enough for your average schmoe to consider buying, and then the schmoe floodgates quickly opened; it would be a strange, awkward transition as toaster manufacturers - unaccustomed to selling toasters to people who might get upset at a minor defect in the finish, or become suicidal because their "dream toaster" isn't executed to their liking, or get upset about normal wear and tear, or the fact that the same toaster they've been happily selling for decades suddenly isn't "innovative" enough - try to adapt to this new broadened marketplace while also taking advantage of it.

I'm not sure where it ends up, but I know this: I will be keeping abreast of the Macho Pinball Podcast Pinball Podcast to observe this long, strange trip.

#4427 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Toastergument is a new one. Prefer the cargument to be honest. I find all this very entertaining to be honest. There seems to be some urgency to determine whether the pin and the projector are any good. It just highlights how silly this hobby is when people gamble huge money on toys hoping they will be good enough to warrant such a high cost. If not good enough, there is hell to be paid because Stern is greedy and stole your money lol.

Look I'm the expert on carguments. I INVENTED the term for Christ's sake!

But the toastergument is more apt, as the very first toasters were in fact commercial devices, whilst cars have always been available and marketed to the general public!

OHHHH YEAHHHHHH

#4433 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

But but but but why don’t toasters have WiFi so we can make toast with other people at the same time!!!!!! Imagine making toast with your friends!!! Cuz breakfast should be a Fortnite!!!!

Heaven help us

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/04/griffin-connects-your-toast-to-your-phone/

#4435 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

uh bruh LOL
https://uncrate.com/toasteroid-toaster/
edit: saw Levi beat me to another one lol

This one has graphic capabilities?!?!?!

Innovation off the chart. Seems to work better than a projector, but I don't think homeowners want images burned into their walls and ceilings.

#4441 4 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

did you see this??

Definitely amusing though I don't know if it warrants the 18 question marks you gave it.

Tickles my funny bone as I was once shooed away from filming an unreleased Stern game, Star Wars in Wembley, England a few years ago. I recognize that "don't film" tone from Gary!!!

It's cool though, he plied me with free booze and food so I took it in stride.

#4442 4 years ago

You dimpling people are seriously losing your minds. I just don't get it.

Every single pinball machine ever made "dimples" and "craters" and then "waves." it's normal wear and tear. Why can't you get this through your stubbornly thick noggins?

Here's two random shots of two random games in my shop that I just pulled off my phone and cropped. Every close up pic of any pinball machine that has been played will look exactly like this. Both of these games present and play beautifully and look gorgeous with the human eye connected to a sane brain.

STOP IT! You guys are ruining pinball.
4CA017B4-3C15-4994-8D55-A4752523E29E (resized).jpeg4CA017B4-3C15-4994-8D55-A4752523E29E (resized).jpeg775F4CA7-82E0-46B2-A480-2AAC0496A07B (resized).png775F4CA7-82E0-46B2-A480-2AAC0496A07B (resized).png

#4452 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Exactly. These games are 25 years old. Stranger Things is less than 1 month. Come on CrazyLevi, you are crazy.

Please show me a pic of a 1 month old playfield no good gofers so we can compare.

The point is you are all crazy and wood is wood and all pinball games look like this eventually. You are ruining pinball with this nonsense by corrupting the minds of untold numbers of clueless, impressionable newbies who are obsessed with a complete non issue.

Stop it!

#4455 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My NGG had less than 200 plays on it when I bought it. That's an equivalent. Zero craters.
My STTNG was NIB. As I've played it for the past decade, it still looks perfect. Not one crater or dimple for that matter...and that's with cannons shooting balls all over the place.
Stop gaslighting people.

Pics please? Not gonna take your crater-obsessed word for it.

You can even take a pic by gaslight to show us how awesome it looked with 200 plays on it.

#4459 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Gaslighting lying troll. Having no interest in liars or tournaments, this is the last time we shall speak. *CLICK*

Yeah like the last 10 times.

Is anybody around here more full of shit than rarehero when it comes to announcing drains and ignores?

#4465 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Why is it so hard for people to believe that dimpling is normal?
Equally why is it so hard for people to believe that some playfields were made out out superior hard wood and do dimple way less than cheap junk?
Virtually everything is less well made than it used to be, so why would pinball be any different?

I just don't understand why any of it matters.

My 20 year old routed NGG playfield looks the same as my 10 year old HUO Rolling Stones, and a two-year old Star Wars at a bar nearby looks the same as both of them. And what any of these games allegedly looked like a month out of the box is as unprovable as it is irrelevant, since they all look the same now.

Much as how we all have to face our own mortality, pinball machines are not and never will be free of the surly bonds of aging. It's the tragedy of Human Pincondition.

#4498 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

seeing this allow me to get to my main complaint: I don't need another movie screen.
Give me a great mech instead.
i rather have 4 awesome mechs than 4 playfield screens, for example. This additional screen/projector thing is not pinball.

Ladies and gentleman, exhibit A for why the “innovation” everybody says they clamor for is pointless.

People say they want “innovation” but they have zero idea what that actually means.

#4500 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

where did I ever say I wanted Innovation.
Levi, I drink traditional beer, not the fancy schmancy fish-taco-lager-with-pineapple that you suspect I prefer

Sum bitch!!!

Everybody knows I drink straight bourbon. Ask iceman what I like!

Beer is for the weak!

#4515 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Something tells me BOM or bake time were non issues on this one.
Quality.... Mechs.....Assets.....
The bar was set long ago.[quoted image]

If you had any interest at all in history you’d know that game was a disaster and sold on strength of TAF. They had issues instantly on location, didn’t make ops any money, and taught Williams a lesson about “BOM.” You can’t make games like TZ and stay in business.

Pinball, which peaked with Addams, started to decline with the release of TZ. There’s a reason you could pick them up for $900 in the late 90s.

#4516 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Had a good game on a Stranger Things pro today new code and it's gone lol Second isolation mode was cool to see the other two and final showdown where not coded in yet which I figured. Does anyone know if the new code released today might have added some of those modes or still too early for that.[quoted image]

Goddamn this kid can play!

My best is 950 mil.

#4519 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

I was there genius. Of course TZ had issues but it was true pinball AMBITION. It was what you shoot for. I am more of a TAF person myself in part because of its incredible reliability. A perfect pin for me. And it certainly was not the pins like TZ and TAF that were the reason for the decline in pinball. It was video games. I was in my 20’s and always in an arcade in the 90’s. The pinball section got smaller and smaller. Then poof! Everyone went indoors to play XBox. I am well aware of what went down. Apparently you are rewriting history.........

Pinball should “shoot for” staying in business. Games like TZ were counter to that goal in the 90s, and even more so today.

I’m not “rewriting history.” Games like TZ taught ops they should stop buying pinball machines.

If pinside ran stern they’d be out of business in a year.

#4619 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Levee is the correct pronunciation

he’s right you know. Rhymes with Chevy.

#4742 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Looks pretty damn good to me. I think a lot of people are gonna be sorry they backed out.

Or they’ll just back right in.

Stern pre orders are kind of meaningless since they are apparently refundable if you read a pinside comment that rocks your world and you change your mind. Preorders exist mostly now for people to either hype themselves up on a game they’ll have in a few weeks, or so they have something they can cancel in a huff to protest whatever injustice against humanity they think stern is committing this week.

#4807 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Except it being the super jackpot and 2x scoring shot... yes totally worth avoiding... *rolleyes*

I’ve yet to have a single drain I can remember due to that kickout. The stern kick outs that send the ball toward the flippers seem worse.

2x scoring and supers indeed worth shooting for.

#4838 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

It should have a Billy mode where you have to “collect” Hawkins Housewives to complete the mode.[quoted image]

I found Billy to be the most annoying character in this show's history.

So he's a heavy metal burnout who drives a Camaro? Ok, we all knew guys like that.

But wait...he's also a big time "karate kid bad guy" jock who rules the basketball court and brutalizes dweebs with his athletic prowess?

Also found his teary death scene out of place...the guy was a huge abusive douche and we never saw an inkling of kindness or any sort of affection between Max and himself. Like, good riddance bro!

Seems like they wanted two wildly different characters but only had time for one.

#4856 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Everytime Steve Ritchie came up to play he'd say something about "can't hear it". It was sad.

Steve can't hear anything.

#4869 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapiru:

Any word on the pooling or dimpling thus far?

hasn't been brought up

Quoted from Shapiru:

additional worries about the projection screen color and fading colors you won't see in a bright room

This is also something that hasn't been discussed at all. Good on you for having the courage to bring this issue to our attention!

#4981 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

The Premium and LE order books will be as slow as this after-stream thread.
Cannot remember one Stern Stream Reveal that caused only a page of ensuing posts.........

The game was revealed a month ago and we've been discussing this game for 100 pages. Everything that needs to be said has been said dozens of times by the same 10 people.

If the projector "reveal" had been a disaster it may have been a little more rambunctious in here with gloating but what with it apparently working perfectly well I don't see why you'd expect a flurry of new activity.

#4997 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapiru:

Not a boomer. Just a critical thinker. Try it some time.

Yeah, you questioning the value of "LOL" definitely puts you up there with Freud, Einstein, and Galilelo in the pantheon of great critical thinkers in history. Keep it up, for the good of mankind.

#5017 4 years ago

I'm still trying to reconcile the idea that typing "LOL" is an act of idiocy while typing "cuck" is an act of critical thinking genius.

I'm also trying to figure out who this guy was before he was Shapriu; dudes like that don't just pop out of thin air. Seems kind of familiar.

#5033 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yet, you already bought it. What inventive do they have to do better?
Cancel your order. Buy it when it’s an acceptable product for the price.

plot twist:

He's buying it because he wants to own it.

#5058 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Man that’s awful. They’re sending me a new motor and another board just in case. Hopefully be here early next week.

Sounds like they are going out of their way to help you out. Excellent service!

#5063 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I just don’t get it. Yes I’m new to the hobby in the aspect of OWNING a machine. But where is the QC on these machines? I just don’t accept it as being status quo, it is what it is, whatever. We spend a lot of HARD EARNED money for these things NOT to work out of the box. To me, as a consumer, it’s unacceptable. Will I ever buy another NIB machine. Doubtful. And if I do, I’ll wait for all the problems to get ironed out first. Just my 2 cents. I know I’ll probly get roasted for my opinions. But oh well. It’s how I feel. I love the game though.

Why are you yelling at us about this? I think you’ll find your “pinball machines shouldn’t break” opinion isn’t really that controversial and most would agree with you.

You should be chewing out stern for selling you this lemon, not us!

Have you inquired about sending the machine back and getting a refund?

#5078 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

You’re probably right. I shouldn’t have bought it. I only pulled the trigger because I wasn’t aware of the quality issues beforehand. Lesson learned, I guess.

Damn this is really bringing the room down.

Let’s try to cheer this dude up!

I think it’s gonna be ok! Sounds like maybe you have a bad motor which is cornholing your node board. So replacing both should help!

In the meantime, stop grumbling to your wife which is obviously making things worse. Just disable the ramp thingee and play the game, its perfectly Playable without that feature. Tell your wife it’s working fine and she’ll get off your back.

Also whatever you do, don’t search “dimpling” on this site.

Deep breaths my man! Better days are soon ahead.

#5082 4 years ago

A year from now the guy will have 3 pins and realize he was being a baby.

#5314 4 years ago

Mods - the devil's work.

The first response of every odd tech issue post should be "did the problem start after you installed some mods."

#5358 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Like most things nowadays spike is a disposable system and has a limited shelf life.

You just described every single digital pinball system, ever designed and mass produced, from 1976-today.

#5359 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Well like I said. No more mods after all this over with. I’m putting her back to stock tomorrow morning. That’s it

You might want to edit your original post where you lambast Stern for its terrible quality and profess intense regret for buying the machine, and warn others that if they do the same they are probably gonna get stuck with a lemon. There's enough baseless scares being thrown out there to NIB buyers these days without an army of newbies being convinced if they buy Stranger Things their ramp will stop working on the reg.

#5366 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

I don’t recall ever saying not to buy one because u might get a lemon. Can u screen grab that and show me that I said that?

You said the QC was horrible, they don't know what they are doing, your $6000 toy purchase is turning out to be a disaster, your wife is pissed, and you may have made a terrible mistake in buying a NIB pinball machine. All because of an issue that was YOUR fault, not Stern's, because you are a total newbie who is unable to install mods without breaking your pinball machine.

I'm paraphrasing here but that was the gist of it - that Stern ruined your life and stole $6,000 from you. You don't think maybe you could at least clean up that original post to indicate the problem was in fact because you put 3rd party aftermarket mods in the game and not because Stern is worse than Hitler?

I'd probably put an edit in that original post, but that's just me.

#5368 4 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Don't worry about Levi, he is one of the resident trolls and needs to be fed every 2 hours here on the forum

Christ what is it with you? You Troll ALL THE TIME, it's the only reason you are even in this thread. When you are so witless your best burn is to call people trolls, you should reconsider your pinside efforts and whether or not you have more to offer us.

The day I can't come up with a better rebuttal than "you are a troll!!!!" is the day I retire from here. Be best, Dergoetz!

#5372 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Hey Levi , I just posted an update about the mods. I removed them from my system totally and the ramp is still malfunctioning. So. Yeah.

Well we remain eager to help. Have you replaced the broken parts since you removed all of the mods?

#5376 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Well it seems like it may not have been the mods at all Levi. I removed them completely and it’s still having the same issue. So what’re your thoughts now ?

My thoughts are that you may have damaged the boards with your mods.

My thoughts are also that you are always thinking about 4 steps ahead on this issue, and just have to be a little more patient.

My thoughts are install the new stuff stern is sending you, without the mods, and see what happens, and go from there.

My final thought is you should look into returning the game and getting your money back, or at least look into it, so you have a possible out if this nagging problem doesn't go away. At the very least see if your distributor or stern will consider a machine swap. If the new boards don't fix it I think all parties involved would be amenable to this option. Nobody else has described this issue so it's entirely possibly you were the unlucky recipient of a lemon.

#5380 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

And how exactly would his speaker lights and shaker damage his ramp motor? These are plug and play mods, not like he soldered them on or had to move stuff around. The lights and shaker work I believe. Most likely, he’s got a bad ramp motor or issue on the node board that controls the ramp motor. Since it’s never worked out of the box, it likely was defective from the factory. It happens.

Any time you introduce alligator clips into a game, shit can happen. I have a friend who was baffled as to why his left flipper was sticking up on his walking dead. After about 30 minutes of the basic diagnosing for this problem, I asked if he had installed a mod. He had, some backbox lighting kit. He was shorting something on the board, he removed the mod as per my suggestions, and the flipper issue disappeared.

Mods draw power too. Could cause an issue? Another friend, an op, had a GHostbusters on location that kept resetting during games. Tons of mods, lighting kits, etc. Removed them all and the issue stopped.

I've seen games with tons of mods on them and the underside of the playfield and/or boards are a rats nest of alligator clips and wires. You can pretend that doesn't introduce the possibility of screwing up a perfectly working game but I don't buy it - especially when a large percentage of your mod installers are newbies who really doesn't even understand the basics of how all this stuff works and the dangers of shorts.

I'm not against mods per se even if they are not my cup of tea, I think you folks who are making a living or a healthy side income on this stuff are clever and entrepreneurial. But maybe it's time to start designing these less to be easy to install and a little more "you may need to learn the most basic electronic skills" to install in a cleaner, neater way.

#5381 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

But yeah. We’ll see what happens. Y-O-U know I’ll keep Y-O-U all updated.

LMAO

say what you will about this guy but he's a sport!

#5387 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

We are talking about a plug in shaker and plug in speaker lights that Doug said used a separate power supply. The bad shakers from a while back were causing slam tilt issues and resets I believe. Stern sent out capacitors, but now those are built into the game. I cannot 100% say the shaker is not at fault, but that’s not where I’d be starting. Start with motor and motor board. I do agree that I’d not plug anything in until he gets the ramp working. Then, one by one, add the mods you want and see what happens.

Reasonable and prudent. Let's get a beer!

#5409 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

This is the worst new Stern release thread in the history of Pinside.

If people keep posting in these poor quality Stern release threads, what incentive does Stern have to make these release threads better?

YOU are the problem pinside!!!

#5461 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

I cannot understand why they release games like this...it's like buying a car but up till now you can only do 30 miles per hour, next month maybe 50 and within a year you'll be able to go 100

It's early but leading candidate for "Worst Cargument of the Year."

The WCOTY is always competitive but congrats on the early lead!

#5559 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Wtf? 3 posts only.
He’s like the Mystery Lyman Avenger. Mysteriously parachutes into Pinside, corrects mistruths about Lyman and (presumably) disappears as fast as he arrived.
Don’t listen to him chuckwurt . Stand up to him!!!!!

WHY DOESN"T ANYBODY FROM STERN EVER POST HERE?!?!

[dude from stern posts here]

GET HIM PEOPLE! GET HIM!

#5608 4 years ago

113 pages and you guys are FINALLY coming around to the idea that it looks more like a toothy butthole than a vagina?

Wow. Thank god nobody here has any idea what a clitoris looks like so that didn’t also get thrown into the mix!

#5612 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

I'll have to check these out!
Maybe there some secret competition with these designers on who can make the ugliest vagina/butthole monster toy...

How could you leave out Independence Day?

#5630 4 years ago

I know that guy. He’s friends with Haywood Jablome.

#5771 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I was playing my MET Premium last night and remembering how I paid $6400 NIB delivered to my door for it.
After all this talk about Stranger Things, I really paid attention to just what my $6400 bought me only a few years ago.

Right. And here's what people were saying when it came out:

Quoted from goodgameslover:

So Metallica would be around 7650 euro if rumor is true. This is really getting out of hand Stern! Since Avatar LE and Metallica LE the extra price is a "the pin", a whopping 2500 euro in 2 years!!
Crazy!

Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Why is there no shaker? People bought it without one. Stern is the only one who ripped themselves off by not charging a few hundred more and making hundreds more units.
If you want more value for your money, don't buy this game. blockquote>

I received a Metallica Monster Premium yesterday (originally called the 'Dirty Donny' edition).
Stock speakers, not improved but regular size, cheap, wimpy sub and head speakers.
Stock hardware, regular black crinkle legs, lockdown and side rails. (not even the "armor" side rails with the button protectors, just the cheapest ones they have)
Mediocre T-mold on the head that needed to be smoothed out.
Compared to ACDC Premium, this pin is a bit of a rip-off value wise. Heck it was a couple hundred *more* than ACDC Premium but it's missing $500 to $600 worth of the upgrades that used to set a Premium apart from the Pro. (ACDC Premium was $6200 delivered, this was $6400)
So now I'm ordering speaker upgrades, side armor and considering powder coated hardware.
Is this going to be the future of Stern Premium pins? If it is, then it's no longer a good value. Either go for the LE or stick with a Pro.
Other than that it plays great and is a fun game, just NOT what I expected out of a Premium price tag.

Quoted from jaydawg0006:

I think stern has had some really good games and a lot of mediocre games but the thing that bothers me is that they raise prices and cut quality at the same time. How expensive is it to put another coat of clear on a pf or add more Mylar and cliffy like protectors for scoops? Just spending another $20 per game in costs could add to their quality but then they wouldn't make as much money. I like the metal protector they put around the snake but they couldn't have done that to the mystery hole and the coffin magnet?
They also cheapened with the powder coating.

Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Just want to say to anyone on the fence, to get off the fence and go buy a Metallica Pro. Played the premium first and was not impressed for the price difference.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I've played both pretty extensively and IMO the price difference between the Pro & Premium is not warranted. When it was first released I thought it would be a big difference between the models but after playing them I found there is not.

etc. etc. etc.

The moral here is 1) people will always bitch about everything, and 2) if you think Metallica Premium is better than ST you should buy a Metallica Premium instead. Plenty out there. Doesn't have anything to do with this game though.

#5777 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I think you are missing the point. I already have MET. I'd also like a Stranger Things.
Just look at the comparison of both of the playfields, side by side. What do you think happened here?

I'm not sure what happened, except Stranger Things would look pretty funny with Sparky, a big hammer, or a sculpted snake.

#5887 4 years ago

My only
Take away from the past 2 pages is that Iceman REALLY thinks “fake news” is a shut down burn. Come on bro get some fresh material!

#5889 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I was just thinking the same thing! Need something harsher and more appropriate
I’ve got a few ideas

Surely a man of your means can afford some better writers!

I know some talent out of work guys and gals who may be able to help.

#5898 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I can’t post my real feelings. It wouldn’t be safe for viewing
Where have you been? Taking a break from Stern Army? Just leaving me to it

As you and others are so happy to point out I don’t have “skin in the game” as I don’t buy NIB, and there’s only so many times I can point out how tons of nib buyers are insane drama queens. Stern makes em and I play em.

I don’t loathe stranger things as many do, but I do see how it comes off as a little half baked considering they worked on it for 2 years. Regardless, I like playing it, and if the ridiculous predictions that it’ll be worth $2500 and a ham sandwich in a year are true I’ll certainly be picking up several.

At this point I’m just looking forward to the next stern release in a month or two so we can all move on. It’s getting to the point of parody where every single person who has either bought a stranger things, has decided not to buy a stranger things, or is still trying to make up their mind on buying a stranger things thinks they need to post a fresh thread detailing their entire emotional journey.

Who needs me in a thread making fun of this shit when it makes fun of itself?

Also, dimpling.

#5900 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No it goes straight to you just hating on the game for hate sake when you make comments like that which are plain ignorant.
It's the "ford pinto" of pinball machines. Are you Kaneda's brother or just a parrot of his.

Pinside is FILLED with “podcaster shills” these days who just parrot what they hear and think we won’t notice their brilliant thoughts are just second-hand regurgitation of what someone else said on line. It’s like someone who quotes a Simpsons joke and thinks the rest of us aren’t gonna realize we know they didn’t come up with it.

Even D-list pinball podcasters are doing it now. Remember that nobody who kept calling us “pinside babies” here because we said his material sucked?

#5916 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Awww man, I had no clue Adrian A wasnt happy. This certainly changes my perspective on things.

I’m gonna have to see Adrian A’s complaints in podcast or Vlog form until I’m convinced!

#6035 4 years ago

I took a huge dump today.

Pretty much sums up all yer posts! The wit...the intrigue...and the insight!

#6087 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If they tested them, we would know about them before announcement. They used to put out protos of new games at random arcade locations so they could see what works & what doesn’t, then revise and improve before release. They don’t do that anymore.

No they don’t do that anymore, just like rock bands don’t play their entire albums in front of crowds for a year before they release them like Pink Floyd did in 1972.

They can’t do that anymore. The streamers and YouTube clowns would descend on the location like locusts.

#6121 4 years ago

They dragged it to a show for two days. They didn't put it in some dive bar for a month to test earnings, reliability, and player reactions which is what Rare was blathering about as if that was even possible to do in 2020 without ruining yourself.

And not sure if you noticed or not but that little mini-reveal was an EXACT example of why you can't put a half-baked proto "on test" anymore.

#6343 4 years ago

I’m not in love with stranger things game, it ain’t their best work and it lacks the polish I’ve come to expect from these guys.

But this latest outrage just reminds me how out of touch I clearly am with the emotions of your average pinsider.

If i owned one of these I wouldn’t give a wet fart about it. Just another dumb mod I can live without, and that the next owner of the game can buy if they want to blow the $280.

The playfield turns purple during that one hurry up mode 3 Times a game? I think I can live without that, just like I could live without the $70 demodog plunger handle or the $400 topper or whatever other garbage they are selling because they know you people can’t control yourselves.

Get a grip folks!

#6348 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You are out of touch in general Crazy even though you are a Stern lover. You don't need to play to the average dummy crowd and as usual, you aren't buying shit. LOL

Man I’m THIS close to buying a Beatles. Just waiting for that $5000 distributor blow out I keep hearing about.

#6464 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Fickle FOMO's will be right back at it with chants of "take my money now" on the next title. LOL
And the title after the that....and the one after that.....

I don't think I've ever seen a more "This food is terrible...and such small portions!!!" meltdown thread in the history of this place, and that's saying something. A bunch of people who think this game blows and have pledged to never buy a Stern again whining about something they don't need, don't want, and allegedly aren't buying, "white knighting" in the parlance of our times for the people who are.

And yet the game is selling. Just like the last outrage, the shitty Star Wars Topper nobody is going to buy that they literally can't keep in stock.

It's been alleged by Yancy that I masturbate to Stern offerings, which is pretty silly since everybody knows Stern cabinet decals disintegrate at the mere touch of semen and I'd never do anything to expose yet another Stern QC issue.

But if these outrage threads aren't messy circle jerks I honestly have no idea what is. As Rodney Dangerfield claims to have said first...get a room guys!

#6479 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Crazy Levi is the largest Stern shill I have ever seen. I hope they pay you well, cause your explanations are horrendous.

When have I ever told you clowns to buy ANYTHING?

I don't think you know what a shill is.

In case you guys haven't figured it out yet, I'm not pro Stern. I'm anti-idiocy.

#6543 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

hold the line, thats right, dont buy an le unless it comes with the UV light kit. if everyone gets together and does this i am sure they will have to throw it in. this will never happen though. its a shame cause when people come together alot of change can happen.

You never struck me as a union guy.

#6553 4 years ago

Looks like a sloppy pain in the ass for no real benefit. They did people a favor by not installing these factory, not everybody wants their playfield to look like the black light room at Spencer's.

Oh no! I'm shilling again!

#6588 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Agreed, any future pins will have to be evaluated on a wait and see basis to determine what I'm really buying, which stinks because I have a game room just waiting to be filled up

So In other words, exactly what everybody says in every stern thread ever. WHERE’S THE CODE?!

Well, I’m sure this time it will stick.

#6669 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

if whysnow 's numbers are accurate,

ro (resized).jpgro (resized).jpg
#6686 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You are really arguing a point no one cares about. Nothing you keep saying changes the perception created by this stunt. You know what stops uninformed emotional reactions? Transparency. Something Stern doesn't like at all. It isn't about the money, it is about intent. This isn't a did you buy it or didn't you buy it. This is essentially the split between pro/le/premium all over again just on a smaller scale. Some people won't care, some will. It's the state of consumerism. If the consumer feels they were duped, nothing short of some sort of action from the vendor is going to fix that feeling. Some random guy on the internet isn't going to make them see the UV light. If Stern doesn't address it in some manner, it basically makes everyone assume they were correct and that the intent wasn't to the benefit of the consumer.

Yeah, I know when I buy anything, the most important thing I’m thinking of is “transparency.”

I still won’t buy chef boy r Dee products because their web site refuses to divulge how many cans of beef a Roni annually.

#6704 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Yep, I'm looking forward to picking up a loaded LE for $6300 in two years.

That's absolutely ridiculous.

It'll be $3,000. What with the bubble bursting and all.

#6706 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Looks boring if that is the best they’ve got. Is this the last season for STh?

LOL man you guys are so fiercely "on brand" once the hate train starts rolling!

I have good news for you, that wasn't actually Season 4, it's just 40 seconds of footage for what they call a "teaser." The actual season will have about 10 shows which are all 45 minutes or so long. So they may actually have "better" to offer than that brief footage of some dudes laying railroad track in the snow.

#6710 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

While the handful of Stern defenders stays exactly the same day after day.....the number of Stern defectors grows day after day. The tide has finally turned on Stern pinball. Their disrespect for their customers is starting to make them lose more and more of them.

People been spouting this nonsense for years. The "stern defectors" are growing?

It's the same "defenders" and "defectors" every day, "day after day," saying the same horseshit!

Welcome to Pinside.

#6712 4 years ago
Quoted from rolandthoms:

Unfortunately, I don’t agree CL. I love Stern. Love my AC/DC and Walking Dead and Jurassic. But they are having too many mis-steps here recently and it will cost them heavily in sales.

Well, let's quantify this. Any predictions? Layoffs? Bankruptcy? Tits up in a year?

How do you think these ongoing scandals and the mass "defections" are going to tangibly harm Stern in the near future?

Not asking for any bets, I'm not the type, but may be fun to revisit these predictions in a year or so, a la "A Dark Night for Stern."

I mean, even YOU didn't say you are "defecting," you just said how much you love your three Stern games.

#6714 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

It all depends on the next two titles. If TNMT and Led Zepplin have the same reaction / sales results as Stranger Things

Stranger Things is selling just fine. They seem to be everywhere.

#6730 4 years ago
Quoted from Extraballz:

Well at least you admit what you say is horseshit...........that’s progress in my book.

So no predictions then, just vague foreboding warnings of undefined doom for Stern?

Glad we all got our horseshit in order.

#6839 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Anyone hyping STH with all it's stuff that doesn't work consistantly, and in the same breath making fun of R&M are only showing their shilling. I can understand not liking the theme itself, but the gameplay looks way better than STH. Additionally, considering how you berated people who hadn't played STH for saying it looked boring, and then you turn around and do the same thing? Yea....

LMAO "triggered!"

Everybody Just fucking around bro, relax. Yeah everybody super amped up around here for some reason, but for you and delt the "anti-shilling" is like a cultish religion!

#6882 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You consistently do it, that's not fucking around. Just calling it like I see it. I have no issues with people not liking particular games. We all have our own opinions, but people need to quit being dicks to others for it.

Now I’ve read everything.

This thread is a nonstop drama queen dick parade. None of the haters have the right to lecture ANYBODY about their behavior here.

#6908 4 years ago

I think Yancy is adhering to the old adage, “if you don’t have anything nice to say...”

#6928 4 years ago

Sure is quiet in here!

I wish they’d do an RM stream every weekend.

#6982 4 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

The excitement about getting 119M (4th highest of all time) is exactly why I reset my high scores on location.. people love to be on the leaderboard even when the score is poop.

Do you reset all of them including the GC?

#7013 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's no excuse, other than greed, for Stern to constantly be trying to save a $1 here, $5 there, when these games now cost $6k - $9k+.

This is a fresh, unique take on this subject. You’ve given us all a lot to think about.

#7050 4 years ago
Quoted from Skeets:

Most of you guys think the dimpling thing is something new....it is not.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/rec.games.pinball/BxJagIncBbk/P836pngxvqYJ

LMAO!

Had no idea this exact moronic conversation has been going on at least 15 years. It hits all the exact same beats that get thrown out here 100 times a week now. "My new Stern is dimpling...all bally williams games dimpled too...no they didn't stern is cheaping out...yes they did a steel ball is harder than wood yada yada yada."

The best post would be right at home here in 2020..."What is Stern making these pf's out of, balsa?"

Well, I hope Derek didn't take too much of a "dimple hit" when he sold his NASCAR. Kind of surprised though he usually sold his games before 100 plays back then.

#7055 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

They even had a Levi!

Yes, that was kind of my point.

And of course, he was right.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Staten Island, NY
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 39.00
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crazylevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=crazylevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.