IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#451 4 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

No one really talking much about the Hologram feature that it will supposedly have...I'm thinking Sega's Time Traveler Hologram game from 1991... It's going to be sick to have holograms on the playfield... did Stern miss the boat by not implementing that on Star Wars with R2D2 / Princess Leia?
I'm guessing it will be demogorgans ? You need to hit them or go past them as the playfield LED lighting / holograms of floating stuff... If that's the case it would be amazing.

Here's hoping its better than the lame Ghostbusters one. Or at the very least it is properly implemented.

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Details!  
GENERAL
* Layout by Bryan Eddy
* Code by Lonnie and Mike
* Artwork based on Netflix illustration style
* Fan layout
* Flow, progression and shot balance is designed to feel like MM or AFM
TOYS
* Demogorgan head bash toy up the center with drop targets in front.  Supposed to be Hawkings lab with the portal to the upside down
* Projector under the apron that "transforms" playfield objects!  So ramps, standups, drops and other elements on the playfield change based on the location in the mode you're playing (Upside Down, Will's house, wherever).  There are even scoring elements projected onto things (like numbers on drop targets).
* Upside Down is random hurry-up mode.  One of the kids flips into the upside down and you need to hit shot(s) to bring them back.
GAMEPLAY
* Half a dozen multiball modes
* 3 staging areas to hold the ball
* 40+ modes, designed for longevity in the home
PREMIUM/LE
* "Telekinesis" ball lock up left ramp (multiple balls can "stick" to the backboard via magnet, like 11 pinning the demogorgan to the wall)
* Demogorgan toy moves

Just sounds like a "best of pinball" list to feed the hype train. 40+ modes?? Seriously doubt it - whats the most modes in a Stern game? B66? and that doesn't even come close to 40.

#599 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

[quoted image]

Ohhh come on chuckwort, you've been around here long enough to know how the Stern hypetrain works. They've got it down to a fine art, and strategically placed Pinside "leaks" promising "best game ever" are just part of the "fun".

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

ive been around here long enough to know that people are way too negative. Just wait to see it first then starting shitting on it. That’s all I ask.

Just shitting on the hype - I'm sure the game will be equivalent to other recent Sterns.

#787 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

That's the only positive we are sure of this early.

Lol

#788 4 years ago
Quoted from DruTheFu:

Reading the description, I'm not convinced that the functionality will be much more than Ecto Goggle-like. I hope I'm wrong.

Particularly because it’s Pre/LE only. Usually means half-arsed code integration.

#819 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

At this point it appears aingide has seen the game in action, everything he posted yesterday was corroborated by TWIP's post today. If he says projected hallways on the center toy and lockers on the drops to correspond with game modes, it seems that's what it is. VERY interested in seeing this thing in action, what a couple of exciting weeks to be following pinball.

Wording from both "leaks" sounds like the same source.

#877 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The wait is usually worth it. It gives you time to decide if the extra features are really worth it and the extra features are usually worth waiting for. It also gives them time to get some bugs worked out and it will give you time to see how the playfields are holding up as well. Good things (usually) come to those who wait.

So true. The 3 premiums I've bought - TWD, ACDC and DP - have all turned out to be "keepers" and I'm putting that down to not buying on hype, but buying after playing and after code is baked. They've also all been bulletproof out of the box.

#1084 4 years ago

Hope you like playing in the dark. Can’t see it working otherwise.

But playing in pitch black looks like it could be cool.

Can’t imagine the pro though - will be pretty basic.

#1109 4 years ago

Someone earlier mentioned the necessary Lumens of the projector needed to make this work. Guessing this is just a stock projector. And knowing Stern they went with a cheapish one. So if it turns out too washed out maybe it’s possible to upgrade the projector to a higher spec one aftermarket.

#1136 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The screen's *okay*, but I REALLY like the idea of animated projections on the drop targets, spinners, and stand up targets (with numbers for maybe hurryups or multiplier numbers?). Also, the sign above the left ramp that can change depending on what you're doing.
That said, better projector will be necessary to make it not be blurry, washed out, and annoying.

Agreed. I think the screen could be the worst part - certainly the ugliest - but projecting on to targets/ramps etc (if bright enough) is a great idea.

#1344 4 years ago

Going to be interesting how much extra coding they put into the projector given is only PreLe. Stern doesn’t have a good track record of spending too much programming PreLe only features, but in this case they really don’t have a choice.

#1483 4 years ago

You won’t see the art anyway - room will be too dark.

#1539 4 years ago

If you want to see what's possible with projection mapping just check out Vivid Festival that takes place in Sydney in April. Really impressive stuff.

https://www.vividsydney.com/
6f777dafab3c65bf57a9a14dadefeb33 (resized).jpg6f777dafab3c65bf57a9a14dadefeb33 (resized).jpgSydney-Opera-House-Vivid-Sydney-2 (resized).jpgSydney-Opera-House-Vivid-Sydney-2 (resized).jpg

PfBtKqr.gifPfBtKqr.gifvivid-festival10.gifvivid-festival10.gif
#1582 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Where does the ball go when shot in the Demogorgon mouth?
Anyone?

Um, in his mouth?

#2048 4 years ago

Definitely a wait and see Premium in 12 months. Too much of a lottery with code and projector.

#2057 4 years ago

Pro gameplay looked pretty boring from that stream. Hopefully Jack is streaming Premium.

Edit: I can’t believe they removed the levitating ball lock from the pro.

#2078 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

No callouts, voice clips or many music changes yet. Very early code.

Might help a bit, but the layout is really uninspiring.

Game was definitely designed around the projector......which is a problem for the pro because it doesn’t have one.

#2083 4 years ago
Quoted from cleland:

I think the layout is pretty much AFM and MM, which is a good thing in my book. I like that the left orbit can feed right orbit or right ramp inlane with the diverter.
Also like that the Pro has the up post on the left ramp to physically lock three balls. The fast fan layout works great for me!

That’s why they’re so popular- they work. But they get boring.

I can see a dystopian pinball future where every game is AFM/MM layout with lots of white surfaces, a projector, colour changing inserts and the words “insert theme here” under the instruction cards.

#2090 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

EVERYTHING SUCKS!!!

345CC383-D55C-4B6B-905E-2C8C33E219C8 (resized).jpeg345CC383-D55C-4B6B-905E-2C8C33E219C8 (resized).jpeg
#2111 4 years ago

Looks like they have plenty of assets.

Sounds in general are cool.

#2115 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Looks better on this stream.

Absolutely- if Stern is going to get these games out so quickly, they want to make sure you can’t stream it before their official stream.

Multiball starts are cool.

#2187 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sad to say it but after that gameplay I can kind of see why they rushed this through for irrational purchases. Just a shame with such an amazing license. Almost looked like a MM with a picture of the castle on a plate? Can’t believe I’m saying this but Iron Maiden is starting to look like a masterpiece compared to this. Had to sadly cancel out on the LE.

Wanna buy mine Yelo........?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1509832829325245/permalink/2169522460022942?sale_post_id=2169522460022942&sfns=mo

Although thinking I should keep it now. Just had a brilliant game on it after watching the STh stream. Chalk and cheese.

#2204 4 years ago

Was thinking that the past 2 layouts -Elvira and this - are almost the same.

#2207 4 years ago
6E964FFB-6743-4C02-8056-EDE6347DC515 (resized).jpeg6E964FFB-6743-4C02-8056-EDE6347DC515 (resized).jpeg
#2215 4 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Yep, look like pinball machines. All except it will have completely different flow with orbits and returns.
Look Star Wars and ACDC have the same layout but play nothing alike...

Sure. Guess I’m just bored - enjoying JP2 and Deadpool at the moment because they’re at least a little different.

#2238 4 years ago
Quoted from dangerwil:

Game looks like a wood chopping.... fest.

Quoted from rotordave:

Why the f**k would you buy one then?
This hobby never fails to amaze me ....
rd

Maybe he likes chopping wood....
46D1E336-8AD1-4127-A2AD-154C9E212A9F (resized).jpeg46D1E336-8AD1-4127-A2AD-154C9E212A9F (resized).jpeg

#2416 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Metallica.....

B66 was widely hated.

#2440 4 years ago

Don’t think I can remember a Stern game that has such a fundamental difference between Pro and PreLe. Maybe Munsters.

This game lives and dies based on how well the PreLe projector works, and how much effort is put into coding it.

The game was designed around the projector. The layout is deliberately vanilla to allow for the projection. The layout is simple, it works, you know where all the shots are - needs to be so you can shoot it in the dark . The layout is designed around static flat surfaces to project on to.

So you take the projector away and you’re left with a vanilla layout and that’s it.

Still can’t believe they didn’t leave the magneto ball lock on the Pro.

#2445 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Critique of a $6000-$9000 toy isn’t “hate”. It’s normal discussion that should take place when deciding whether a $6000+ toy is worth purchasing.

No Rarehero , everything has to be binary today. People are assaulted with too much information so need to make a black and white judgement instantly. You’re either a hater or a fanboy.

#2611 4 years ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

projector would project...what? The same stuff as on the screen (that I rarely ever look at). I'm not sure I get the hype over a projector.

Projector also projects on other objects - drops, ramps, stand ups therefore changing what are usually just static. For example timers on the targets, words on the drops, arrows on the ramps. Imo that’s the best thing about the projector. Agree that projecting on the screen is just another screen. But it is easier to see it when playing.

The screen can also be turned in to buildings or locations by the projector. If it’s true projector mapping, the idea is for the projector to change the object into something different.

#2613 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If that’s true why haven’t they offered me a job yet?! Everybody knows how much I want to move to Chicago.

Wait....what? You’re not a Stern employee already?!?

#2646 4 years ago
Quoted from KJS:

I'll admit I have been really against the stern machines NIB due to the poor playfield wrinkling dimpling cabinet corners etc on a lot I have seen.
But...I love this theme and AFM as well so it could actually make me buy one.
I am being sincere here...do you think it is worth buying a spare playfield, getting it professionally cleared and beefing up cabinet etc on this game?
Or just strip the NIB and get it done off the bat?
A friend said Stern have fixed playfield issues can anyone tell me who has seen one of these now in the flesh if the playfield is dimpling, wrinkled etc off the bat?
Thankyou

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t think stern will sell spare playfields but if that will put your mind at ease, I say go for it.

Pretty sure they will sell you a spare, but IMO it’s overkill. Very unlikely you’ll have a problem and for home use you won’t come close to wearing it out.

Cabinets are not a problem recently as they’ve been using all ply and Williams style cabinet brackets (at least on PreLe’s - can’t comment on Pro’s).

#2651 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

In the feature matrix one of the differences of the pro is a plastic bottom arch vs steel. What arch? Anybody maybe got a picture what is meant?
Thanks!

This will be plastic on the pro and metal on the PreLE.

41621B4A-E123-44E9-A883-6D3B33B29F60 (resized).jpeg41621B4A-E123-44E9-A883-6D3B33B29F60 (resized).jpeg
#2822 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agree. Haha. Just have to wait until someone else figures out the fix. Right now I don’t see how to do it without taking a bunch of shit apart.

Pf Level or angle off? Too shallow/steep? Guessing that jump ramp is very sensitive to angle/level.

#2836 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I think a few people are being a little too judgmental on this title. Just from the stream it was the pro, which it seems is missing the main innovation in the game.
The game has 4 ramps (left orbit ramp to right ramp complete, left ramp, right ramp, jump ramp. 4 bank targets up posts and bash toy that is interactive on all models. Prem has dedicated projected images for shots etc plus real magnetic ball lock for 3 balls.
Ok here's where I get downvoted no end. This pro has more on paper than the pro JP... think about what the pro JP has... up posts 4 ramps and a Newton ball toy.... That's it. Even the premium doesn't really add much aside from the t rex ball capture. There is no real 2 or 3 ball multiball lock, no drops, just the one target gate on the prem. It has a shit load of stand ups over stranger things and an extra flipper to do loop shots or hit the half pipe ramp... which by the way has been done to death by stern.... 3rd.flipper for loop shots... only the warp shot on ST is way more fun.
You can subjectively argue for either layout being better but there seems to be a majority consensus that there is night and day between these 2 releases which just isn't the case.... oh and dinosaurs suck compared to the stranger things cool horror eighties theme.
On color palette, sounds, and art package alone stranger things takes it hands down. And it's beta code and then some for this game.

I think you’re missing the point John1210 . What JP has you can’t put on paper. Especially at the Pro level.

Who knows what STh will be like at PreLe level and once code is complete, but JP at all levels is something special.

I actually prefer STh as a theme but just from the layout pics and gameplay videos I can see there is nothing in this game that gives me an experience I haven’t already had. Hopefully the projection and ball lock on Sth PreLe will transform the game. The unique DNA combos alone on JP make me smile just thinking about them. I just can’t see where that’s going to come from on STh.

#2841 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Over 40 plus modes (actually closer to 50 modes) was reported by Jeff in This Week In Pinball. So realizable source is where everyone is getting that number and no they are not counting hurry ups.

25 ish in the Stern material.
5B3BB857-BB9E-4624-AE01-35EC59BE4F7D (resized).jpeg5B3BB857-BB9E-4624-AE01-35EC59BE4F7D (resized).jpeg

Edit: which is still a lot of modes.

#2847 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

This doesn’t show the 3 mini wizards or the demodog modes. So could be more than that even. We shall see.

It mentions 5 demidog modes and 3 wizard modes, which actually sound like mini wizards since they’re for each of the 6 chapters. But you’re right, won’t know until later.

#3037 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

DISASTER BLASTER

Dialed In is perfect for a re-theme vault. Fix the SIM card shot & re-name easy.

#3039 4 years ago

Wonder why the launch of this was so rushed? Really early 0.64 code, no Prele, odd timing just before Xmas.

Licensing?

I doubt the "leak" of the PreLe footage was an accident. Even though it obviously wasn't ready to stream, they needed to show something of the Prele at launch. Maybe licensing hadn't approved the extra images/video on the PreLe so they couldn't include it in the official launch. But the official launch would be lacklustre without anyone knowing what's possible with the PreLe projector etc. So leak the PreLe footage early.

Still don't know why they rushed it - why not wait until New Year when everything is ready?

#3046 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stern has released almost every game massively unfinished. I mean, we could go back to Wheel of Fortune...but it’s still happening recently. Batman ‘66. Ghostbusters. GOTG. They do it because they can. NIB maniacs will still buy the games no matter what. What incentive to they have to release a finished product?

Not just early code - but you have to admit 0.64 is even early for Stern.

But this game was clearly designed around the projector - why launch with the weakest version of the game?

Rushing to launch 2 days before Xmas, with the weakest version of the game, on really really early code. Whole thing doesn’t make sense to me.

#3090 4 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

See image.

C9CD07B2-F194-43FA-994A-7EDC13DF5898 (resized).jpegC9CD07B2-F194-43FA-994A-7EDC13DF5898 (resized).jpeg

I’ve worked out your problem - there a piece of steak in your game. Call Stern customer support ASAP.

#3184 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Absolutely true. However, if you’re trapped up, line it up, and are dead center the ball travels too high, how are you supposed to adjust for that as a player except hope for a lucky half flip that is just the right speed to fall in?

98EB7B1D-ACA1-40D2-A278-E290522FA273 (resized).jpeg98EB7B1D-ACA1-40D2-A278-E290522FA273 (resized).jpeg
#3188 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

UNPOPULAR OPINION:
Metallica is still meh. Haha

So many trolls in here.....

#3190 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I guess if we're just labelling everyone we don't agree with in this manner, isn't every single thread on Pinside just a collection of shills and trolls then?

Exactly. Shills and Trolls. Like Yin and Yang. Perfect harmony.

#3196 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I had that idea too. Unfortunately the flipper power isn’t a setting currently. Bummer.

Surely they have, or will come up with, a way to adjust the ramp or sculpt. Got to be some way to raise the sculpt or change the angle of the ramp.

#3256 4 years ago
Quoted from zimvsdib:

Enjoy the Panel Vans cgpinhead. May they always haunt you as you play.

Lol.

Pinside always delivers.

#3339 4 years ago

Stern is a manufacturing company. They need to keep the production line moving. Prolonging the lifespan of games already in people’s homes by extending content doesn’t help sell new games. Better for them to invest in a completely new game.

#3349 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Actually it does. Because if Stern just pushes out games and never finishes them, they lose future business as customers don't want to be stuck with ultimately incomplete games. If Stern updates the code on older games to finish them or finish the content, then customers buy the newest games as they feel confident even unfinished games will be finished.

But they’ve been releasing incomplete games forever and their business keeps growing. Everyone complains about it, and then buys the next new game with even less code than the previous game.

It’s a nice theory, but the reality is everyone’s addicted to unboxing the latest game.

#3362 4 years ago

I love the idea of DLC, but it just means people will hang on to their games longer.

And i doubt operators care about DLC either. Theme is what drives coin drop.

#3491 4 years ago

I think a complete game is already pre-loaded into the price. Of course everyone would complain if you had to pay extra to have it finished.

But, assuming it’s not abused by the supplier (and that’s the big unknown), DLC would be fantastic. If you could own TWD (or whatever) for 12 months, play it to death, then Stern releases a completely new Lyman coded version of the game for $500 (or whatever). Totally different rules, animations, sound etc. Then you’ve got 2 versions of the game you can choose.

But as I’ve said before, Stern is a manufacturing company first and foremost. DLC employs software guys but doesn’t keep the line moving.

Even better would be open source code after 2 years. Never going to happen but imagine that.

#3502 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

So what little video we have seen of the premium/LE, the projector is showing a lot of what's on the LCD. Is it going to be lame if both are showing the same thing at times or will people not care?

That will be really lame. But Sterns has a history of trying to keep the code as close as possible between its Pro and PreLe models. Historically they don’t invest a lot in extra coding for the extra PreLe features. Doesn’t bode well for the PreLe screen. But hey, we might be pleasantly surprised this time.

#3582 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

TWD had only a couple seasons in it and you don't see anyone complaining Negan and other characters aren't on it.
It's a fantastic pin for many reasons and it truly doesn't matter there's only a couple seasons of stuff on it.

TWD also had Lyman.

#3584 4 years ago

The projector in STh is perfect for DLC. The fact you can change stand up targets, drops, ramps, arrows, and the main “screen” to match whatever DLC you install.

Brian Eddy spent most of his career designing software. Understandable he’d merge pinball and software for this game.

#3586 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Gah! Stop giving Stern ideas. It's bad enough it takes them so damn long to finish code on games we've already paid for. I can, unfortunately, imagine the hell on earth that would become DLC for pinballs. You want to pay 20k for pinballs that should be 6k? This is how you do it.
I would however happily accept a 2.0+ release with new season content if they manage to sell a good number of games. Maybe make up for several of the code duds they've had over the years.[quoted image]

I don’t think Stern need me to give them any ideas on how to make money.

#3653 4 years ago

I heard that Stern is testing Down Loaded Dimples.

#3842 4 years ago
Quoted from Ed209:

Even the ramp flaps are dimpling on new Stern’s. :/[quoted image][quoted image]

STh seems to be prone to air-balls. Likely the drop targets causing it?

#3844 4 years ago

So the projector is either going to make the PreLe a completely different game, or be purely cosmetic and make the Pro essentially the same game. All depends if they allow enough resources to differentiate the 2 models.

#3900 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They should’ve brought a pop up and put it underneath it.

Yep - should have had the pro outside the tent for the walk by crowd and the Pre-Le inside a pitch black tent or even better a cave.....

cave (resized).pngcave (resized).png
#3905 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is SOMETHING there? Yeah. Is it what most would call visible and working? No. Especially on the ramps, ramp standup and drop targets.
I'm very surprised Stern didn't put a tent over this to control the lighting A LITTLE. Very. Surprised.[quoted image]

Just hit me how dirty those standups and drops will get.

#4115 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Couple screen grabs from the CNET livestream.[quoted image]

Crap that looks bad. So looks like it just doesn’t translate well on video hence the delay. Have to be seen in person at distributors or show.

#4119 4 years ago
0F0DFBA1-09DC-4749-9AE0-3EF594DDB3BE (resized).png0F0DFBA1-09DC-4749-9AE0-3EF594DDB3BE (resized).png8C176563-7313-412A-BD9B-9C237427A18F (resized).jpeg8C176563-7313-412A-BD9B-9C237427A18F (resized).jpeg1FA70743-3BE9-43A9-819F-D070B54B863D (resized).png1FA70743-3BE9-43A9-819F-D070B54B863D (resized).png89B0C749-71E4-4638-ADDC-9412989597E5 (resized).png89B0C749-71E4-4638-ADDC-9412989597E5 (resized).png92327452-4BD2-4913-B309-E3E80A3F8E4E (resized).png92327452-4BD2-4913-B309-E3E80A3F8E4E (resized).png96898F38-329B-47B9-B739-D243324E6340 (resized).png96898F38-329B-47B9-B739-D243324E6340 (resized).pngA7097976-88DF-4E44-8A0F-00D6D29C5639 (resized).jpegA7097976-88DF-4E44-8A0F-00D6D29C5639 (resized).jpegF5FEAA72-8E24-4777-AFA7-1C53C48B9531 (resized).pngF5FEAA72-8E24-4777-AFA7-1C53C48B9531 (resized).pngFF9CC835-5F61-4917-A4A5-D6032B1129BB (resized).pngFF9CC835-5F61-4917-A4A5-D6032B1129BB (resized).png
#4120 4 years ago

That was a pretty dark stage. Really going to need to be as dark as you would watch a home theatre projector (and not a very good quality one).

Clearly why we haven’t seen a stream. On a stream they’ll need to decide whether to show the screen images (ie dark) or show the ball/game action (ie light). Unless there’s HDR for video?

#4147 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

It would be better if photos were taken when the projector is turned on.

#4149 4 years ago

Maybe they’ll have to stick to black and white images - seems to work a bit better.

AA447463-802B-4DB9-A812-7FD5293D8F90 (resized).pngAA447463-802B-4DB9-A812-7FD5293D8F90 (resized).png
#4151 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It looks like Stern may have brought a Stranger Things Premium over to the Cnet booth. Also, Cnet's camerman may have lowered the exposure on the camera to better capture the projected images as the recorded area does look dimmer than in Stern's booth. Either way it's very difficult to see.
[quoted image]

On the video I saw them moving the game into the CNET “studio“ area. It was pretty dark already. No overhead lighting. This image has the least ambient light during the video.

B56443AF-AAB0-4EBB-AE2B-8A1DDA60A252 (resized).jpegB56443AF-AAB0-4EBB-AE2B-8A1DDA60A252 (resized).jpeg
#4155 4 years ago

Felt a bit sorry for Zach on that video. Couldn’t get the levitating ball thing to work either - only because he was trying to simulate it for the camera by throwing the ball and obviously the timing/power was different than flipping.

They began talking about the projector “tech” but once they realized it wasn’t working the reporter changed the topic to “other” tech in the game. In the end they didn’t even talk about the projector.

#4163 4 years ago

There must be some reports of actual impartial people who have played it at CES?

#4165 4 years ago

Can video do HDR yet?

#4183 4 years ago

At the end of the day Stern hasn’t really promised anything about the projector. I’m assuming the best it’s going to look is as per the original “leaked” video that was clearly a Stern production aimed at showing the projector in its best light (see what I did there!?).

If you’re happy with what’s in that original video you’ll be happy with the game in real life (when played in a dark environment). If not, don’t buy it. Certainly don’t buy it assuming it’s going to look better than that video or assuming you’ll be able to upgrade the projector.

#4194 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I love this guy's narration: "I bet these are really expensive.. like $3-5k"

In fairness the 2 models he was most impressed with - SW Home and STh Pro - were $3-$5k.

Funny how it was the LCD on SW Home that seemed to impress him most. Here we are debating how good the projector is and he couldn’t care less.

#4208 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Look at the black speaker panels though.. the contrast, shadows and black level was modified in an app
Here, let's just make it better while we're at it lol[quoted image][quoted image]

Yeh, was about to say there’s some heavy filter action going on there.

#4270 4 years ago

Still no actual PreLe play reports or photos/videos from non-Stern people?

#4325 4 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Here's some video I took of the projector when they had the game on the CNET stage. Seems like some people are expecting the image to be OLED 4k HDTV quality. LOL It's a projector. Temper expectations accordingly. I personally am glad Stern is doing something out of the box. The game shoots great too. Patiently waiting to see where the code takes it...

What’s encouraging is the shadow of Zach on the back wall. That must be some strong stage lighting. And the angle looks to be almost directly facing the STh screen. It is impressive you can see anything on that projector screen.

#4356 4 years ago

No question the CES launch is a mess - just the irony of banning phone footage at a Consumer Electronic Show in 2020.

The whole reason you exhibit at these shows for “free” publicity. Now it just looks like they’re trying to cover something up.

Gary, just send someone out to buy a $50 marquee from Bunnings/Masters and stick it over the game and at least try and rescue what’s remaining of this train wreck.

#4359 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:Ever hear of JP? One of the greatest pins ever

Even when you're drunk you have a point Ice.

As someone else said, no matter what happens Stern are more than likely to get my money.

But the projector still looks crap at CES. Lets just all be honest here. Who knows WTF it looks like in a dark room.

#4366 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Iceman when you are playing your Jurrassic Park game with its pooling, chipping, and cratered up playfield do you just pretend that it's part of the rough Terrain in Jurassic Park so that it doesnt bother you?

Just buy one WD. You know you’re going to have to at some point.

#4379 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

That was you in front of me?[quoted image]

Wow, those Pro’s look like.......Pro’s.

#4405 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I'd have came back to take the pic when it was darker, but Gary Stern yelled at me and told me to stop taking pictures of it.

Don’t care about still images, when’s Jack going to stream it?

#4436 4 years ago

Actually a toaster with 11’s Eggo waffles popping out could have been a cool toy for Stranger Things.

CrazyLevi innovation off the charts. U sure u don’t work for Stern?

1 week later
#4969 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I called them out on what appeared to be a pitch black or really dark room, but they panned the camera back to reveal that the room was really well lit (they were just using green screen tech to make it appear dark and moody).
with that said, the projector did well on the 3 main panels, demigorgon and the drop targets. the ramps, not so much due to their angle and how far the [white] stickers run up them.
they did have issues with the game itself in the first 5 minutes of streaming and it took them a few minutes (and glass off) to correct the issue. personally, I think that all of the cheapening out on the BOM is coming back to bite stern as the reveal didn't show the game in the best possible way. additionally, due to the fact that the game wasn't leveled correctly, ramp shots were rejected consistently and it just looked like the game was brutally hard (way too many SDTM drains by brian, jody and jack). why you wouldn't take an additional hour prior to streaming to make sure that everything was set up correctly and working the best that it could still baffles me.
finally, another thing that really stuck out was fit and finish. there wasn't any gap between the left panel and the center panel (which lowers to reveal the demigorgon), however there was about a 3/32" gap between the center and the right panel. that really cheapened it for me given the cost for these machines.
the theme integration appears to be right on the mark and code updates will only make that better. yes, there were a lot of placeholder animations but those that were complete were very well done. I especially liked the animation with the notepad with the numbered list and the 20-sided die roll to award you your reward.
as a few others have pointed out, there are a lot of shots on recent stern machines that come down and hit the top of the slings, rather than roll directly to your flippers which result in ricocheting into the out lanes a majority of the time.

Is your shift key broken?

#4970 4 years ago

I thought the projector looked pretty good. Nothing mind blowing but should be pretty cool in person (if we’ll coded).

Definitely a mixed bag this one. It’s a great theme for me, but not a must have so I’m probably being more critical than I would be if it was a dream theme. Could be a premium down the road, but definitely need to play it first.

#4977 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapiru:

Anyone who needs to type "LOL" is kind of pathetic.

What about “WTF”?

Because WTF!

#5048 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I made sure to use proper capitalization, grammar and punctuation so that you can sleep tonight
Since pinside is informal, I tend not to capitalize the first word in any of my sentences and only where necessary, but I see that this has upset you greatly.

Thanks j_m_ . Was really worried your keyboard was broken.

#5112 4 years ago

Apparently Stern recently employed a very experienced QC manager. Guessing that will take time to show results, but clearly it’s long overdue. Begs the question why they didn’t have one before. Obviously QC takes $$$ from the bottom line.

Looks like Trindawg got one of the very first games off the line. In future it might be worth waiting a few months before buying until the line has ironed out all the bugs.

#5208 4 years ago

I can see Stern just “coding out” the Demo in the mouth shot. With too much inconsistency in how it shoots game to game, and seemingly no adjustments possible, they won’t have a choice. But are there any switches that allow the game to recognize an indirect hit?

#5398 4 years ago

F*ck me. The Stern sycophants were just lurking in the shadows waiting.

The shaker and lights have been disconnected and the problem is still there. It is possible he was delivered a faulty game by Stern. Wouldn’t be the first time but I’m sure he’ll be looked after by Stern.

And remember:
AFFCD82E-BA22-4055-881C-A3DC88879327 (resized).jpegAFFCD82E-BA22-4055-881C-A3DC88879327 (resized).jpeg

#5544 4 years ago
Quoted from sir_tankalot:

Which games of Attack From Mars, Medieval Madness, or Monster Bash are you referring to?
I'll give you that Attack From Mars went to R1.1 due to my disappointment with SoL=50M in tournaments, but the other two games stayed at 1.0 for the duration of the production run and thereafter.
It was only after I asked Ted Estes whether we could release the cumulative fixes (for all games) that had been implemented before the company was about to close that any of the other revisions went past 1.0.

I'm not here to talk anything about Stern. I'm only here to correct inaccurate postings.

Does that mean you are ready to correct your inaccuracy?

Wtf? 3 posts only.

He’s like the Mystery Lyman Avenger. Mysteriously parachutes into Pinside, corrects mistruths about Lyman and (presumably) disappears as fast as he arrived.

Don’t listen to him chuckwurt . Stand up to him!!!!!

#5571 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WHY DOESN"T ANYBODY FROM STERN EVER POST HERE?!?!
[dude from stern posts here]
GET HIM PEOPLE! GET HIM!

I’ve never questioned why Stern employees don’t post here. I wouldn’t if I worked for Stern.

Which begs the question..... why do you still post here?

#5623 4 years ago

Funny how this thread just morphed into the off-topic dumpster fire of Pinside.

Once Stranger Things the game has been forgotten (like next week), Robin should just re-name the thread...."Pinside's stranger things" and it can continue on as if nothing has happened.

#5828 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Have you even played an LE or premium yet? Your feigned sarcasm is smarmy and unnecessary. If you don’t like the game, why continue to bash it. We get it, you don’t like it.
But I have played it and can tell you 99% of the bitching is way off. Projector is bright and clear, game plays fast and smooth, demo is easy to hit. It’s a fun game.
When are the pinside mods going to institute a “no trolling” rule? This continued trolling has caused several that I know to swear off this toxic site and environment, including those in the industry.

Go in the other thread rs812 , you’ll be much happier over there.

#5869 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You haven’t even seen a video of Rick more than 60 seconds and it’s the next coming. Lol

Quoted from iceman44:

Typical jealous hate?

Cmon Ice, your subtle trolling of R&M is wearing a bit thin.

#5871 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I’m not trolling Rick Cook? Haven’t seen it yet. Nobody has
And it’s not allowed anyhow
You want to bang on STH? Knock yourself out

It’s allowed...just got to be sneaky like you’re doing. You’re experienced enough to work it out

When’s your StrTh coming? Must be soon. Looking forward to playing the PreLe but not sure how many will be on location. A couple of friends are getting one though.

#5875 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob-T-800:

Hes pissed cause R&M is a much better designed and playing game than ST. Thats cause Scott Danesi is an awesome designer

He’s just pissed because he already has 6 other games on order and the 7 just seemed excessive.

#6018 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Glad there's *kind of* a solution but it's a damn shame it comes down to nagging issues on nearly every $5500+ game.
[quoted image]

Lol

#6106 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Finally a place near me that has both, so I plan to go try them out in the next few weeks. Since everyone says JP is awesome it probably will be. Elvira seems to have fallen off the map pretty quickly and no one is talking about it. I loved the previous 2 Elvira games, but this one just didn't call to me for some reason.

Make sure JP is Premium or better to truly appreciate the game.

Elvira seems to be getting more and more love as Lyman weaves his magic. I can see one entering my game room in the future.

But it’s difficult to compare JP3 to anything. It’s brilliant on so many levels.

I’m with Ice on the plastic playfields. It’s been done numerous times already, including most recently Thunderturds and Mafia. And no one was doing cartwheels over those games or even knew they used plastic playfields. Not sure why everyone is so excited about Celts doing it. In reality I suspect the reason these small manufacturers are using them is because they’re cheap and easy to make, not because it’s a revolutionary fix to traditional Playfield manufacturing methods.

#6161 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

The UV lighting kit looks to add quite a bit of atmosphere to the Upsidedown modes with the hidden UV reactive inks on the playfield art. I wonder how much it'll cost? Kinda seems like it should've been included, but oh well...

Is that the reveal of the hidden feature?

#6164 4 years ago

Kind of cool. Sucks they would design and include a physical feature in the game that you have to pay to unlock. It’s like downloadable content but with physical features. Great feature but new cost cutting low for Stern.

34E86565-9B5B-47EE-839A-C49B69142C3D (resized).jpeg34E86565-9B5B-47EE-839A-C49B69142C3D (resized).jpeg
#6174 4 years ago

Does it also wash the screen out even more?

#6184 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

This is the Stern-iest Stern move.

You've been Sterned.

#6292 4 years ago

At least is should hide the dimples.

Wait.....maybe it will enhance them.

#6297 4 years ago

So I went through the video frame by frame....and look what I found hidden in the UV ink....
IMG_7797 $ (resized).jpgIMG_7797 $ (resized).jpg

#6298 4 years ago

And another one.....

IMG_7797fu2 (resized).jpgIMG_7797fu2 (resized).jpg
#6311 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It's comical. People pay unbelievable amounts of $$ for shit plastic mods (for the most part) on every game and then here comes a "mod" from Stern.
You know it's true. Like a monkey F ing a football. LOL

C'mon Ice, no doubt this is a very cool feature of the game. Especially given that the PreLe will already be played in the dark to get the full benefit of the projector. This should have been/was a standard feature of the game and had it been "unlocked" at launch, the game might not have copped as much of the negative reaction it did.

But implementing it this way? Even the Sternest of Stern apologists cant deny it's a cynical premeditated abuse of their customer goodwill.

#6319 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Come on Cookie, we like the same games and buy them right?
Even the Bricks apologists and hyper FOMO crowd can put the hater fest down for a moment? LOL
I'm F ing tired of the Stern blah, blah, blah..........
I BUY games that i like, themes that i like and i don't give a F who makes em. Stern or not.
As for "apologists", JJP can kiss my f ing ass right now.

LOL

Where the F is your Stranger Things LE anyway?? You're like the last person to get delivery - the Aussie games will be delivered before you get yours at this rate.

Speaking of which, there's a few LE's still left for sale with the distributor down here - might be a good time to pick up the phone and get the UV "upgrade" thrown in for free

#6322 4 years ago

So they going to offer this as a factory fitted option I wonder?

#6328 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why? Stern doesn't do any build to order for customers. They ship inventory to distributors.
That would be a market for resellers - not Stern under their model.

Well, I just thought since they already fitted 1/2 the kit (ie the UV PF), they could easily fit the remaining parts.

#6366 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well supposedly Pinstadium already has something...(I don't know more than that).

They already have a UV mode on their existing light kits, but unless it's tied in to the Stern code, it will just always be on (or synced to a flasher?).

#6415 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Competition could really rock Sterns world for this colossal marketing blunder.

And this is the real problem. There is no consequence for Stern.

#6542 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't think I've ever seen a more "This food is terrible...and such small portions!!!" meltdown thread in the history of this place, and that's saying something. A bunch of people who think this game blows and have pledged to never buy a Stern again whining about something they don't need, don't want, and allegedly aren't buying, "white knighting" in the parlance of our times for the people who are.
And yet the game is selling. Just like the last outrage, the shitty Star Wars Topper nobody is going to buy that they literally can't keep in stock.
It's been alleged by Yancy that I masturbate to Stern offerings, which is pretty silly since everybody knows Stern cabinet decals disintegrate at the mere touch of semen and I'd never do anything to expose yet another Stern QC issue.
But if these outrage threads aren't messy circle jerks I honestly have no idea what is. As Rodney Dangerfield claims to have said first...get a room guys!

I think this trick from Stern is beyond even your schill skills Levi. Maybe time to look for a new job?? I hear Deeproot are paying the big $$$.

#6722 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

Anyone else experience this before?
Literally typing this in front of the machine. STHLE. 36 hours new.
I was shooting to knock down the default 130 mil GC... I had just finished MB and completed all lanes to start Isolation mode. I then shot all isolation shots and right as the next part of the mode was starting I shot the center scoop shot and immediately the entire machine shut down and did a hard reset.
If not experienced I imagine someone would want the logs right?

Occasional hard resets aren’t uncommon on Spike games. If it keeps happening regularly take it up with Stern.

#6809 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

we got new code that actually improves the game!

You got new code that brings it marginally closer to the complete game it should have been at launch.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

LOL the Bricks thread - yeah the level of BS in that thread is nuts.

Interesting how 2 companies selling an equivalent product can have totally different relationships with their customers. This thread has devolved into a Stern bashing fest yet R&M is overwhelmingly positive. Why is that?

#6861 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I think the reason they didn't add it on the LE is that it would have been another "gotta have it" freak out like Munsters where they raised the numbers to 600 after the fact and they wanted to keep the LE at the 500 number, rightly so.

WTF sort of convoluted conspiracy revisionist crap is that ICE??? Now we know you’ve had too much to drink.

All I know is with each dick move my loyalty to Stern drops. Now the game must be an absolute standout, like Elwins JP, or I won’t buy. I actually PREFER buying from another company if I can. Alienating previously loyal customers is generally not good business, but when you’ve got no competition in a growing market, and the EOFY figures just validate your strategy, you keep doing it.

#6876 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Iceman you post 3 to 5 thousand times EVERY SINGLE DAY how many people do you actually think care about what you say? That is a serious question.
You're too busy doing what drinking and posting on pinside all day? You know what considering you stay inside all day and post on this website 24/7 I wonder if you added the Blacklight MOD to Stranger things if you'd glow more than the pinball machine... you know considering how pale you must be for never leaving the house!
Can you add that mod and send a picture, I bet you end up looking like Uncle Fester with a light bulb in his mouth!

You 2 need to get a room.

DrFright, when Ice gets sick of collecting Stern LE’s I hear he’s building a theme park in his backyard. Don’t piss him off too much.

#6878 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

yeah so what? it wasn't, annoying that it isn't but that's how it is, stern got this wrong and have improved it but still not good I agree but they get the code out eventually.
Spooky is niche; stern sells more games in one title than they've shipped in total; not everyone is happy with Spooky titles and they aren't all perfect, our Alice Cooper is more unreliable than my 1980's nine ball.
They just seem to be given a pass because they are new and small; others like them got the same treatment but less successful (look at dutch pinball; If I had skin in that game they'd have been declared bankrupt and had all their assets seized by now but those involved are like they've done nothing wrong despite being ripped off for thousands of pounds ) Look at JJP, shipping the most expensive "high quality" games with playfields that shocking.

No question Spooky get a huge pass on many levels, but people like buying from them so they’re more tolerant. Spooky engage with their customers - people feel like they’re part of the Spooky journey.

I know Spookys size gives them that luxury and it’s more difficult for a company like Stern, but they really could do better in building their “Global Lifestyle Brand”. They’ve got the $$$$ to spend on marketing but they f*ck it up 9 times out of 10. I should feel good about buying Stern but I feel like I’m buying Stern because I have no choice (I know, first world problems).

Not sure what a Stern “Lifestyle” would look like, but I know I don’t want it.

362AB2D1-4943-4395-8D4F-1E444EC0E008 (resized).jpeg362AB2D1-4943-4395-8D4F-1E444EC0E008 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cooked71.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=cooked71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.