IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Potatoloco.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

if you guys are smart you will all hide your excitement and stop with the take my money crap or Gary will see this and increase the price on us AGAIN.

Unfortunately, I've heard from 2 different smaller distros that they're moving their Stern prices up by $100 in 2020, but they wouldn't specify why. Guess we shall find out soon enough.

#1402 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Kind of scary to think what some people might be spending on new Stern's based on some of these estimates for premiums.

Only thing scary thus far is my wife said we must get a Stranger Things LE. Makes me wonder what she bought herself for Christmas.

#2589 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

I wonder if there should be different scoring systems for tournament play and just overall enjoyment for anybody / casual players here on pinside.
Casual players like often long playing pins with good theme integration and novel toys vs score balancing, strategy and difficulty for tournament players.

I think there should be a casual mode that is objective based instead of score based. My kids and non pinball friends respond to objectives so much more than what any amount of “score” shows up on the DMD or lcd, thus when I have a casual pinball night majority of my games get put on settings that allow objectives to be easily achieved.

Using Iron Maiden as an example, putting the power features on their lowest setting and having a visual count of their progress towards the multiball is extremely fun and rewarding for these types of players.

#2603 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Most DMD era to modern pins are objective based. Start modes, finish modes, destroy the castle, sink the ship, etc. I could tell you every objective in LOTR and how it relates to advancing to the end...I’ve had the game for over 10 years...I couldn't tell you what scores what...but it doesn’t matter, as objective = score. I know more jackpots =more score. Finishing modes = score + elf gifts which = score. The best games are the ones designed with some obvious things for casuals to do & nuance for the pros who want to dig deeper. No need for two separate rule sets if a designer & programmer knows how to craft a great pinball machine design & ruleset.

Of course pins are objective based in practice. But just like you said, objective = score, which the vast majority of any casual player I’ve talked to or encountered that plays a handful of times each year, do not care about. Hence the need to have a mode that wipes out the scores in favor of objectives.

Plus there already are separate rulesets on most modern pins. I don’t see the harm in simplifying this even further for different casual or party modes in a home setting.

#2903 4 years ago

I’m still waiting to play it myself and know nothing of the modes.

Heard back from a couple of friends that played on location. General feeling is, just avoid shooting the middle altogether and rely on every other shot as it’s a fairly simple shooter with a super raw code. This ended up yielding scores ranging from 1-2.5 billion.

#3135 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

How can anybody judge this game on .64 code? Is the true question; it’s unfair to the design team that puts all their hard efforts into the game.

While I agree it’s not necessarily fair to the design team, once any product goes to market for consumers any judging of said product becomes fair game.

#3138 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Dwight Sullivan does quite a bit of shallow coding. I had this debate in the Munsters thread when it was announced. Wasn’t proven wrong.
He’s no Mr. Sheats, that’s beyond dispute.

Star Wars and GOT are far from shallow overall, but they’re unbalanced enough to where one could completely ignore different parts of the code options in the game and still blow up in the tens of billions. Haven’t had much time on new Ghostbusters to comment.

1 week later
#3917 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I agree, I think it will really pop in a dark home environment.
Not too sure about areas with a lot of ambient light?
Stern may need to hand out some HD glasses(As seen on TV )[quoted image]

You just gave me flashbacks to when Gunnar Optiks wanted to sponsor me during my video game days. Maybe it’s time to whip those bad boys out on the Stern Circuit

1 month later
#6248 4 years ago

For me personally, there's a big difference between cosmetic things on the cabinet and a topper on the backbox compared to something that is part of the gameplay itself under the glass.

The feature is pretty cool and looks great when it happens, but the Upside Down is also a huge part of the Stranger Things and as of now, it doesn't feel like one will get the full experience intended for this pin by Brian Eddy unless they shell out additional money.

#6299 4 years ago

What I’m really curious about because quite frankly I have no idea, but would doing this to a playfield cost more than a general playfield and if so how much cost would that be to manufacture? Because this would literally mean every Stranger Things buyer has purchased a product with a hidden feature baked into the BOM that’s not even accessible without spending additional money on top of the purchase price.

#6585 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Honestly I think you guys are all out to lunch... I think Stern hid this on purpose thinking it would be a GOOD thing and everyone would be excited about it after the fact... It just seems like nowadays on here Stern, JJP, Spooky nobody can do anything right. You guys will find a way to bitch about something...

This is business 101.

Stern hid this because they planned on cross-selling this feature from the beginning to make money. I've got nothing wrong with the practice of cross-selling itself, but there's no way they hid this because they thought it would create excitement after the fact. If they wanted to create excitement and do their fan base a solid, they would've installed these into the LE's unannounced and then offered it as a cross-sell for Pros and Premiums.

Instead, the vast majority of buyers and potential future NIB customers are left wondering if any game that is purchased in the future will be lacking items under the glass that directly have an impact on the experience itself with code and mech integration. Quite simply put, as a business they violated the trust of their consumers. If they're really wanting to build a lifestyle brand, in which a core foundation of that function is brand loyalty through consumer trust, they have made quite the error in judgment with how this product was rolled out.

#6591 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

your acting like the did something illegal...... "Violated the trust of their consumers" They but UV ink on the playfield and now are selling a $300 dollar light. How do you get through the day....

Honestly? By running and investing in multiple businesses. No one said anything about an illegal tactic. I'm speaking from a business perspective because I have actual real-world experience building brands.

#6597 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You and Chris need to give Gary a call, they obviously have no idea what they are doing!

Miscalculating one facet of a product rollout does not equal the equivalent to someone being completely ignorant in their overall business model.

Quoted from Aurium:

I'd like to know which brands and if there still in business ... I've done the same and I collect pinball machines but I'm not on here claiming to know how their business runs...

Agreed

I'm not going to divulge private information or make my equity stakes public knowledge. You asked a question on how I get through the day and I provided an answer for you. I'm not speaking or giving my opinion based on emotion, I'm giving my opinion because I recognize business tactics and understand these principles. If you disagree with my assessment then that's perfectly fine.

#6605 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

You guys are acting like this is the worst thing any company has ever done....
JJP promised this big elaborate triple spinning disc mech in Pirates and opening closing chest, They take it out on final release, the game is still great... That would tick me off more than something extra that's already in the game vs something I though was in the game when I put my deposit down... This UV light is not a big deal people

I'm giving my critique of the current situation. If you feel my critique gives the impression that this is the worst thing that any company has done, then I believe you might want to re-read my previous opinions of the situation because I feel that's a bit of an exaggeration of my stated opinions.

The UV light may not be a big deal to you, which is perfectly fine. We can't, however, ignore the fact that the response from the community to this has been overwhelmingly negative.

#6612 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So you are saying people and companies make mistakes or miscalculations?
While the haters here like to equate everything Stern does to some end of the world crisis I'm pretty sure this is just another overblown crybaby whiner fest with them. The fickle FOMO's will be right back at it buying the next game and Stern will keep increasing their sales 20% a year. LOL
Love this new lighting mod. Looks awesome!

I'm at a loss for how this furthers our conversation if you're quoting something I said and responded to it.

If you want to discuss why you believe Stern's handling of rolling out this feature is positive for their company, we can discuss the merits of that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Potatoloco.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=Potatoloco and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.