IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OnTheSnap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3770 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

There is much anticipation about seeing the Premium or LE on a stream of some sort.

******WARNING*******

Temper your expectations!! There is NO WAY the projection is going to look good on a stream. It will simply not read well due to the limits of web cams, cell phones, etc etc.

I think it’ll be something you need to see in person to judge.

I think there will be a loud chorus of “I’m out. Projection is washed out”, “Was hoping for more pop visually”, and so on.

The reality is, our human eyes will be way better at handling the crazy contrast required to view this properly. I think this will underwhelm on stream, and overwhelm in person.

Well then we need to buy DeadFlip an HDR camera, capable of low light, high contrast.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1501344-REG/panasonic_dc_s1hbody_lumix_dc_s1h_mirrorless_digital.html

#4096 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think a majority of buyers are fine with dimpling, it's the severity of the dimpling that's been in question as its more noticeable. Stern games are now $6k-$9k+ so there's no excuse, other than greed, to not offer a playfield that holds up equal to or better than those made 20+ years ago. We've seen minimal dimpling playfields from CPR and know that they spend less than $50 more per playfield then Stern does to make a higher quality playfield. Why can't Stern offer the same quality after multiple yearly price increases, and cost savings on cabinet items such as lock down bar straps, bolts for head, using plastic ball returns vs metal habit rails from various premium / LE models, etc?

For stranger things, there is a massive air ball problem caused by the wide ramp into the demogorgan. Balls are hitting the glass and plowing into the playfield all over the place.

Hence you get about 6 months of dimpling in a matter of 2 weeks. Except this includes much larger than normal craters. Doesn't seem acceptable. I'm fine with dimples. But this is serious.

Seems like a serious design flaw considering the softness of the playfield.

#4113 4 years ago

I wonder if a mod will be possible where one could use a pico projector with much more lumen output. prob Stern went with a low end unit.

Cheap Pico's are like 150 lumens. In the $350+ category, you are 600 lumens or more. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aaxa-p7-pico-full-hd-dlp-projector-gray-black/6333932.p?skuId=6333932

One has to assume the Pico projector in ST Prem is sub $200 BOM cost. So prob it's possible to triple the brightness.

#4125 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

That was a pretty dark stage. Really going to need to be as dark as you would watch a home theatre projector (and not a very good quality one).
Clearly why we haven’t seen a stream. On a stream they’ll need to decide whether to show the screen images (ie dark) or show the ball/game action (ie light). Unless there’s HDR for video?

If you make it this dark, isn't it hard to play pinball?

#4135 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Well, if you use a projector with enough lumens and a high gain screen of 1.4 or higher, then they can look really damn good in well lit areas which was my point.
The problem here is it looks like "ass" because the projectors are "ass" lol
This is a good example of a proper lumens output + proper projection surface + well lit area.. notice you cant see any of the white screen behind the images?
[quoted image][quoted image]

The advantage on the pinball machine is we are talking about a throw distance of like 2' max? So if you dump the shitty 100 lumen projector in the machine and install a $300 600 lumen one, it will be night and day better.

No doubt the early owners will have a look at this.

#4166 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Yeah, but why should anyone need to put a $300 projector upgrade in their $7900-$9K pinball machine that is already thousands of dollars more expensive then the Pro/Non Projector machine? That sucks. There's no excuse for this, if they were going live with this new feature they should have implemented it with the right hardware.

ProjectorGate is in full swing.

Well history show us they design these things to a $3000 BOM. So yah for what we pay, they should_ put in the $300 600 lumen Pico, but that's not the Stern machine.

No doubt this will be a great mod to do once we figure out what fits. Prob we can buy any_ pico, de-case it, and retrofit the machine.

#4386 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Yeah the screen material would be grey.
They are literally using the worst material for the application.. a matte white screen.

Probably a very easy mod if you can get small pieces of positive gain material.

1 month later
#6279 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Whats the difference from this kit vs someone buying Pinstadium lights to enhance their game?

Speaking of Pinstadium - they have a UV flasher feature. Bet someone posts how to connect pinstadium to the right place to get this effect.

I'd rather send the money to Pinstadium vs Stern. Yah you don't get the apron and mechanical bits. But it'll light up the playfield in UV

#6396 4 years ago

UVGate in full effect

#6402 4 years ago

Maybe they are looking at aftermarket stuff like Pinstadium, and thinking they can get in on the mod community business and accessory lighting.

But this is not that in many ways.

UVGate

#6407 4 years ago
Quoted from alex_m:

Any lawyers here who can explain how this doesn't violate Consumer Protection laws against untrue or misleading advertising? This wasn't mentioned anywhere before yesterday to my knowledge and seems like a blatant bait and switch. You can call it an "add-on" all you want, but this was obviously a marketing ploy from the beginning. The holes for the lights were pre-drilled on the ramps for f's sake. Video game companies get away with it because they label their products "contains in-game purchases", but buyers here had no idea this was a feature until "surprise! Look what you have here, now give us $280 to unlock.". Seems like there is a class action suit in there somewhere.

UV lighting was never an advertised feature. They can sell add-ons all they want. The game still functions as advertised without it. So there is no consumer case.

We just have a major douchebag move by Mr Stern.

I really hope great options with great supply capability start coming out of more companies with themes we want. So we can more easily vote with our dollars.

#6510 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

And when selling a game it’s percentage of unlocked code will affect the price etc... like NIB will be vanilla but used might have more stuff unlocked etc... who knows what the future will bring. But totally agree many many More ways for them to make more money off these things.

Nah - Stern DLC will be account locked, not machine locked. So when you sell the machine the new the new buyer will have to buy all the DLC again.

Just like steam.

We are all really screwed. Fact is Stern can announce and ship in a week. No one else is doing that. JJP still not shipping some Wonka CE's ordered a year ago?? When you are dominating on supply, while competitors fail to deliver reasonably, it's time to milk the consumers while the tide in demand is highest.

Get your man boobs out. We're all going to get milked in 2020.

#6528 4 years ago
Quoted from FYMF:

I connected my pinstadium to my shaker motor and the UV hits at all the right times. I would speculate that you could tap the pinstadium into whatever wiring initiates that mode. Maybe..

Still - for the full effect you want all the UV plastics!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Covington, LA
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OnTheSnap.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=OnTheSnap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.