IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Guinnesstime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from evh347:

How about a Ghostbusters: Afterlife pinball machine instead? It’s essentially Stranger Things anyways.

Uh, can we NOT give Ghostbusters to Stern again, please?

scott.gifscott.gif
#128 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, I mean Ghostbusters is only one of Stern's most loaded, well coded, and best selling pins to date. We are much better off with games that are emptier, cost $7800+ yet come with basic plastic ramps with no metal habitrails (looking at you Elvira), have less toys / features, lack full licensed assets, and have toppers with minimal code...

Loaded? Yes. Coded? Meh (although it’s certainly easier now and the double skill shot point exploits are mitigated).

I’m a former LE owner and I play GB every week in league play. Its physical design is crap. Should be SO good. But it’s not.

1 week later
#597 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Enough about Stranger Things, which is not being released today. We need an update on the MMr!
#WhereIsTheSternMMr?

That's game's old, man.

#645 4 years ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

LOL. rooting for a mandalorian pin much?

The 7th Episode was friggin' amazing.

#758 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I'm not sure it is Dr. RosenPenis

I have a Stranger Things pin, and a steak sandwich.

Quoted from Bearcat:

Killing the demogorgan with a pinball down his gullet would be a rather satisfying shot.[quoted image]

If you had to hit the demogoron, and then it'd open, THEN you hit the kill shot, that be the balls.

demo.gifdemo.gif
#808 4 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

He did the backglass on the GOT LE.

Me thinking about this...

giphy.gifgiphy.gif
#1176 4 years ago

My game the room is only lit by the pins most of the time, so this is perfect. Hate playing in bright light anyway.

Callouts, sounds, music, actors from the show? Fantastic.

As far as theme integration, the looks top notch. Something we're always bitching about.

Magnet backboard lock looks great. One of the coolest shots in KISS, and now we have multiple.

Demogorgon looks like what Maiden *should* have had, instead of just a ramp & target.

Premium/LE-worthy to me. We all love the theme at home.

#1217 4 years ago

Pinside: Stern doesn't innovate. I'm out.
Also Pinside: Stern is trying something new. I'm out.

#1330 4 years ago

Distributor call on Monday.

#1433 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Never change pinside.
Someone let me know when the projector bulb discussion is over please.

The actual projector bulb will die before the discussion does.

#1446 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Spooky = no CC pooling and chipping. Sturdy cabinet, better customer service, incredible sculpts and under glass world, awesome LCD animations, all led light show, real back glass, superior subwoofer in cabinet (don't need external one), awesome art package. I ordered mine with lighted speakers and eyeball grills with light diffusers, shaker, real knocker, pinblades and target decals shipped for $7200.00. Name one Stern premium at that price point?

Stern games are better overall.

The day someone asks me to see my subwoofer, I'll know the tide is turning, though.

#1492 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You have to be joking?

About which part?

#2113 4 years ago

Prepared to order an LE, but the code in the stream isn’t grabbing me yet.

#2179 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Sad to say it but after that gameplay I can kind of see why they rushed this through for irrational purchases. Just a shame with such an amazing license. Almost looked like a MM with a picture of the castle on a plate? Can’t believe I’m saying this but Iron Maiden is starting to look like a masterpiece compared to this. Had to sadly cancel out on the LE.

Yeah I’m passing too. Cookie cutter code. No humor. Stream was disappointing. Everything felt like "fight the demodogs!"

#2356 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is very typical of designers getting back in the game.
Nordman’s POTC was reminiscent of dr dude.
T3 was similar to t2.
RAZA / magic girl complete fucking messes like most jpop stuff.
It’s natural that these guys want to return in their comfort zone.

I'm just here for the Levi jpop opinions. lol.

Quoted from mnpinball:

Would have rather had the X-Men Nightcrawler pop-ups be repurposed in this game for Brian Eddy. Hitting a change of state pop up toy is satisfying and fun. Could’ve easily been used as the demodogs.

GREAT idea.

Honestly, I would have loved to see the Mind Flayer in the center, even on a spring, like AFM saucer, and a Demogorgon the you access more like rescuing the princess in MM, as the "scoop." Or like locking a ball for Trooper MB on Maiden Premium/LE.

I just think feel like Stern went w/a completely carbon copy layout, and the person coding really hasn't watched Stranger Things at all, until they got the assignment. The code screams "OK Boomer".

#2625 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Buying games for your family and friends is always a mistake. Nothing is gonna force these people to like pinball.
Buy what ya want!

This is the #1 rule of home collecting.

#3001 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Dialed in is awesome and a fresh take. Many of my favorite pins have "no theme." I feel the curmudgeons in the hobby are too scared of it because it is a new theme. I honestly don't get why people don like that machine.

I had it 10 days. I couldn't stand it. The music, callouts and gameplay bored me to tears. There's many other Lawlor pins that are "fun".

I've kept pins for a time just due to theme I like though. Except for White Water, it's always a licensed one.

#3152 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

With the FOMO behind Rick and Morty, I think Stern rushed the release of Stranger Things...feeling their dominance was threatened. This may have been a huge misstep.

There would be no reason for that. Its pre-order slots "sold out" already, so they're not competing. Plus, they're SO much bigger than Spooky it's not close.

#3287 4 years ago

I have to admit, the more I look at vids, the more I like it. The key will be the projector. That could be next level. That could be make or break.

Those trying to nail the Demogorgon consistently, you do realize that when you raise the pitch of the Playfield, the toy raises with it, right?

#3348 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

I hear you, that's always the danger. See the EA model in video games!

Beyond that playing for content REQUIRES a bug-free delivery. Right now, we buy a $5K-$10K machine with nothing more than the HOPE final code is good and bug-free. There's never a promise. With paid content, that shit better be right.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Stern doesn't make machines with incomplete code, Lonnie does

source.gifsource.gif
#3527 4 years ago

Can we all just understand that there are too many location games to make DLC relevant? No operator would ever pay for that.

Carry on.

#3669 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This thread has devolved into a shit show. Everybody is just babbling random junk because there is no news and they want to run their mouths. Ugh

#3683 4 years ago

What starts first? Season 4 or Multiball? Discuss...

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 9.09.35 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-03 at 9.09.35 AM (resized).png
#3896 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

CES is well-lit, but that cheap pico projector (or projectors) they're using is just failing hard in that lighting. Stern needs to throw a black tent over that area to help or people are not going to be having good impressions...
[quoted image]

Hey, let's look at the bright side. Oh, wait...

#3939 4 years ago

One thing's for sure. If the premium/LE is in a tournament, Andy Rosa is SCREWED.

rosa (resized).jpgrosa (resized).jpg
#4037 4 years ago

In my industry, there are several big OEMs that no longer attend the largest annual trade show largely because of the union costs.

Now I’m not anti-union, but it’s strange that union workers are needed for setup, tear down, and year-long storage of trade show booths. But I guess that’s where we are at.

PS: I enjoyed The Irishman

#4052 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

One week of play...[quoted image]

How can you keep your preorders when these playfields wear in dog years?

0903C8A5-37BF-4578-A3FD-F43F8CBCE98F.gif0903C8A5-37BF-4578-A3FD-F43F8CBCE98F.gif
#4189 4 years ago
Quoted from Nazz26:

Stern pinball CES 2020

C5ADF19B-272C-425C-AC3B-6B8141F0200E.gifC5ADF19B-272C-425C-AC3B-6B8141F0200E.gif
#4290 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

R&M is like an apartment in Tuscany, there are none for sale! Dont even bother asking!

kramer.gifkramer.gif
#4496 4 years ago

Interesting

#4571 4 years ago

Welp, we're now at 0% chance Stern is going to include the Stairway to Heaven Backwards Wizard Mode in the Zeppelin pin.

Thanks guys.

#4587 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapiru:

Do all the Sterns have these playfield issues? When did they start?
Thinking of picking up an ACDC Lucy edition but don't want to get hosed with the playfield getting torn up in short order.

Luci is good (thank you massive plastic window for the mini playfield).

#4717 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Thats a first.... many people have had their issues with di but clunker isn't one that comes to mind.

If anything, every time you flip, you hit some shot. They're literally everywhere. Except the SIM of course.

#4820 4 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

I wonder did Stern consider this black screen technology?

Love that. I'd be a hell of a mod.

#4839 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I found Billy to be the most annoying character in this show's history.

Then it worked. He's supposed to be.

#4902 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

That did not take long, LOL

Known issue. Now REALLY known

#4914 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Scene a couple modes now... Each more purple than the last.

They are pretty Prince-like. Projector looks solid.

The game should be a must buy from a theme perspective, but based on the stream, it just doesn’t look fun.

#4967 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

I really don't understand this mindset, I honestly don't. A must buy from a theme perspective, but the gameplay itself is meh?
How on Earth is the principal function a secondary consideration? There's plenty of Stranger Things merch you can buy elsewhere for a lot less money if you REALLY dig the theme, but spending $6k+ on something that happens to be branded Stranger Things - when you have no love for the actual gameplay - is just nuts.
Not making any kind of comment on whether the gameplay on this specific pin IS meh or not.

You know we agree on this, right?

There are Stern LEs preordered based on theme and FOMO. I did it with Ghostbusters LE. Turned out to be a clunker. Sold it.

#4996 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Wow according to this chart, I am a millennial lol. I'm almost 40 but I'll be sure to start complaining more

First complaint: that you're a millennial. Then it'll steamroll. Be sure to download Snapchat.

#5011 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Oh wow I just tried to write cursive last week for the first time in forever; it didn't go well.

It's an elective in my kid's MIDDLE school. I remember I was taught in 2nd grade.

#5018 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm still trying to reconcile the idea that typing "LOL" is an act of idiocy while typing "cuck" is an act of critical thinking genius.
I'm also trying to figure out who this guy was before he was Shapriu; dudes like that don't just pop out of thin air. Seems kind of familiar.

Antonio Brown.

#5211 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I can see Stern just “coding out” the Demo in the mouth shot. With too much inconsistency in how it shoots game to game, and seemingly no adjustments possible, they won’t have a choice. But are there any switches that allow the game to recognize an indirect hit?

Hard rubber sculpt with a wide as hell ramp. Not a great design.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I find it very very disturbing that this mech reminds people of a vagina.

So this is the teabag shot?

I’ll show myself out.

#5463 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

I cannot understand why they release games like this...it's like buying a car but up till now you can only do 30 miles per hour, next month maybe 50 and within a year you'll be able to go 100

It’s location ready. Location players don’t need complete code. Some want it. Some care. But largely you don’t know what’s running anyway. You just play it anyway.

#5486 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I sum it up as 'flat'. Little inflexion, little emotion to convey things like excitement, movement, speed, etc.
I can only hope there is a ton more to come.. because what is there is.. bleh

I think it was made by peeps that weren't fans of the show, so they went and watched it, and the dark parts stood out to them. And here we are.

Quoted from DakotaMike:

The "Ball Lock" Post can be disabled in the service menu. Don't have to worry about it falling out if it never goes up. Sadly, this seems to really be the only fool-proof solution.

It's laughable, really. So much for experience in making pinball machines.

#5556 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I disagree. These games have not been beta tested properly-not only with code but with factory defects-that should have been addressed prior to producing 100's on a run for sale to put on location and in homes.
I saw a post yesterday that got me feeling sorry for a fellow pinsider and a great operator. He has a SRT located 70 miles from his shop in another city. A known defect for the post sleeve pressure fitting coming off now has him having to send one of his techs to drive down to fix the problem. I figure probably two-to three hours of time spent? Does Stern offer a warranty claim ticket to such operators for such defects-no. Operators are the one's losing their time and money to repair these defects that should have been addressed with a few beta machines-not 100's on a set run schedule.[quoted image]

You misunderstand. It's not location ready to YOU. I'm talking Stern considers this "Location Ready." That's what matters.

PS: @sir_tankalot, appreciate all your work!

#5581 4 years ago
Quoted from Morinack:

Got to play this machine the other day. I enjoyed playing it as it is challenging and fast.
This machine however had something that blew my mind for a machine this new.
The ramp was bent pretty badly. Looks like the front edge took a hit somehow.[quoted image]

The good news is, with more hits, this will even out over time.

#5615 4 years ago
1257C02C-A193-44C9-848C-2E4F95F5FA31.gif1257C02C-A193-44C9-848C-2E4F95F5FA31.gif
#5624 4 years ago
37AA93F9-507B-40DB-85FB-0A959CD7DDB3 (resized).jpeg37AA93F9-507B-40DB-85FB-0A959CD7DDB3 (resized).jpeg
#5749 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I understand Stranger Things isn't one of your perfect 10 game like Scared Stiff or CFTBL. Still at 5.5 you ranked it above Tron LE (4.7), Star Wars (4.6), and Fathom (2.6). It may not be as good as TWD (6) in your eyes but I had fun playing it, love the theme, and am looking forward to seeing how the code develops.

He rates 13 games as perfect 10.000. Then for 25 pins, he goes Soviet Judge and rates below 6.5 and down to 2. I'd take this w/a grain of salt.

#5758 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

I also voted Batman Dark Knight (movie) a perfect 10. Do you have a problem with someone liking something? My rating is my opinion last I checked this is America, we have the freedom to our own opinion. If you don't think a game is a perfect 10 then that is your opinion. With all that being said I love how you change the subject. Stranger Things is about to fall out of the not top 100, but top 200. Stern doesn't get our support by default they need to earn it.
But just for you I'm going to change my rating for Creature from the Black Lagoon so it's a 9.9 instead of a 10 because I really want your support! You rate games the way you see fit and I'll do the same!

Why worry about my opinion of your ratings when I'm allowed to have an opinion about your ratings which you are allowed to have because they're just opinions?

1 week later
#6017 4 years ago

Glad there's *kind of* a solution but it's a damn shame it comes down to nagging issues on nearly every $5500+ game.
RUBBERBAND (resized).jpgRUBBERBAND (resized).jpg

#6190 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

This is the Stern-iest Stern move.

Stern gonna Stern.

Quoted from anathematize:

How the hell does something like this NOT get included when you buy the Premium or LE edition of the game. Its clearly a premeditated add-on due to the ink being reactive.
This feels like Stern sinking to a new low.

And this is where we're at.
UV (resized).pngUV (resized).png

#6222 4 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

First of all...this is pretty cool. Great effect! Can't wait to see it in person. Looks amazing on the video.
As for the extra cost drama...geez. It's no different than a shaker motor.

Or 3 shaker motors.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Guinnesstime.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=Guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.