IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #972 Stranger things video Posted by halflip87 (4 years ago)

Post #975 Stranger Things screen shots Posted by Rascal_H (4 years ago)

Post #1751 Feature matrix from Stern. Posted by twenty84 (4 years ago)

Post #1774 Pro features video. Posted by proco (4 years ago)

Post #1775 Trailer with intro from Duffer Bros. Posted by johnnyutah (4 years ago)

Post #1793 First shipping confirmation photo. Posted by Tilt (4 years ago)

Post #1829 Pics of official Stern accessories. Posted by RebelGuitars (4 years ago)

Post #1835 Brian Eddie podcast link on game. Posted by C2CPinball (4 years ago)

Post #3236 Nice game review Posted by delt31 (4 years ago)

Post #3275 This Week In Pinball deep dive. Posted by pin2d (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Globalcop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1737 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I think this game looks like it will be really fun!

What looks awesome:

1. Eddy as the designer.
2. The projector: it looks great!
3. Magna lock looks cool!
4. Good variety of shots

What looks not so awesome:

1. Art: how the f*ck are we back to photoshop after years of great art? WTF?
2. Plastic ramp returns
3. I see balls getting magnitized pretty badly in this one.
4. Stern will NOT support you if you have issues with your playfield or any other cost cutting/manufacturing fiasco.

Why are there no less than four Hawkins vans depicted right on prime PF real estate? Seems like a lot of emphasis on a minor show element when there are many other icons left out completely.

#2275 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Hmmm.. the theme integration is way worse than I anticipated. The clips do nothing to enhance the game, the call outs (what very very little there currently are) sound really unenthusiastic and uninspired. No funny moments being presented, just random stuff with almost no sounds from the show. Upside down mode that last a few seconds and doesn't really do anything interesting. The middle shot which takes forever to get to only lasts a couple shots to complete with very little payoff. Just bizarre implementation. On the positive, this is mostly code related stuff, so it COULD be fixed. The shots look really good, fun and satisfying. Very smooth. But if the code isn't there, we may have another Munster's on our hands, sadly. Either way, seems like status quo for Stern, for what it's worth.

Nothing happens when you make the demogorgon shot, the ramp simply closes. No exploding castle, no flying saucer flashing lights etc. The ramp just closes. Not rewarding at all.

#2749 4 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Here's what I would have liked...(I'm still holding out my hopes for the Premium Stream)
Granted these are all physical world under glass wishes...I can see where Stern is going and why they did the layout like they did if their goal was to use a projector..it still doesn't alleviate my feeling of missed potential for physical items on the playfield. So hopefully with code, they can create a Star Wars esqu feel of immersion, but if it's just quick video clips without creating moments, I feel it may get repetitive, especially the demigorgon - that needs to be more climactic both in sound, video and buildup ...But my SW Prem has some defining shots that are really satisfying physically outside of the LED screen - Ala Death Star, Horseshoe, L & R orbits - I don't see that with this game from a first look. - although the balls to the wall lock has potential
...anyways, here's my list:
A tunnel system where the ball goes under the playfield (like the rot tunnels in the pumpkin patch) - maybe like the subway in Ghostbusters although various holes could open up (like irises) around the playfield and the ball could fall into them - acting as a ball lock - then various shots could recapture the balls
Large physical christmas bulbs around different shot lanes that would have to be hit in order to first communicate with Will
Physical demidog toys that could pop from different areas of the playfield, maybe even from below, and attack, not just static in the middle
Better use of GI to simulate upside down...I just see a 80's retro lightshow right now
An interactive physical D&D 20 sided die - could have tied into a D&D video mode
A large physical lab which could have been the centerpiece with diverters, ramps...and that could have flipped or spun around (ala Batman 66) in the table representing the upside down
An arcade or sign that could be shot at opening up an actual video game video mode
Eggo waffle inserts or pop bumpers
A unique shooter lane where the ball was introduced by magnets under the playfield which could have been like 11 controlling the ball instead of a physical plunger
Walkie Talkies as drop targets
A Complete blackout mode except for only a projected image showing up on a lane or area to represent 11 in the communication realm

Imagine if there were HD cameras under the playfield, tracking the ball as it traverses the subway, displaying the ball under the pf up onto the LCD screen. A user activated diverter could be switched with the player paying close attn to the ball under the table by watching the LCD.

#3516 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That is a perception topic and one you can manage with your product strategies. For instance, to start off... pick a title people feel as complete and good.. and add to that. So people see it as an “value add” and not just “stuff that was missing”. Selling optional upgrades is very much a fluid thing... companies dont always get it right. So they discount, use promos, bundle, make changes, etc to get things dialed in.
Nothing says you have to set out to do it for every title either...

Especially something like a music based pin. I can definitely see people paying to have new modes and songs added to a game like KISS or another band-based theme

#3530 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Man, no disrespect to those who are pushing for paid DLC for pinball, but that's literally one of the worst ideas I've heard in a looong time. If Stern released fully complete, deep, bug-free games at, or at least close-to, launch...then maybe.
But come-on...is there anyone here who really thinks Stern wouldn't abuse that system. I could easily see free updates, like the recent one that Ghostbusters got, suddenly costing money. And people are saying that they could charge $500 for that kind of thing! The fact that Stern will go back and continue to polish and update games, for free, years after initial release, is a big plus! That makes people want to keep buying Sterns, and generates good will. (Good will that they can spend on things like bad playfield clears!) What if Stern decides that routine bugfixes and code-completion updates are now deserving of a charge. Makes me sick to think of it.
Now I could support Stern charging for code-updates for much older games. Imagine if they ran kickstarters to pay for code updates for games like CSI, or Wheel of Fortune, or Avengers. I'd get behind something like that.

I think there are a couple factions here, on this topic. I belong to the one that doesn't think it's a good idea but it's inevitable.

#3569 4 years ago

As soon as pins are internet-enabled, it'll be used to create new revenue streams.

#4018 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

The projector is such a cool idea and I think it will look awesome with tons of amazing mode variables.
My only concern is ball marks and lines on those perfect white backings, I just can't see how they expect it to hold up ?

I wonder if the ball will cast a shadow.

#4660 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yeah I am aware of the testing. As soon as it's a standard feature that comes with the game I think things will accelerate. Lots of cool stuff possible. Operator alerts, earnings, adjustments, remote code updates. For the home player they could have some cool stuff also. Stern has the head 2 head competitions with two games next to each other where they try to complete certain game objectives first. That could translate to online very easily.

I went up to Nebraska last week to play some pinball and I noticed that they had tax stickers on the pinball machines. I bet it won't be long until the state will mandate access through the internet to verify audits for tax purposes.

1 week later
#5268 4 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

<begin soapbox rant>
I can't believe that some people here think that any company shipping any product that is DOA straight out of the box is acceptable. yes, I get that we as owners should know how to fix basic things (when they go wrong) to avoid costly repairs. however, that doesn't mean that we should have to play the role of technician straight out of the box.
if your brand new microwave, tv or videogame system were DOA straight out of the box, would you feel the need to break it open and start troubleshooting it on your own? I don't think so.
<insert cargument>
even if your $9,000+ base model car that you just drove off the lot died within 6 months, I'm guessing that you'd be right back at the dealer pitching a fit over the fact that there's no way that this should happen.
the fact that it has become acceptable to say "because it's pinball" has become synonymous with "you will need to adjust and fix things in order to enjoy your NEW purchase" is truly crazy. it's this type of mentality that has allowed [some] of the manufacturers to continue to get away with shipping games that "are a box of lights" at launch, take upwards of a year or more to get to v1.00 code (though still not complete) or remove a major feature via a code update rather than correct the physical issue just to name a few things that have occurred over the past 2 years.
and yet we (as a group) still continue to throw money at these companies for fear of missing out

Wondering how long until lemon laws apply to pins.

#5356 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Hey Doug, never blamed your kit. I've bought quite a few from you and they've been great.
I was referring the the "operator error" that he had mentioned when installing them - that was my point- what is he referring to as "operator error"? We don't know what that is. Maybe it was from the shaker who knows?
All I was doing was pointing out the coincidence here, not necessarily defending Stern either.. my entire history for years has been calling out Stern lol.
Just let's think about it. New guy to pinball buys new machine. Guy says he plays it for hours no problem. Guy then installs shaker and light kit he said he had a problem installing, and then literally 6 posts down the thread he's having 48V power errors and issues with his game.
How about instead of jumping on the "it's Stern's fault" maybe we can help the guy out and see if what he did wrong that could be blowing the node boards.. one was replaced, and the replacement blows too. Coincidence? maybe.... Could be a short ? I'm not defending Stern here but let's put 2 and 2 together on this one.

KPG, your post looked to me like basic logical troubleshooting. Half the time I'm trying to fix electronics, just the act of getting in there raises the possibility of something else getting messed up.

#5389 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So hostile in here.

This is nothing compared to the ar15.com forums. lol

3 weeks later
#6391 4 years ago

Stern is giving Kaneda great new content on a daily basis.

#6431 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

And this is the real problem. There is no consequence for Stern.

The consequence is people aren't buying this POS pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Globalcop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things?tu=Globalcop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.