IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 97 of 144.
#4801 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Any video or not worth posting bc it dont capture well?

No, I didn’t record it - but I was in a conference centre meeting room with the full lights on and it was fine, turn the lights down or off and yes it’s better.

I think its possible to capture it with the right equipment. Have you ever been to CES or any big show? Clowns all over the place with huge camera gimbals and back LED lights that can be seen from the ISS.

I’m a tech snob, Part of my job is running a set of TV channels, I was first in the world to broadcast soccer at 4K, I received an Emmy for technical innovation - so I’m pretty confident that the vast majority will be ok with the projector - I wasn’t able to find out details of what type it is and I know some people see rainbows in some projector types but in my view it’s perfectly fine and the way it works with the game is freaking outstanding!

#4802 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

Ok then. Had to ask. I'm still a bit sceptical. Since usually people have different expectations and opinions about stuff, what's good enough or great (like audio and video quality).
Is there a reason why Stern is not streaming a premium with "correctly" set up camera and lighting? Currently people are making purchase decisions based on these "wrongly lit" videos. And these are not impressive.

Stern's initial promo for the game showed it in a completely dark environment recorded as professionally as they could. You could check that out.

#4803 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

No, I didn’t record it - but I was in a conference centre meeting room with the full lights on and it was fine, turn the lights down or off and yes it’s better.
I think its possible to capture it with the right equipment. Have you ever been to CES or any big show? Clowns all over the place with huge camera gimbals and back LED lights that can be seen from the ISS.
I’m a tech snob, Part of my job is running a set of TV channels, I was first in the world to broadcast soccer at 4K, I received an Emmy for technical innovation - so I’m pretty confident that the vast majority will be ok with the projector - I wasn’t able to find out details of what type it is and I know some people see rainbows in some projector types but in my view it’s perfectly fine and the way it works with the game is freaking outstanding!

Awesome news .. I thought it looked fine also especially under all the lights. Very excited to see and play the premium.

#4804 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I was first in the world to broadcast soccer

Are you pandering to us Americans, or do you actually call it soccer now in the UK??

Game looks pretty good.. worst aspect I've seen so far was having to wait for the game to free balls stuck behind the drops, but that shouldn't happen too often.

#4805 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Basically the dead end kicker becomes a shot not worth hitting or even worth avoiding since it provides a lateral and unpredictable return.

Except it being the super jackpot and 2x scoring shot... yes totally worth avoiding... *rolleyes*

#4806 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Nice. That is reassuring to hear from an expert. Personally, I wasn't too worried about the core function of it...more the code, but it's still good to hear your opinion.

#4807 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Except it being the super jackpot and 2x scoring shot... yes totally worth avoiding... *rolleyes*

I’ve yet to have a single drain I can remember due to that kickout. The stern kick outs that send the ball toward the flippers seem worse.

2x scoring and supers indeed worth shooting for.

#4808 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

amazon.com link »
I think this shouldn’t be too hard to implement this into the game

Man that would really jazz up a Pro model!

#4809 4 years ago

I wonder did Stern consider this black screen technology?

#4810 4 years ago

JPLE best pin ever for me

Elvira LE is fantastic on early Lyman code

Love what I’m seeing on STH and I’m getting the LE

Stern is on a roll. Great theme, watched the pro streams, look f ing fun!

#4811 4 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Great vid thanks . Black screen looks great.

#4812 4 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Probably not.

#4813 4 years ago

I haven't checked in on this thread since the reveal, so no idea what others are saying. I got a chance to play it a couple of days ago on location.

It felt a lot like AFM to me, and I think that's mostly a good thing. I played before the recent code update, but the rules felt similar as well - each shot has a mode associated with it. Shoot the shot multiple times to start a mode. Try and stack and get into MB. And of course, a prominent bash toy.

I played about 10 games in a row, and played pretty well. I was able to complete the MB and get a few triple jackpots (that always seemed to be at the far left shot). The game flowed really well. I liked the way the shots felt, except for maybe the left loop shot, as that seemed to hold up the action a little.

I didn't really care for the demegorgan. A shot that I thought would be in would often bounce out. A less solid shot might find its way in the hole. It felt pretty random because of that, and good shots weren't rewarded the way I'd like.

#4814 4 years ago

Got an email from my Distro today.. LE’s are hitting production before the end of the month. Ride or die!

#4815 4 years ago

Wow. I think they missed the boat using the white screen. We will have i see with the premium reveal.

#4816 4 years ago

Jack does a good job live streaming, but I don’t get why Stern does it this way??? It is not a controlled narrative. It should be done similar to the PAPA videos, with the designer only playing the game in a controlled environment. Without a side chat going, of a bunch of people, both with good and bad comments, all live. No industry does live reveals of new products this way. Live streaming almost always, does not show any game in the best light (no pun intended for ST projector).

A controlled presentation, showing the game in the best way possible, with a designer/programmer making comments, while a pro is playing the game, after editing out bad takes, would yield far better results. Can you imagine the movie industry live streaming an unedited movie before showing it in the theater, with viewers making live comments??? It would be disastrous!

#4817 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Nice. That is reassuring to hear from an expert. Personally, I wasn't too worried about the core function of it...more the code, but it's still good to hear your opinion.

I agree I have concerns with code but that applies to all the manufacturers...

#4818 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I don’t think the guardian counts as “mainstream press” dood. But keep your anecdotes

Nope I'll share them if I want. Just like you share your wisdom among the rest of us mere mortals.

#4819 4 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Holy Schmoley the black screen looks fantastic. Wonder if you used two sided tape to attach it to targets and screen and underneath the plastic ramps if it would have the same impact. An extra benefit of using black instead of white is when the image is not being shown. Would you rather look past the black spaces or stare at the white space?

#4820 4 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Love that. I'd be a hell of a mod.

#4821 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

yes, as usual you pedantic ...

7% of the time in game play, that shot is worth shooting.
When you do, it will oddly kick the ball up to a single drop target, or into nothing, or roll over the corner of the down ramp flap. It is a pretty odd kick out. Possibly the strangest choice I have ever seen for one (I we thought the EV3 kick across the pf to a stand up bank was odd... at least that is somewhat satisfying due to the angle and speed)

#4822 4 years ago

Just played the premium. George Gomez and Gary Stern kindly hosted a group of us to give it a spin at EAG in London. As mentioned by others, the projection effect works really great. I was very impressed. Got straight on the phone to secure a premium. Great job Stern for bringing something fresh to the table. Top marks

#4823 4 years ago

NeilMcRae is it better than Munsters though? ..which you also hyped to the max on the UK forum and told people that they should get the LE/Premium pretty much sight unseen?

#4824 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

Just played the premium. George Gomez and Gary Stern kindly hosted a group of us to give it a spin at EAG in London. As mentioned by others, the projection effect works really great. I was very impressed. Got straight on the phone to secure a premium. Great job Stern for bringing something fresh to the table. Top marks

curious if you are a distributor/ sales for the game?

#4825 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

curious if you are a distributor/ sales for the game?

Absolutely not. I own a coffee shop in London with a downstairs full of pinball machines. We have the pro already and will be upgrading to the premium when they are ready.

You have to witness the projector with your own eyes to appreciate it. It is extremely tricky to photograph well and do it justice. Hope that helps.

#4826 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

How was the dimpling. Let me guess...totally normal craters "just like all games have had for all time"?

Then again you're an operator so I understand why you wouldn't care.

Game is tough as balls with no easy multiball and an unmakeable gorgon shot. Should be a cash cow on location.

#4827 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Game is tough as balls with no easy multiball

5 easy shots to get to telekinesis MB. 3 of them return to a flipper.

#4828 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

How was the dimpling. Let me guess...totally normal craters "just like all games have had for all time"?
Then again you're an operator so I understand why you wouldn't care.
Game is tough as balls with no easy multiball and an unmakeable gorgon shot. Should be a cash cow on location.

Yes correct, normal dimples like every other pinball machine!

I’m a caring operator and competitive player FYI

The game is not particularly tough, demogorgon shot is not an issue if your aim is half decent. The pitch does need tweeking so it sinks into the mouth with ease. Hope that’s answered your questions

#4829 4 years ago

Oh and yes Telekenisis MB is easy to start

#4830 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

5 easy shots to get to telekinesis MB. 3 of them return to a flipper.

um....you have to reactivate the lock shot every time so it's 9....unless they changed the code or i was playing a harder setting?

also the 2 whitewater shots to activate the lock are super dangerous, just like all the center targets and both the (lame as all hell) popouts.

#4831 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

Yes correct, normal dimples like every other pinball machine!
I’m a caring operator and compatible player FYI
The game is not particularly tough, demogorgon shot is not an issue if your aim is half decent. The pitch does need tweeking so it sinks into the mouth with ease. Hope that’s answered your questions

If you think that amount of dimpling after a days play is normal you are absolutely delusional and theres no real talking to you. I notice this is the current Stern talking point that sycophants have latched onto.

This amount of CRATERING is not normal.....I have eyeballs, I'm sorry?

#4832 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

If you think that amount of dimpling after a days play is normal you are absolutely delusional and theres no real talking to you. I notice this is the current Stern talking point that sycophants have latched onto.
This amount of CRATERING is not normal.....I have eyeballs, I'm sorry?

Completely normal. Give it a few thousand plays and they join up. Job done!

#4833 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

um....you have to reactivate the lock shot every time so it's 9....unless they changed the code or i was playing a harder setting?
also the 2 whitewater shots to activate the lock are super dangerous, just like all the center targets and both the (lame as all hell) popouts.

You don’t have to light the lock again on factory settings on 0.81

#4834 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

um....you have to reactivate the lock shot every time so it's 9..

First go around one set of targets lights all three locks. It’s always been that way. Double check your game. Not sure why anyone would change yours from stock.

#4835 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

Completely normal. Give it a few thousand plays and they join up. Job done!

Another delusional lie, BUT OK!!!!

#4836 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

First go around one set of targets lights all three locks. It’s always been that way. Double check your game. Not sure why anyone would change yours from stock.

Like I would ever own this 3rd rate garbage...

Location play only with new Stern.

I must've been just mistaken on the lock system, thought it was every time. Yes 5 shots is fine/easy.

#4837 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Another delusional lie, BUT OK!!!!

Incorrect. But Wow you’re triggered aren’t you. Have a good day sir, take it easy

#4838 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

It should have a Billy mode where you have to “collect” Hawkins Housewives to complete the mode.[quoted image]

I found Billy to be the most annoying character in this show's history.

So he's a heavy metal burnout who drives a Camaro? Ok, we all knew guys like that.

But wait...he's also a big time "karate kid bad guy" jock who rules the basketball court and brutalizes dweebs with his athletic prowess?

Also found his teary death scene out of place...the guy was a huge abusive douche and we never saw an inkling of kindness or any sort of affection between Max and himself. Like, good riddance bro!

Seems like they wanted two wildly different characters but only had time for one.

#4839 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Then it worked. He's supposed to be.

#4840 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

Like I would ever own this 3rd rate garbage...
Location play only with new Stern.
I must've been just mistaken on the lock system, thought it was every time. Yes 5 shots is fine/easy.

Why are you even on this thread?

To make yourself miserable?

Nice job.

#4841 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So he's a heavy metal burnout who drives a Camaro? Ok, we all knew guys like that.
But wait...he's also a big time "karate kid bad guy" jock who rules the basketball court and brutalizes dweebs with his athletic prowess?
Also found his teary death scene out of place...the guy was a huge abusive douche and we never saw an inkling of kindness or any sort of affection between Max and himself. Like, good riddance bro!
Seems like they wanted two wildly different characters but only had time for one.

His role was perfect in Season 3.

I think it was perfect, it showed his upbringing and how he became the person you just described. You saw when eleven got into his head what memories were there of his abusive parents and crazy things that happened in his life. You saw the moments when he was in the sauna and had a small window of clarity of what was happening he broke down and started crying before the Mind Flayer took over again.

I believe his character completely came together during those moments and it was perfect. You're supposed to just feel bad for the guy at the end.. a broken guy who really never had a chance to make amends to those he hurt along the way.. because deep down inside he was a broken child from a broken home.

Those who can relate understand and truly enjoyed his character for what it was in S3. Such an awesome show.

#4842 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

You have to witness the projector with your own eyes to appreciate it. It is extremely tricky to photograph well and do it justice. Hope that helps.

good to know and thanks for the heads up.

Hope to check it out sometime. Unfortunately from what I have seen on video thus far I would not be interested in buying at this time.

#4843 4 years ago

That demigorgan was the real bad guy.....breaking and entering, kidnapping, murder, bitchy disposition, bad breath...

#4844 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

good to know and thanks for the heads up.
Hope to check it out sometime. Unfortunately from what I have seen on video thus far I would not be interested in buying at this time.

No problem and good luck finding one to play in person

#4845 4 years ago

Thanks for the info chief!
Billy I hated so much I loved him! Definitely had guys like that in Everyway
When I was younger and they scared the crap out of me haha

#4846 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

Jack does a good job live streaming, but I don’t get why Stern does it this way??? It is not a controlled narrative. It should be done similar to the PAPA videos, with the designer only playing the game in a controlled environment. Without a side chat going, of a bunch of people, both with good and bad comments, all live. No industry does live reveals of new products this way. Live streaming almost always, does not show any game in the best light (no pun intended for ST projector).
A controlled presentation, showing the game in the best way possible, with a designer/programmer making comments, while a pro is playing the game, after editing out bad takes, would yield far better results. Can you imagine the movie industry live streaming an unedited movie before showing it in the theater, with viewers making live comments??? It would be disastrous!

Could the players hear the game at least? I remember when they did the BKSoR stream from the Stern lunchroom and for some lame technical reason nobody playing the game could hear it at all. So a group of players who are supposed to be showing how fun the game is are forced to play without friggin' *hearing it*. Everytime Steve Ritchie came up to play he'd say something about "can't hear it". It was sad.

They should have delayed the stream until they sorted the technical issue, IMHO.

#4847 4 years ago

Does anyone know the ship dates for Stranger Things LE from Stern to distributors?

#4848 4 years ago
Quoted from Tricyclejon:

Does anyone know the ship dates for Stranger Things LE from Stern to distributors?

End of Jan/beginning of Feb. Premiums are the end of Feb-ish.

#4849 4 years ago
Quoted from Tricyclejon:

Last week of January or first week of Feb

#4850 4 years ago

When they do these live streams...
I would much prefer if they turned the volume of the pin way up.
I want to hear the call outs / music / effects etc......
They can save the chit chat at the intro and start of each pin game session.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Covington, GA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Trade
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 97 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/97 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.