IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 144.
#4751 4 years ago

Posted in wrong thread.

#4752 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Posted in wrong thread.

Isn't that about 80% of the posts in here this past week? No one would have noticed.

#4753 4 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Are all LE’s gone?

Nope, you can still find LEs, there’s like 3 on pinside tagged at the bottom of this thread.

#4754 4 years ago

The first Stranger Things in the UK has just landed at Chief Coffee in London

E36D0296-7897-4139-8575-2F047FCA7584 (resized).jpegE36D0296-7897-4139-8575-2F047FCA7584 (resized).jpeg
#4755 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

The first Stranger Things in the UK has just landed at Chief Coffee in London[quoted image]

Is the series popular in the UK?

#4756 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is the series popular in the UK?

Yes extremely

#4757 4 years ago

I’m still on the fence after looking at the deadflip post... you pretty much need to play the thing in the dark. Not saying it doesn’t look cool but for the extra coin your just getting visuals. The magnetic ball lock is nice but still meh. So is it worth the extra coin I guess is the question.

#4758 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I’m still on the fence after looking at the deadflip post... you pretty much need to play the thing in the dark. Not saying it doesn’t look cool but for the extra coin your just getting visuals. The magnetic ball lock is nice but still meh. So is it worth the extra coin I guess is the question.

Agree. All hinges on how 'wowed' you are by some visuals. And just how much they enhance gameplay , the code/rules interaction .Do they really matter or are they effectively just eye candy ?

They look ok but personally I'd much rather some mechanical doodahs , more interesting playfield design. I feel exactly the same about small screens on the playfield.

#4759 4 years ago

Ouch! Stranger Things Pro makes its debut in the Pinside top 100 or should I say top 111. Not a good start but its early only 17 reviews are in!

Need to get more people to leave their reviews as they learn more about the game. I've never seen a new stern so low... Beatles got pretty low but right now its sitting at 77. As I said before the issue isn't the projector its do you like the game? The pro doesn't have a projector and its coming in at 111.

I'm sure it will work its way up but how high? Clearly its not the new Deadpool or something like that.

#4760 4 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Ouch! Stranger Things Pro makes its debut in the Pinside top 100 or should I say top 111. Not a good start but its early only 17 reviews are in!
Need to get more people to leave their reviews as they learn more about the game. I've never seen a new stern so low... Beatles got pretty low but right now its sitting at 77. As I said before the issue isn't the projector its do you like the game? The pro doesn't have a projector and its coming in at 111.
I'm sure it will work its way up but how high? Clearly its not the new Deadpool or something like that.

likely ranked so low because the Demagorgon shot is beefed. Also due to broken 1-way gates, broken up-posts on left ramp, and other various out of box issues, the experience has not had much chance of being positive.

I personally find it fun to shot in a general sense, but the demagorgon is just something to avoid now. Also the left 'dead-end kicker' is just odd. On all 3 I have played, you hit what is a pretty tough shot and it kicks up to graze a drop target or two (pretty pointless, esp when you already have those drop targets down or when the ramp is already down and then it just shoots to nothing of any value.) Basically the dead end kicker becomes a shot not worth hitting or even worth avoiding since it provides a lateral and unpredictable return.

#4761 4 years ago

Got one on location nearby last week. Seems like a fun shot layout with decent flow. Modes are pretty basic at the moment though, and the Demagorgon ramp shot is nearly impossible. Seems like a poor design.

#4762 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

I'm with ya. Even with the shades pulled down in that Deadflip video the projected image looks a bit washed out and not very vibrant. The use of projector mapping in a pin is a cool and innovative feature but after seeing how it looks I would prefer more physical features (the main draw of pinball in the first place) over one that doesn't really interact with the ball. Then again it may look much better in person.

I see some comments being made hoping that the projector isn't like the Ecto Goggles in Ghostbusters in terms of it needing more variety. That needs to happen as unlike Ghostbusters premium / LE which has multiple other physical features to fall back on Stranger Things premium / LE, besides the magnetic ball lock, does not.

As of now not much changes with the projected images based on mode. "WILL", the rotating arcade sign, and the same ramp arrows are there with every mode. The only thing really unique are the video clips which are already represented on the main display. Why is there a rotating arcade sign during every mode? There should be a purpose to it such as appearing when an arcade related mode is lit. Hopefully a lot more animations and variety to them are coming.

#4763 4 years ago

The STLE laser would have been perfect for Stranger Things could of had it in white or a grey/blue to simulate the ash in the upside down, drop out the GI and turn it red/purple few flashes.

At the moment the upside down seems almost uneventful, it should be a big visual change like in the show.

#4764 4 years ago

That left side saucer shot always seems to bounce out. Poor design. A scoop would have been a much better choice. Unfortunately that would have added a buck twenty to the BOM. Can’t have that on a $9k machine can we.

#4765 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

The STLE laser would have been perfect for Stranger Things could of had it in white or a grey/blue to simulate the ash in the upside down, drop out the GI and turn it red/purple few flashes.
At the moment the upside down seems almost uneventful, it should be a big visual change like in the show.

Yeah. Take the scene below where Jonathan is trying to find Nancy who's in upside down. The game could visually change with lighting, LCD, and sound effects when in the upside down, swap back to Jonathan's perspective with another change in effects, and then back again. That would be some nice mode choreography to see and would have more of an impact then a basic hurry up mode. Maybe there's something like this already in the game?

#4766 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The only thing really unique are the video clips which are already represented on the main display. Why is there a rotating arcade sign during every mode?

This is my main big concern for long term enjoyment in a home environment. If this game is just mainly focused on x# shots-with every mode and every mode is random then it will just be a high score game and not a journey game for me. Where is the story line with random modes? Complete this mode-complete next mode-rinse and repeat. Now add in a couple static images that are on repeat and it will make the game feel like chopping wood-really quick. I like completing objectives towards a goal-not trying to get multipliers, bonuses and completing the same mode objectives over and over. I want to feel like I accomplished something and I want variety. I think this game will be much like BM66 where it took 6 months after release just to make the game enjoyable with code. I have mentioned it several times but I want to see x# shots on modes have variety by having x# shot rotate or have single x shot hurry ups or something? I am not sure just adding cool clips and music(Cleland remix) will push me over the fence on this or not? I need more code(cowbell).

#4767 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah. Take the scene below where Jonathan is trying to find Nancy who's in upside down. The game could visually change with lighting, LCD, and sound effects when in the upside down, swap back to Jonathan's perspective with another change in effects, and then back again. That would be some nice mode choreography to see and would have more of an impact then a basic hurry up mode. Maybe there's something like this already in the game?

Currently The upside down is a hurry up mode involving the 4 drops. Maybe they add that in future code updates. The LCD just displays the mind flair.

Im assuming we will see a lot more code updates on this. The Pro is awesome. For anyone on the fence, dive in, this game is a rush.

#4768 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

Yes extremely

not really lol - 1.3m is the average viewing rate across the show; which in the UK is ok but not great.

Star Trek Discovery is much bigger (and biggest streaming show in the UK).

Neil.

#4769 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

This is my main big concern for long term enjoyment in a home environment. If this game is just mainly focused on x shots-with every mode and every mode is random then it will just be a high score game and not a journey game for me. Where is the story line with random modes? Complete this mode-complete next mode-rinse and repeat. Now add in a couple static images that are on repeat and it will make the game feel like chopping wood-really quick. I like completing objectives towards a goal-not trying to get multipliers, bonuses and completing the same mode objectives over and over. I want to feel like I accomplished something and I want variety. I think this game will be much like BM66 where it took 6 months after release just to make the game enjoyable with code. I have mentioned it several times but I want to see x shots on modes have variety by having x shot rotate or have single x shot hurry ups or something? I am not sure just adding cool clips and music(Cleland remix) will push me over the fence on this or not? I need more code(cowbell).

This is def a high score game, with the tantalizing hurry up and Demo shot mixed in.

It has a ton of variety though, I’m not going to get bored of this anytime soon. And this is sitting next to a JP2 Prem in my basement. I love JP2, but have been playing stranger things constantly, and I’ve owned a lot of pins over the years. It’s a fast, one more game type of pin. Lots of secrets left with the massive mystery screen.

#4770 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

not really lol - 1.3m is the average viewing rate across the show; which in the UK is ok but not great.
Neil.

No Neil, 1.3m is viewing figures from 2017 during the first release week of series 2.
It’s grown in popularity massively in the last two years

‘A fifth of UK Netflix subscribers watched Stranger Things in the first week of its series two launch, new YouGov research shows.

The research indicates that of the 6.5 million UK Netflix subscribers, 1.3 million tuned into the programme – either to watch the first series, or view the new episodes.’

#4771 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

Yes Neil, 1.3m as of figures in 2017.
It’s grown in popularity massively in the last two years
‘A fifth of UK Netflix subscribers watched Stranger Things in the first week of its series two launch, new YouGov research shows.
The research indicates that of the 6.5 million UK Netflix subscribers, 1.3 million tuned into the programme – either to watch the first series, or view the new episodes.’

#4772 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

This is def a high score game, with the tantalizing hurry up and Demo shot mixed in.

I feel like SRT is like my GOTG. A game heavy on bonuses & multipliers with rinse and repeat modes. It is a fun game but how many of these style games do I need in my line up? I feel like I would need to get rid of GOTG to get a SRT? I really like GOTG theme and music, so it would be hard for me to consider swapping them out? Now if they can do something with cookie cutter modes-it will get me interested.

#4773 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I totally agree, they need to do something? The purple GI's do not illuminate that much and from the brief video I have seen the white debree flakes are not very pronounced. It may be different in a pitch black game room but in a moderately lit room-it really does not do much. I recommend a slow random on/off fade for purple GI's during mode and maybe add a strobe effect to projector with flakes in the air? I think they have the assets to make it cool-just needs execution.

#4774 4 years ago

nah it hasn't, in the UK according to survey its stayed about the same; Netflix doesn't release UK data unfortunately.

Its ok but not great.

but what do I know

#4775 4 years ago

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07K5LSJCC/ref=psdcmw_3736651_t1_B081SZKS7R

I think this shouldn’t be too hard to implement this into the game

#4776 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

nah it hasn't, in the UK according to survey its stayed about the same; Netflix doesn't release UK data unfortunately.
Its ok but not great.
but what do I know

You stated that the average viewing figures were 1.3m which is incorrect. It was 1.3m for the initial week of season 2 release. And yes it has grown in popularity since 2017.
It’s ok you’re forgiven you must have jet lag! How was INDISC?

#4777 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I think this shouldn’t be too hard to implement this into the game

Wow those are cool! You could use those for lots of mods. Thinking those would be really cool shining on ceiling above Star Trek.

#4778 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wow those are cool! You could use those for lots of mods. Thinking those would be really cool shining on ceiling above Star Trek.

I’d think you could snake it into the apron and project onto the playfield. Issue would be triggering it to tie into the gameplay. I have some ideas to a usb switch. Need to just find a trigger for when it fires. I think a flasher should do during
The upside down

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN®-LCUS-1-module-intelligent-control/dp/B01CN7E0RQ/ref=asc_df_B01CN7E0RQ/

#4779 4 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I’d think you could snake it into the apron and project onto the playfield. Issue would be triggering it to tie into the gameplay. I have some ideas to a usb switch

Not sure it would work for SRT. Debree flakes need to be floating around and moving. That projector just projects a still image. Would be cool for illumination under or above the machine?

#4780 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

You stated that the average viewing figures were 1.3m which is incorrect. It was 1.3m for the initial week of season 2 release. And yes it has grown in popularity since 2017.
It’s ok you’re forgiven you must have jet lag! How was INDISC?

not sure where you are getting your figures from, but we get ratings for programmes at the TV company that I work for. Streaming programmes are hard when the broadcaster doesn't release them but we can infer based on survey and internal data, hopefully netflix (and others) release the data. My personal view based on that is that it's ok but not great. In the US it's huge no question.

Neil.

#4781 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Not sure it would work for SRT. Debree flakes need to be floating around and moving. That projector just projects a still image. Would be cool for illumination under or above the machine?

I dunno if they make one that moves in a compact enough package to suit our needs. Me personally I’d want it as hidden as possible and putting outside the game I’d think the glass would be an issue, I will make one when my LE arrives. Cheap enough investment

#4782 4 years ago

oh and INDISC was excellent but very hard!

#4783 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

not sure where you are getting your figures from, but we get ratings for programmes at the TV company that I work for. Streaming programmes are hard when the broadcaster doesn't release them but we can infer based on survey and internal data, hopefully netflix (and others) release the data. My personal view based on that is that it's ok but not great. In the US it's huge no question.
Neil.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/11/30/fifth-uk-netflix-subscribers-saw-stranger-things-s

#4784 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

oh and INDISC was excellent but very hard!

Yes dude! Looking forward to seeing your trophy

#4785 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Posted in wrong thread.

How is this in the wrong thread? Thread name is stern stranger things...

#4786 4 years ago

NeilMcRae Secret Cinema and Primark (!) are currently going Stranger Things crazy. The whole of their flagship Oxford street store is plastered in promos for ST

https://www.secretcinema.org/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/10706791/primark-stranger-things-fans-shop-makeover-upside-down/
7C9115B3-12BD-4445-A1DF-BD31C2865223 (resized).jpeg7C9115B3-12BD-4445-A1DF-BD31C2865223 (resized).jpeg

#4787 4 years ago
Quoted from Chief:

neilmcrae Secret Cinema and Primark (!) are currently going Stranger Things crazy. The whole of their flagship Oxford street store is plastered in promos for ST
https://www.secretcinema.org/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/10706791/primark-stranger-things-fans-shop-makeover-upside-down/
[quoted image]

Yep - just anecdotally I know but pretty much everyone I know has watched Stranger Things, likes Stranger Things, their kids watch Stranger Things - a lot ! , they all know about Stranger Things, they all want more stranger Things ............. I have heard precisely nobody in my social circles mention Star Trek Discovery. And I personally have seen little written about this in the mainstream UK press compared to ST.

#4788 4 years ago

I don’t think the guardian counts as “mainstream press” dood. But keep your anecdotes

#4789 4 years ago

So today I got to see and play the premium.

All this noise about the projector is total nonsense. Even in a very_ well lit room at EAG the projection was great. Darker yes it’s better but I can’t imagine any of us playing near the sun and even then...

The projector content is super cool. Different symbols appear on the switches; countdowns drive different points and the backbox is lit up by the projector in a cool way. I was in two minds to change my LE order to an Elvira but I’m sticking with it. I was also able to hit the gorgon shot several times.

Neil.

#4790 4 years ago

Thanks for the info Neil!

#4791 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

All this noise about the projector is total nonsense. Even in a very_ well lit room at EAG the projection was great. Darker yes it’s better but I can’t imagine any of us playing near the sun and even then...
The projector content is super cool. Different symbols appear on the switches; countdowns drive different points and the backbox is lit up by the projector in a cool way. I was in two minds to change my LE order to an Elvira but I’m sticking with it. I was also able to hit the gorgon shot several times.
Neil.

Awesome news. It's good to hear you liked the content.

I'm hoping for some cool rules to the modes where we have hit targets/shots in certain way/order and that is communicated to the player by the projector. Obviously, there is a ton of potential here considering how many different surfaces it can project onto.

#4792 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

Awesome news. It's good to hear you liked the content.
I'm hoping for some cool rules to the modes where we have hit targets/shots in certain way/order and that is communicated to the player by the projector. Obviously, there is a ton of potential here considering how many different surfaces it can project onto.

From what I saw that is the direction as well as giving you messages about what to shoot and when. Having seen it in person now I really think the concept has a lot of things you can do with it.

#4793 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

The projector content is super cool.
Neil.

It’s like you are describing another game.

#4794 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

It’s like you are describing another game.

No; I’m describing what I saw with my own eyes_ versus a poorly set up camera (with a CCD that does alsorts of shit with an image and a backlight on the camera that was washing everything out and casting artefacts all over the place ).

#4795 4 years ago

This whole projector issue feels so disingenuous. Mini projectors are dirt cheap and everywhere, it would be hard for even Stern to find one so cheap it couldn't shine a couple feet and light up like a few square inches. I don't think they could get this wrong if they tried. I know a lot of pinballers are not exactly current when it comes to tech but come on maybe 5 years ago this would have been an issue.

#4796 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

No; I’m describing what I saw with my own eyes_ versus a poorly set up camera (with a CCD that does alsorts of shit with an image and a backlight on the camera that was washing everything out and casting artefacts all over the place ).

Any video or not worth posting bc it dont capture well?

#4797 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Ok then. Had to ask. I'm still a bit sceptical. Since usually people have different expectations and opinions about stuff, what's good enough or great (like audio and video quality).

Is there a reason why Stern is not streaming a premium with "correctly" set up camera and lighting? Currently people are making purchase decisions based on these "wrongly lit" videos. And these are not impressive.

#4798 4 years ago

Jack Danger and Stern will stream the premium on Thursday. You'll be able to make up your own mind.

Quoted from ViperVS:

Ok then. Had to ask. I'm still a bit sceptical. Since usually people have different expectations and opinions about stuff, what's good enough or great (like audio and video quality).
Is there a reason why Stern is not streaming a premium with "correctly" set up camera and lighting? Currently people are making purchase decisions based on these "wrongly lit" videos. And these are not impressive.

#4799 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

Is there a reason why Stern is not streaming a premium with "correctly" set up camera and lighting?

Code wasn’t ready. It will be Thursday when jack streams it.

#4800 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

I believe they wanted to add more code and features to the projector to really show it off and what it will be capable of with future updates. The stream Thursday sld have code that's not out yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 18.95
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/96?hl=pinchild and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.