IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 144.
#4351 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I bet if the projector was looking awesome with a super bright picture Gary would not have a problem with people taking video. Seems like he is embarrassed knowing you can barely see it. Stern might have to break down and actually buy projectors that are brighter.

No, I think what's actually happening is that people have been cancelling their orders because of Stern's big screw up here on not doing an initial stream/reveal showing the projector in the proper way, and the distributors are raising hell with Gary and Stern because of it. So now, they are trying to cover up their blunder. They should have never shown the projector at CES first. It should have been streamed in the proper environment set up to show off the projector before ever being shown at CES.

#4352 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I bet if the projector was looking awesome with a super bright picture Gary would not have a problem with people taking video. Seems like he is embarrassed knowing you can barely see it. Stern might have to break down and actually buy projectors that are brighter.

The easy route would be for Stern to simply change out that white screen material with a grey high-gain reflective screen material. It would literally solve the issue and make it much more visible in brighter rooms and even better when it's dark. Not sure why they went with the white screen with so much light pollution from the inserts and GI. The ramps especially could use them and even hide the dirt better than will accumulate on them from the balls.

#4353 4 years ago

Wow this projector reveal. Seems like this is the place to talk about that aspect and after seeing an overwhelming of wtf moments (that cnet video was a car wreck), this last one where stern himself is now telling people in 2020 to stop taking a video of a machine he brought for people to enjoy.....? Very amateur. Planning on this seems like an afterthought which is surprising.

What I want to know is how are the videos we're seeing so washed out on cnet + almost every random ces attendees footage but Jack's looks better? Not implying Jack is doing something - he's a good guy but the angle must be so important.

I just hope they don't restrict the video assets on the pro to make their premium/le more desirable.

#4354 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I just hope they don't restrict the video assets on the pro to make their premium/le more desirable.

I’ve already seen lots of assets on the projector that are currently not on the pro.

#4355 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve already seen lots of assets on the projector that are currently not on the pro.

Yeah that's a bummer. Hope they update the pro code to include.

I just realized I think in pinbrowser you can add video. If so I'll see if I can locate the video, extract and inject into pro....

#4356 4 years ago

No question the CES launch is a mess - just the irony of banning phone footage at a Consumer Electronic Show in 2020.

The whole reason you exhibit at these shows for “free” publicity. Now it just looks like they’re trying to cover something up.

Gary, just send someone out to buy a $50 marquee from Bunnings/Masters and stick it over the game and at least try and rescue what’s remaining of this train wreck.

#4357 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Kind of like that certain person who “derangement syndrome” is generally associated with, criticism does not equal derangement.

It does when it goes beyond ridiculous

And here it def has

Ever hear of JP? One of the greatest pins ever

Elvira is a F ing blast to play

This game looks like it’s gonna kick ass

Same Stern derangement syndrome crybabies every single F ing time

And most of them ain’t buying a game anyhow

If they were, it’s simple math, IF they were shit versus huge successes then how the F do they grow sales every year by 20%%

Oh yeah, I forgot about JP, DP now, BM66, TWD, GB, AS, SW, ST, IMDN, GOTG, GOT, Munsters, Elvira, STH ......

Where the F do you think you are getting a pin like that if you want one?

YOU may be in total denial but 20% plus a yr aren’t.

I just got done having a blast flipping my JP and Elvira

Now I’m waiting on STHLE because I love the theme.

Pinside does NOT get the Mensa award FFS

Let the marketing, artists, designers and creative guys run the company and they will destroy it Lickety split. Fact of business life

Let’s see what the projector looks like next week on the stream

Stern Derangement syndrome yet all I see is #winning

Boom boom, drop the F ing mic

#4358 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It does when it goes beyond ridiculous
And here it def has
Ever hear of JP? One of the greatest pins ever
Elvira is a F ing blast to play
This game looks like it’s gonna kick ass
Same Stern derangement syndrome crybabies every single F ing time
And most of them ain’t buying a game anyhow
If they were, it’s simple math, IF they were shit versus huge successes then how the F do they grow sales every year by 20%%
Oh yeah, I forgot about JP, DP now, BM66, TWD, GB, AS, SW, ST, IMDN, GOTG, GOT, Munsters, Elvira, STH ......
Where the F do you think you are getting a pin like that if you want one?
YOU may be in total denial but 20% plus a yr aren’t.
I just got done having a blast flipping my JP and Elvira
Now I’m waiting on STHLE because I love the theme.
Pinside does NOT get the Mensa award FFS
Let the marketing, artists, designers and creative guys run the company and they will destroy it Lickety split. Fact of business life
Let’s see what the projector looks like next week on the stream
Stern Derangement syndrome yet all I see is #winning

slow clap

#4359 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:Ever hear of JP? One of the greatest pins ever

Even when you're drunk you have a point Ice.

As someone else said, no matter what happens Stern are more than likely to get my money.

But the projector still looks crap at CES. Lets just all be honest here. Who knows WTF it looks like in a dark room.

#4360 4 years ago

I think the part he doesn't quite understand is that if we wanted them, we'd have them. If we don't want them, well..not sure why he thinks his opinion trumps everyone elses. If you enjoy them, have at them, quit telling everyone else how to spend their money. If you want an echo chamber go sing in the shower. Always amazes me people who get so worked up over people being critical of a product (that has NOTHING to do with them). It's almost like they are trying to convince themselves.

#4361 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The easy route would be for Stern to simply change out that white screen material with a grey high-gain reflective screen material. It would literally solve the issue and make it much more visible in brighter rooms and even better when it's dark.

Sorry to say that would not help. The material you refer to is retro-reflective. It's what road signs and cop car graphics are made of.

It reflects light back as directly as possible to the source - which in this pin's case is the projector, not your eyes. It cannot be angled either as the effect is a result of millions of tiny round glass balls (so the angle of the substrate is irrelevant)

Jeri Ellsworth made a product which uses this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiltfive/holographic-tabletop-gaming The projector is actually in the glasses so most of the light does indeed return to your eyes. Anyone else looking at the material sees basically nothing.

#4362 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Make Projectors Great Again!

#4363 4 years ago

For this one it is all going to come down to code integration for me. It feels like Stern is pushing this one out of the gate quickly and we will be beta testers for the interterm.

Beta test...jpgBeta test...jpgBeta test..jpgBeta test..jpgBeta test.pngBeta test.png
#4364 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Even when you're drunk you have a point Ice.
As someone else said, no matter what happens Stern are more than likely to get my money.
But the projector still looks crap at CES. Lets just all be honest here. Who knows WTF it looks like in a dark room.

Dark room Cooked?

I can make it dark as F

CES ain’t my home and I control the environment

It’s a projector. Not 4K HDTV

I have common sense most of the time

You know I am the voice of reason brother!

It’s not hard to be high on pinball right now

Fun times

Buy what you like

Old, new, used, shitty, perfect, whatever floats the boat

#4365 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It’s not hard to be high on pinball right now

Fun times

Buy what you like

Old, new, used, shitty, perfect, whatever floats the boat

Iceman when you are playing your Jurrassic Park game with its pooling, chipping, and cratered up playfield do you just pretend that it's part of the rough Terrain in Jurassic Park so that it doesnt bother you?

#4366 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Iceman when you are playing your Jurrassic Park game with its pooling, chipping, and cratered up playfield do you just pretend that it's part of the rough Terrain in Jurassic Park so that it doesnt bother you?

Just buy one WD. You know you’re going to have to at some point.

#4367 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Sorry to say that would not help. The material you refer to is retro-reflective. It's what road signs and cop car graphics are made of.
It reflects light back as directly as possible to the source - which in this pin's case is the projector, not your eyes. It cannot be angled either as the effect is a result of millions of tiny round glass balls (so the angle of the substrate is irrelevant)
Jeri Ellsworth made a product which uses this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tiltfive/holographic-tabletop-gaming The projector is actually in the glasses so most of the light does indeed return to your eyes. Anyone else looking at the material sees basically nothing.

@benheck sorry to say but you are 100% wrong and @kpg is right. I designed and installed custom home cinemas professionally using projectors for 7 years. He is not talking about retro-reflective material like on road signs or the glass beads on roadway markings...he is talking about a high-gain screen which in home cinema is what’s needed when there is a lot of ambient light. A high-gain screen improves perceived contrast ratio making the image brighter and pop, however, black levels suffer compared to a 1.0 gain screen. On-axis and off-axis viewing are both excellent with any front projector/screen combination. A high-gain material is exactly what would help the projector on STh when ambient light conditions are not ideal.

#4368 4 years ago

Guys I just took this myself at CES

The projector looks MUCH better in person. Premium/LE saved!

20200108_214547 (resized).jpg20200108_214547 (resized).jpg
#4369 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

@benheck sorry to say but you are 100% wrong and @kpg is right. I designed and installed custom home cinemas professionally using projectors for 7 years. He is not talking about retro-reflective material like on road signs or the glass beads on roadway markings...he is talking about a high-gain screen which in home cinema is what’s needed when there is a lot of ambient light. A high-gain screen improves perceived contrast ratio making the image brighter and pop, however, black levels suffer compared to a 1.0 gain screen. On-axis and off-axis viewing are both excellent with any front projector/screen combination. A high-gain material is exactly what would help the projector on STh when ambient light conditions are not ideal.

Duly noted. So why didn't they use one? Is the cost difference that severe?

#4370 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

The projector looks MUCH better in person. Premium/LE saved![quoted image]

If only the projector looked as good as that pro there.

#4371 4 years ago
Quoted from wrb1977:

Thanks for this, you saved me time writing a response to Ben. Exactly what I meant. Stern could do a solid and just change the material out and it would be a cheap way to improve the contrast ratio without having to change out the projector units.

#4372 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Mine is perfect Terry Get the JP!!!

But it does have dimples

#4373 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I would assume in this situation it isn't a cost issue of using the white screen vs high-gain grey screen.

To be honest, it could have just came down to oversight and not using the right material. Because from some of the pics I've seen the light output of the projector seems adequate but it's just shining on the wrong surface.

I'll post this pic again for reference, same projector and light output... Just white screen vs grey screen

hqdefault (1) (resized).jpghqdefault (1) (resized).jpg
#4374 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

If Delt says it. So be it!

LE in Feb

#4375 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Thanks for this, you saved me time writing a response to Ben. Exactly what I meant. Stern could do a solid and just change the material out and it would be a cheap way to improve the contrast ratio without having to change out the projector units.

Is this other stuff noticeably more gray? So one can tell by looking at the machine if they're using it or not?

#4376 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

No worries! The cost difference as far as projector screens goes is negligible.

#4377 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Is this other stuff noticeably more gray? So one can tell by looking at the machine if they're using it or not?

Yeah the screen material would be grey.

They are literally using the worst material for the application.. a matte white screen.

CG3D-vs-Matte-White-Tech-Tip (resized).pngCG3D-vs-Matte-White-Tech-Tip (resized).pnggrey_vision_vs_cinema_white (resized).jpggrey_vision_vs_cinema_white (resized).jpg
#4378 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

That was you in front of me?

DF116FAF-AAC6-41CC-A01C-0C10E3D615F8 (resized).jpegDF116FAF-AAC6-41CC-A01C-0C10E3D615F8 (resized).jpeg
#4379 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

That was you in front of me?[quoted image]

Wow, those Pro’s look like.......Pro’s.

#4380 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Well, better projectors on the LE, at least. Naaah...that ain't happening.

#4381 4 years ago

The projection mapping could be a great addition to pinball! I expect to see it more and more implemented, from all manufacturers. This is Sterns stamp. They will either set the bar, or just add the idea...and be left behind. Will Stern go all in, or want a cost grab? This could be revolutionary, but they have to go all in and not try to milk the money yet. Remember. The first generation of anything is the bar...it is the beginning, unless it is done with no holds barred.

#4382 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

The projection mapping could be a great addition to pinball! I expect to see it more and more implemented, from all manufacturers. This is Sterns stamp. They will either set the bar, or just add the idea...and be left behind. Will Stern go all in, or want a cost grab? This could be revolutionary, but they have to go all in and not try to milk the money yet. Remember. The first generation of anything is the bar...it is the beginning, unless it is done with no holds barred.

Rather than projection mapping I think the better alternative would be the new advances in screens. Not cheap enough at the moment, but imagine everything having translucent programmable lcd screens on them (of course with some sort of protection).

#4383 4 years ago
3ll53q (resized).jpg3ll53q (resized).jpg
#4384 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Rather than projection mapping I think the better alternative would be the new advances in screens. Not cheap enough at the moment, but imagine everything having translucent programmable lcd screens on them (of course with some sort of protection).

With the advancement of the screens...you may be right. VR, or augmented VR is next.

#4385 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The easy route would be for Stern to simply change out that white screen material with a grey high-gain reflective screen material. It would literally solve the issue and make it much more visible in brighter rooms and even better when it's dark. Not sure why they went with the white screen with so much light pollution from the inserts and GI. The ramps especially could use them and even hide the dirt better than will accumulate on them from the balls.

All your projector posts seem to be confusing gain with contrast. A high gain screen does nothing here expect reflect more ambient light than a lower gain screen. If anything it should be a gain less than 1.0 to help absorb some ambient light. But, then you need a bright enough projector to compensate.

EDIT: Weird. A bunch of posts just showed up after I posted that seem to cover this. Oh well.

#4386 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

They are literally using the worst material for the application.. a matte white screen.

Probably a very easy mod if you can get small pieces of positive gain material.

#4387 4 years ago

I got my projector upgrade all ready to go.
helmet (resized).PNGhelmet (resized).PNG

#4388 4 years ago

You are F ing confusing the shit out of me KPG. I just have to skip over your projection posts. I'm not buying a projection TV, I'll go 4k for that.

#4389 4 years ago

I was a little disappointed with the Stranger Things projector mapping at the Stern CES booth. Not sure if policy changed from previous days, but they allowed me to video my games.

20200108_192210 (resized).jpg20200108_192210 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200108-191959_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200108-191959_Gallery (resized).jpg
#4390 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

You are F ing confusing the shit out of me KPG. I just have to skip over your projection posts. I'm not buying a projection TV, I'll go 4k for that.

Sorry brotha.. might be a bit confusing for you to understand because if I recall you are an attorney and not a tech guy haha

#4391 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

They are literally using the worst material for the application.. a matte white screen.[quoted image][quoted image]

I am wondering....are you sure what they are using on the game IS white and not grey? I mean those Kenwood speaker cones look white, but they are actually grey. Is it possible that they ARE using the grey material you are talking about, but it's just hard to spot in the pictures?

#4392 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lol Ice, now you're mixing old school TV tech with current screen rez standards. I think you'd struggle to buy anything in 'projection TV' that isn't already 10 years old . Now 4K projectors (lamp and laser), that's my forte personally (in the right environments of course).

Quoted from kpg:

Sorry brotha.. might be a bit confusing for you to understand because if I recall you are an attorney and not a tech guy haha

would be the same if I asked my best buddy who owns a law firm no doubt

#4393 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No
The ball just gets a lot of air from stand-up targets being shot head on (fan layout) and the drop targets going head on. The ramp shots always end up in the monster area or behind it.

check out my brackets as there is an issue with stern's standup targets as they are not learning forward like the 90's bally's and lower so the ball hit just above the rivet head

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GRBNG4DQK/stern-target-bracket-v2-5deg2mm?optionId=63971960&li=marketplace

#4394 4 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

check out my brackets as there is an issue with stern's standup targets as they are not learning forward like the 90's bally's and lower so the ball hit just above the rivet head
https://www.shapeways.com/product/GRBNG4DQK/stern-target-bracket-v2-5deg2mm?optionId=63971960&li=marketplace

I can attest that these work great. Cut out 2x/3x standup airballs on Ghostbusters almost completely.

#4395 4 years ago
D0B07135-2F05-4809-8B90-0C88A9B3558C (resized).jpegD0B07135-2F05-4809-8B90-0C88A9B3558C (resized).jpeg
#4396 4 years ago
Group@2x (resized).pngGroup@2x (resized).png
#4397 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

[quoted image]

`LMAO

#4399 4 years ago

Gotta admit, Stern's marketing team is quite good! What a brilliant way to market their latest pinball machine on this billboard I came across on the freeway tonight.

STh.jpgSTh.jpg
#4400 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Will you be ordering and cancelling all deep root games or just sticking with the Stern LE plan?
Oy vey!

Hey, Deeproot is saying they have a release date again lol. He still has plenty of time to flip flop a few dozen times.

Screenshot_20200109-001851_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200109-001851_Chrome (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 10.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
8,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 88 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/88?hl=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.