IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 144.
#4301 4 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

An actual stream of it is coming soon with more content for the projector. One of the reasons I’m not streaming it at CES

I wish Stern had let you stream the LE/Prem before it went to CES, would have cleared a lot up that's for sure.

Your stream should give the most accurate representation of how it will look I am hoping, so I am looking forward to that !

#4302 4 years ago

Wanted - technology to display various images at a distance of two feet (short throw) and a size of 5x7 inches (small) in a lit environment (bright).

Solution - anything other than a projector because that won’t work well. Stern’s deciding on a projector mapping technology in a pinball machine was a poor one and destined to fail from the start, yet they stayed with this approach.

#4303 4 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

“Have you heard of photoshop”
I’m still a novice to posting in here and knowing the personalities, but man some of the stuff people want to be conspiracies is hilarious.
Here’s a quick vid I recorded FROM the bright con floor just now. If you need me to record more from my phone and say your name or date or flash my Illuminati badge, let me know.

How dare you show us the projector working well. We all suspected a company that’s tripled in size over the past 5 years to be blind and oblivious to their products. Not to actually put out a well designed product.Get the pitch forks boys!!

#4304 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Ok, sounds good. I'm just hoping the projector isn't the ecto-goggles 2.0 with the limited animations.

That's my worry. Stern typically doesn't add a lot of code to their premium / LE features.

#4305 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Ok, sounds good. I'm just hoping the projector isn't the ecto-goggles 2.0 with the limited animations.

Man.. the Ecto goggles were the biggest "premium feature" let down ever. What a waste.

#4306 4 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

I’m still a novice to posting in here and knowing the personalities, but man some of the stuff people want to be conspiracies is hilarious.
Here’s a quick vid I recorded FROM the bright con floor just now. If you need me to record more from my phone and say your name or date or flash my Illuminati badge, let me know.

What's cool about that quick video is we see lighting effects above the building being projected. I hope a lot of unique animations like that are added.

#4307 4 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Is there anything besides on the drop target and billboard yet?

#4308 4 years ago

not sure the ramps have a hope really... the drops and displays are at least perpendicular to the play-field... which is already sloped "down hill" relative to overhead lights.. so self shade a little bit. The ramps though are angled such that they will be picking up significant overhead light no matter what. Definitively have to cater the space to the pin for optimum effect. Some modder should start selling retractable awnings for the game

Screenshot_2020-01-08_11-31-04 (resized).pngScreenshot_2020-01-08_11-31-04 (resized).png
#4309 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Stern’s deciding on a projector mapping technology in a pinball machine was a poor one and destined to fail from the start, yet they stayed with this approach.

It hasn't even been released!

WTAF

#4310 4 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

“ flash my Illuminati badge, let me know.

tenor.giftenor.gif
#4311 4 years ago

Coming soon from Scott: “Pinshadeiums”

Magnetic ramp canopies that enhance the projector effect on the ramps. $299.

#4312 4 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

An actual stream of it is coming soon with more content for the projector. One of the reasons I’m not streaming it at CES

What do you think about the projector image Jack? Does it look good in person?

Thanks

#4313 4 years ago

that's what is indeed interesting...all those people that have seen it in person..and not a single comment for or against...

#4314 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Coming soon from Scott: “Pinshadeiums”
Magnetic ramp canopies that enhance the projector effect on the ramps. $299.

Underrated comment...

#4315 4 years ago

Look, he photoshopped the craters right out of the playfield!! /s

#4316 4 years ago

Here's some video I took of the projector when they had the game on the CNET stage. Seems like some people are expecting the image to be OLED 4k HDTV quality. LOL It's a projector. Temper expectations accordingly. I personally am glad Stern is doing something out of the box. The game shoots great too. Patiently waiting to see where the code takes it...

#4317 4 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Here's some video I took of the projector when they had the game on the CNET stage. Seems like some people are expecting the image to be OLED 4k HDTV quality. LOL It's a projector.

glass if off, as well.

#4318 4 years ago

I know it’s not programmed to project to the ramps yet, but i don’t see how those ramps are going to look anything other than washed-out white under most conditions. The ramp strips are going to be reflecting (absorbing?) any ambient/overhead light due to the horizontal angle. The vertical white elements (screen, drops, etc.) will probably fare better.

#4319 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I get what you’re saying but i think they have just created this image of themselves by continuously pumping out bad quality products game after game now and people just assume the worst out of them now. They make fun games but they just don't get it when it comes to giving the customers what they want and they act like they could care less quite frankly and I believe that its going to catch up with them. Ignoring your customers wants and demands is a very bad idea, especially in such a niche business.

When I went in and talked to my distributor about my playfields I got a speech about how well Stern is doing and they cant keep up with demand and pooling is normal... I walked away feeling great that Stern doesnt need me as a customer anymore.

#4320 4 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

Here's some video I took of the projector when they had the game on the CNET stage. Seems like some people are expecting the image to be OLED 4k HDTV quality. LOL It's a projector. Temper expectations accordingly. I personally am glad Stern is doing something out of the box. The game shoots great too. Patiently waiting to see where the code takes it...

being sincere when I say this. the fact you can see anything on that screen at that distance with that amount of ambient light is a good thing to me. projection becomes exponentially better once the lights start to dim. you said it best "its a projector", but equally important, its a projector for a reason.

#4321 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

When I went in and talked to my distributor about my playfields I got a speech about how well Stern is doing and they cant keep up with demand and pooling is normal... I walked away feeling great that Stern doesnt need me as a customer anymore.

Sounds like you are imperviable to Jedi mind tricks. Nice!

#4322 4 years ago

The most powerful projectors on the planet are all the idiots here projecting their opinions of a product they haven’t even seen!

Dimpling... I’m out
Pooling... I’m out
Cabinet split... I’m out
Ghosting... I’m out
Cratering... I’m out
Projector brightness... I’m out.

Oh Pinside Bash Brigade, you were always out, you’re just looking for the latest reason!

I’m not sure if I’m in or out. I might wait until I play it myself. I could be in on a Premium down the road... Stranger Things have happened.

As you were.

#4323 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I’m not sure if I’m in or out. I might wait until I play it myself.

GTFO with that levelheaded reasoning. Canadians, can’t take ‘em anywhere.

#4324 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

GTFO with that levelheaded reasoning. Canadians, can’t take ‘em anywhere.

When it comes down to it... why would you?! Too much of a liability!

#4325 4 years ago
Quoted from japespin:

What’s encouraging is the shadow of Zach on the back wall. That must be some strong stage lighting. And the angle looks to be almost directly facing the STh screen. It is impressive you can see anything on that projector screen.

#4326 4 years ago

Somewhere, Lonnie is on a beach sipping a Mai Tai reading Pinside relieved the current debate and discussion is about the projector, and not the code lol

#4327 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Somewhere, Lonnie is on a beach sipping a Mai Tai reading Pinside relieved the current debate and discussion is about the projector, and not the code lol

Lol, you may be right there.

#4328 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Don’t worry Kpg, the discussion will soon turn to Lonnie and code

It’s called “Stern derangement syndrome”

#4329 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

When I talked to a Stern employee about STLE’s LE features (asteroid flashers) not being coded 8 months after release, he basically said “Who cares?! 99% of our buyers don’t even notice those things...we’ve got your money already!!!!”

Not sure why they add an extra features to LEs then if they think their customers don’t even care if the features work or not.

Anyway - that was the last new Stern I bought.

#4330 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When I talked to a Stern employee about STLE’s LE features (asteroid flashers) not being coded 8 months after release, he basically said “Who cares?! 99% of our buyers don’t even notice those things...we’ve got your money already!!!!”
Not sure why they add an extra features to LEs then if they think their customers don’t even care if the features work or not.

OK, this is what he basically said, now will you tell us what he actually said? haha.

#4331 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

OK, this is what he basically said, now will you tell us what he actually said? haha.

I mean...I could go dig up the text from 5 years ago...lol

#4332 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Remember when the left lock was to kick the ball around the Warp ramp..

#4333 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

if i'm not a Lonnie big fan (for always making "similar" codes), his last pins are still casual, but in fact they're good & fun to play (and complete !!!), that's all we need

anyway, for m next pin, i'm still looking for a JP...

#4334 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

if i'm not a Lonnie big fan (for always making "similar" codes), his last pins are still casual, but in fact they're good & fun to play (and complete !!!), that's all we need
anyway, for m next pin, i'm still looking for a JP...

A JP? Smart man you are.

I'm really not worried about Lonnie, this is Lonnie, Mike V. and Eddy together on rules.

#4335 4 years ago

Well, I guess we all get to see next week. Cant wait to see this thing!, also, need to play the pro again this weekend. loved it.

#4336 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

A JP? Smart man you are.
I'm really not worried about Lonnie, this is Lonnie, Mike V. and Eddy together on rules.

Agreed. It's like a 3 headed demogorgan on code.

#4337 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Kind of like that certain person who “derangement syndrome” is generally associated with, criticism does not equal derangement.

#4338 4 years ago

I just saw a video on Facebook of someone playing the Premium - but not for long as Gary came over and stopped them from filming. Think this must be a first. Not sure if this will work, but here’s the link:

https://www.facebook.com/DarrenAtCES/videos/2255106654629700/UzpfSTUxMjcxOTQ0MjIxNDg5NDoxNTg5OTcxMjQxMTU2Mzcw/

#4339 4 years ago

Looks good!! Note the person playing (not on their computer at home) said the projector is cool.

#4340 4 years ago

looks good? That was the worst one yet.

#4341 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Quick observation: ...but when they finally try something new everyone pulls out the microscopes and analyze the game before anyone can even play it....

We don't have a choice. We can already see ramp dimples and PF craters with our naked eyes.

#4342 4 years ago

its gonna look good in a dark room. not so good in a well lit area. i kinda expected this.

#4343 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I just saw a video on Facebook of someone playing the Premium - but not for long as Gary came over and stopped them from filming. Think this must be a first. Not sure if this will work, but here’s the link:
https://www.facebook.com/DarrenAtCES/videos/2255106654629700/UzpfSTUxMjcxOTQ0MjIxNDg5NDoxNTg5OTcxMjQxMTU2Mzcw/

Eeks the projector on that premium screen looks like crap under room lighting. STh premium is out in public at CES and subject to critique and observations. It sux. However, I enjoy playing the pro immensely and feel the rules are good as is. Adding more callouts and sounds and a few more rules will be icing on the cake.

I am having much success with the Demogorgon and can make the shot off the left flipper usually on the first attempt. Sometimes it takes a few more shots. I’ve started making them occasionally off the right flipper, too. The shot is a learned skill that you can improve with practice. I can complete the Demogorgon once a game and lately have been scoring two shots into the Demogorgon during the second mode 2 ball mb. A little more polish and the pro code will be done soon. Sounds like much more effort is required to code the projector.

#4344 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I liked when Gary said "We want to show the game off professionally first" and the other guy replied "I thought you'd have done that already?"

LOL.. you'd think right? The marketing people kind of dropped the ball here. But it's all good. I have confidence the Dead Flip stream should answer a lot of questions and hopefully show that the projector is just fine.

#4345 4 years ago

I bet if the projector was looking awesome with a super bright picture Gary would not have a problem with people taking video. Seems like he is embarrassed knowing you can barely see it. Stern might have to break down and actually buy projectors that are brighter.

#4346 4 years ago

I hope this game is good as I preordered an LE just becouse I love the theme. I am not a stern guy at all

#4347 4 years ago

I expect it might be just fine in a dim room, but what did they expect? It's 2020. Everyone has a cell phone and wants to be a 'somebody' on the internet. If by 'professionally done' he means in a pitch black room, it's too late, they did that already and it won't impress anyone to do it again.

#4348 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I liked when Gary said "We want to show the game off professionally first" and the other guy replied "I thought you'd have done that already?"

Haha, I still think that the projector can be great, but that was good.

It’s crazy to go to a trade show and expect people not to film or take photos.

#4349 4 years ago

Amen !!!!
I was thinking the same thing. I check to see about any updates. And whamo get opinions that one knows Anything about but boy they gotta let ya know. Geez people! Sorry I rarely chime in negatively but ........

Quoted from MapleSyrup:The most powerful projectors on the planet are all the idiots here projecting their opinions of a product they haven’t even seen!
Dimpling... I’m out
Pooling... I’m out
Cabinet split... I’m out
Ghosting... I’m out
Cratering... I’m out
Projector brightness... I’m out.
Oh Pinside Bash Brigade, you were always out, you’re just looking for the latest reason!
I’m not sure if I’m in or out. I might wait until I play it myself. I could be in on a Premium down the road... Stranger Things have happened.
As you were.

#4350 4 years ago
4BC487B0-1E33-4FDD-B811-A1AC31EBF7ED (resized).jpeg4BC487B0-1E33-4FDD-B811-A1AC31EBF7ED (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/87?hl=greenhornet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.