IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 144.
#4051 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You may regret backing out of that LE.

I think the regret would be spending 9k on something of poor quality. I bought a Metallica pro modded out instead.

#4052 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

One week of play...[quoted image]

How can you keep your preorders when these playfields wear in dog years?

0903C8A5-37BF-4578-A3FD-F43F8CBCE98F.gif0903C8A5-37BF-4578-A3FD-F43F8CBCE98F.gif
#4053 4 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The amount of inserts made having any art on this difficult. I like the layout, we just need a good ruleset to round it out.

Cause and effect: the deep rule sets people want necessitate a plethora of inserts correlating to progress through all the modes.

#4054 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Instead of STH, maybe the proper abbreviation for this game should be ORB2.

#4055 4 years ago

Quick someone with a big collection through history go take the glass off all of them and drop a pinball from the ceiling onto the playfields and measure the dimples so we can put this to rest once and for all. For science!

#4056 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

This doesn’t look like the delusions of an insane newb.........does it?
Vid?.........Steve?..............someone?

#4057 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I am a physician... I'd wager my intellect is far beyond the realm of "dumb." Probably not as mighty as your mental prowess, of course. Something as trivial as discussing characteristics of modern playfields should not bother someone with a stable mood and congruent affect.
Hyperbole aside, nobody is freaking out. If your attention spanned the entire post you would see I wrote that this is probably normal for the speed of the game along with the number of airballs. To all that were enjoying Stonehedge in Akron tonight, the craters were very noticeable.
I saw other people here on Pinside posting pictures of the golfballesque playfield and thought it would be good for posterity's sake to add to the collection.
Pinside would be a much better place without divisiveness and personal attacks.

best response ever to an inflammatory post. Good for you

#4058 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

How can you keep your preorders when these playfields wear in dog years?[quoted image]

Those of you who are worried about dimples, what do you think is going to happen long term? Do you think playfields will start chipping? Flaking? Digging into the art?

I understand that you don’t like the idea of a playfield getting dimples, but are there many examples of catastrophic failure from them? Or does the playfield just dimple to an orange peel finish and that’s kind of it?

#4059 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I think it's going to show up great in game rooms.

Agreed, but that means it's an automatic NO on location where it's pretty much always bright. That means only the pro is going to get public exposure which seem like a bummer (esp with this pro).

#4060 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

Agreed, but that means it's an automatic NO on location where it's pretty much always bright. That means only the pro is going to get public exposure which seem like a bummer (esp with this pro).

I'm not sure about the locations you go to, but nearly every location I've been to is dim at the most. None of them are 'bright'. The short video that was shown in the bright lights it was clearly visible. I do not think it's going to be an issue.

#4061 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

Those of you who are worried about dimples, what do you think is going to happen long term? Do you think playfields will start chipping? Flaking? Digging into the art?
I understand that you don’t like the idea of a playfield getting dimples, but are there many examples of catastrophic failure from them? Or does the playfield just dimple to an orange peel finish and that’s kind of it?

The playfields will dimple to an orange peel finish.

#4062 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I'm not sure about the locations you go to, but nearly every location I've been to is dim at the most. None of them are 'bright'. The short video that was shown in the bright lights it was clearly visible. I do not think it's going to be an issue.

Barcades all over the Bay Area. Even by the virtue of having 10+ machines side by side -- it's bright. Hope it works well on location !

#4063 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Do the craters affect the ball trajectory?

#4064 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Do the craters affect the ball trajectory?

I doubt it.

#4065 4 years ago

I was skipping thru threads about the dimple problem . I’m sure someone mentioned this or if it is at all possible... do playfields have to be wood ?
Is there an alternative , that can be ceramic coated like a car where even stones at 50 mph do no damage ?

#4066 4 years ago
Quoted from HC2016:

I was skipping thru threads about the dimple problem . I’m sure someone mentioned this or if it is at all possible... do playfields have to be wood ?
Is there an alternative , that can be ceramic coated like a car where even stones at 50 mph do no damage ?

Mirco has a ceramic option, but that's more $$$.

#4067 4 years ago

What about using a different material... does it have to be plywood ?

#4068 4 years ago

Anyone ashamed of their dimpled STH in Colorado can sell it to me, will put it with the rest of my dimpled Sterns .

#4069 4 years ago

Always best to wait for premium; those have least quality issues (at least for me).

#4070 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

I can. What is the size of the current translight?

I think it is around 16" x 26" but you may want a Pro owner to take their translight off and measure just to verify?

Here are my thoughts on alternative translight. I like the picture with kids on BMX bikes looking up at Mind Flayer. What I would like to see is someone with an illustration app to take it a step further and make it look like art instead of a standard photo. If they can turn that standard picture and make it into an artist rendition I think it will match the game well. Then I would take that even another step forward and add a color changing RGB strip behind the translight in upper portion where Mind Flayer is located. I really think it would pop and look great.

Another alternative translight that actually matches the game really well and would tie right in with the Pro colors,etc. Would have to remove Stranger Things 3 and add just Stranger Things.

-Also would like to see 'Stranger Things' logo at very bottom of translight-below the art.
SRT Translight.jpgSRT Translight.jpgSRT poster.jpgSRT poster.jpg

#4071 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Quick someone with a big collection through history go take the glass off all of them and drop a pinball from the ceiling onto the playfields and measure the dimples so we can put this to rest once and for all. For science!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4072 4 years ago

Hoping to see some video today from CES showing projector during upside down mode. Trying to visualize what it will look like?

#4073 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

best response ever to an inflammatory post. Good for you

Yeah, he really upped his thesaurus game once he was called dumb. Well done Dr.

#4074 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Hoping to see some video today from CES showing projector during upside down mode. Trying to visualize what it will look like?

Pretty sure that you're not going to get any real quality video of the Prem/LE from CES, and that is by design. It didn't sound like there were any plans to stream any Prem/LE either.

#4075 4 years ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Pretty sure that you're not going to get any real quality video of the Prem/LE from CES, and that is by design. It didn't sound like there were any plans to stream any Prem/LE either.

Why do you think Stern flew Jack out to CES?

#4076 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Why do you think Stern flew Jack out to CES?

he had a stream going last night so i got excited thinking i may see the projector. however, it was just him chatting and he specifically said there are no plans on streaming the premium/le this week.

i got sad

#4077 4 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

he had a stream going last night so i got excited thinking i may see the projector. however, it was just him chatting and he specifically said there are no plans on streaming the premium/le this week.
i got sad

Well that sucks. No one really wants to see the Pro streamed anyway, we can all go play it now.

#4078 4 years ago

Very awkward. I'm pretty sure Jack flew out with all his streaming equipment, so they must have made the decision not to do it because of the inability to capture the footage well..

#4079 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Very awkward. I'm pretty sure Jack flew out with all his streaming equipment, so they must have made the decision not to due it because of the inability to capture the footage well..

oh my gosh, Stern flew Jack out to Vegas so we could watch him eat?

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 9.55.30 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-07 at 9.55.30 AM (resized).png
#4080 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Very awkward. I'm pretty sure Jack flew out with all his streaming equipment, so they must have made the decision not to due it because of the inability to capture the footage well..

I am pretty sure it is largely due to lack of code content for the projector screens currently

#4081 4 years ago

I am sure someone at CES will shoot some video. Curious to see where they are at with the content.

#4082 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think it is around 16" x 26" but you may want a Pro owner to take their translight off and measure just to verify?
Here are my thoughts on alternative translight. I like the picture with kids on BMX bikes looking up at Mind Flayer. What I would like to see is someone with an illustration app to take it a step further and make it look like art instead of a standard photo. If they can turn that standard picture and make it into an artist rendition I think it will match the game well. Then I would take that even another step forward and add a color changing RGB strip behind the translight in upper portion where Mind Flayer is located. I really think it would pop and look great.
Another alternative translight that actually matches the game really well and would tie right in with the Pro colors,etc. Would have to remove Stranger Things 3 and add just Stranger Things.
-Also would like to see 'Stranger Things' logo at very bottom of translight-below the art.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Like this?

50460B1B-EB2E-457E-8457-D27D703B0822 (resized).jpeg50460B1B-EB2E-457E-8457-D27D703B0822 (resized).jpeg
#4083 4 years ago

Today is technically the first day of CES

#4084 4 years ago

If the translite is 16x26, you would need 16 high, 26 wide like a rectangle (not 16 wide, 26 high).

Quoted from PiperPinball:

Like this?[quoted image]

#4085 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

You all know what the reason *I think* for no stream of the prem/le right?
Jack Danger uses his own version of pinstadiums. What do you think pinstadium type lighting and overhead lighting is going to do to that projector beam?
So my prediction is that the game is going to be super hard to photograph and they are having trouble getting it to look good for stream. When ever Jack gets his next Stern delivery from grandpa Gary, we will see what he can do.
He will definitely have to shoot it from a ChromeCandyPinball (twitch streamer with a nice setup) player view angle to get the screens flat on.
The projector has a hot spot that will move around dependent on where you view it from and where its shooting from. They all have a hot spot, especially when at short distance.
Im patiently waiting to see this thing. I want it to be cool.

Quoted from valgalder:

Very awkward. I'm pretty sure Jack flew out with all his streaming equipment, so they must have made the decision not to do it because of the inability to capture the footage well..

#4086 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

That's kind of it. Plenty of dimples on our location pins. Zero instances of chipped clear coat or lost artwork due to dimples.

Seems to me dimples are mainly an issue for those home collectors who wish for their pins to remain looking "unplayed", which makes me wonder what they bought it for. To stare at it or to play it?

#4087 4 years ago

I can understand not streaming from the show but not having media prepared before a major show?! They may as well just do a press release saying we have no confidence in our product and just couldn’t get our shit together.

#4088 4 years ago
D16A0C69-E773-4F14-927C-5F57389D50EE (resized).jpegD16A0C69-E773-4F14-927C-5F57389D50EE (resized).jpeg
#4089 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

[quoted image]

Is that a joke?

#4090 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

It's been done. Not with a ball, but with a rebound tester:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-bashing-justified/page/10#post-3963817

#4091 4 years ago

Jack Danger just started streaming Stranger Things from CES, but it's the Pro version again. Bummer, since Stern apparently has a Premium/LE set up there from pics I saw. What the heck? Does Stern really not want us to see that projector?

#4092 4 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Jack Danger just started streaming Stranger Things from CES, but it's the Pro version again. Bummer, since Stern apparently has a Premium/LE set up there from pics I saw. What the heck? Does Stern really not want us to see that projector?

unfortunately it looks pretty washed out in the lighting conditions the game is sitting in. definitely not a well planned out 'reveal.'

#4093 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

That's kind of it. Plenty of dimples on our location pins. Zero instances of chipped clear coat or lost artwork due to dimples.
Seems to me dimples are mainly an issue for those home collectors who wish for their pins to remain looking "unplayed", which makes me wonder what they bought it for. To stare at it or to play it?

I think a majority of buyers are fine with dimpling, it's the severity of the dimpling that's been in question as its more noticeable. Stern games are now $6k-$9k+ so there's no excuse, other than greed, to not offer a playfield that holds up equal to or better than those made 20+ years ago.

We've seen minimal dimpling playfields from CPR and know that they spend less than $50 more per playfield then Stern does to make a higher quality playfield. Why can't Stern offer the same quality after multiple yearly price increases, cost savings on cabinet items (lock down bar straps, bolts for head), and often using plastic ball returns vs metal habit rails on premium / LE models, etc?

#4094 4 years ago

I was playing stranger things at the captains in Anaheim.

That bash toy would make h r giger proud.

#4095 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

nfortunately it looks pretty washed out in the lighting conditions the game is sitting in. definitely not a well planned out 'reveal.'

Man, that's a bummer. I was really hoping to see it today. Welp... the wait continues.

#4096 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think a majority of buyers are fine with dimpling, it's the severity of the dimpling that's been in question as its more noticeable. Stern games are now $6k-$9k+ so there's no excuse, other than greed, to not offer a playfield that holds up equal to or better than those made 20+ years ago. We've seen minimal dimpling playfields from CPR and know that they spend less than $50 more per playfield then Stern does to make a higher quality playfield. Why can't Stern offer the same quality after multiple yearly price increases, and cost savings on cabinet items such as lock down bar straps, bolts for head, using plastic ball returns vs metal habit rails from various premium / LE models, etc?

For stranger things, there is a massive air ball problem caused by the wide ramp into the demogorgan. Balls are hitting the glass and plowing into the playfield all over the place.

Hence you get about 6 months of dimpling in a matter of 2 weeks. Except this includes much larger than normal craters. Doesn't seem acceptable. I'm fine with dimples. But this is serious.

Seems like a serious design flaw considering the softness of the playfield.

#4097 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think a majority of buyers are fine with dimpling, it's the severity of the dimpling that's been in question as its more noticeable. Stern games are now $6k-$9k+ so there's no excuse, other than greed, to not offer a playfield that holds up equal to or better than those made 20+ years ago.
We've seen minimal dimpling playfields from CPR and know that they spend less than $50 more per playfield then Stern does to make a higher quality playfield. Why can't Stern offer the same quality after multiple yearly price increases, cost savings on cabinet items (lock down bar straps, bolts for head), and often using plastic ball returns vs metal habit rails on premium / LE models, etc?

Good summation here. I've never given a thought to dimpling, but it does seem like there is some unique things happening with STH.

#4098 4 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

For stranger things, there is a massive air ball problem caused by the wide ramp into the demogorgan. Balls are hitting the glass and plowing into the playfield all over the place.

No

The ball just gets a lot of air from stand-up targets being shot head on (fan layout) and the drop targets going head on. The ramp shots always end up in the monster area or behind it.

#4099 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No
The ball just gets a lot of air from stand-up targets being shot head on (fan layout) and the drop targets going head on. The ramp shots always end up in the monster area or behind it.

Maybe the same fix can be done for those that fixed the Ghostbuster's Scoleri brothers drop targets, using these springs...

https://www.pinballlife.com/ghostbusters-scoleri-brothers-drop-target-spring-fix-kit.html

#4100 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No

The standups can likely be 90% fixed with the swinks target bracket that angles the target down a few degrees. Almost completely solved the massive problem on Ghostbusters with the 2x/3x standups.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
8,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Trade
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 39.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/82?hl=capn12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.