IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 144.
#4001 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It’s hardly lit like the sun... the lighting in the convention center isn’t overbearing by any measure. It’s well lit and cool on the color spectrum, but I’ve never found it to be overly so. That said, Stern really needs a covered area to make the projected image pop. Any sort of external light is going to wash the image... even insert and GI lights are going to ding it.

Technically you are right, since everyone would die within 3 seconds if you weren‘t.

The hall still is way brighter and less shadowy then the best lit normal location the game will ever sit in.

#4002 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not trying to say it, it's what I said, literally.

You remind me of my 3rd grade teacher who made my face red when asking her if I can use the bathroom and she responded...”well can you?”

#4003 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You remind me of my 3rd grade teacher who made my face red when asking her if I can use the bathroom and she responded...”well can you”

Your third grade teacher was a hero!

#4004 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

It’s hardly lit like the sun... the lighting in the convention center isn’t overbearing by any measure. It’s well lit and cool on the color spectrum, but I’ve never found it to be overly so. That said, Stern really needs a covered area to make the projected image pop. Any sort of external light is going to wash the image... even insert and GI lights are going to ding it.

Important to remember that the super heavy CRT monitor part of Pinball 2000 also acted as a shade for the playfield.

When I think of pinball locations around here none are really what I'd consider "dark". Stuff like Sunshine or Ground Kontrol is a bit on the darker side though.

#4005 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Aghhhhh! Looks washed out and does not look that good imo.
-Congrats by the way on the pick up!
Now can someone please make an alternative translight for the Pro owners asap!
[quoted image]

I can. What is the size of the current translight?

#4006 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We are talking about WHITE STICKERS. Literally the easiest and cheapest single piece of any pinball machine ever made to reproduce. Probably the easiest and cheapest single thing to reproduce in the history of anything in the known universe that anybody has ever needed to reproduce.
WHY WOULD ANYBODY EVEN RAISE THIS AS AN ISSUE?!?!?!?!
I'd wager to bet 95 percent of the people here could "reproduce" these with a white sticker sheet and an exacto knife or pair of scissors while also folding their laundry.

1 single shipping label should get you about 3 sets of stickers.

#4007 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

I can. What is the size of the current translight?

PINSIDETRANLISGHTPRO (resized).jpgPINSIDETRANLISGHTPRO (resized).jpg
#4008 4 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You remind me of my 3rd grade teacher who made my face red when asking her if I can use the bathroom and she responded...”well can you?”

I asked "may I go and wash my hands please" and the teacher said we have sink in the classrom for that...

...next of I began to get ready to take a dump in the sink when the teacher learned he'd better not mess with me.

100% true story.

#4009 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I asked "may I go and wash my hands please" and the teacher said we have sink in the classrom for that...
...next of I began to get ready to take a dump in the sink when the teacher learned he'd better not mess with me.
100% true story.

Wrong thread dude posts about inappropriate public defecation go in the "SF Stops arcade" thread.

#4010 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wrong thread dude posts about inappropriate public defecation go in the "SF Stops arcade" thread.

Did they finally rename the Deeproot thread?

#4011 4 years ago

Showed up at wired.com.

Hint: The projector doesn't work well with spot lights.
Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 4.28.14 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-06 at 4.28.14 PM (resized).png

#4013 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Showed up at wired.com.
[quoted image]

That's what Sterns official Limited Edition Oakley Stranger Things sunglasses are for. Numbered 1-1000 (comes with plaque). Only $500.

#4014 4 years ago

Put in ~30 games on a pro and my overwhelming feeling while playing was 'meh just another generic Stern with a different theme.' Same way I felt with Black Knight, Munsters, Elvira, Aerosmith, etc. Its sad to see so little innovation from legendary designers. Weather its Stern hamstringing them or just their inability to break from their tried-and-true formulas. Disappointing to say the least.

Thank the pinball gods they have Keith because JP seems to feel completely different than anything of recent memory and is a breath of fresh air compared to these recycled layouts.

The ramps on that CES footage/photos look like a disaster. Add me to the pile of people that are flummoxed by the fact they didn't setup a pipe and drape cave with a roof to control some of the ambient lighting in the exhibition hall. Stern's decisions can be confusing sometimes but I'll fully admit that they know how to sell a pinball machine. So kudos to them on that and keeping the hobby moving along.

It will be interesting to see and play the Premium/LE in some optimal lighting conditions.

#4015 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Showed up at wired.com.
[quoted image]

Thats old news, people are worried about the cratering now

Crater doctor (resized).jpgCrater doctor (resized).jpg
#4016 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

Thats old news, people are worried about the cratering now[quoted image]

That looks way more interesting than what we got.

#4017 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

That looks way more interesting than what we got.

I know of a game you may be interested in.

44F23C61-572D-407C-A819-6FD54E5F1D5E.jpeg44F23C61-572D-407C-A819-6FD54E5F1D5E.jpeg
#4018 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

The projector is such a cool idea and I think it will look awesome with tons of amazing mode variables.
My only concern is ball marks and lines on those perfect white backings, I just can't see how they expect it to hold up ?

I wonder if the ball will cast a shadow.

#4019 4 years ago
Quoted from Globalcop:

I wonder if the ball will cast a shadow.

It will need power balls so it can project onto the ball itself

#4020 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

It will need power balls so it can project onto the ball itself

I like it..... but will it work if the ball is in a crater?

#4021 4 years ago

that bulb for the projector might cost a hundred. the white stickers will get dirty. the playfield is too dark. the playfield dimples.
the ball wont go easily into the vagina monster.

BBBBF29B-FC5B-4BC1-8AC9-091795429569 (resized).jpegBBBBF29B-FC5B-4BC1-8AC9-091795429569 (resized).jpeg
#4022 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Showed up at wired.com.
[quoted image]

It is mind-boggling nobody thought to provide some cover on this this thing. If drunks at a tailgate party can figure it out I’m pretty sure they could have.

Maybe someone can pick up a Raiders tarp on the way over there.

#4023 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It is mind-boggling nobody thought to provide some cover on this this thing. If drunks at a tailgate party can figure it out I’m pretty sure they could have.
Maybe someone can pick up a Raiders tarp on the way over there.

The only thing that makes sense is that they’re not “zoned” or whatever for a structure in that booth area.

#4025 4 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

I like it..... but will it work if the ball is in a crater?

It will if you put a tent over the crater to make it dark enough

#4026 4 years ago
Quoted from aingide:

The only thing that makes sense is that they’re not “zoned” or whatever for a structure in that booth area.

Doubtful. The only pain with convention centers is not being able to lift a finger to set stuff up. It's been a while since I've done CES, but at the LACC you have to have the union guys do EVERYTHING, and they get really pissed if they catch you doing stuff yourself that "takes" that job from a union guy. It's a huge pain.

#4027 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Doubtful. The only pain with convention centers is not being able to lift a finger to set stuff up. It's been a while since I've done CES, but at the LACC you have to have the union guys do EVERYTHING, and they get really pissed if they catch you doing stuff yourself that "takes" that job from a union guy. It's a huge pain.

Yeah F*ck those union guys, nothing but a bunch of lazy asses.

#4028 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah F*co those union guys, nothing but a bunch of lazy asses.

I didn't say that. They work hard and we were happy to pay them. But when you have to wait 4 hours to put a door on a booth or countless other simple tasks that can be done in 5 minutes or less yourself or with the staff you brought for the show, there's a problem with the system. They had plenty of work and received plenty of handsome remuneration for that work. Being hardasses about the small stuff they didn't have time to do in a timely manner ANYWAY did not win them any fans. That was the problem.

#4029 4 years ago

'Magine if Stranger Things was created with the Jurassic Park Layout, with a Demogorgon in place of the T-Rex

#4030 4 years ago

LIVE NOW: Stranger Things Pinball w/ Designer Brian Eddy AND Banner GIVEAWAY!

Come on over

twitch.tv/flipnoutpinball.com

5F9A6FD2-4857-49A1-8A9D-172045C4601C (resized).jpeg5F9A6FD2-4857-49A1-8A9D-172045C4601C (resized).jpeg
#4031 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

LIVE NOW: Stranger Things Pinball w/ Designer Brian Eddy AND Banner GIVEAWAY!
Come on over
twitch.tv/flipnoutpinball.com[quoted image]

"Sorry. Unless you’ve got a time machine, that content is unavailable."

How about this link:
https://www.twitch.tv/flipnoutpinball

#4032 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I didn't say that. They work hard and we were happy to pay them. But when you have to wait 4 hours to put a door on a booth or countless other simple tasks that can be done in 5 minutes or less yourself or with the staff you brought for the show, there's a problem with the system. They had plenty of work and received plenty of handsome remuneration for that work. Being hardasses about the small stuff they didn't have time to do in a timely manner ANYWAY did not win them any fans. That was the problem.

I hear you. I work in the live event business and while unions are a blessing in general they can also be their own worst enemy. It usually depends on the city and who is leading the union staff for the day. I know in Las Vegas they can be a little salty to work with in general just due to the massive amount of events they deal with on a weekly basis.

#4033 4 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

I hear you. I work in the live event business and while unions are a blessing in general they can also be their own worst enemy. It usually depends on the city and who is leading the union staff for the day. I know in Las Vegas they can be a little salty to work with in general just due to the massive amount of events they deal with on a weekly basis.

Anyone with firsthand experience with this knows this is truth. The whole "if it requires a tool (ANY tool) to install you can't do it and have to wait for a union guy to show up" is total nonsense. No one is trying to put them out of a job, just trying to apply a little real-world common sense. It's especially critical at move in and teardown.

It got better for us at LACC once we figured out which union guy was the tattletale and treated him like royalty. But it took us a few shows to figure out how to work the system so the dumb parts were not enforced as much.

#4034 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

that bulb for the projector might cost a hundred. the white stickers will get dirty. the playfield is too dark. the playfield dimples.
the ball wont go easily into the vagina monster.[quoted image]

Dont forget the clear will lift and peel around all the posts, and they wont do anything about it.

#4035 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Anyone with firsthand experience with this knows this is truth. The whole "if it requires a tool (ANY tool) to install you can't do it and have to wait for a union guy to show up" is total nonsense. No one is trying to put them out of a job, just trying to apply a little real-world common sense. It's especially critical at move in and teardown.
It got better for us at LACC once we figured out which union guy was the tattletale and treated him like royalty. But it took us a few shows to figure out how to work the system so the dumb parts were not enforced as much.

Well I AM a union guy.....not hardcore pro union but I am a union guy and it sucks when people rag on those lazy ass union workers. That's a fucking myth that union workers don't work hard in today's world trust me. I work way harder than most everyone that I know. The days of the old style unions are over.

Also I'm not pro union like I said but people who don't realize why unions were formed and people who don't realize how much unions have helped out all workers in America union and non union alike are complete Morons. Unions actually need to regain some of their power because the American blue collar worker is getting shit on big time in today's world.

#4036 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Agree. Worst I've ever seen ever too!
[quoted image]

Yeah, I don’t get the hate, maybe because it coincides with other releases. As far as the art I think it fits the theme pretty good. The amount of inserts would have made having any art on this of a difficult task. I also like the layout, we just need a good ruleset to round it out.

#4037 4 years ago

In my industry, there are several big OEMs that no longer attend the largest annual trade show largely because of the union costs.

Now I’m not anti-union, but it’s strange that union workers are needed for setup, tear down, and year-long storage of trade show booths. But I guess that’s where we are at.

PS: I enjoyed The Irishman

#4038 4 years ago

I only played a handful of games on my local Stranger Things before it broke. But, I see a lot of people talking about air balls. Where are the air balls originating from? Is it the standup targets? Would different brackets (like Swink's Ghostbuster brackets) help with the air balls? Or are people seeing them more from the ramp or some other place?

#4039 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

In my industry, there are several big OEMs that no longer attend the largest annual trade show largely because of the union costs.
Now I’m not anti-union, but it’s strange that union workers are needed for setup, tear down, and year-long storage of trade show booths. But I guess that’s where we are at.
PS: I enjoyed The Irishman

I dont care whether people are union or non union and I agree that it's weird that they only use union workers. Maybe they do that so illegals dont take their place? But anyways as far as the pay goes I dont make killer money by any means lol. I know LOTS of non union workers that make more money than I do.

#4040 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well I AM a union guy.....not hardcore pro union but I am a union guy and it sucks when people rag on those lazy ass union workers.

I feel like you're answering a post that didn't happen here and are just overly sensitive to any union criticism, valid or not.

#4041 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I feel like you're answering a post that didn't happen here and are just overly sensitive to any union criticism, valid or not.

Not at all because I myself have gave them criticism before but you pretty much generalized all union workers with what you said and you are wrong. I cant prove that obviously but that's what you were doing and you know it.

#4042 4 years ago

Ces has a pro prem and le

#4043 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ditto

#4044 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I only played a handful of games on my local Stranger Things before it broke. But, I see a lot of people talking about air balls. Where are the air balls originating from? Is it the standup targets? Would different brackets (like Swink's Ghostbuster brackets) help with the air balls? Or are people seeing them more from the ramp or some other place?

Any modern game with drop targets that close to the flippers at a straight ahead angle is going to have a lot of airballs. There's nothing you can do about it and really no reason to care that it's happening. It's pinball.

#4045 4 years ago

One week of play...C7B81182-03D3-4CB6-BA6C-B59860AF4E70.jpegC7B81182-03D3-4CB6-BA6C-B59860AF4E70.jpeg

#4046 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

One week of play...[quoted image]

I won’t be able to sleep tonight after seeing that, oh wait I will...I canceled my LE.

#4047 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

One week of play...[quoted image]

My ACNC doesn’t look like that...and it’s 7 weeks old almost 500 plays. I own a Met and SW...love them both, but the dimpling is definitely different. Clear, wood, whatever...but there is a difference. Not defending or putting anyone down, but just noticing a difference. All the trolls...troll. But there is a difference. Just FYI.

#4048 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Any modern game with drop targets that close to the flippers at a straight ahead angle is going to have a lot of airballs. There's nothing you can do about it and really no reason to care that it's happening. It's pinball.

I'm talking about the standup targets.

#4049 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I won’t be able to sleep tonight after seeing that, oh wait I will...I canceled my LE.

You may regret backing out of that LE.

#4050 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

100% true story.

D797C861-0797-4E02-AB50-A6D9838D371E (resized).jpegD797C861-0797-4E02-AB50-A6D9838D371E (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

8,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/81?hl=ds_nadine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.