IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 144.
#3951 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Please dude just stop!! This is a Stranger Things pinball thread, not the Stern playfields suck thread.

Come on man! I want to hear how clear prevents dimpling!!

#3952 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Come on man! I want to hear how clear prevents dimpling!!

Lol- The clear coat on our cars paint jobs is to prevent door dings, right ?

#3953 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty sure the lack of stainless protector at the entrance of the ramps means it's behind the plastic, but that just made me realize that those unprotected ramps are going to be DESTROYED from ball impacts at the ramp entrance in short order.

Looks like something is there? Looks metal in one pic and plastic in another? 20200106_031043 (resized).jpg20200106_031043 (resized).jpg20200106_031012 (resized).jpg20200106_031012 (resized).jpg

#3954 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Looks like something is there? Looks metal in one pic and plastic in another? [quoted image][quoted image]

Yeah, hard to tell. But if it's a thin metal protector and the white sticker goes over it, that's still bad (ball wear through the sticker) but a lot better and cheaper to replace than a destroyed ramp.

#3955 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Yes it does. I took a hammer to my car the other day and it didn't even put a mark on it.

#3956 4 years ago

The projector is such a cool idea and I think it will look awesome with tons of amazing mode variables.
My only concern is ball marks and lines on those perfect white backings, I just can't see how they expect it to hold up ?

#3957 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes it does. I took a hammer to my car the other day and it didn't even put a mark on it.

You were drunk and that wasn‘t your car.

#3958 4 years ago

Im way behind on the thread.....will we see some footage of the premium today?

#3959 4 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Propably not official.

CES opens (for the public) tomorrow.

It‘d be better to show the game in a semi controlled environment then to let others do it under the bright CES lighting.
So... maybe we get something tomorrow?

#3960 4 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I hope so but as others have said, its probably going to look a lot better in person than it does on camera. Im not gonna freak out if the camera doesn't display the projector well.

#3961 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

You were drunk and that wasn‘t your car.

dent_free.gifdent_free.gif
#3962 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

the clear doesn't dimple on the inserts because the inserts themselves cant dimple. the clear is supposed to prevent the wood from dimpling, and it's not. we're not saying the clear itself is dimpling, just that proper clear prevents the wood from doing so.

FWIW you are really wrong; not trying to be a jerk about it but this has been discussed a million times; a steel ball will win against clear and against wood. It is just a matter how much crappy wood will compress... some recent playfields look like the moon.

#3963 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

You'd think all these pinheads who demand pics without the glass on market ads would understand that...

Whenever I think I'll never see anything dumber than what I've seen posted here before, some dark horse always comes from the back of the pack to destroy the field.

I'd venture to say no pinball flyer or promo in 50 years has featured a game with the playfield glass installed. That may be the slightest hyperbole, but it would certainly be a statistically irrelevant anomaly. In 15 years selling games semi-professionally, I've taken pictures of hundreds of games, and maybe twice featured playfield shots with the glass installed due to extreme laziness, a temporarily broken lockdown bar lever, or just an old-fashioned hangover. When you are trying to sell a pinball machine, it looks better with the glass off, simple as that.

You'd think with the waves of brilliant and wealthy doctors, lawyers, scientists, and internationally recognized intellectual geniuses who have been signing up for Pinside daily this place would be getting smarter, but it just seems to be the opposite. And it makes baby Jesus cry.

#3964 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Whenever I think I'll never see anything dumber than what I've seen posted here before, some dark horse always comes from the back of the pack to destroy the field.
I'd venture to say no pinball flyer or promo in 50 years has featured a game with the playfield glass installed. In 15 years selling games semi-professionally, I've taken pictures of hundreds of games, and maybe twice featured playfield shots with the glass installed due to extreme laziness, a temporarily broken lockdown bar lever, or just an old-fashioned hangover. When you are trying to sell a pinball machine, it looks better with the glass off, simple as that.
You'd think with the waves of brilliant doctors, lawyers, scientists, and internationally recognized intellectual geniuses who have been signing up for Pinside daily this place would be getting smarter, but it just seems to be the opposite. And it makes baby Jesus cry.
It may be time for a new subforum limited to people who have been around for 5 years or more. It's getting harder and harder to discuss even the basics of pinball in this newbie cesspool.

Amen

#3965 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

The projector is such a cool idea and I think it will look awesome with tons of amazing mode variables.
My only concern is ball marks and lines on those perfect white backings, I just can't see how they expect it to hold up ?

You don't see how a bunch of white stickers will hold up? I have games that are 40 years old that have old stickers on drop targets. They are a little dirty. They have faint dirt lines, pretty much at a uniform spot where the ball hits them. They are still fine. If I want new ones, I can spend about 50 cents a sticker and replace them.

I have a hunch this is a non-issue, and Stern will probably include spares of any exposed stickers like they always do, which can safely live in your HUO goodie bag for the next 20 years, providing you with the womb-like, comforting piece of mind that comes with knowing that decades from now when your stickers are in such bad shape that a dirty line is visibly distracting in your projected image, you can refresh them.

#3966 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I have 110 games in on my Pro. It’s the way to go IMO

Interesting. How many games do you have on the Premium?

#3967 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You don't see how a bunch of white stickers will hold up? I have games that are 40 years old that have old stickers on drop targets. They are a little dirty. They have faint dirt lines, pretty much at a uniform spot where the ball hits them. They are still fine. If I want new ones, I can spend about 50 cents a sticker and replace them.
I have a hunch this is a non-issue, and Stern will probably include spares of any exposed stickers like they always do, which can safely live in your HUO goodie bag for the next 20 years, providing you with the womb-like, comforting piece of mind that comes with knowing that decades from now when your stickers are in such bad shape that a dirty line is visibly distracting in your projected image, you can refresh them.

Agree non issue. If they get a little dirty after a butt load of plays wipe clean with Pinguard in 5 seconds. This thread is nearly unbearable.

#3968 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

concern is ball marks and lines on those perfect white backings, I just can't see how they expect it to hold up ?

I would probably order a sheet of mylar and cut to size for the ramps to cover over white decals from day one. I do believe a dirty steel ball will begin to tarnish the white reflective tape quickly. We will soon see how quickly they get marked up?

#3969 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I would probably order a sheet of mylar and cut to size for the ramps to cover over white decals from day one. I do believe a dirty steel ball will begin to tarnish the white reflective tape quickly. We will soon see how quickly they get marked up?

Mylar is probably not going to work well though because it will affect the projected images.

#3970 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Mylar is probably not going to work well though because it will affect the projected images.

I have no idea if it would work or not. Seems like it still would work since mylar is clear? It may be a non-issue if Stern sells cheap replacement stickers for owners? I think it will start to look like ass really quick on the ramps with ball trails on a white sticker. It may not bother some people, but some people may not care for the look.

#3971 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I have no idea if it would work or not. Seems like it still would work since mylar is clear? It may be a non-issue if Stern sells cheap replacement stickers for owners? I think it will start to look like ass really quick on the ramps with ball trails on a white sticker. It may not bother some people, but some people may not care for the look.

Mylar is clear; but here is a thought... it probably reflects light differently than a sticker that is designed as a projector screen? Maybe some will not care for that look either...

#3972 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Agree non issue. If they get a little dirty after a butt load of plays wipe clean with Pinguard in 5 seconds. This thread is nearly unbearable.

We are talking about WHITE STICKERS. Literally the easiest and cheapest single piece of any pinball machine ever made to reproduce. Probably the easiest and cheapest single thing to reproduce in the history of anything in the known universe that anybody has ever needed to reproduce.

WHY WOULD ANYBODY EVEN RAISE THIS AS AN ISSUE?!?!?!?!

I'd wager to bet 95 percent of the people here could "reproduce" these with a white sticker sheet and an exacto knife or pair of scissors while also folding their laundry.

#3973 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

it probably reflects light differently than a sticker that is designed as a projector screen?

I have a feeling that a thin clear piece of plastic will not affect the projector image substantially on the ramps. I believe the ramps just have a simple projected image-arrows pointing upwards. I do not believe the ramps will be used for video or images that would not present well through mylar. Maybe they will not get marked up that bad and you can clean them easily with some magic eraser or something? I just have a feeling that they are going to take a beating and start looking like shit quickly?

#3974 4 years ago

Clear plastic mylar material is shiny. Literally every projector screen in the world is matte finish for a reason. Glossy surfaces will glare and obscure the image. A regular flat white label sticker would be exactly what you want. Someone with a Silhouette Cameo could cut these to exact dimensions on a sheet in about 3 minutes and sell them.

#3975 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Clear plastic mylar material is shiny. Literally every projector screen in the world is matte finish for a reason. Glossy surfaces will glare and obscure the image. A regular flat white label sticker would be exactly what you want. Someone with a Silhouette Cameo could cut these to exact dimensions on a sheet in about 3 minutes and sell them.

Well, for what Stern is charging these days the white stickers should self-clean at weekly intervals, or perhaps be covered in some sort of formulated space-age polymer which repulses dirt so the ball never leaves a mark. Where's the innovation?!?!?!?!

#3976 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WHY WOULD ANYBODY EVEN RAISE THIS AS AN ISSUE?!?!?!?!

Because people who are actually interested in purchasing a NIB pinball machine are concerned about it. Why do you always feel the need to try and belittle people? Does it make you feel good? Sometimes you have some truly insightful post and sometimes you are just an ass hat. Time to get off that high horse and quit calling people newbies all the time. What happened to this place is people like you come on here and proclaim you know it all(self proclaimed know it all). Why cant people express concern with a white sticker on a ramp-C'mon! Sometimes Pinside can be toxic-or a cancer like Steve Ritchie once said. We all have the passion for pinball and we like to have discussions. If you do not wish to take part in these discussions then-bye bye.

#3977 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

This. Just replace or put on new stickers when the time comes. Zero reason to use mylar, and yes mylar is going to affect the projected image differently.

#3978 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Because people who are actually interested in purchasing a NIB pinball machine are concerned about it.

They are not "concerned about it." They likely aren't considering purchasing the NIB pinball either. Nobody who has any experience buying NIB pinball machines, or any other pinball machine in fact, would seriously raise "white stickers might get dirty" as an issue. People are just doing it to keep up with the joneses when it comes to irrelevant complaints about non-existent "potential issues."

Pinside has simply become a pissing contest to see who can come up with the dumbest possible critique about something that doesn't matter at all, to anybody. It's a contest in which there are no winners. You should be berating them for clogging up your precious thread with nonsense instead of giving me the "why are you so mean?" speech.

#3979 4 years ago

Amazed one can see anything considering CES is lit like the sun...

Then again, so are most Stern games. The example videos of STH Prem have the PF really dark, like "early Spooky" dark, so I wonder if they are deliberately undercranking it to not wash out the projector?

Yes projection mapping is awesome. But when say Magic Kingdom does it its in a controlled dark environment, with minimal light pollution, and they're using INSANE amounts of power.

Need to remember everything on a Stern has to fit within the overhead of that 48v PSU.

#3980 4 years ago

Ok Levi-keep telling the rest of us how it should be

Double facepalm.jpgDouble facepalm.jpg
#3981 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yes projection mapping is awesome. But when say Magic Kingdom does it its in a controlled dark environment, with minimal light pollution, and they're using INSANE amounts of power.

Anybody who saw Roger Waters' Wall show 10 years back can attest to how awesome this shit can be. Lots of potential there in pinball if they can get it right.

#3982 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Pinball and OCD go together like bread and butter.

#3983 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Anybody who saw Roger Waters' Wall show 10 years back can attest to how awesome this shit can be. Lots of potential there in pinball if they can get it right.

I can imagine seeing a laser style beam project different colored lines at the different target locations you are supposed to shoot...that could be cool. They would have to project it from an angle that mostly would not be blocked by the ball until the last bit of travel...probably mounted above the apron somehow. A multiball laser show under glass would be killer!

#3984 4 years ago
EAF918FE-6423-4824-9F45-5CF3B605AFA6 (resized).jpegEAF918FE-6423-4824-9F45-5CF3B605AFA6 (resized).jpeg
#3985 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Then again, so are most Stern games. The example videos of STH Prem have the PF really dark, like "early Spooky" dark, so I wonder if they are deliberately undercranking it to not wash out the projector?
Need to remember everything on a Stern has to fit within the overhead of that 48v PSU.

I think people are underestimating how difficult it is going to be to manage he ambient light affect on the screens. Both from the room and the machine itself.

But then again, I’m a snob when it comes to projected image quality. I never want to see the screen, only the image.

As it should be

#3986 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd venture to say no pinball flyer or promo in 50 years has featured a game with the playfield glass installed. That may be the slightest hyperbole, but it would certainly be a statistically irrelevant anomaly. In 15 years selling games semi-professionally, I've taken pictures of hundreds of games, and maybe twice featured playfield shots with the glass installed due to extreme laziness, a temporarily broken lockdown bar lever, or just an old-fashioned hangover. When you are trying to sell a pinball machine, it looks better with the glass off, simple as that.
You'd think with the waves of brilliant and wealthy doctors, lawyers, scientists, and internationally recognized intellectual geniuses who have been signing up for Pinside daily this place would be getting smarter, but it just seems to be the opposite. And it makes baby Jesus cry.

So what you are trying to say is you agree with me, pictures without the glass are better.

#3987 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So what you are trying to say is you agree with me, pictures without the glass are better.

Not trying to say it, it's what I said, literally.

#3988 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

Wishful thinking but hope they stream a prem/le. Probably going to be a pro though.

#3989 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd wager to bet 95 percent of the people here could "reproduce" these

I think you're being a little generous. Are we talking butt tattoo wager?

#3990 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Wishful thinking but hope they stream a prem/le. Probably going to be a pro though.

Ken has a pro in his garage studio, so I assume it will be that........unless Brian Eddy brings a premium or LE with him. Either way, it will be nice to have Brian live and available for questions and comments.

#3991 4 years ago

I’m surprised they didn’t just use a matte ramp with paint on the backside. I would lose the stickers and just paint them. Lots of information on the internet that specific household paints have the exact same reflection, absorption as high end specialty paints and screens. If it gets dirty or chips just apply another coat.

This launch has been a complete shit show. From the leaks to the terrible pictures from CES. Do they even have a marketing department or do they just leave it to the influencers?

#3992 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Do they even have a marketing department or do they just leave it to the influencers?

Of course they do. Those monthly SOTU fluff pieces can’t type themselves!

#3993 4 years ago

One thing we can all agree on,

Let's just be glad the artwork and backglass looks as good as it is... it could have been worse and Stern could have rehashed some old ACDC artwork to save a few bucks

StrangerThings-Pro-Cabinet-FF-4gnlkafad.jpgStrangerThings-Pro-Cabinet-FF-4gnlkafad.jpg
#3994 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

FWIW you are really wrong; not trying to be a jerk about it but this has been discussed a million times; a steel ball will win against clear and against wood. It is just a matter how much crappy wood will compress... some recent playfields look like the moon.

it's the clear thats causing it, not the wood. all wood dimples.

#3995 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

if we were talking about cars you might have a point, but we're not.

drop a pinball from 2 inches on your car, does it leave a ding? didn't think so....

#3996 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

One thing we can all agree on,
Let's just be glad the artwork and backglass looks as good as it is... it could have been worse and Stern could have rehashed some old ACDC artwork to save a few bucks[quoted image]

Emm, that's why i bought Luci
And actually i think Angus looks better than Sinead O'Connor's baby sister whose just taken a punch on the nose

#3998 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Of course they do. Those monthly SOTU fluff pieces can’t type themselves!

I don’t think a co-op releasing a page or two a month counts

#3999 4 years ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

And actually i think Angus looks better than Sinead O'Connor's baby sister whose just taken a punch on the nose

Never saw the show, but I'm going to assume that's the overused, cliched, "mental brain strain from telekinesis powers"? Cheaper to use fake blood than some cool CGI effect to convey the powers.

#4000 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It’s hardly lit like the sun... the lighting in the convention center isn’t overbearing by any measure. It’s well lit and cool on the color spectrum, but I’ve never found it to be overly so. That said, Stern really needs a covered area to make the projected image pop. Any sort of external light is going to wash the image... even insert and GI lights are going to ding it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Louisville, KY
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 80 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/80?hl=anathematize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.