IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 144.
#3901 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I think everyone needs to appreciate that this lighting is the worst possible scenario and if it’s visible and works in that case, then it should look great in a dim bar or home basement.

Is SOMETHING there? Yeah. Is it what most would call visible and working? No. Especially on the ramps, ramp standup and drop targets.

I'm very surprised Stern didn't put a tent over this to control the lighting A LITTLE. Very. Surprised. If I was Brian Eddy, I'd be pissed and heading over to Home Depot or Lowes to buy a 10x10 black canopy and slip the union guys some dough to set it up ASAP to give this showing at least a CHANCE of a positive impression.
screen-only (resized).jpgscreen-only (resized).jpg

#3902 4 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

My Stranger Things Premium opinion meme...
[quoted image]
Original photo by Jack Danger at CES, no filter.

Srsly if you look at the spots right above the machine it's a miracle that you can still see the images.

Under any normal roomlight that should be fine.

#3903 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is SOMETHING there? Yeah. Is it what most would call visible and working? No. Especially on the ramps, ramp standup and drop targets.
I'm very surprised Stern didn't put a tent over this. Very.

I said the same thing they need tent to block some light and might hurt sales to show it like that in too bright room.

#3904 4 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The main objective is to knock down the drops in front of the Demi-Gorgonzola.

not really... its not rewarding points or completion wise.. if that's what you focused on... the burden is on you

#3905 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm very surprised Stern didn't put a tent over this to control the lighting A LITTLE. Very. Surprised.[quoted image]

Just hit me how dirty those standups and drops will get.

#3906 4 years ago

At the very least hold a golf umbrella over the game while people play it.

#3908 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm very surprised Stern didn't put a tent over this to control the lighting A LITTLE. Very. Surprised. If I was Brian Eddy, I'd be pissed and heading over to Home Depot or Lowes to buy a 10x10 black canopy and slip the union guys some dough to set it up ASAP to give this showing at least a CHANCE of a positive impression.
[quoted image]

Knowing how bright CES is, it is a very good sign that you can appreciate anything that is projected. I am willing to bet that with "normal" room lighting the premium/LE will be nothing short of amazing. This projector mapping will be a game changer like pin2k should have been.

#3909 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Did you ever stop to consider that maybe Stern's playfield quality (be it the wood and/or clear coat) could've gone down right around the same time as a lot of new people started getting into the hobby? Would explain why you never heard much about it before. Just a thought.

Gotta side with Levi on this. The NIB Tron I opened nearly 10 years ago dimpled as well.

#3910 4 years ago

I think it's going to show up great in game rooms.

#3911 4 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Did you ever stop to consider that maybe Stern's playfield quality (be it the wood and/or clear coat) could've gone down right around the same time as a lot of new people started getting into the hobby? Would explain why you never heard much about it before. Just a thought.

BBBDEF90-3F97-45B9-B611-AD2C7C286E84 (resized).jpegBBBDEF90-3F97-45B9-B611-AD2C7C286E84 (resized).jpeg
#3912 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I agree, I think it will really pop in a dark home environment.

Not too sure about areas with a lot of ambient light?

Stern may need to hand out some HD glasses(As seen on TV )

HD vision.jpgHD vision.jpg
#3913 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

When you watch the video, the projector looks much better. Forget the photos that are way above the machine of off axis. Player position is what matters.

#3914 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

When you watch the video, the projector looks much better

Just watched the video and it actually does not look that bad, considering the lighting in that room.

#3915 4 years ago

Bad move on Stern's part to not reveal the Prem/LE in a light controlled environment prior to displaying it where it looks like total shit.

Should have had Dead Flip stream it before this... I can see a lot of people either cancel their orders if they already placed one, and not order one if they were on the fence. Sure it's a bright room, but it's not as if the projector screen in the Stern official trailer video looked all that great either...

Screenshot_20191230-125421_YouTube (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191230-125421_YouTube (resized).jpg
#3916 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Bad move on Stern's part to not reveal the Prem/LE in a light controlled environment prior to displaying it where it looks like total shit.
Should have had Dead Flip stream it before this... I can see a lot of people either cancel their orders if they already placed one, and not order one if they were on the fence. Sure it's a bright room, but it's not as if the projector screen in the Stern official trailer video looked all that great either...[quoted image]

I’m on the opposite side on this... I would rather see it first hand under garbage lighting and know that it’s still presenting itself well enough and is playable with bright ass lighting...knowing that every damn venue this game goes in is GOING to be darker than this one. Everyone needs to take a chill pill.

#3917 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Stern may need to hand out some HD glasses(As seen on TV )[quoted image]

You just gave me flashbacks to when Gunnar Optiks wanted to sponsor me during my video game days. Maybe it’s time to whip those bad boys out on the Stern Circuit

#3918 4 years ago

Game looks cool. I played a pro for several hours today. Cool game for sure!! Shoots very fast. Code is very early. Music is really nice. Can’t wait to see and play the premium/LE in a dark room. It’s the best way to play pinball in my opinion.

#3919 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

I’m on the opposite side on this... I would rather see it first hand under garbage lighting and know that it’s still presenting itself well enough and is playable with bright ass lighting...knowing that every damn venue this game goes in is GOING to be darker than this one. Everyone needs to take a chill pill.

Agree... unfortunately this hobby is typically rife with people who look for things to whinge and whine about. I prefer to take the glass half full approach when it comes to manufacturers showing some initiative and innovation. It’s common sense that any projected image will degrade or improve depending on the room lighting. It’s not that hard.

#3920 4 years ago
Quoted from Potatoloco:

Maybe it’s time to whip those bad boys out on the Stern Circuit

I actually saw some blue light blocking glasses at Walmart the other day and they did get me thinking. I do play at night before bed and always have wondered about the correlation with blue light and sleep disruption, etc. Plus you can look cool

I think CES is a great place to show off the Premium, hopefully we will still see some good footage. I am looking forward to seeing the upside down mode with projector.

#3921 4 years ago

Pro seems like the way to go on this one. Save the extra cash

#3922 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Why? Dont u want the projector and the magnetic ball lock? I sure would!

#3923 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

magnetic ball save? I sure would!

I think you need to buy an Alice Cooper game if you want that. Spooky has a few left.

#3924 4 years ago

Played a pro last week. It was entertaining.
Plenty of fly balls off the center ramp. The balls were flying to the upper right ramp off the center ramp. Even had one smack the glass. I played 3 games and the most lasting impression was how many fly balls i had. Seems like a nightmare for a location pin.

All in all basic layout, fun game, and the art looked great.

#3925 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I recommend playing a game at least 10-30 games before making a true judgment call, at least wait to see gameplay video of the Premium in action before making that call. I thought I really wanted the JP Pro-before getting to play the Premium and then I got some good time on the Premium and I really liked the raptor cage, etc. much better. Sometimes Pro is the way to go and sometimes the upgrades on Premium/LE are worth it.

#3926 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Sometimes Pro is the way to go and sometimes the upgrades on Premium/LE are worth it.

I personally am yet to find a premium that beats the game play of the pro. JP2 would be closest but the Dino mech seems prone to issues and not worth it. The elec gate is the best add on but not worth the price point for just that

#3927 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I personally am yet to find a premium that beats the game play of the pro.

Totally preferential but...

Lots-Ghostbusters, Avengers, X-MEN, JP, SW, TF, WD, DP, RS, the list goes on.

#3928 4 years ago

It looked to show up pretty well in that video. I don't think it's going to be an issue.

#3929 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I think you need to buy an Alice Cooper game if you want that. Spooky has a few left.

I have a friend that owns a ACNC and I actually like that game a lot. First Spooky gane that I've ever liked but I still wouldnt buy one.

#3930 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Oh I see what u did there. I meant magnetic ball LOCK lol

#3931 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Totally preferential but...
Lots-Ghostbusters, Avengers, X-MEN, JP, SW, TF, WD, DP, RS, the list goes on.

yeah, to each their own

Was just sharing that for me I find the pro to typically be the better player, less issues (less mechs so makes sense), and am yet to find a premium that makes sense.

I have even bought a few premiums but then upgraded to the Pro for better game play.

#3932 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I find the pro to typically be the better player, less issues

I think SRT is mainly going to be cosmetic much like Star Trek Pro v.s. Star Trek Premium/LE. If people just want good gameplay and no frills-by all means go with the Pro. If you want the extra eye candy and great gameplay-then you go Premium/LE on this one. Certain eye candy holds a value to me.

#3933 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I recommend playing a game at least 10-30 games before making a true judgment call, at least wait to see gameplay video of the Premium in action before making that call. I thought I really wanted the JP Pro-before getting to play the Premium and then I got some good time on the Premium and I really liked the raptor cage, etc. much better. Sometimes Pro is the way to go and sometimes the upgrades on Premium/LE are worth it.

I have 110 games in on my Pro. It’s the way to go IMO

#3934 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I have 110 games in on my Pro. It’s the way to go IMO

Have you seen or played the Premium/LE? Does not seem like a logical comparison? People making up their minds and clinching their pearls-keep an open mind is all I am saying.

#3935 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Gotta side with Levi on this. The NIB Tron I opened nearly 10 years ago dimpled as well.

The Stern PF problems started in 2008. Two years late with that test.

Compare to LotR's playfield. Hardness testing confirms that's about as hard as classic B/W and much harder than the almost all (all?) playfields Stern is pushing out now. But you can tell that by just looking at it. Dunno about the LE, though, as that came much later...

#3936 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Have you seen or played the Premium/LE? Does not seem like a logical comparison? People making up their minds and clinching their pearls-keep an open mind is all I am saying.

Nah. It seems pretty obvious that the 'big' toy is the projector. and a backboard magnet that will slow down play more.
I think this is one where it is pretty easy to play the Pro and know what you are getting with the premium.

Now that we have seen how bad it looks in a lit room, it is an easy choice.

If you play in the dark and like bling then go for it, but I think the Prem/LE buyers are in for a rude awakening on resell of this title.

#3937 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Stern may need to hand out some HD glasses(As seen on TV )[quoted image]

OMG. It would be hilarious if JJP was handing these out to players just outside the Stern booth.

#3938 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I hear ya for sure. Just not looking good going by the pics on FB circulating from CES, but time will tell.

#3939 4 years ago

One thing's for sure. If the premium/LE is in a tournament, Andy Rosa is SCREWED.

rosa (resized).jpgrosa (resized).jpg
#3940 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Agree... unfortunately this hobby is typically rife with people who look for things to whinge and whine about. I prefer to take the glass half full approach when it comes to manufacturers showing some initiative and innovation. It’s common sense that any projected image will degrade or improve depending on the room lighting. It’s not that hard.

I beg your pardon sir. I like to whine about pinball but I absolutely never whinge. Good day.

#3941 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Should have had Dead Flip stream it before this... I can see a lot of people either cancel their orders if they already placed one, and not order one if they were on the fence. Sure it's a bright room, but it's not as if the projector screen in the Stern official trailer video looked all that great either...[quoted image]

Notice No Glass in promo video?

#3942 4 years ago

Stern doesn’t seem to like having the playfield glass on when advertising their pins. I asked about this a few weeks ago on their Facebook page.
A99D7994-CB99-4A1B-B2AD-0A25EA30693A (resized).jpegA99D7994-CB99-4A1B-B2AD-0A25EA30693A (resized).jpeg

0D7F99AD-0D99-476B-842B-E36495F808ED (resized).png0D7F99AD-0D99-476B-842B-E36495F808ED (resized).png
#3943 4 years ago

We'll have Stranger Things PRO and EVERY one of every Stern LE made available to play at INDISC (www.INDSIC.com) at the Museum of Pinball next weekend. Stranger Things is be on "fundraiser" mode for Project Pinball.

Make your own opinion after actually playing the pin.

#3944 4 years ago

It's a projector. Direct overhead lighting is going to wash the picture out. Viewing it from an angle is going to wash it out. Lighting it for a stream/video is going to wash it out. My guess is in a normally lit environment, from the player perspective, it is going to be fine, possibly even great. I am going to reserve judgement until I get to play one in person.

As far as Stern not having the glass in their pins while taking marketing pictures and video, why would you have the glass in there? Ever try to take a photo of something through a window? Is it important to show that the pins will come with glass? Honestly confused as to why this would be an issue.

#3945 4 years ago

You'd think all these pinheads who demand pics without the glass on market ads would understand that... and also know how projectors and cameras work by now.

#3946 4 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

It's a projector.

You missed a key word. It's a CHEAP projector. Not looking great, but hopefully there's a way to swap it out for a decent projector if you have this pin.

The comment about the standups and drops getting dirty from the ball and making the weak projection even worse was on point and something I didn't even consider when it was announced.

#3947 4 years ago

Anyone confirm if the ramps white reflectors are on topside or underside of ramps ?

#3948 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Anyone confirm if the ramps white reflectors are on topside or underside of ramps ?

Pretty sure the lack of stainless protector at the entrance of the ramps means it's behind the plastic, but that just made me realize that those unprotected ramps are going to be DESTROYED from ball impacts at the ramp entrance in short order.

#3949 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

if the dimples was related to clear figure you would see dimples on the inserts which you don't. the wood is softer now than it was 10+ years ago and stern games play fast with airballs. Craters
I try not to let it bother me as the stern games play good, but when the light hits the playfield at the right angle it looks like a damn golf ball. =(

the clear doesn't dimple on the inserts because the inserts themselves cant dimple. the clear is supposed to prevent the wood from dimpling, and it's not. we're not saying the clear itself is dimpling, just that proper clear prevents the wood from doing so.

#3950 4 years ago
Quoted from donkadelic:

the clear doesn't dimple on the inserts because the inserts themselves cant dimple. the clear is supposed to prevent the wood from dimpling, and it's not. we're not saying the clear itself is dimpling, just that proper clear prevents the wood from doing so.

Please dude just stop!! This is a Stranger Things pinball thread, not the Stern playfields suck thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 18.95
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/79?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.