IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 144.
#3851 4 years ago

I begin to see a flapdimpling trend...

#3852 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I've seen Stranger Things.....(see what I did there)

#3853 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Roll pin is the word you're looking for

Thank you. I could see it, I just couldn't connect the word to it!

#3854 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

If I have to read about one more dumb newb freaking out over dimples I'm going to snap.

I am a physician... I'd wager my intellect is far beyond the realm of "dumb." Probably not as mighty as your mental prowess, of course. Something as trivial as discussing characteristics of modern playfields should not bother someone with a stable mood and congruent affect.

Hyperbole aside, nobody is freaking out. If your attention spanned the entire post you would see I wrote that this is probably normal for the speed of the game along with the number of airballs. To all that were enjoying Stonehedge in Akron tonight, the craters were very noticeable.

I saw other people here on Pinside posting pictures of the golfballesque playfield and thought it would be good for posterity's sake to add to the collection.

Pinside would be a much better place without divisiveness and personal attacks.

#3855 4 years ago

I have had my IMDN LE for a while now, and I love that pin. After all this dimple talk, I decided to really look for the dimples on the game as I have never cared to notice before. Yeah, theres a ton.

But when I am playing and even just looking at it, I don't even notice.

Example... pic taken the same time.. first shot is what I normally see when playing, and the other is when you get super close up. I am not saying its not an issue, but seriously, you have to really get down and look for it. Afterwards, I had an awesome game and totally forgot about it.

20200104_155804 (resized).jpg20200104_155804 (resized).jpg
20200104_155738 (resized).jpg20200104_155738 (resized).jpg

#3856 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

... After all this dimple talk, I decided to really look for the dimples on...

my TRANSPORTER THE RESCUE

and its not that great number of games played have make enough dimples to have the PF flat, i simply did NOT see 1 !!!

#3857 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

People complaining about playfield dimples is nothing new.

Ramp flap dimples? I don't remember anyone talking about this in last 10 or so years.

Does it matter?

Well, from the pics, it looks pretty bad.

It would certainly bug me on a new game.

At least no one can come out and say it's normal!

#3858 4 years ago

Ramp flaps are not an easy component to replace
C'mon Stern, This must have been picked up during testing ?/?
Send the junk hardware back to China !

Very, Very disappointing to see stuff like this

936231381289de61fb08a4eb4c900be996e41568 (resized).jpg936231381289de61fb08a4eb4c900be996e41568 (resized).jpg
#3859 4 years ago

I have cancelled my order for a premium... usually, i dont care about dimpling... but with stranger things its just awful !

Stern : we prefer quality to the quantity ! Stop to launch so much pinball so fastly ! And choose better components, wood, mechanic, originality of the layout, toys... even if the price increase (its already like that with poor quality)...

Dont order new stern until problem is during...

#3860 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

Ramp flaps are not an easy component to replace
C'mon Stern, This must have been picked up during testing ?/?
Send the junk hardware back to China !
Very, Very disappointing to see stuff like this [quoted image]

Super hard to replace.

For now this is the flap that broke the camel's back!

Unless they make a Queen pin I am out

#3861 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I am a physician.

blah blah, smart words, smart words, dimples bad, smart words, personal attacks bad!

4739560F-5AD9-4A68-B7F5-FAE5907BDBC5 (resized).jpeg4739560F-5AD9-4A68-B7F5-FAE5907BDBC5 (resized).jpeg
#3862 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Something as trivial as discussing characteristics of modern playfields should not bother someone with a stable mood and congruent affect.
Hyperbole aside, nobody is freaking out. If your attention spanned the entire post

BURN!

#3863 4 years ago

I know they are probably scrambling trying to update projector images but I really am curious how the video mode will turn out?

SRT Video mode.gifSRT Video mode.gif
#3864 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Super hard to replace.
For now this is the flap that broke the camel's back!
Unless they make a Queen pin I am out

I remember when you would ponder between buying a W/B classic or a newer Stern and you would think, "Well, I love W/B, but they're getting old. Be ready for some problems. With a newer Stern, you can go years before encountering your first problem." And that was genuinely the case. If you had a SAM system game from '06-'08 in particular, they were an almost trouble-free, reliable board set, reliable mechanical components, a good playfield. Now, all three of those are a question mark in brand new Sterns.

#3865 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I am a physician... I'd wager my intellect is far beyond the realm of "dumb." Probably not as mighty as your mental prowess, of course. Something as trivial as discussing characteristics of modern playfields should not bother someone with a stable mood and congruent affect.
Hyperbole aside, nobody is freaking out. If your attention spanned the entire post you would see I wrote that this is probably normal for the speed of the game along with the number of airballs. To all that were enjoying Stonehedge in Akron tonight, the craters were very noticeable.
I saw other people here on Pinside posting pictures of the golfballesque playfield and thought it would be good for posterity's sake to add to the collection.

Yeah everybody here is a doctor, brilliant scientist, or lawyer.

It’s amazing with all the Mensa members here the amount of ink that gets spilled on the dimpling crisis. We never heard much about it until all the geniuses showed up - ignorance was bliss!

#3866 4 years ago

Those damn ramps are giving me fits, I can't consistently hit them; maybe just off my game??

I was thinking of this layout; and it dawned on me...It's T2!! The symmetrical ramps; the shooter lane that kicks left to rolling target bank; the left saucer, the two orbits, T2 had the 3 center stand ups, this has the Demo with drops in front.

T2 is my favorite playing pin ever, so now I'm putting together why I love this pin so much; that and the theme is an absolute A+ for me...Sound effects are so dope.

#3867 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Bro, it's just mountain of a mole hill type stuff...There are dimples on this game; do I care when I'm pressing play 30 times a day??? Hell no!! I haven't had this much fun with a pin in a long time; it's a thrill ride.

And bringing occupation into this, is totally unnecessary...Shall we compare income when discussing these matters as well???

If you have a problem with the dimples; don't buy the pin!! Don't support Stern!!! While you are at it, write Gary Stern personally to discuss the matter. Because besides that; they will continue to sell a ton of pins to operators and home buyers.

#3868 4 years ago

Should check out LW3 as well if you like T2.

#3869 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

What do u all think about shooter lane protectors?? Since this will be my first NIB investment , I want to protect it as much as I can in high wear areas. Thoughts?

I am interested in trying out those Pinball Universe plastic protectors that Mezel Mods is offering. When you spend $5500+ on a machine you want to try and protect that shooter lane from Stern's overpowered eject mech. I have been using mylar but I am tired of changing it out, etc. Looking for something more permanent? Can someone who has used these protectors chime in. Do they work well?, Any problems with plunging balls with them? Are they all custom made depending on machine-seems like some are sold out? Is there a universal one that will work? I am very interested in spending $28 to protect my shooter lane on a NIB purchase.

https://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-shooter-lane-protector?variant=18133347565665

#3870 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am interested in trying out those Pinball Universe plastic protectors that Mezel Mods is offering. When you spend $5500+ on a machine you want to try and protect that shooter lane from Stern's overpowered eject mech. I have been using Mylar but I am tired of changing it out, etc. Looking for something more permanent? Can someone who has used these protectors chime in. Do they work well?, Any problems with plunging balls with them? Are they all custom made depending on machine-seems like some are sold out? Is there a universal one that will work? I am very interested in spending $28 to protect my shooter lane on a NIB purchase.
https://mezelmods.com/products/pinball-shooter-lane-protector?variant=18133347565665

I use the cliffy protectors, they work amazing.

#3871 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am interested in trying out those Pinball Universe plastic protectors that Mezel Mods is offering. When you spend $5500+ on a machine you want to try and protect that shooter lane from Stern's overpowered eject mech. I have been using mylar but I am tired of changing it out, etc. Looking for something more permanent? Can someone who has used these protectors chime in. Do they work well?, Any problems with plunging balls with them? Are they all custom made depending on machine-seems like some are sold out? Is there a universal one that will work? I am very interested in spending $28 to protect my shooter lane on a NIB purchase.

Got one on my Maiden.

No issues, and zero wear.

#3872 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Bro, it's just mountain of a mole hill type stuff...There are dimples on this game; do I care when I'm pressing play 30 times a day??? Hell no!! I haven't had this much fun with a pin in a long time; it's a thrill ride.
And bringing occupation into this, is totally unnecessary...Shall we compare income when discussing these matters as well???
If you have a problem with the dimples; don't buy the pin!! Don't support Stern!!! While you are at it, write Gary Stern personally to discuss the matter. Because besides that; they will continue to sell a ton of pins to operators and home buyers.

A pejorative was slung my way, I feel it within my right to bring up occupation as a social proof, even if a fine display of pedantry on my part (but it is done with purpose). Further, using an insult that has belittled those with an inability to produce speech due to disability and conflating the term for lack of intelligence is offensive. I have a large patient population that, without modern surgical and biomedical technological advances, would fall into the "dumb" category. No less offensive than using the outmoded and disparaging term of retard for those with an intellectual disability.

I will reiterate the final point of my initial post: this could be normal for this playfield given the characteristics that make it uniquely fun to play. The game plays fast and it seems to have more opportunities to create airballs than other tables.
After all, there is an 80gm ball bearing being launched into the air slamming down on a piece of 13.5mm plywood.

#3873 4 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

I have cancelled my order for a premium... usually, i dont care about dimpling... but with stranger things its just awful !
Stern : we prefer quality to the quantity ! Stop to launch so much pinball so fastly ! And choose better components, wood, mechanic, originality of the layout, toys... even if the price increase (its already like that with poor quality)...
Dont order new stern until problem is during...

You do what you want to do. That’s fine

Don’t tell the rest of us what to with our $$$

#3874 4 years ago

I may be in the minority but I believe all of the Stern games have turned out to be good games. I only have two Stern games that do not interest me-WWE and Iron Maiden. I tried to get into WWE but the layout with the ring was no fun to me and Stern's only fail-imo. Iron Maiden has been proclaimed as a masterpiece by many-I just cannot find myself to enjoy the theme with the music. I am not interested in using pinball browser to change out the music-plus it seems sacrilegious to do so? So only two Sterns that do not do it for me in 20 years-not too shabby. All of these new releases are beginning to feel like groundhogs day to me. Rinse and repeat-I am out! Look at the dimples! This code sucks! The toy is lame! I am in for a LE! Best game Stern has made! Total polar opposite opinions that are all over the board. The only game where everyone seemed to be on the same page was Metallica-not much hate for that game at launch.

What I am trying to convey is Stern games are like a fine wine-they tend to get better with age. Everyone wants to break out the flaming torches and state their opinion, but give it a year or two and this game should become another great Stern. Time will tell.

#3875 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Or, since he’s so fabulously wealthy, brilliant, and successful, he could start his own dimple-proof pinball company!

Pretty much all of the other fabulously wealthy and successful people here are doing it!

#3876 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

A pejorative was slung my way, I feel it within my right to bring up occupation as a social proof, even if a fine display of pedantry on my part (but it is done with purpose). Further, using an insult that has belittled those with an inability to produce speech due to disability and conflating the term for lack of intelligence is offensive. I have a large patient population that, without modern surgical and biomedical technological advances, would fall into the "dumb" category. No less offensive than using the outmoded and disparaging term of retard for those with an intellectual disability.
I will reiterate the final point of my initial post: this could be normal for this playfield given the characteristics that make it uniquely fun to play. The game plays fast and it seems to have more opportunities to create airballs than other tables.
After all, there is an 80gm ball bearing being launched into the air slamming down on a piece of 13.5mm plywood.

Needs one of these: and i cant read this without hearing “ Comic Book Guy” voice.

#3877 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

Apparently MD's are not immune to being FanBoys. Go back to blowing up the Spooky R&M threads

#3878 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I may be in the minority but I believe all of the Stern games have turned out to be good games. I only have two Stern games that do not interest me-WWE and Iron Maiden. I tried to get into WWE but the layout with the ring was no fun to me and Stern's only fail-imo. Iron Maiden has been proclaimed as a masterpiece by many-I just cannot find myself to enjoy the theme with the music. I am not interested in using pinball browser to change out the music-plus it seems sacrilegious to do so? So only two Sterns that do not do it for me in 20 years-not too shabby. All of these new releases are beginning to feel like groundhogs day to me. Rinse and repeat-I am out! Look at the dimples! This code sucks! The toy is lame! I am in for a LE! Best game Stern has made! Total polar opposite opinions that are all over the board. The only game where everyone seemed to be on the same page was Metallica-not much hate for that game at launch.
What I am trying to convey is Stern games are like a fine wine-they tend to get better with age. Everyone wants to break out the flaming torches and state their opinion, but give it a year or two and this game should become another great Stern. Time will tell.

I recommend not buying a music themed pin that has music you do not like. That's like going to a concert to watch a band you do not enjoy the music they are playing. Why buy the tickets in the first place?

Some people can buy machines that love the game and are not total fans of the music and I get it. My comment is specific to you, what was the decision to buy Iron Maiden when you do not like Iron Maiden? To me its an amazing game and the music amplifies that.

#3879 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

If you have a clear shooter lane just use the self adhesive felt from Hobby Lobby for $1.50

Paint on the lane? Get mezel mod protector. Works great

#3880 4 years ago

So, is this now #dimplegate2 ? #flapgate ? #dimpleflapgate ? #theflappening ?

#3881 4 years ago

The hobbit originally shipped with ramp flaps that self destructed over time like these. JJP switched and sent out kits to replace. They are not that tough to do. Drill out the old ones the pop the new ones in.

#3882 4 years ago

Edit: I have not read anything on this thread, so have no idea what the consensus on this game is.

I played this game last night for a few hours. I will reserve judgement on the premium/Le because not having the projector completely changes the game, I would imagine. Without the projector, you get a static image on a big billboard that takes up a ton of space. Not a big problem if it was located in the back of the playfield, but it is in the middle. The code so far is everything I would expect from Sterns worst programmer. Code is horrible at this point.
The main objective is to knock down the drops in front of the Demi-Gorgonzola. (Pun intended because the main toy is cheesy.) Flipping at full strength will get you SDTM. You must cradle and then flick the flippers with weak shots. Once the drive in theater moves and you get that ramp as big as Eric Greggs ass/strikezone (google it), you must shoot your ass beads into the anus of whatever thing that is.

Here is how it should have gone down. The pro gets the premium treatment of whatever that projector thing is. The premium/LE gets an upgrade to the Gorgonzola. That things gaping anus stays shut until you bash it a number of times. Each time you bash it, it shakes/rattles. Eventually, it’s initially closed mouth opens. Then you you shoot your balls into it’s mouth for the win. In other words, Stern cheapened out again on the mechs to save 100 bucks. Do yourself a favor and get Jurassic Park, which is great, or else wait for the next one.

#3883 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

#theflappening ?

#3884 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My comment is specific to you, what was the decision to buy Iron Maiden when you do not like Iron Maiden?

I am not understanding your question? Not sure if you mis-understood my post? I did not purchase Iron Maiden(..one of the two Sterns I do not like) because of the theme and music(like nails on a chalkboard). I am sure it plays great-I am very interested in Stern doing a mirrored re-theme with Iron Maiden layout. Beetlejuice or Mission Impossible would be an instant buy for me using the Iron Maiden layout.

#3885 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

A pejorative was slung my way,

I hate when people swing their pejorative at me! Totally not cool! Lol

#3886 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am not understanding your question? Not sure if you mis-understood my post? I did not purchase Iron Maiden(..one of the two Sterns I do not like) because of the theme and music(like nails on a chalkboard). I am sure it plays great-I am very interested in Stern doing a mirrored re-theme with Iron Maiden layout. Beetlejuice or Mission Impossible would be an instant buy for me using the Iron Maiden layout.

Sorry, I misread that! You said "I only have two Stern games that do not interest me" - as in I thought you had/owned it. Apologies for that!

But yeah, the Iron Maiden layout is solid for sure. Keith not only knows how to lay a game out correctly, but code the shit out of some great rules that just comes together so well.

Hiring Keith Elwin was the best thing Stern has done for pinball in many years.

It's hard not to think what he could have done with the Stranger Things license.

#3887 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I recommend not buying a music themed pin that has music you do not like. That's like going to a concert to watch a band you do not enjoy the music they are playing. Why buy the tickets in the first place?
Some people can buy machines that love the game and are not total fans of the music and I get it. My comment is specific to you, what was the decision to buy Iron Maiden when you do not like Iron Maiden? To me its an amazing game and the music amplifies that.

indeed...

i was really NOT a metallica fan, but i bought & enjoy the pin very much (and btw it help me to discover positively their music)

#3888 4 years ago

You all know what the reason *I think* for no stream of the prem/le right?

Jack Danger uses his own version of pinstadiums. What do you think pinstadium type lighting and overhead lighting is going to do to that projector beam?

So my prediction is that the game is going to be super hard to photograph and they are having trouble getting it to look good for stream. When ever Jack gets his next Stern delivery from grandpa Gary, we will see what he can do.

He will definitely have to shoot it from a ChromeCandyPinball (twitch streamer with a nice setup) player view angle to get the screens flat on.

The projector has a hot spot that will move around dependent on where you view it from and where its shooting from. They all have a hot spot, especially when at short distance.

Im patiently waiting to see this thing. I want it to be cool.

#3889 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

indeed...
i was really NOT a metallica fan, but i bought & enjoy the pin very much (and btw it help me to discover positively their music)

Great example because MET is such a great game, the music doesn't matter - my wife is not a fan of Metallica but MET is her favorite pin of all time.

I really hope Stranger Things ends up being a game that is primarily loved for the layout + code and not just the theme itself. Because if it's the latter that will be a disappointment.

#3890 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Great example because MET is such a great game, the music doesn't matter - my wife is not a fan of Metallica but MET is her favorite pin of all time.
I really hope Stranger Things ends up being a game that is primarily loved for the layout + code and not just the theme itself. Because if it's the latter that will be a disappointment.

I wont go as far as saying I hate Metallica the band but I really dont like their music at all except a couple of songs that are just ok to me, but MET the pinball machine is amazing and I'd never even consider selling mine.

#3891 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah everybody here is a doctor, brilliant scientist, or lawyer.
It’s amazing with all the Mensa members here the amount of ink that gets spilled on the dimpling crisis. We never heard much about it until all the geniuses showed up - ignorance was bliss!

Did you ever stop to consider that maybe Stern's playfield quality (be it the wood and/or clear coat) could've gone down right around the same time as a lot of new people started getting into the hobby? Would explain why you never heard much about it before. Just a thought.

#3893 4 years ago

CES is well-lit, but that cheap pico projector (or projectors) they're using is just failing hard in that lighting. Stern needs to throw a black tent over that area to help or people are not going to be having good impressions...
screen-closeup (resized).jpgscreen-closeup (resized).jpg

#3894 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

CES is well-lit, but that cheap projector (or projectors) they're using is just failing hard in that lighting.[quoted image]

Yeah that game needs dark room to shine and that's what we all figured. They could of put it under a tent for better showing.

#3895 4 years ago

My Stranger Things Premium opinion meme...
20200105_194957 (resized).jpg20200105_194957 (resized).jpg
Original photo by Jack Danger at CES, no filter.

#3896 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

CES is well-lit, but that cheap pico projector (or projectors) they're using is just failing hard in that lighting. Stern needs to throw a black tent over that area to help or people are not going to be having good impressions...
[quoted image]

Hey, let's look at the bright side. Oh, wait...

#3897 4 years ago

I think everyone needs to appreciate that this lighting is the worst possible scenario and if it’s visible and works in that case, then it should look great in a dim bar or home basement.

#3898 4 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

I think everyone needs to appreciate that this lighting is the worst possible scenario and if it’s visible and works in that case, then it should look great in a dim bar or home basement.

Yeah but they could did stuff to help at the show like a tent but yeah it be game that must be in dim/dark room for best results

#3899 4 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

Yeah but they could did stuff to help at the show like a tent but yeah it be game that must be in dim/dark room for best results

They should’ve brought a pop up and put it underneath it.

#3900 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

They should’ve brought a pop up and put it underneath it.

Yep - should have had the pro outside the tent for the walk by crowd and the Pre-Le inside a pitch black tent or even better a cave.....

cave (resized).pngcave (resized).png
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 10.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.95
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 78 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/78?hl=yfichelle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.