IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 144.
#3751 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Because many people, myself included, think playfield protectors are stupid. The game doesn't play the same.

I guess what I meant is can they not engineer and create some type of layer that goes over the playfield to prevent dimpling?

Honestly I could give two shits really. My games have dimples on them, nothing crazy, I just don't care. I figure heavy steel ball + bouncing on soft wood and paint = indentations lol

#3752 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Largest up post in the history of pinball!! Haha. Will lock tite even work on plastic?

It's just pressure fit. This is a Bad DesignTM. The length of the post acts as a lever, and using a pressure fit one instead of one with a side screw or push-through post means with the ball always tapping it, it will keep working itself out from the lever action.

#3753 4 years ago

After playing Stranger Things I'm not worried about PF issues since I'll never own the game. I don't see the features on the premium/LE changing my mind. Maybe by the time they put together a machine I would consider owning the PF issues with be fixed. Such a letdown on a killer theme however I am used to it since they botched many of my dream themes like Transformers.

#3754 4 years ago

So I just ordered a Pro model. Will be getting it in about a week and a half. I didn’t order the model with the shaker motor in it. But as an after thought, now I want it. So I see we can buy shaker motors to install in our machines, but I’m not sure wether this machine is SAM or SPIKE. does anyone know which setup this machine is using so I can order the right shaker motor ??

#3755 4 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Pics are not mine, and were taken from Facebook, but it looks like other issues are popping up. Anyone else have this issue?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that a broken post or is a demodog excited to see you?

#3756 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So I just ordered a Pro model. Will be getting it in about a week and a half. I didn’t order the model with the shaker motor in it. But as an after thought, now I want it. So I see we can buy shaker motors to install in our machines, but I’m not sure wether this machine is SAM or SPIKE. does anyone know which setup this machine is using so I can order the right shaker motor ??

New games are SPIKE.

#3757 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Stern is on SPIKE, I think SPIKE 2, not sure about that part. Maybe they'd do SAM on vault editions I don't know that answer, but certainly not SAM on newly designed machines..

#3758 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

You want Spike. Order from Pinballlife.com. Easy install.

#3759 4 years ago

deleted

#3760 4 years ago

I have a SPIKE shaker from PinballLife I'd be willing to sell to you, still in the box never touched. PM me if interested.

#3761 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Luci vault was Spike as well. (which was originally SAM on original release).

Not true. ACDC is SAM on all versions.

#3762 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wait what? Seriously? I was told otherwise. It was one of the primary reasons I bought an OG edition.

#3763 4 years ago

deleted

#3764 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Wait what? Seriously? I was told otherwise. It was one of the primary reasons I bought an OG edition.

Yep. Unless my premium vault is the only one they did SAM haha.

#3765 4 years ago

There is much anticipation about seeing the Premium or LE on a stream of some sort.

******WARNING*******

Temper your expectations!! There is NO WAY the projection is going to look good on a stream. It will simply not read well due to the limits of web cams, cell phones, etc etc.

I think it’ll be something you need to see in person to judge.

I think there will be a loud chorus of “I’m out. Projection is washed out”, “Was hoping for more pop visually”, and so on.

The reality is, our human eyes will be way better at handling the crazy contrast required to view this properly. I think this will underwhelm on stream, and overwhelm in person.

#3766 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yep. Unless my premium vault is the only one they did SAM haha.

Interesting. I stand corrected then.

#3767 4 years ago

Well we already know what it looks like on camera. Just need to see it in person now.

#3768 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's just pressure fit. This is a Bad DesignTM. The length of the post acts as a lever, and using a pressure fit one instead of one with a side screw or push-through post means it will act like a lever and keep working itself out.

There's no set screw? Surprised no one is discussing this, I'm shocked Stern sent a game out the door with a 6" post and nothing securing it in place.

#3769 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Bill Laimbeer Combat Basketball carts

I just gotta say, this was one of my favorite games as a kid! I still have the cart, and I put the ROM on the SNES mini. It's a terrible game, and a ridiculous premise, but man...I played the crap out of this turd, and many other turds (Looking at you Xardion and Ultraman!) on the SNES.

Awesome to see someone reference this weird ass game.

#3770 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

There is much anticipation about seeing the Premium or LE on a stream of some sort.

******WARNING*******

Temper your expectations!! There is NO WAY the projection is going to look good on a stream. It will simply not read well due to the limits of web cams, cell phones, etc etc.

I think there will be a loud chorus of “I’m out. Projection is washed out”, “Was hoping for more pop visually”, and so on.

The reality is, our human eyes will be way better at handling the crazy contrast required to view this properly. I think this will underwhelm on stream, and overwhelm in person.

Well then we need to buy DeadFlip an HDR camera, capable of low light, high contrast.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1501344-REG/panasonic_dc_s1hbody_lumix_dc_s1h_mirrorless_digital.html

#3771 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

******WARNING*******

Agreed. Well said.

#3772 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I've seen prototypes of ACDC with Spike (The one at Logan Arcade..), but I'm not aware of them being produced.

#3773 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I just gotta say, this was one of my favorite games as a kid! I still have the cart, and I put the ROM on the SNES mini. It's a terrible game, and a ridiculous premise, but man...I played the crap out of this turd, and many other turds (Looking at you Xardion and Ultraman!) on the SNES.
Awesome to see someone reference this weird ass game.

Heh! On the off chance you ever cross paths with Naoyuki Tsuji from Hudson, never ever EVER even mention the game to him. He was responsible for the license and the glut of expensive carts Hudson had to eat and he's STILL sore about it.

#3774 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

There's no set screw? Surprised no one is discussing this, I'm shocked Stern sent a game out the door with a 6" post and nothing securing it in place.

I didn't even know they MADE a version without a pressure spring thing through them until Houdini arrived as a pressure fit up-post only.

#3775 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I didn't even know they MADE a version without a pressure spring thing through them until Houdini arrived as a pressure fit up-post only.

Hahaha I just can't believe there's nothing to secure it at all, I'm not sure what the attachment point looks like but seems like the kind of thing a single tapped hole + set screw could've completely resolved. This will just get worse and worse over time, every time it gets worked loose it'll fit a bit less tight. Glad you pointed it out, this is going to be an immediate + recurring issue for operators I would think (until they figure out their own solution).

#3776 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

Hahaha I just can't believe there's nothing to secure it at all, I'm not sure what the attachment point looks like but seems like the kind of thing a single tapped hole + set screw could've completely resolved. This will just get worse and worse over time, every time it gets worked loose it'll fit a bit less tight. Glad you pointed it out, this is going to be an immediate + recurring issue for operators I would think (until they figure out their own solution).

The one on my machine looked like it was pressure fit, then they kind of crimp the metal part, there was a small indentation on both sides where it would squeeze the plastic post. That is where I placed my punch and hammered. It just seems whoever made that part didn’t quite squeeze the metal enough.
It’s been fine since.

#3777 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

The one on my machine looked like it was pressure fit, then they kind of crimp the metal part, there was a small indentation on both sides where it would squeeze the plastic post. That is where I placed my punch and hammered. It just seems whoever made that part didn’t quite squeeze the metal enough.
It’s been fine since.

Yeah, that's how these pressure fit ones are. The length of the post on this one making a lever essentially will pretty much guarantee that no dimple will be enough to hold it over time, though.

#3778 4 years ago

Just happened on Star Wars too.
A slightly shorter, but similar post.

405722F0-BA82-4ACA-849E-E28DF076CFDF (resized).jpeg405722F0-BA82-4ACA-849E-E28DF076CFDF (resized).jpeg
#3779 4 years ago

So you just need to punch that hole a bit so it “bites” the plastic more?

#3780 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Heh! On the off chance you ever cross paths with Naoyuki Tsuji from Hudson, never ever EVER even mention the game to him. He was responsible for the license and the glut of expensive carts Hudson had to eat and he's STILL sore about it.

There's a definite 0% chance of that EVER happening, LMAO.

#3781 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So you just need to punch that hole a bit so it “bites” the plastic more?

Why not put some decent epoxy in there and glue that mother in tight?

That should fix it.

rd

#3782 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Why not put some decent epoxy in there and glue that mother in tight?
That should fix it.
rd

Yeah good point.

#3783 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

So you just need to punch that hole a bit so it “bites” the plastic more

That’s what I did, seems good to go.
The Star Wars post actually had to have the plastic hammered back into the metal, you couldn’t just push it in like I could with the ST post.

#3784 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

It’s been fine since.

Thanks for the explanation + pic, hadn't seen one of these before. Looks easy enough to fix.

#3785 4 years ago

Not sure if I should buy after market or OEM shaker for my stranger things pin. I heard aftermarket might void the warranty ?? Any of u hear something like this ?

#3786 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Not sure if I should buy after market or OEM shaker for my stranger things pin. I heard aftermarket might void the warranty ?? Any of u hear something like this ?

Front page of new Stern Manuals - "Installation of non-authorized accessories, lamps, LED’s, motors or other devices or modification of electro-mechanical devices may damage the system and will void your warranty. "

#3787 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Installing ANY mod technically voids your warranty.

The Pinball Life shaker is rock solid and feels smoother than the Sterns for $20 less. Stern is not going to ask you if you have a 3rd party shaker motor when your playfield starts chipping and you need warranty support. The only reason there was a service bulletin warning about 3rd party shakers is when spike first came out it caused problems with the node board. But it was fixed in a matter of days, that was years ago, and there hasn't been a problem with the PBL shaker since that I've heard. We use them on all the route games and they're trouble free.

https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html

#3788 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Installing ANY mod technically voids your warranty.
The Pinball Life shaker is rock solid and feels smoother than the Sterns for $20 less. Stern is not going to ask you if you have a 3rd party shaker motor when your playfield starts chipping and you need warranty support. The only reason there was a service bulletin warning about 3rd party shakers is when spike first came out it caused problems with the node board. But it was fixed in a matter of days, that was years ago, and there hasn't been a problem with the PBL shaker since that I've heard. We use them on all the route games and they're trouble free.
https://www.pinballlife.com/shaker-motor-kit-rev-c-for-stern-spike-spike-2-system-games.html

Awesome! Thanks for all the info! I love this site. I feel like I can ask any questions And not get hammered for asking something. You guys and girls are the best. This will only be my 2nd machine and my first NIB purchase. Super excited !!!

#3789 4 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

The "overwhelm in person" part is all i care about

#3790 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Awesome! Thanks for all the info! I love this site. I feel like I can ask any questions And not get hammered...

You're not truly a pinsider until you've been hammered unexpectedly.

#3791 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Awesome! Thanks for all the info! I love this site. I feel like I can ask any questions And not get hammered for asking something. You guys and girls are the best. This will only be my 2nd machine and my first NIB purchase. Super excited !!!

Give it time, give it time. About the time you question the status quo, it comes swiftly.

#3792 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Expectations for build quality, code depth, and what is being offered feature wise have all gone up dramatically after NIB games have in many cases doubled over the past 10 years, and nearly tripled over the past 15 years. People wouldn't be complaining as much if these games were still $3k - $5k new but not at $6k - $9k+.
Stern, JJP, etc can charge these insane prices but they better back it up with top quality. Theres no excuse other then greed at this point for poor playfield quality considering these asking prices. Today's playfields should really be of better quality then those made 20 years ago.

On the money my friend Panzer. Insane prices is correct! Happy New Year!

#3793 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Please keep me honest when TMNT comes out. That’s probably the last nostalgic theme someone could make to make me go nuts...and the rumors I’m hearing so far sound fantastic. I cannot lose track of reality and buy it at launch.

I so agree with you! TMNT is going to rock from the rumors I’m hearing too. If it looks good:

1. Zombiyeti doing art
2. John Borg designing
3. Lead software engineer? Does anyone know who that is rumored to be?
4. All the original cast doing call outs.
5. Toys and ramps going in and out.
6. User controlled ball/lane diverter - This is awesome if true - ala The Shadow
7. Is there a better pinball song than 80s TMNT?

I’m in on this one, cause it seems they’ve fixed issues on the PF and such. Welcome to 2020!

#3794 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

And Star Trek

#3795 4 years ago

I do like me some zombiyeti art, but I am not sold on a TMNT pin at this point, unless it's the 80's cartoon or old comics and even then, I've been over it for decades.

#3796 4 years ago

Review:
I played it 20 times and never got the ball in the demagorgan. Its the hardest or most impossible shot in pinball.
The left kick out is pointless,it just spits the ball out to a plate near the building and serves no purpose?
The right side is the most disappinting. The ball doesn't flow down the loop and hits the the slings everytime. Very annoying and a really bad design.
However this could be the one of the best games in my book if it wasnt rushed, took their time and tested like other manufactures do before its produced.
Love the music and layout,code still needs work and more ball saves added. I have always wanted the sound from Tron or TNA , the play from a Star Trek and AFM. This game could have had it all but the design looks like it was rushed. I dislike the designers showing it off on stream like its easy because they played it a zillion times and are oblivious to the issues compared to regular people spending $10 and can't get the ball in the hole!

#3797 4 years ago

So I’m looking to buy some accessories for my machine before it gets here and I’m wanting to get some cupholders for it. Any suggestions where I can purchase some ? Also was thinking of getting those speaker light kits for my machine as well. Anyone have any experience with them?

#3798 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

So I’m looking to buy some accessories for my machine before it gets here and I’m wanting to get some cupholders for it. Any suggestions where I can purchase some ? Also was thinking of getting those speaker light kits for my machine as well. Anyone have any experience with them?

my only experience is having seen them at pincinnati, but i think speaker lights would look bad ass on this game. gotta be red!

#3799 4 years ago
Quoted from Trindawg:

Speaker light kits are amazing and dougs a great guy.

Speakerlightkits.com

Pingulps are what the cup holders are.

Pinballlife.com has those.

#3800 4 years ago

I also recommend speakerlightkits.com!! Doug is a great guy to deal with. Always helpful and professional. I have his lights in most of my games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 39.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 76 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/76?hl=jimwe5t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.