IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 144.
#3701 4 years ago

Stern produces in volume, and hopes the volume covers the losses from the abysmal quality control. Lots of large businesses do that and get away with it. Stern allegedly had their best year every last year, and the 10 people on Pinside who claim they are done buying new Stern machines have had no real effect on the bottom line. Stern is 2 months behind on promised playfield swaps for JP owners due to demand of JP and Stranger Things. Everyone is still going to line up and go apeshit when TMNT comes out, and they are still going to sell 600 LE's sight unseen. This is the world we live in currently.

#3702 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cratering like this will never even out. Even after tens of thousands of plays.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That playfield makes you long for the days of plain old Stern dimpling. Hard to believe that it’s gotten even worse now. We need to up the stakes and stop calling them dimples as that is too mild a term. These look more like gashes with a more oblong shape.

#3703 4 years ago

To be fair, my MBr with 500 or so plays has dimpling. It is definitely visible during normal play (although it doesn't look as bad as some of the things posted). My 2012 AC/DC with around 4000 plays also has dimpling but not nearly as bad as any of the things people are talking about.

#3704 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Exactly my point. My AFM Bally did not look like that. My 1994 Addams Gold looks nothing like that. Something has changed.

Not trying to start a clearcoat thread but the thing that changed are the environmental laws. Companies cant use those good old fashioned harsh chemicals they used to.

#3705 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

One day a fellow friend(pinsider) and I were having this discussion about the playfield quality of today. He suggested switching to a high density plastic playfield. Would a high density polyethylene (HDPE) be a viable alternative? Definitely got me thinking.

I am a big fan of seeing someone try to do a playfield out of 3/8" or 1/2" thick phenolic sheet. You would have to back it up with a metal frame of some sort to keep the warp out of it, but I have seen phenolic sheet hold up to some very rigorous environments.

#3706 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Everyone is still going to line up and go apeshit when TMNT comes out, and they are still going to sell 600 LE's sight unseen.

Please keep me honest when TMNT comes out. That’s probably the last nostalgic theme someone could make to make me go nuts...and the rumors I’m hearing so far sound fantastic. I cannot lose track of reality and buy it at launch.

#3707 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

but I have seen phenolic sheet hold up to some very rigorous environments.

Phenolic is a very strong substrate and I believe it could possibly be a solution to this problem?

#3708 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

Not trying to start a clearcoat thread but the thing that changed are the environmental laws. Companies cant use those good old fashioned harsh chemicals they used to.

Why don’t JJP or Spooky playfields crater? They’ve had chipping & pooling issues, which would be more a problem regarding chemical compositions. I think wood softness is the more likely culprit for the deep pits.

#3709 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Please keep me honest when TMNT comes out. That’s probably the last nostalgic theme someone could make to make me go nuts...and the rumors I’m hearing so far sound fantastic. I cannot lose track of reality and buy it at launch.

I'm a pro guy but I'm curious to see how the art packages will effect peoples choices between models. Do I want Turtles on my game or the Shredder version? Bebop and Rocksteady edition? Krang? Who knows?
(Actually a purple trimmed foot edition would be pretty awesome)

#3710 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If it is what is being reported from the inside, I am pretty excited also. I am just hoping they have the shots dialed in a bit better than GB. And the subway better not be a prem/LE only thing.

#3711 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why don’t JJP or Spooky playfields crater?

My TNA has plenty of dimples, chipped post, and it also is planking

#3712 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why don’t JJP or Spooky playfields crater? They’ve had chipping & pooling issues, which would be more a problem regarding chemical compositions. I think wood softness is the more likely culprit for the deep pits.

I am not an apologist, but a realist. Without a doubt not all playfields wear, dimple, or 'show' the same. At the same time I have seen it from all manufacturers over a long period of time.

IMG_20191219_144147 (resized).jpgIMG_20191219_144147 (resized).jpgScreenshot 2020-01-03 at 9.20.12 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-01-03 at 9.20.12 AM (resized).png
#3713 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My thought process is that the harsh chemicals of the 90s protected the wood better no matter the density. Like an armour. I'm just some guy though

#3714 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I am not an apologist, but a realist. Without a doubt not all playfields wear, dimple, or 'show' the same. At the same time I have seen it from all manufacturers over a long period of time.[quoted image][quoted image]

You’ll see dimples on any game at the right angle and light. Craters are deep and visible always. There’s something different about them compared to the norm.

That being said, I just ran bright light over my STTNG & looked at every angle. Not one dimple at all...and that’s a game with 2 cannons and a flying lockout.

#3715 4 years ago

It is strange how different these playfields are.

My Maiden pro did not and still does not have a single dimple.

Very thick clear coat and a tiny bit of pooling on a couple of posts.

But strange to have no dimples at all.

#3716 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Expectations for build quality, code depth, and what is being offered feature wise have all gone up dramatically after NIB games have in many cases doubled over the past 10 years, and nearly tripled over the past 15 years. People wouldn't be complaining as much if these games were still $3k - $5k new but not at $6k - $9k+.
Stern, JJP, etc can charge these insane prices but they better back it up with top quality. Theres no excuse other then greed at this point for poor playfield quality considering these asking prices. Today's playfields should really be of better quality then those made 20 years ago.

That's the part that gets me. At what point is there responsibility on the buyer? If expectations are higher than reality, why are people still buying nib? You say Stern is just being greedy but people are more than willing to hand over asking prices even with the history of questionable qc.

#3717 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You’ll see dimples on any game at the right angle and light. Craters are deep and visible always. There’s something different about them compared to the norm.

Exactly. JJP and CGC remakes show easily like Stern, most B/W DMD do not with few exceptions.

#3718 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

It’s a crapshoot!!!

Unfortunately with Stern, it always has been, even in the pre-crater days. Odds are you’d get a playfield with planking, colors were wrong, or the color alignment would be off. I’ve seen soooooo many variations of LOTR playfields. One had a full green Gollum on it!!! Some are rich looking. Some are washed out. Mine has nice colors, but the red alignments seems slightly off, so Frodo looks high lol.

E3A79D44-8B66-4385-9F35-BDC05848C6FF.jpegE3A79D44-8B66-4385-9F35-BDC05848C6FF.jpeg
#3719 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Phenolic is a very strong substrate and I believe it could possibly be a solution to this problem?

Phenolic resin is what pool balls are made of.

#3720 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That being said, I just ran bright light over my STTNG & looked at every angle. Not one dimple at all...and that’s a game with 2 cannons and a flying lockout.

I have had other QC issues with my Maiden but there really are no dimples and never have been.

IMG_6280 (resized).jpgIMG_6280 (resized).jpg
#3721 4 years ago

stranger things is fun but the one on location in my town is already broke and it weighs like zero pounds. even in the rubber feet you can death save on it cause its so light lol. compared to like the walking dead next to it you cant even slide it in the rubber feet. also, you can never make the shot into the monsters mouth. zero out of like 70 attempts for me in the few games i put on it.

there is also a glitch in the code if you pop a credit and hit the start button in the transition between the game over screen and when it resets, it takes your credit lol.

#3722 4 years ago

My Maiden had some dimples but after a few thousand plays you cant see them anymore. (I know there are less fortunate owners)

#3723 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s a crapshoot!!!
Unfortunately with Stern, it always has been, even in the pre-crater days. Odds are you’d get a playfield with planking, colors were wrong, or the color alignment would be off. I’ve seen soooooo many variations of LOTR playfields. One had a full green Gollum on it!!! Some are rich looking. Some are washed out. Mine has nice colors, but the red alignments seems slightly off, so Frodo looks high lol.[quoted image]

Yeah, it's kind of like a lottery when you open the box.

Please let it be a good one!!

#3724 4 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

I'm a pro guy but I'm curious to see how the art packages will effect peoples choices between models. Do I want Turtles on my game or the Shredder version? Bebop and Rocksteady edition? Krang? Who knows?
(Actually a purple trimmed foot edition would be pretty awesome)

It’s Yeti, so every version will look great. Playfield will be the same on Prem/LE, so I don’t care if I miss an LE & get a Prem down the road.

#3725 4 years ago

I have had other QC issues with my Maiden but there really are no dimples and never have been.

I am generally curious how many layers your playfield is? Same with your STTNG Greg? As long as we are having this discussion again, let's try and figure out the discrepancies. Is it a 5-7 layer with a dark dense wood on the top, or is it a 9-11 with a lighter colored layer in the plywood? Just curious

#3726 4 years ago

I have had other QC issues with my Maiden but there really are no dimples and never have been.[quoted image]

That’s awesome. That shows it can be done, and craters shouldn’t be normalized as inevitable. Wonder if Stern is sourcing playfields from different places? Or could it be cure time? Was your Maiden from launch or did you buy later?

#3727 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It’s a crapshoot!!!
Unfortunately with Stern, it always has been, even in the pre-crater days. Odds are you’d get a playfield with planking, colors were wrong, or the color alignment would be off. I’ve seen soooooo many variations of LOTR playfields. One had a full green Gollum on it!!! Some are rich looking. Some are washed out. Mine has nice colors, but the red alignments seems slightly off, so Frodo looks high lol.[quoted image]

I remember with TSPP looking at the red on Lard Lad Donuts to see how everything lined up with the screening.

Now, who has been logging time on Stranger Things? Any word on when a Premium might be streamed or show up on location?

#3728 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am generally curious how many layers your playfield is? Same with your STTNG Greg? As long as we are having this discussion again, let's try and figure out the discrepancies. Is it a 5-7 layer with a dark dense wood on the top, or is it a 9-11 with a lighter colored layer in the plywood? Just curious

If you're going to get down to that level of detail (which I think is an interesting idea), probably should start a dedicated thread to it, lest the Stranger Things people off themselves out of frustration.

#3729 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Here’s mine...does that count as 7?

76BA236B-87CC-4983-92EB-48CA0D2341CE.jpeg76BA236B-87CC-4983-92EB-48CA0D2341CE.jpeg
#3730 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That's the part that gets me. At what point is there responsibility on the buyer? If expectations are higher than reality, why are people still buying nib? You say Stern is just being greedy but people are more than willing to hand over asking prices even with the history of questionable qc.

You're right. As long as the sales keep coming Stern won't change. It's just surprising that as a company Stern doesn't want to take more pride in their products by offering better quality and more value in their games. Tons of other successful companies have that mindset. I can't help but to look and play many recent Stern's and think "Yes, this game is fun but it's not worth the NIB asking price". The high prices, random quality control, and less being included on the playfield has started to take away the fun of owning new games. Might as well just play on location at that point.

#3731 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Here’s mine...does that count as 7?

Just as I thought-look at the top layer and it's color-really an old growth hardwood species-super dense. Just stick your fingernail in it-you can literally feel the difference in density compared to today's wood used in production.

#3732 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

I remember with TSPP looking at the red on Lard Lad Donuts to see how everything lined up with the screening.

I got a good one. Later run TSPP playfield. No splotch on Homer’s head like most of them. Zero dimples.

5F1320EA-0C68-4F5D-88A8-31F9732D91D0.jpeg5F1320EA-0C68-4F5D-88A8-31F9732D91D0.jpegE47E3A24-CB8F-4718-AC53-E063220D4B26.jpegE47E3A24-CB8F-4718-AC53-E063220D4B26.jpeg
#3733 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That’s awesome. That shows it can be done, and craters shouldn’t be normalized as inevitable. Wonder if Stern is sourcing playfields from different places? Or could it be cure time? Was your Maiden from launch or did you buy later?

I can't remember where the thread was, but in the last week, someone explained that Stern is having the clear done at 3 different sub-contract shops. Something like Stern does the playfield cutting and insert install in house, then the printing and clear is done at any of 3 places. I'll try to find the post again.

#3734 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I posted this in another thread but here's a great post from Mike at CPR regarding wood used for playfields at CPR and Stern. Based on Mike's reply below is sounds like Stern could match CPR's playfield specs for less than $50 more per game...

"Guys;

I have to jump in here as well, on four issues. The first was the Xenon PFs that we ran out of last year. The Xenon's I cut were in no way shape or form ever going to satisfy the entire interest but at the time I had the wood and inserts for a very limited number of PFs. I decided that rather than idle the CNC and layoff the guys it made more since to actually make the PFs I had materials for at the time. The rest of the material had been ordered but the lead times on our materials can be HUGE! It just made since to keep everyone employed and the machines working while new supplies were on route.

The second point I have to comment on is our wood. I absolutely believe that our wood is by FAR the best in the world. We have had many suppliers over the years and in bad times have been forced to use the same wood as the other PF manufacturer uses all the time and let me tell you that doing so is our last resort. Playfield wood over the decades has often been whatever was available to the manufacturers. Many PFs especially in the 70s and 80s PFs used three layers of thick cheap filler wood with two thin layers of maple on the faces, something you could buy at your local building supply only with thicker face veneers. For decades most of the better playfield wood came from North American Plywood near Chicago. It used sweet gum as its filler cores and .040" face veneers. But in 2008 in the downturn they liquidated their custom plywood mill and everyone was scrambling to find wood, even Stern. We then shifted to Marion Plywood from Wisconsin who made two very good orders for us before they shifted their glues to a more green product that warped like crazy. We even tried a Russian Baltic Birch that had custom maple veneers glued to it. It was expensive and unsuitable for several reasons. Finally, the current supplier for Stern contacted us and offered to make our wood. This was several years ago now and we couldn't have been happier as they work directly with us to produce the very best CUSTOM wood you can buy ANYWHERE! Their standard wood for Stern is a good one side panel with 3 layers of white ash and a 0.048" face veneers. After many consultations with their tech guys we came up with what I know is the best playfield wood in the world. We use the same basic setup as Stern, 3 layers of white ash cores then we use 4 layers of maritime hard maple BUT we increased the thickness of the two face veneers by 64% to get a nominal face thickness of 0.075". These huge and thick ONE piece veneers are crazy expensive and we always get this top grade veneer on BOTH sides of your PF. This alone added $12 to the cost of each panel vs just using a second grade veneer on the bottom like Stern does. There's nothing wrong with the way Stern does it, as they just refuse any board they want and since they are so close to the mill, the mill just picks it up with the next load and credits them. We however are a $4000 freight bill away so that won't work. We pay a lot extra to get the very best wood they can produce right off the start. You get a much nicer product and a much denser and tougher PF. This wood is 25% heavier for the same size panel as our old wood and nearly a third heavier as Baltic Birch which some other playfield manufacturers use. I would love to use cheaper wood like some others do, after all why would I pay $12.50/sqft landed when I can get birch at less than $2.00sqft? We use the best densest hardest custom wood we can get because we think its worth it and we always try to make the very best product we can.

There are other point is that we intentionally make three levels of quality. Wow, really? We always try to make perfect playfields, every single time but in the past we ALWAYS did full spot color silkscreens which meant that each and every color layer is individually vectored with trapping layers built and silk screened one color at a time, one on top of the other. 14 colors means 14 trips through the screen press. 14! Even the slightest misalignment in any single layer of the normal 12-14 color process means the final product isn't a gold anymore. Its wood, a living surface so if the ink doesn't lay down into every nook and cranny of every square mm of the grain then its not a gold. If a single piece of dust get in the screen and makes its way into the print which is very hard to prevent then its really not a gold anymore. To screen press a playfield we could never do more than about 1 color a day just due to the logistics of cleaning the ink you just used out of the screen trying to save what you can, then removing the screen and washing it with cleaner and paper towels, then once the ink is out, rinsing and then using a stripper to remove the image from the screen, then rinsing, then bleaching the screen to remove all traces of the previous image, rinsing, then drying the screen. Then you have to coat the screen with a photosensitive liquid and let that dry. Then you lay on your full size and expensive direct contact positive and expose the whole thing to a powerful UV light, then immediately wash the screen once more to expose the image which means a third drying of the screen! Then mount it and align it precisely to the previous image on the screen press, which always involves a few trial and error hits on test prints. Add in a cleaned and sharpened squeegee and print your single color...... now repeat this process for each and every color on the playfield. Any misalignment at all, even as small as 1/64"in ANY layer and you may not have a gold, any mark from handing and small dropout of ink, and deep grain that the ink didn't get to and you may not have a gold anymore. Screen printing is many many times harder to do than printing it digitally. Producing artwork for screen printing is horrendously more difficult than prepping something for a digital print. We are very lucky that we have years worth of vectored artwork that can fairly easily be converted for digital use to be used on our big flatbed but you can't go the other way. If you printed 100 PFs and have 10 that are not perfect you had no choice but to sell them, hence silvers and bronze. It could take you as long as 2 weeks to reprint those 10 PFs. Now if you are doing these on a digital printer you have eliminated ANY chance of a misalignment because its a single flat image not 12-14 images laid on top of one another, the printer is spraying, so surface imperfections are easily covered and there is no screen to get contaminated. So for screen printing, since the artwork is many times more complex in comparison and the printing method is many times more complex its no wonder that we didn't always get 100% gold. Of course if you have something go sideways on a digital print it takes but minutes to sand the ink off and clean it up and run it through the printer once again, $8 in inks costs versus basically spending two weeks trying to rescreen a few seconds. But now that we have the same tech as others we can also fairly easily reprint an error so there will be much fewer silver and bronzes in our future.

Making the right number of PFs for everyone is more art than anything else. Playfields are crazy expensive to make and the production costs are all up front. In some cases royalties and licensing alone can cost as high as 25% of the full retail value of the PF, do some quick math and figure out the size of the check you'd have to write to cover that on 100 pfs!! Inserts can cost $25-$100 per PF due to minimum requirements of the molders. You can figure out our wood costs from above. Add in the costs of 2 CNCs, 2 laser cutters, a silk screen operation, a huge UV flatbed etc.... now figure that 50% of the guys who signed up don't buy!! In the case of Corvette PFs we had 75% of people who signed up didn't purchase as they promised! Have two or three of these happen in a row and anyone would become gun shy real quick or we risk losing our homes! I tried deposits when I first started this and it was a nightmare, lately we have on rare occasions used them again with much more success so maybe that's a possibility but truthfully making smaller numbers is the safest thing to do. Using the digital system instead of silk screening makes much more sense and having the ability to digitally reprint our screen printed seconds may get rid of them almost entirely.

Making PFs is complex, silk screening playfields is stoopid complex and expensive in the very small numbers we make but we do it because we love it.

Mike"

Regarding maple vs baltic birch see Vid's reply below, good stuff.

pinball playfield wood (resized).JPGpinball playfield wood (resized).JPG

#3735 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My TNA has plenty of dimples, chipped post, and it also is planking

what?

Did you get one of the bad PFs in middle run?

I have not seen any planking. Let's see pictures of this.

#3737 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what?
Did you get one of the bad PFs in middle run?
I have not seen any planking. Let's see pictures of this.

Yes I believe it was one from middle run. I purchased from Suli and received an extra playfield for the defects. My point is-it is not just Stern having these issues.

#3738 4 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

I think paid for DLC, or whatever it will be called, is coming to pinball.
I see rarehero's points though and he's not wrong about it all. Maybe if they dropped the prices back to where they were in 2010 it would be sweet, but it is hard to pay 6-15k and then fork over money for content.
I'd pay for DLC, if it made the game better in the end. It's tough to trust this model though because all of it is subjective....it's impossible to know if a game is really complete and DLC is just extra goodness, or the remaining 25% of the original game that we should have had in the first place.
I don't have all the answers, but the if companies do it, the plan should be transparent and communicated up front when the game is released.

Here’s a better idea than DLC, how about Stern vaulting games with new cabinet art, translite and additional seasons material? New buyers of game are paying additional costs to get a fresh game while old owners get a freebie if they choose to upload new code on their old dirty pins. Much simpler for Stern to control distribution as no dongle or password is needed for a Win/Win/Win.

#3739 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I got a good one. Later run TSPP playfield. No splotch on Homer’s head like most of them. Zero dimples.[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice registration! I remember seeing 10 along side each other, no two were the same.

#3740 4 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

stranger things is fun but the one on location in my town is already broke and it weighs like zero pounds. even in the rubber feet you can death save on it cause its so light lol. compared to like the walking dead next to it you cant even slide it in the rubber feet. also, you can never make the shot into the monsters mouth. zero out of like 70 attempts for me in the few games i put on it.
there is also a glitch in the code if you pop a credit and hit the start button in the transition between the game over screen and when it resets, it takes your credit lol.

I played one on location last night for about two hours. I didn't notice it being any lighter than the other machines. I hope it is though cause I just bought one and have to take it down a flight of stairs lol.

I played the game on the 31st and the entire day I only saw 3 shots go in out of hundreds and I was not able to do it. Last night I made my very first shot and then again the next two times. All of the shots that went in were from a cradled left flipper. Could not dial it in from the right. Looking closer at the machine I believe the playfield angle was adjusted. It was much easier last night and a lot of fun.

#3741 4 years ago

Some dimpling can be attractive...

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#3742 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Do you have an airball issue or something?

No air all issue, just an example of playfield difference, and it still plays great.
Back to the Stranger Things topic....
The left ramp up post on mine came apart just like the other ones in this thread. It seems the “crimp” on the meatball portion isn’t tight enough to hold the post.
I took it to the curb, and hammered a punch into the mark of the original crimp, a few whacks in both sides and back in the game, been working fine since.

#3743 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I took it to the curb, and hammered a punch into the mark of the original crimp, a few whacks in both sides and back in the game, been working fine since.

Stern QA fix at its best. Should charge them for your labor.

#3744 4 years ago

Pics are not mine, and were taken from Facebook, but it looks like other issues are popping up. Anyone else have this issue?

st1 (resized).jpgst1 (resized).jpgst2 (resized).jpgst2 (resized).jpgst3 (resized).jpgst3 (resized).jpgst4 (resized).jpgst4 (resized).jpg
#3745 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Mid 2018 I think.

I got unlucky with a crappy cabinet though

It's like lucky dip

#3746 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes I believe it was one from middle run. I purchased from Suli and received an extra playfield for the defects. My point is-it is not just Stern having these issues.

I think your point actually shows that is is just Stern.

Spooky had a handful of games mid-run of TNA where one person/thing seemed to go off protocol. They have since corrected (and glad they also gave you a spare pf! great service)

Both early run and late run TNA and all ACNC seem to have the best pfs in the industry. I assume that will continue to R&M.
Pic of TNA with thousands of plays below.

Super nice stuff

04DAFC85-0952-40C3-8252-6F32177FA187 (resized).jpeg04DAFC85-0952-40C3-8252-6F32177FA187 (resized).jpeg
#3747 4 years ago

At least the post issue seems like an easy quick fix..

#3748 4 years ago

Stern should include Playfield Protectors installed on the LEs at minimum, even Premiums. Or, better yet, just put a playfield protector on each playfield before then machine is assembled. At the prices of NIB pins why can't that just be a standard thing at this point? It would probably save them money in the long run from playfield issues, complaints, etc...

#3749 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Stern should include Playfield Protectors installed on the LEs at minimum, even Premiums. Or, better yet, just put a playfield protector on each playfield before then machine is assembled. At the prices of NIB pins why can't that just be a standard thing at this point? It would probably save them money in the long run from playfield issues, complaints, etc...

Because many people, myself included, think playfield protectors are stupid. The game doesn't play the same.

#3750 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Because many people, myself included, think playfield protectors are stupid. The game doesn't play the same.

I agree, mylar and protectors are a bane for people that would rather just take care of their play field.

I think mods are cool in general, but anything that can't be removed without causing destruction is no good IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.