IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 144.
#3651 4 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

Beatles has 8 songs. 5 song modes shown above flippers plus Can’t Buy Me Love, Help and Taxman.

Thanks.

The good news is then 10 more songs and modes should only cost like $80!

#3652 4 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

oh god, another thread about dimpling. I skipped to the last page to hopefully read about people's opinion on the game and I got a bunch of dimpling talk.

There's plenty of opinions on the game. You aren't going to find those on the last page in most threads.

These hype threads need poll 1. Love it 2. It's okay 3. Not interested 4. Dimples

#3653 4 years ago

I heard that Stern is testing Down Loaded Dimples.

#3654 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Everyone here plays a part in making pinball still exist. So - if someone is spending money on a machine, whether it’s an operator or homeowner, quality is expected.

What you said here IS the exact reason to stick to the older games for purchase. Why buy new when it is most assuredly a declining asset? Games used to be priced where you'd damn near break even when you sold. What a hobby!! Well, those days are over. Stern also made a quality product from 2003-2008 (Simpsons-BDK) with a lot to do on most games and quality toys and reliable board sets. Games were 4K all in at the most just 10 years ago. Now you're at $5700 for a stripped down, nothing game with a roll-the-dice playfield and failing node boards.

For $2.00, you can play 3 games of an LE in the wild, leave it, and never have to worry about it, just like in the days before people had to own them.

#3655 4 years ago

This thread has devolved into a shit show. Everybody is just babbling random junk because there is no news and they want to run their mouths. Ugh

#3656 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This thread has devolved into a shit show. Everybody is just babbling random junk ...

So pretty much the norm?

#3657 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Everybody is just babbling random junk because there is no news and they want to run their mouths. Ugh

You know, and I know, that chaos and bedlam are consuming the entire world! UV light waves are only the beginning, Tom. We have an inch of topsoil left.

#3658 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Everybody is just babbling random junk

BOBO.jpgBOBO.jpg
#3659 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

This thread has devolved into a shit show. Everybody is just babbling random junk because there is no news and they want to run their mouths. Ugh

Thank you for your contribution.

#3660 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Kinda surprised so many guys would want this pin in their home. There’s a nearly bald, 12 year old girl with a nosebleed on the translite.
I couldn’t look at that translite in my lineup every day.

AC/DC Pro managed to sell with one of the ugliest mugs on the planet featured prominently on the playfield.

#3661 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Kinda surprised so many guys would want this pin in their home. There’s a nearly bald, 12 year old girl with a nosebleed on the translite.

Works for me! All in !! Let’s go!!!

ABCF727C-75B0-42A6-8657-020708D47221 (resized).jpegABCF727C-75B0-42A6-8657-020708D47221 (resized).jpeg61CD7B08-5789-49BA-9D0D-72D8D201D855 (resized).jpeg61CD7B08-5789-49BA-9D0D-72D8D201D855 (resized).jpeg
#3662 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Works for me! All in !! Let’s go!!![quoted image][quoted image]

Looks good next to the Tron

#3663 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Works for me!

Aghhhhh! Looks washed out and does not look that good imo.

-Congrats by the way on the pick up!

Now can someone please make an alternative translight for the Pro owners asap!
SRT Translight.jpgSRT Translight.jpg

#3664 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Thank you for your contribution.

About the same as yours.

#3665 4 years ago
SRT Art.jpgSRT Art.jpg
#3666 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

The pro translite is downright ugly in my opinion. Hell, I think I prefer GOT's pro transite over it and that one is horrible as well. I'm not sure who made the decision to use that artwork for the pro transite, just wow. Same goes for the side cabinet artwork on the pro, it's not appealing. The pro artwork is going to look worse overtime considering the shows actors now look much older. Premium translite isn't much better. LE translite looks really nice!

It's a shame the artwork couldn't of been done in the style below. Would have looked great mirrored! Both of these are official Stranger Things posters sold on Amazon.

Season 1

7152oz+hIHL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg7152oz+hIHL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

Season 2

81y+ep8laWL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg81y+ep8laWL._SL1500_ (resized).jpg

#3667 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Aghhhhh! Looks washed out and does not look that good imo.
-Congrats by the way on the pick up!
Now can someone please make an alternative translight for the Pro owners asap!
[quoted image]

I am not a professional photographer..

Looks great in person !

A21EA13A-D432-4E6D-960F-A5AB9EFF979B (resized).jpegA21EA13A-D432-4E6D-960F-A5AB9EFF979B (resized).jpeg
#3668 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Today's stern and JJP games playfields are going to dimple. No matter what. CGC and Spooky seem to have it figured out and their PFs don't dimple or have pooling/chipping near posts. (a very small run of TNA playfields had some issues, but spooky took care of it very quickly)

All my.jjp pins have been solid as far as the dimple category.... hardly any and if it does they are not deep like some other companies.

#3669 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

#3670 4 years ago

Always liked that first poster.

Hoping a Huo pops up for sale due to all the negativity or someone wanting an LE

#3671 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Those dimples aren’t bad at all, look about the same as the machine I care for.
...and to those claiming this is only Stern, and CGC or whoever is better, you’re wrong.[quoted image]

That’s a lot. Holy crap. Is that a Bally?

#3672 4 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

What you said here IS the exact reason to stick to the older games for purchase. Why buy new when it is most assuredly a declining asset? Games used to be priced where you'd damn near break even when you sold. What a hobby!! Well, those days are over. Stern also made a quality product from 2003-2008 (Simpsons-BDK) with a lot to do on most games and quality toys and reliable board sets. Games were 4K all in at the most just 10 years ago. Now you're at $5700 for a stripped down, nothing game with a roll-the-dice playfield and failing node boards.
For $2.00, you can play 3 games of an LE in the wild, leave it, and never have to worry about it, just like in the days before people had to own them.

I buy games to play. I put money in my IRA to invest.

#3673 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Those are called dimples. Are you new to pinball?

Yes, actually. And yeah, I still think dimpling is odd, I don't see it at all on what was a disgustingly abused 27 year old game that I have now and have cleaned up. Ball swirls, a couple paint chips, and a trail, yes...but no dimpling, at least not like that.

#3674 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Works for me! All in !! Let’s go!!![quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats!!! What are your impressions? I’m still 50/50 on this one... love Stranger things and Brian Eddie... you

#3675 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

That’s a lot. Holy crap. Is that a Bally?

CGC remake, LE

#3676 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

CGC remake, LE

Do you have an airball issue or something? The AfMLE here looks nothing like that after being on location most of its life.

#3677 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These tiny little pin pricks are what you guys are getting all worked up about? Looks fine to me.
Dimpling isn't real. You guys are all insane, and ruining pinball.

Expectations for build quality, code depth, and what is being offered feature wise have all gone up dramatically after NIB games have in many cases doubled over the past 10 years, and nearly tripled over the past 15 years. People wouldn't be complaining as much if these games were still $3k - $5k new but not at $6k - $9k+.

Stern, JJP, etc can charge these insane prices but they better back it up with top quality. Theres no excuse other then greed at this point for poor playfield quality considering these asking prices. Today's playfields should really be of better quality then those made 20 years ago.

#3678 4 years ago

Sorry, wrong thread, back to Stranger Things.

#3679 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

You know, and I know, that chaos and bedlam are consuming the entire world! UV light waves are only the beginning, Tom. We have an inch of topsoil left.

Sexually transmitted diseases, deforestation, irreversibly progressive depletion of the global gene pool. It all adds up to oblivion, pal. Governments will fall, anarchies will reign! It's a brave new world.

#3680 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Loved? Are you serious? EA has gotten so greedy that lootcrategate almost got national legislation to prevent it as gambling, which it essentially is. It's a very close relative of DLC and very manipulative of the customer. Nope. Can't get on board with it.

EA sports, it's in the.............(pays $3.99)...game!

#3681 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

People wouldn't be complaining as much if these games were still $3k - $5k new

I doubt it.

#3682 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

CGC remake, LE

Exactly my point. My AFM Bally did not look like that. My 1994 Addams Gold looks nothing like that. Something has changed.

#3683 4 years ago

What starts first? Season 4 or Multiball? Discuss...

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 9.09.35 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-01-03 at 9.09.35 AM (resized).png
#3684 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Speaking of pricks...

No, narcissists like you who think YOUR way to “hobby” is the only way are what ruins pinball. Have some fucking respect for the people who buy machines. They’re part of what keeps these companies alive so you can run around putting quarters in games. Pinball doesn’t exist on route alone. Everyone here plays a part in making pinball still exist. So - if someone is spending money on a machine, whether it’s an operator or homeowner, quality is expected. Stop insulting and gaslighting people for having expectations and principals.

So much truth here!

#3685 4 years ago

Largest up post in the history of pinball!! Haha. Will lock tite even work on plastic?

#3686 4 years ago

The issue with the up post seems pretty wide spread. The game on location here had it break also.

#3687 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The issue with the up post seems pretty wide spread. The game on location here had it break also.

Did it break to come loose? Like the post by the JP upper flipper.

#3688 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Did it break to come loose? Like the post by the JP upper flipper.

My understanding is the post separated from the assembly. I have not inspected in person.

#3689 4 years ago

I started to notice the deep 'craters' in my Star Trek LE and thought it was a defective playfield. Since then we have had numerous discussions about dimpling or cratering and what I believe is happening is not necessarily Stern's, JJP's, or Spooky's fault. I believe the reason we are seeing a drastic difference between playfield quality between the decades has to do with the quality of the wood and changes in the chemicals used for clear-coat. Old growth forest v.s. new growth(night and day difference) forest make it difficult to source high quality specimens. EPA regulations have outlawed many chemicals that were used in the 90's for clear-coating, leaving companies to try and find alternatives(not the same). I believe the older playfields that are holding up well typically used a harder more dense plywood layer than what they are using today. Today's wood and clear coat do not feel as dense and thus the dimples become craters. People will argue that it is normal and over time they will even out. Ok that is true but what is going on is the dimples have become deeper and in turn it takes a lot longer and a lot more plays to see that playfield even out. It is difficult for a home owner to put 10,000 games on a machine to level out the craters-so in the meantime craters are here to stay and will continue to be an eye sore. My .02

#3690 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I started to notice the deep 'craters' in my Star Trek LE and thought it was a defective playfield. Since then we have had numerous discussions about dimpling or cratering and what I believe is happening is not necessarily Stern's, JJP's, or Spooky's fault. I believe the reason we are seeing a drastic difference between playfield quality between the decades has to do with the quality of the wood and changes in the chemicals used for clear-coat. Old growth forest v.s. new growth(night and day difference) forest make it difficult to source high quality specimens. EPA regulations have outlawed many chemicals that were used in the 90's for clear-coating, leaving companies to try and find alternatives(not the same). I believe the older playfields that are holding up well typically used a harder more dense plywood layer than what they are using today. Today's wood and clear coat do not feel as dense and thus the dimples become craters. People will argue that it is normal and over time they will even out. Ok that is true but what is going on is the dimples have become deeper and in turn it takes a lot longer and a lot more plays to see that playfield even out. It is difficult for a home owner to put 10,000 games on a machine to level out the craters-so in the meantime craters are here to stay and will continue to be an eye sore. My .02

Cratering like this will never even out. Even after tens of thousands of plays.

7B930CC3-551F-4EF5-8F5D-726DC950067D.jpeg7B930CC3-551F-4EF5-8F5D-726DC950067D.jpeg8B7E0EAA-D6D4-43FE-BF8F-9BF90411C422.jpeg8B7E0EAA-D6D4-43FE-BF8F-9BF90411C422.jpegD7760EAE-67EB-41AB-AD59-82A10D8D1167.jpegD7760EAE-67EB-41AB-AD59-82A10D8D1167.jpeg
#3691 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cratering like this will never even out. Even after tens of thousands of plays.

Where the hell is vid1900- we have another dimplegate on our hands

#3692 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Don't say his name three times...

vid1900 (resized).jpgvid1900 (resized).jpg
#3693 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

We don’t need gaslighters to tell us not to believe what we see with our own eyes.

#3694 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

We don’t need gaslighters to tell us not to believe what we see with our own eyes.

What is your solution?

I believe the manufacturers are doing everything they can to produce high quality playfields. Ghostbusters cost Stern a shit ton of money for quality control, do you not think they have done everything to avoid another debacle?

I guess I have grown to accept craters in playfields and still enjoy supporting and buying NIB machines. I put my magnifying glass back in the drawer where it belongs.

#3695 4 years ago

Yikes! I think it is good, however, that this keeps coming up and being discussed because it is unacceptable. Are they telling us don’t use our product unless you install a playfield protector ?

I am of the belief that properly selected materials will solve this. The playfield is the crown juwel of a pinball machine.

#3696 4 years ago

if the dimples was related to clear figure you would see dimples on the inserts which you don't. the wood is softer now than it was 10+ years ago and stern games play fast with airballs. Craters

I try not to let it bother me as the stern games play good, but when the light hits the playfield at the right angle it looks like a damn golf ball. =(

#3697 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Cratering like this will never even out. Even after tens of thousands of plays.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow!

#3698 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

I am of the belief that properly selected materials will solve this.

One day a fellow friend(pinsider) and I were having this discussion about the playfield quality of today. He suggested switching to a high density plastic playfield. Would a high density polyethylene (HDPE) be a viable alternative? Definitely got me thinking.

#3699 4 years ago

Polymer coatings and overlays..... it’s coming.

#3700 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

What is your solution?

Don’t buy new games. They’re too expensive to look like this. None of my 2005-2013 Sterns look like this. My Hobbit & TNA (bought used) didn’t look like this. The knowledge to make non-cratering playfields exists. Stern doesn’t want to take the steps to do it, so I won’t buy their games.

Quoted from pinmister:

I guess I have grown to accept craters in playfields and still enjoy supporting and buying NIB machines. I put my magnifying glass back in the drawer where it belongs.

You’ve got Pinball Stockholm's. You’re Stern’s abused captive & love them. These aren’t magnifying glass issues. I could take a magnifying glass to my games and find flaws. My great looking playfields have dimples if you magnify - this isn’t that. Cratering is NOT dimpling. It’s something else. These are obvious defects you don’t have to try hard to find. You have 37 games. You have plenty of pinball to play and enjoy without rewarding poor quality with multi-thousand dollar purchases.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 39.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/74?hl=jy64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.