IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 144.
#3601 4 years ago

I would have loved a mall bash similar to midevil madness. I think it could still be done with the projector. But would have been awesome when the ramp comes down the demogorgan turns around and you fight the mind flayer.

#3602 4 years ago
Quoted from P1nhead:

I was just at sunshine this last Saturday into Sunday - they did not have stranger things in rotation then... guess I just missed it.

They came in on Monday.

#3603 4 years ago

Got to play the Pro version on site yesterday, here are my first impressions after several plays:
-High risk targets are worthless as far as points go, just stick to the ramps.
-Like y'all have been discussing, it may be a setup issue...but I found the demogorgan shot impossible, so did my wife, and so did the other few people we watched play. I had to have made 3 dozen attempts and didn't sink it once.
-Current code is Alpha at best, the few callouts there are are not balanced with the music (Ball save callout is super loud compared to music that can barely be heard).
-Playfield looks like garbage! Dozens upon dozens of what appear to be bubbles or pit marks, clearly some really poor clearcoat, see the photos below.
-Ball doesn't seem to exit from the right orbit very smoothly the majority of the time.
-Least satisfying ball lock...ever...

I will say this, the video clips, other than the cheesy demogorgan coming through the wallpaper, are pretty cool and well done.

I really wanted to dig on this title, especially with the theme and all. Hopefully some code revisions will fix the unbalanced scoring issue and add actual callouts. Maybe I'll get a chance to play a prem/le sometime, but the pro title leaves a lot to be desired.
80856088_3077820345564318_2811641602353659904_o (resized).jpg80856088_3077820345564318_2811641602353659904_o (resized).jpg82203587_3077820828897603_3207145937843519488_o (resized).jpg82203587_3077820828897603_3207145937843519488_o (resized).jpg

#3604 4 years ago
Quoted from Iwasthebruce:

-Playfield looks like garbage! Dozens upon dozens of what appear to be bubbles or pit marks, clearly some really poor clearcoat, see the photos below.

Dimpling.

#3606 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

[quoted image]

Those are Sterns official dimple viewing sunglasses. View your playfield with them on and suddenly the dimples disappear!

#3608 4 years ago

Hard to not have dimples when 100% of the dog-sphincter shots on some machines ricochet off the target, smack the glass and then land on the playfield.

#3609 4 years ago

New Sterns dimple wayyyyy more violently - more and deeper craters - than new CGC games AND older Stern games.

My brother’s new GoTG already has the gash dimples recent Stern’s are know for, and lots of dimples in general. Far worse then my new MMr. And my XMEN LE playfield, which I have no idea how many total plays are on it, looks practically new. It has dimpling, but you have to down real close and look from an angle. Something is definitely different about Stern playfields in the Spike 2 era. In short, they suck.

#3610 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Good part:
If you love the beatles pin, how wouldn´t pay a 100$ to have 10 additional songs and game modes?

The cheapest beatles was like 7k+ and you got 5-6 songs.... You think for $100 more you're going to 10 songs and modes?

It seems the beat part aboot DLC are the unrealistic dreaming that comes with it.

#3611 4 years ago

Today's stern and JJP games playfields are going to dimple. No matter what. CGC and Spooky seem to have it figured out and their PFs don't dimple or have pooling/chipping near posts. (a very small run of TNA playfields had some issues, but spooky took care of it very quickly)

#3612 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

New Sterns dimple wayyyyy more violently - more and deeper craters - than new CGC games AND older Stern games.
My brother’s new GoTG already has the gash dimples recent Stern’s are know for, and lots of dimples in general. Far worse then my new MMr. And my XMEN LE playfield, which I have no idea how many total plays are on it, looks practically new. It has dimpling, but you have to down real close and look from an angle. Something is definitely different about Stern playfields in the Spike 2 era. In short, they suck.

Yup. Craters vs. dimples. All playfields dimple, but the well made older playfields you really has to specifically look at the right angle in the right light to see it. The best Stern PFs I ever saw were my WOF & BDK. They were like slick glass...zero dimples, even if you looked hard. These new mushy crater playfields have been happening since around X-Men. It’s inconsistent though. Sometimes they’re good, sometimes they’re bad. I had a STLE with a very nice playfield, no craters...a friend a few towns over got one that looked like it had herpes after 80 plays.

#3613 4 years ago

Is it allowed to talk dimples without vid1900 around?

vid1900 (resized).jpgvid1900 (resized).jpg
#3614 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Today's stern and JJP games playfields are going to dimple. No matter what. CGC and Spooky seem to have it figured out and their PFs don't dimple or have pooling/chipping near posts. (a very small run of TNA playfields had some issues, but spooky took care of it very quickly)

My TNA dimpled as the Sterns I had. Then again it was #36 I think and don‘t care. Wouldn‘t use a protector.

#3615 4 years ago

My TNA dimpled just like my brand new GOTG and the AFMR I had. It's least visible on my TF that has the most plays (dimples has smoothed out) but remember when I got my Stern Trek that every fly ball made what looked like a crater. Barely notice these days.

My Tron (2nd or 3rd run) that sat in a box for 5 years has got a very good cure and is not as noticeable.

#3616 4 years ago

Yeah, that's the word I was looking for! But in this case, it doesnt appear to be caused by the ball, but maybe that's me? The dimples seem waaaay to small a diameter to have been caused by the ball, but who knows.

This was only the 2nd day this machine had been on site...still really disappointing one way or the other!

#3617 4 years ago

The dimples seem waaaay to small a diameter to have been caused by the ball, but who knows.

Drop a ball on the PF and increase the height one inch for each drop. The dimple grows as the height increases. One inch looking like a speck of dust up to a groove you can feel with your finger. Do this under the apron close to the PF graphics, some clearcoaters are for obvious reasons not a detail oriented underneath the apron.

#3618 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Drop a ball on the PF and increase the height one inch for each drop. The dimple grows as the height increases. One inch looking like a speck of dust up to a groove you can feel with your finger. Do this under the apron close to the PF graphics, some clearcoaters are for obvious reasons not a detail oriented underneath the apron.

Or don't and just play pinball.

Why does this nonsense refuse to die? Put away your magnifying glasses, and take out your dollar bills and flip.

#3619 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah, sorry about this nonsense. I truly can't give a fuck as long as the game plays correctly.

#3620 4 years ago

Yeah, that's the word I was looking for! But in this case, it doesnt appear to be caused by the ball, but maybe that's me? The dimples seem waaaay to small a diameter to have been caused by the ball, but who knows.
This was only the 2nd day this machine had been on site...still really disappointing one way or the other!

If you don't own the game then how is it disappointing to you? All games dimple, some dimple more than others, just a part of pinball when a steel ball impacts a wood surface.

#3621 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why does this nonsense refuse to die?

Because older playfields didn’t crater & turn into lumps. New ones do & cost $6k-$15k.

#3622 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Because older playfields didn’t crater & turn into lumps. New ones do & cost $6k-$15k.

The playfields haven't changed. You have.

Try to remember when pinball was fun.

#3623 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They have. You’re being disingenuous and spreading disinformation.

Pinball is fun. One can have fun playing pinball and critique the sub-par quality new machines. Walk & chew gum.

#3624 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They have. You’re being disingenuous and spreading disinformation.
Pinball is fun. One can have fun playing pinball and critique the sub-par quality new machines. Walk & chew gum.

walkandchew.gifwalkandchew.gif
#3625 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The playfield quality is all over the place on the new Sterns. I have personally inspected new machines at multiple locations and the playfields range from good to terrible in terms of dimples, pooling, and chipping. Stern really needs to step up their QC.

#3626 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

[quoted image]

Great movie, what was it called again? Ahh yes

They Dimple

#3627 4 years ago

One thing is for sure - the font artist sure loves their exclamation points! They are on almost every insert! Makes it so much more legible! Especially when there are so many inserts to begin with!

#3628 4 years ago
Quoted from VegasMike:

One thing is for sure - the font artist sure loves their exclamation points! They are on almost every insert! Makes it so much more legible! Especially when there are so many inserts to begin with!

#3629 4 years ago
Quoted from VegasMike:

I really wonder what process is in place for art review. You see a lot of just weird stuff in the art, there is really no excuse for this stuff to be in the final product.

#3630 4 years ago
Quoted from VegasMike:

But Final Showdown doesn't. You'd think that one would!

#3631 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why does this nonsense refuse to die? Put away your magnifying glasses, and take out your dollar bills and flip.

Just pointing it out is all, maybe I'm just new...but I hadn't seen anything like this before. Also, no magnifying glass needed, the playfield looked like a cheap car that'd survived a hail storm...rather imposibble to miss.

But yeah, I didn't buy one and will continue to happily flip on site

#3632 4 years ago

The effect was visible within 2hrs of play on our local one. It's definately dimples from balls.. presumably due to the drop targets and stationary targets around the shot entrances.

#3633 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Because on this title and example.. it was extreme compared to other recent titles. It was notable, even if it doesn't bother you.

#3634 4 years ago

risk of dimpling is a legitimate reason not to buy a new pin.

And seeing an unsightly dimpled pin in an arcade or bar points to a high risk.

#3635 4 years ago

Brian Eddy games from 25 years ago have way more going on than Stranger Things. Williams/Bally hasn't made a pinball machine in 21 years now and they're still the king. Pretty sad.

#3636 4 years ago

Just pointing it out is all, maybe I'm just new...but I hadn't seen anything like this before. Also, no magnifying glass needed, the playfield looked like a cheap car that'd survived a hail storm...rather imposibble to miss.
But yeah, I didn't buy one and will continue to happily flip on site

And now you know why Levi doesn’t care, because he doesn’t buy them.

Quoted from branlon8:

risk of dimpling is a legitimate reason not to buy a new pin.

Totally agree. Now, if you don’t care you don’t care, but you take your chances either way with Stern’s.

#3637 4 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

Is it allowed to talk dimples without vid1900 around?[quoted image]

We need Vid back!!

#3638 4 years ago

Playfield looks like garbage! Dozens upon dozens of what appear to be bubbles or pit marks, clearly some really poor clearcoat,

Those are called dimples. Are you new to pinball?

#3639 4 years ago

The dimples seem waaaay to small a diameter to have been caused by the ball, but who knows.

Those dimples aren’t bad at all, look about the same as the machine I care for.
...and to those claiming this is only Stern, and CGC or whoever is better, you’re wrong.

CFC4C075-F3FE-4884-8E94-596DACF4FB41 (resized).jpegCFC4C075-F3FE-4884-8E94-596DACF4FB41 (resized).jpeg
#3640 4 years ago

Got to play the Pro version on site yesterday, here are my first impressions after several plays:
-High risk targets are worthless as far as points go, just stick to the ramps.
-Like y'all have been discussing, it may be a setup issue...but I found the demogorgan shot impossible, so did my wife, and so did the other few people we watched play. I had to have made 3 dozen attempts and didn't sink it once.
-Current code is Alpha at best, the few callouts there are are not balanced with the music (Ball save callout is super loud compared to music that can barely be heard).
-Ball doesn't seem to exit from the right orbit very smoothly the majority of the time.
-Least satisfying ball lock...ever...
I will say this, the video clips, other than the cheesy demogorgan coming through the wallpaper, are pretty cool and well done.
I really wanted to dig on this title, especially with the theme and all. Hopefully some code revisions will fix the unbalanced scoring issue and add actual callouts. Maybe I'll get a chance to play a prem/le sometime, but the pro title leaves a lot to be desired.
[quoted image][quoted image]

These tiny little pin pricks are what you guys are getting all worked up about? Looks fine to me.

Dimpling isn't real. You guys are all insane, and ruining pinball.

#3641 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The cheapest beatles was like 7k+ and you got 5-6 songs.... You think for $100 more you're going to 10 songs and modes

Beatles has 8 songs. 5 song modes shown above flippers plus Can’t Buy Me Love, Help and Taxman.

#3642 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

These tiny little pin pricks are what you guys are getting all worked up about? Looks fine to me.

Speaking of pricks...

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Dimpling isn't real. You guys are all insane, and ruining pinball.

No, narcissists like you who think YOUR way to “hobby” is the only way are what ruins pinball. Have some fucking respect for the people who buy machines. They’re part of what keeps these companies alive so you can run around putting quarters in games. Pinball doesn’t exist on route alone. Everyone here plays a part in making pinball still exist. So - if someone is spending money on a machine, whether it’s an operator or homeowner, quality is expected. Stop insulting and gaslighting people for having expectations and principals.

#3643 4 years ago

Kinda surprised so many guys would want this pin in their home. There’s a nearly bald, 12 year old girl with a nosebleed on the translite.

I couldn’t look at that translite in my lineup every day.

#3644 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Speaking of pricks...

No, narcissists like you who think YOUR way to “hobby” is the only way are what ruins pinball. Have some fucking respect for the people who buy machines. They’re part of what keeps these companies alive so you can run around putting quarters in games. Pinball doesn’t exist on route alone. Everyone here plays a part in making pinball still exist. So - if someone is spending money on a machine, whether it’s an operator or homeowner, quality is expected. Stop insulting and gaslighting people for having expectations and principals.

If he never buys games (and I wouldn't know one way or the other), that would definitely explain why he has no issues with any Stern games. Completely different mindset. I'm way less picky when games don't cost 6 grand+ ...the bulk of my collection was had for under 1k. No expectation for them to be flawless.

#3645 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'd take it over NASCAR, Big Hurt, SWE1, Demo man and maybe a few others but each to their own.

#3646 4 years ago

After sweaty old man nips, anything is possible!

#3647 4 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I'd take it over NASCAR, Big Hurt, SWE1, Demo man and maybe a few others but each to their own.

Hope you enjoy your new game.

#3648 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Kinda surprised so many guys would want this pin in their home. There’s a nearly bald, 12 year old girl with a nosebleed on the translite.

OK, i will not buy this pin because i have no relation to the serie.

But when you like this pin and you are worried about the translite. You must not.

A swap is easy to do, making new translites is easy to produce.

My AC/DC has Helen, my SW has a picture from the internet.

#3649 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

There’s a nearly bald, 12 year old girl with a nosebleed on the translite.

A damn strong 12 yo I might add. I love all the art packages but you know, taste and all that is individual.

#3650 4 years ago

oh god, another thread about dimpling. I skipped to the last page to hopefully read about people's opinion on the game and I got a bunch of dimpling talk.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Guilford, CT
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/73?hl=loganjk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.