IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 144.
#3401 4 years ago
Quoted from DG_Amuse:

My machine was exhibiting the Demogorgon shot issue that has been talked about here. I took some slow motion videos with my phone and it turned out the ball was coming in consistently low and then bouncing around. To fix this I placed some shims (a pop bumper fiber yolk broke in half) under each of the assembly’s feet. See pics for reference. This effectively steepened the ramp, which worked like a charm on my machine. I did have to relocate the ramp-down-position switch, because otherwise the ramp would stop about a 1/4” above the playfield surface. I hit four consecutive Demogorgon shots in row after the adjustment. Hope this helps someone if they’re experiencing similar issues. Cheers.[quoted image][quoted image]

thanks very much for sharing.

I need to get a buddy and glass off along with slo-mo camera running to figure out if ours is going high or low and then tweak.

Based on regular vision, I think ours is going high. I am not sure how to make that adjustment easily. May need to fabricate a shorter bracket? or would be better to raise the sculpture with shims likely.

#3402 4 years ago

I am digging the Premium art the best and wondering what powder color would look good? Candy Red, Iced Candy Blue or maybe chrome?

Iced Candy Blue PP.jpgIced Candy Blue PP.jpgSRT Premium.jpgSRT Premium.jpg
#3403 4 years ago

I think the Iced Blue Candy powder with some t-molding to match around back box would look sharp. Also thought it would be interesting if you could do under cabinet lighting that shines the underworld under the machine? I have a rotating green and yellow mystic light under my Ghostbusters that gives off a pretty cool effect.

#3404 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

thanks very much for sharing.
I need to get a buddy and glass off along with slo-mo camera running to figure out if ours is going high or low and then tweak.
Based on regular vision, I think ours is going high. I am not sure how to make that adjustment easily. May need to fabricate a shorter bracket? or would be better to raise the sculpture with shims likely.

There is a little hex spacer under the Demo that sits on a ball gate. I heard a recommendation to the shim that up so he tilts back just a bit more and see if it creates the clearance to get the ball in instead of hitting the top of the hole or his head.

#3405 4 years ago

Interested to see what Steve with Pinball Refinery does with SRT, always love his creations.

#3406 4 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

It's a forum for opinions. I debate with my friends about the quality of each new pin that comes to market. We often disagree and enjoy the debate. I would hate this place if it was a sentimental circle-jerk.
No one is forcing you to read any of this.

Lol... I think you missed my point man. But it's all good.... Your response just added to it. Happy New Year

#3407 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Crazy day yesterday but got an opp late at night to play latest code. One thing I didn't have any trouble with was that center shot. I actually got the ball in the hole many times so def not a design issue but machine by machine.
Getting the table setup properly was harder than usual. Not just balance but the table level seemed to have to be really perfect to get the shots to play as designed. All tables are like this but this one seems very sensitive which might explain the varing center shot.
Morse code mode has a really annoying beap that needs to be addressed...I know what they're going for but it needs to be dialed back.
More call outs but still not nearly enough
I like Harper call outs in certain situations but some will likely need to be pinbrowser'd out. One I keep on hearing is OOOOOOKAAAY. Just not a great delivery.
Game is fun. Upside down world mode now has more color difference so the entire pf goes purple. Sound effects are great.
No pf issues at all.
Lighting on this is good. Will just add a couple of spots maybe but with all the inserts it really is bright but still has that scary feel.
Speaking of, the game is so dark/spooky that including neverending story at the end would kind of break the feel. Thinking about where it might be best.... But injecting humor into this at this state will be interesting on Sarena part.
Love that theme music.
Looking at the premium screens and playing the pro, the images they showed on the premium reveal literally take the video from the pro and project it into the premium screens.....I thought it might be doing this (pro shows on lcd premium shows on the white screen). Premium will show letters and other smaller things on target and spinner.

Great review and thanks for taking the time for the write up!

You mentioned it took a while to set up the machine.

Would you mind sharing those details if you could? What pitch did you settle with?

#3408 4 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Wear and how did you relocate the switch?

I actually wound up moving the switch such that the original front mount screw became the rear mount screw, if that makes sense. So currently there’s only one screw holding the switch in place. I wanted to test this out and now that I know it works, I’ll likely drill a new hole in the motor mount plate.

Ramps didn’t come off, but all screws came out so they could be maneuvered out of the way.

#3409 4 years ago

No stream of LE/premium?

#3410 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am digging the Premium art the best and wondering what powder color would look good? Candy Red, Iced Candy Blue or maybe chrome?[quoted image][quoted image]

I like that blue option for the Premium. For the Pro which has more of a reddish vibe, I'm thinking of going with "Illusion Cherry"
illusion-cherry-pmb-6905-dt20190924173001812-thumbnail (resized).jpgillusion-cherry-pmb-6905-dt20190924173001812-thumbnail (resized).jpg

101-stranger-things-572x1024 (resized).jpg101-stranger-things-572x1024 (resized).jpg
#3411 4 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

I think you are both correct. This should be a forum for debates and discussion, however, I believe kpg’s point is that it doesn’t have to devolve into name calling, tasteless analogies and disrespectful fighting taking the discussion way off on a tangent. Let’s debate stuff but also keep it classy. We are a small and rare group of hobbyists, we need to band together not tear each other apart. Expressing differences can be done without compromising that objective.

Agree. Whats annoying to me isn't people posting positive or negative posts, but those who keep saying that you're not entitled to an opinion unless you have played the game. Makes the discussion go in circles.

#3412 4 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

There is a little hex spacer under the Demo that sits on a ball gate. I heard a recommendation to the shim that up so he tilts back just a bit more and see if it creates the clearance to get the ball in instead of hitting the top of the hole or his head.

thanks for the tip.

I will look at it more extensively.

Heard form one of our regulars and he said he had no problem hitting the hole; so possibly the game is slowing down a bit and not the ball speed is right to make the correct jump height.

I think the bigger solution is we need a better/ new sculpt. Hoping a modder can make it happen.

#3413 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am digging the Premium art the best and wondering what powder color would look good?

Black wrinkle looks great. The art is vivid & colorful; let the armor be a frame.

Or, you know, go fucking crazy. Whichevs.

#3414 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

The art is vivid & colorful; let the armor be a frame.
Or, you know, go fucking crazy. Whichevs.

This game is so bright and vivid I think some powder would really make it pop. Question is-Iced Candy Blue with art blades or full chrome job with mirror blades?-bling bling

#3415 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I completely see that.
If you want to get a Stranger Things machine anyway, why not immediately. It may not be ready fror Primetime but if you want to buy it NIB anyway it won't get cheaper if you wait.

Maybe some people are tired of waiting years for the code to be finished? I’ve owned games that I’ve liked and played the hell out with unfinished code and actually sold them - years later in some cases! - before the code was actually completed. Or, I held out until code was complete but by then, I was pretty much over the game. Probably a symptom of having a small collection.

With so many games to choose from, I’m now electing to wait until code is at or very near completion before buying. Because I don’t want to be tired of the game before it’s actually complete. YMMV.

#3416 4 years ago

I mostly play on location, and get kind of annoyed having to plunk in dollars to play games that are in beta. It's fun to play a few games to get a feel for the shots, but I'm over putting in a lot of money into until they are mostly finished, which is why I mostly play JP currently as it was actually very well fleshed out and coded at release. I wish this was the norm.

#3417 4 years ago

I played it. It’s fun. Leg levelers where about half way out in the rear and we had zero problems getting the ball to plunge deep in the orifice. The one set up a few blocks away I’m told that shot was impossible and the game was at max steepness, so that could be a clue for you forlorn no ballers.

Another fun game. It’s nice and fast and smooth.

Time will tell where it settles in the grand scheme of things.

I really had zero problems with the game. A couple in my party did; they were just repeating Facebook / pinside complaints they’ve seen about “cheapness” and “Plastic.” Kind of feel bad for them as the internet is slowly ruining their enjoyment of pinball.

My best games (over 100 mill) I was avoiding the center completely except for if I had it open by chance or during the lucrative upside down hurry ups. Every other shot is safer so why take the risk? Same way I play Afm. I played 5 or 6 games my best score was 270 mill (the GC. Game been on location only 1 day).

A friend of mine couldn’t resist the center strat and was consistently getting the second demo which is a 2 ball multi. He was getting decent scores but I wasn’t digging that style of play. In all my games I only opened the demo once, I was more focused on all the other shots.

I’d agree the big flat billboard looks a little funny at first glance but when it opens the lighting effect was really cool. I liked all the lighting and the way the game looks. It’s stranger things and has lots of stranger things stuff on it.

I think if you are looking for things to hate about it you’ll have no problem coming up with stuff to hate about it. If you bought it and want to like it, you’ll be really happy with it. It’s fun now, has an excellent presentation, and will get loads better as code matures.

So everybody’s happy!

#3418 4 years ago

What's your opinion on curb appeal vs. Star Wars for location play w/ casuals?

#3419 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am digging the Premium art the best and wondering what powder color would look good? Candy Red, Iced Candy Blue or maybe chrome?[quoted image][quoted image]

Black with some white flakes in it - Upside Down trim!

#3420 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

What's your opinion on curb appeal vs. Star Wars for location play w/ casuals?

It’s easier than Star Wars at first glance so I’d guess more play appeal, but Star Wars is Star Wars and as the awful new movie that made 900 billion shows there’s few things with more appeal.

I can’t say which game is better as I know and like Star Wars with complete code and I’ve played this new game 6 times.

#3421 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Watched the live stream tonight. Square up the shot, right flipper on this game, and you get the kill you deserve.

Not on the one at our local bar. It’s just not possible unless you get some dumb luck.

#3422 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

STTNG doesn’t cover the entire series or even present itself as a storytelling game. The modes are relatively generic. Asteroids, Time Rift, Board the Shuttle, Q...they don’t even use clips from the show...it’s all custom....but, it works. Perfect example of how an entire show’s narrative doesn’t have to be part of a pinball to make a great game of a license. STTNG is a perfect blueprint for a licensed TV show game.

Arguing that a fun pin doesn’t need “everything’ from a movie/series is different than arguing “having Season 3 won’t make STh any better”. The first statement is true, and the last most likely false.

Quoted from Rockytop:

I'd love for STH to have season 3's assets because I love season 3. I don't think it needs to be a great pin, but it would nice. Eddy's vision of basically having a blank canvas and using the projector to "change" the playfield, would be perfect to show Starcourt Mall.

Exactly.

#3423 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Very poor taste and unbelievably ignorant post.

Not unbelievably. This is Pinside.

#3424 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

For video games. That millions of people buy for home use.
Pinball machines aren’t video games. They’re ultra expensive coin-op devices meant for 5 minute plays.

No, they shouldn’t. They should finish these fucking games before releasing them is what they should do.

I know I shouldn’t bother because your like talking to the wall. You know like in Stranger Things time period when video games were coin-op devices meant for 5 minute plays. Shit evolved and now people sit at home and play them for hundreds of hours, how many hours did you play switch this year?

The second point your making, no shit the should release finished code. You continually just post completely unrelated issues like your making a point. I’m not here trying to argue that Stern should follow the DLC conspiracy voiced by the tin foil hat wearers of the internet.

If they dropped additional seasons and modes for The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones as paid content into the run up to Stranger Things they would see both profit on the DLC and an increased sales of Stranger Things. People love to support and feel the are part of a group or community. The more they can contribute or buy in they better they feel.

It’s not just video games, it’s a proven business model. It’s why they drop constant software updates in so many products from Cars, Cell Phones, Televisions. If consumers feel supported they stick with you.

Stern may be stuck in the 1980s but eventually a pinball company will sort this out and they will capture the market.

It will also be very profitable for operators, giving machines on the way down new life or increasing their value as they are sold into household environments.

If the only thing your going to respond with is negativity just save the key strokes. I’m completely cool to agree to disagree.

#3425 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Great review and thanks for taking the time for the write up!
You mentioned it took a while to set up the machine.
Would you mind sharing those details if you could? What pitch did you settle with?

I'm still tweaking it. What's weird is that with the levelers all the way down it's about 6.5/7 which is usually not the case.

For owners, how low or high are you setting the back? Assuming front all low? My center shot is perfect but sometimes that right inner loop doesn't always come back to my left flipper. Not sure if it's supposed to but I would like for it to always be repeatable.... Assuming I hit it!

#3426 4 years ago

Levelers in front all the way in. We settled at back levelers half way out. No matter what we did with the back it didn’t change the demo shot. I didn’t have issues with the burn it back loop at any setup. Usually comes to the left flipper unless is a weird rattling shot that bounces off the ball guide.

#3427 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Levelers in front all the way in. We settled at back levelers half way out. No matter what we did with the back it didn’t change the demo shot. I didn’t have issues with the burn it back loop at any setup. Usually comes to the left flipper unless is a weird rattling shot that bounces off the ball guide.

What angle did that give you? More then 7? I usually do the same and it's 7 or a little less but with this game is reading 7.5

#3428 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Try to match the darker tint of the blue, not lighter.

#3429 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

What angle did that give you? More then 7? I usually do the same and it's 7 or a little less but with this game is reading 7.5

The bubble is just past the top line of the bubble level. We just level and set the pitch manually we don’t have a digital level or anything.

#3430 4 years ago

We setup one yesterday. No problems making shots at all. Did have some oddities with minor ball hangs. One time the game didn't want to release from the hold behind the demo for some reason... eventually did on like 3 rd search. Had a typical hang up on the gate at top right corner.

Played really smooth right out of the box.

Insert edges are clearly seen through the clear. Started seeing some nice pox marks in the middle of the pf within 5 games. My guess is action off those drop targets are going to be hard on the pf

#3431 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I know I shouldn’t bother because your like talking to the wall.

You’re.

Quoted from Darscot:

You know like in Stranger Things time period when video games were coin-op devices meant for 5 minute plays. Shit evolved and now people sit at home and play them for hundreds of hours, how many hours did you play switch this year?

Pinball hasn’t really evolved. It’s inherently retro, and that’s what people like about it. People have been collecting games in their home for decades, and play the same pinball machine for hundreds of hours. That’s the awesomeness of pinball. A great game is forever. If a game is great, it will always be played and enjoyed. It’s 2019 and new MM, AFM, and MB are being made. With the same code.

Quoted from Darscot:

It’s not just video games, it’s a proven business model. It’s why they drop constant software updates in so many products from Cars, Cell Phones, Televisions. If consumers feel supported they stick with you.

I think we’re just talking about two different things. You keep saying “DLC”, which implies PAID. I’ve never paid for a TV or phone update. Those are improvement updates, which is what Stern does now. It is support, and yes it causes customers to stick with them. Agreed. Updates are good. Paid DLC is not something that pinball needs. Look at P3 if you need an example of someone trying to make the pinball universe bend to other products universes. P3 thought pinball needed to be a “platform” with “apps.” In 7 years they’ve sold like 7 units. Pinball is massively different than other electronic consumer products.

Quoted from Darscot:

If the only thing your going to respond with is negativity just save the key strokes.

You’re.

#3432 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Do you have different flipper coils than other STH pins? Might be worth checking.

#3433 4 years ago

Have you guys that are having a hard time getting your balls in the mouth (hehe) tried just simply adjusting the Flipper coil strength +/- in the Settings menu and experiment with that?

#3434 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Have you guys that are having a hard time getting your balls in the mouth (hehe) tried just simply adjusting the Flipper coil strength +/- in the Settings menu and experiment with that?

From what people wrote here, that is not yet an option in the service menu unfortunately. Maybe with .75?

#3435 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You’re.

Pinball hasn’t really evolved. It’s inherently retro, and that’s what people like about it. People have been collecting games in their home for decades, and play the same pinball machine for hundreds of hours. That’s the awesomeness of pinball. A great game is forever. If a game is great, it will always be played and enjoyed. It’s 2019 and new MM, AFM, and MB are being made. With the same code.

I think we’re just talking about two different things. You keep saying “DLC”, which implies PAID. I’ve never paid for a TV or phone update. Those are improvement updates, which is what Stern does now. It is support, and yes it causes customers to stick with them. Agreed. Updates are good. Paid DLC is not something that pinball needs. Look at P3 if you need an example of someone trying to make the pinball universe bend to other products universes. P3 thought pinball needed to be a “platform” with “apps.” In 7 years they’ve sold like 7 units. Pinball is massively different than other electronic consumer products.

You’re.

Some things never change and I just can't be bothered with this anymore. Time to clean up this site a little

#3436 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think the Iced Blue Candy powder with some t-molding to match around back box would look sharp. Also thought it would be interesting if you could do under cabinet lighting that shines the underworld under the machine? I have a rotating green and yellow mystic light under my Ghostbusters that gives off a pretty cool effect.

I think the Iced Blue would look awesome maybe with some chrome t-molding. Looking forward to playing.

#3437 4 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Some things never change and I just can't be bothered with this anymore. Time to clean up this site a little

You leavin’? Maybe you’ll come back when paid Pinball DLC becomes a thing. So....never! Byeeeeee!

#3438 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

LOL
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Clearly the rotation of images is his creation as an illustrator.

#3439 4 years ago

The alleged "secret skillshot", has anyone found it yet? My guess is soft-plunging into the left saucer.

#3440 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The bubble is just past the top line of the bubble level. We just level and set the pitch manually we don’t have a digital level or anything.

Thanks that sounds about right... Above 7. I'll check when I'm back home.

All of a sudden I own all Stern.....

20191231_084716 (resized).jpg20191231_084716 (resized).jpg
#3441 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

The alleged "secret skillshot", has anyone found it yet? My guess is soft-plunging into the left saucer.

Don’t need to plunge it. Can simply short plunge and shoot it. But there might be other skill shots.

#3442 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Correct

#3443 4 years ago
Quoted from DG_Amuse:

... the ball was coming in consistently low and then bouncing around. To fix this I placed some shims (a pop bumper fiber yolk broke in half) under each of the assembly’s feet.

I hate that you have to do very basic tuning like this on NIB. Shouldn't basic play testing verify that the primary shot can be made?

If this has so much variance, shouldn't this mech have been designed in a way that it's mounted and adjustable from below with a screw or something?

Where's that new QA guy?!

#3444 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Where's that new QA guy?!

He’s in the R&M thread waiting for his number.

#3445 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I hate that you have to do very basic tuning like this on NIB. Shouldn't basic play testing verify that the primary shot can be made?

You would think. People keep ignoring the fact that Stern no longer tests & tweaks before releasing these untested and incomplete machines...then act surprised when this stuff happens. I swear, we’re in an era of Pinball Stockholm Syndrome. Buy buy buy! Don’t critique! Don’t demand quality and excellence from your multi thousand dollar luxury purchase!!!

#3446 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Thanks that sounds about right... Above 7. I'll check when I'm back home.
All of a sudden I own all Stern.....[quoted image]

Stern IS the 800lb gorilla...like it or not. Stern is far from perfect, but damn they get awesome themes, make fun snappy pins, and you don’t have to wait forever to get one. I believe people were flipping Stranger Things the same day as the reveal! They are currently an unstoppable machine and if they can improve their QC...wow.

#3447 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Yeah, I think I did it by mistake last night. Have to plunge the ball into the rolling lighted drop and then have it carom into the saucer. It’s tricky to repeat. Have played 40 games now and haven’t done it twice.

#3448 4 years ago

When I watched the first video of play, it felt like I could have been watching Star Trek. At least that's what the play style and ball motion reminded me of. Might have also been the player, and maybe not the best video to judge. Did anyone who's played it and also played a lot of ST get that feeling? Wondering if for me it will be one of those don't-need-2-similar-playing games conclusion.

I need to play it, anyone have it on location around the Seattle area? Don't see it listed on any sites yet.

#3449 4 years ago

Ha, I enjoyed the observation about all the vans. With the overloading of ST abbreviation, maybe we should do the Stern obtuse-but-related name. Let's see...

"Just picked up a new VAN!", ha...

What was the internal Stern codename for this one anyways?

#3450 4 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Ha, I enjoyed the observation about all the vans. With the overloading of ST abbreviation, maybe we should do the Stern obtuse-but-related name. Let's see...
"Just picked up a new VAN!", ha...
What was the internal Stern codename for this one anyways?

Goonies was the codename.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, NY
$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Eastvale, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 69 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/69?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.