IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 144.
#3251 4 years ago
Quoted from zimvsdib:

Hey kids do you like Panel Vans?
Great! because 35% of the game is covered in them. Also energy blasts, don't forget the energy blasts, those are easy to make.
Mic drop.
[quoted image]

I hope you guys like water, It covers 35% of the playfield. Must be a real turd of a game.

Look, congrats you get to save some money and not buy a new machine. Let me tell you, the one thing more valuable than money is time. Why waste yours on creating weak photoshop collages? Stick to saving money AND time

7D4038CC-EE98-440C-8037-150CFD655430 (resized).jpeg7D4038CC-EE98-440C-8037-150CFD655430 (resized).jpeg
#3252 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agree. However in my case I set the game at crazy steep, crazy shallow and everything in between and it still misses high every time.

Maybe you have broken coilstops? I have had them break on new Sterns after 100 games and cause inaccurate flipper function.

#3253 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Agree. However in my case I set the game at crazy steep, crazy shallow and everything in between and it still misses high every time.

The angle of the playfield won’t affect the launch of the ball off the ramp. The ramp angle and target is consistent with and relative to the playfield so moving the playfield angle (while it may slow the ball) will not change the physical angle of the ramp as it relates to the playfield and the target.

You’ll need a different approach..... pun intended.

#3254 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Bit of a straw man. We were talking about people who have never played the pin either tearing it apart or calling it the GOAT and how so many people just latch onto those “reviews” so easily and become part of the rabble.
Most reviews as you’re referring to are from people who actually used the product. There is a difference between conjecture reviews and reviews based on actually using a product.

Not sure what you're talking about, but I specifically meant the feedback from those who have played it both good and bad.

#3255 4 years ago

Free lesson, you shouldn't step unless you're able to back up your criticism. You literally couldn't even figure out how to upload a 72 dpi image.
Clearly being clever isn't your song suit... or art, or technology.

Also why so butt hurt? I'm criticizing the art for good reason with my own professional opinion. I'm a designer and an artist who can see past lazy artwork and graphics. It's always funny to me that wanting something to "be better" is met with this kind of reaction.
Sounds like a lot of inept people I've dealt with in my career, they're impressed by uninspired design and have no creativity themselves which makes them terrible judges at it. If you like garbage that's fine, post about why you want to cream all over it, but be specific or you're just going to make yourself look foolish like you've done here.

Another bonehead move on your "comparison", I didn't mention gameplay.
And for the record I think JP artwork is also lame. Did you like the giant Nedry, and the Tonka truck JP jeep thats altogether wrong?

Enjoy the Panel Vans cgpinhead. May they always haunt you as you play.

#3256 4 years ago
Quoted from zimvsdib:

Lol.

Pinside always delivers.

#3257 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Agree. Worst I've ever seen ever too!
[quoted image]

One sexy mother-funker!!!

C83CCC8A-28A1-458C-AB8A-38425323BAE7 (resized).jpegC83CCC8A-28A1-458C-AB8A-38425323BAE7 (resized).jpeg
#3258 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

The angle of the playfield won’t affect the launch of the ball off the ramp. The ramp angle and target is consistent with and relative to the playfield so moving the playfield angle (while it may slow the ball) will not change the physical angle of the ramp as it relates to the playfield and the target.
You’ll need a different approach..... pun intended.

No.

Kinetic energy in the ball aka speed, therefore it‘s flying angle does change with the steepness of the game.

You wouldn‘t even reach the ramp if you tilt the machine 90 degrees.

#3259 4 years ago
Quoted from zimvsdib:

I just looked at this machine and its probably the worst photoshop bashed art I've ever seen on a game. This could have been something incredible and really took advantage of the 80s esthetic but no, you get the same ole' stock images of the characters we've seen 1000X and a bunch "energy blasts" to fill the negative space.
It's a sorry looking game and ugly AF. Just because you have have video integration you can't just phone in the PF art.
With so few new pins being made I wish it wasn't too much ask for them to have some artistry to them. Another fail here Stern. Just what were you thinking?
Wish they would have called me up before this was finalized, I could make a PF that looked 100X better in 24hrs.
Just sad...

It‘s hand drawn, this guy just draws very realistic; have to see it in person.

That not all the compositions are great if you take those individually crafted art assets and put thrm together is a different thing.

It‘s not ideal if you have to make 3 different art packages from the same pictures.
I likes that Zombie Yeti made comepletely unique cabs and notvreassorted the assets like with GotG.

#3260 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

One sexy mother-funker!!![quoted image]

Stern kind of missed a visual feature by not making the speakers on the LE Demigorgon heads coming through the backpanel grills. A little plastic, some printed mesh screen, it could have looked pretty cool.

#3261 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Stern kind of missed a visual feature by not making the speakers on the LE Demigorgon heads coming through the backpanel grills. A little plastic, some printed mesh screen, it could have looked pretty cool.

Sounds like a great mod.

#3262 4 years ago
Quoted from zimvsdib:

Free lesson, you shouldn't step unless you're able to back up your criticism. You literally couldn't even figure out how to upload a 72 dpi image.
Clearly being clever isn't your song suit... or art, or technology.
Also why so butt hurt? I'm criticizing the art for good reason with my own professional opinion. I'm a designer and an artist who can see past lazy artwork and graphics. It's always funny to me that wanting something to "be better" is met with this kind of reaction.
Sounds like a lot of inept people I've dealt with in my career, they're impressed by uninspired design and have no creativity themselves which makes them terrible judges at it. If you like garbage that's fine, post about why you want to cream all over it, but be specific or you're just going to make yourself look foolish like you've done here.
Another bonehead move on your "comparison", I didn't mention gameplay.
And for the record I think JP artwork is also lame. Did you like the giant Nedry, and the Tonka truck JP jeep thats altogether wrong?

Well since the professional artist says it’s garbage I guess I’m out on this game.

iM A pRuFesSAnAl

#3263 4 years ago

you know what? Im with you and ill prolly sell my JPLE now cause i can’t unsee 35% water.

#3264 4 years ago

Damnit after 3000 posts I haven't had quite enough people giving me my opinion on this game, am I going to be forced to make my own opinion here or something?! Especially the ones that have never seen or played one in person but are experts on everything about it, those are the ones that really control my thoughts.
Step it up trolls before my game gets here and I might have to actually play a pinball instead of sit on a computer and rant about it.

#3265 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

before my game gets here

Congrats on the game-now sell me your JP LE for $7500

#3266 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Congrats on the game-now sell me your JP LE for $7500

No unfortunately the sentiment on this game is positive on here so my opinion has been given that it is good.

#3267 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

No unfortunately the sentiment on this game is positive

JP is a turd and you need to sell it to me for a good price

Jedi mind trick..gifJedi mind trick..gif
#3268 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I feel they really played to their strengths and avoided the pitfalls (like people) so I didn't feel like I was playing Dreamcast Crazy Taxi!

*quickly checks Dreamcast*

Aww man... (resized).jpgAww man... (resized).jpg

Groan.gifGroan.gif

#3269 4 years ago

Is there any chance of Stern getting the season 3 video assets in some future code release? The mall in season was such an incredible setting for 80’s nostalgia.

Just curious if the game is locked in on season 1 and 2 from an assets perspective or if season 3 is coming later.

#3270 4 years ago
Quoted from cudabee:

Maybe you have broken coilstops? I have had them break on new Sterns after 100 games and cause inaccurate flipper function.

Stops are good.

#3271 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is there any chance of Stern getting the season 3 video assets in some future code release? The mall in season was such an incredible setting for 80’s nostalgia.
Just curious if the game is locked in on season 1 and 2 from an assets perspective or if season 3 is coming later.

Spike 2 is setup to handle stuff like this, but the playfield inserts lead me to believe no season 3. But anything is possible.

#3272 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Is there any chance of Stern getting the season 3 video assets in some future code release?

Absolutely 0%

#3273 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Absolutely 0%

Agreed. They have already negotiated the terms of the license agreement and assets they would have access to. It is done.

#3274 4 years ago

Heading to my distributor Thursday to play a few games on the pro.

#3275 4 years ago

Stranger Things Deep Dive!!

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/stranger-things-deep-dive-in-depth-overview-of-the-machine-features-rules-and-more/

Overview | Price | Who’s Who | Features | Rules and Code

80395037_10158027885129244_2801938339224092672_o (resized).jpg80395037_10158027885129244_2801938339224092672_o (resized).jpg
#3276 4 years ago

So I played Stranger things late last night and the code is as mature as half the lame narrassitic negative perspectives in this forum but it's fun. Future code will make this game better. Is playfield bare compared to JP2, yes. Do I like JP2 no.The Hawkins lab screen/ramp takes up a lot of eye real estate and you'll have to train yourself to not constantly aim for center to get anywhere in the game. I see where chuck is having difficulty on that machine hitting the open mouth of the demogorgon (as I played that machine) I find aiming toward the open mouth flaps guides the ball in his mouth better than a straight center shot miss. It definitely takes patience but it pays off, too easy gets old and yall hate that it seems. The virtual ball lock is standard up post on left ramp but the multi ball is fun. Couldn't hear much in barcade as volume is always turned down on pins and loud unwanted music in background, what I did hear will get better not a ton of witty comments or commands right now (early code ). A lot of purple lightstheme which I think they missed a huge opportunity here with no RGB GI lighting like star wars. Having better lighting options (not pin stadium) like Christmas lights colored blinking randomly like in the show would have been awesome. Too bad stern rushes it maybe they will make it up on premium projections with future updates. The left orbit to right ramp return shot is satisfying. The shots are not clunky but awkward, I have a BKSOR in which it punishes you for wrong trajectories when flipping it, high risk high reward hence why the love hate relationship w the game and some players. The same can be said for STH, the 4 drop targets dead center and yes I'm talking to you the second drop target to SDTM drain can be infuriating. The left side kickout to center area doesn't work well when the ramp is down too. The right orbit return from the bumpers doesn't line up with the right flipper making it random chaos into the slingshots and send it quickly draining down far left exit lane. The art is good not shopped. A lot of inserts await the code as many side missions with multiple wizards modes to come. Overall its early 1 week to be exact people. This will be around and made better over the next year but .64 code is young and it shows. My advice go out and play it then come back and talk.

#3277 4 years ago

Thanks for the write up Mike! I’ll have you and Tess over once my LE arrives if you want to see the other features!

#3278 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

It‘s hand drawn, this guy just draws very realistic; have to see it in person.
That not all the compositions are great if you take those individually crafted art assets and put thrm together is a different thing.
It‘s not ideal if you have to make 3 different art packages from the same pictures.
I likes that Zombie Yeti made comepletely unique cabs and notvreassorted the assets like with GotG.

Is it hand drawn illustration like Christopher Franchi creates? Or is it Wacom pen PhotoShop paintover effect like this:

#3279 4 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Good review indeed. But ery’body knows it’s only gonna last 3-5 months and he will be selling it.

Delt is like me, sells games often unless they are truly exceptional. Nothing wrong with that. I just sold my JP premium, does that mean the game sucks?

#3280 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Delt is like me, sells games often unless they are truly exceptional. Nothing wrong with that. I just sold my JP premium, does that mean the game sucks?

And I’m on the fence on selling my JP prem for a STh pro.....JP is great, just a little too difficult for guests and family. Can’t afford 2 right now.

#3281 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Not sure what you're talking about, but I specifically meant the feedback from those who have played it both good and bad.

Then I’m not sure why you quoted me in your first post. No one was questioning feedback based upon reviews of people who actually played it.

#3282 4 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

No.
Kinetic energy in the ball aka speed, therefore it‘s flying angle does change with the steepness of the game.
You wouldn‘t even reach the ramp if you tilt the machine 90 degrees.

Re-read what I said. I did mention that the angle will slow the ball down. If you want to truly change the trajectory of the ball (and the launch angle) you will need to extend the hypotenuse of the right triangle that forms the ramp.

I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.

#3283 4 years ago
Quoted from zimvsdib:

I just looked at this machine and its probably the worst photoshop bashed art I've ever seen on a game.

Have you seen 24? Elvis? Almost every Stern before Metallica? STh is at least painted over...looks like an 80’s poster...decently appealing for the theme. During Stern’s truly “Photoshop era”, they were just flat out dropping photos on the playfield.

Quoted from jonesjb:

Is it hand drawn illustration like Christopher Franchi creates? Or is it Wacom pen PhotoShop paintover effect like this:

You don’t think Franchi is using a Wacom & Photoshop & painting over? Okaaaaaay.

#3284 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You don’t think Franchi is using a Wacom & Photoshop & painting over? Okaaaaaay.

If I remember right his process explained in his pod cast is quite elaborate.
Me, being a peasant, I can only tell you if I like what I see or not but not the reasons and have no idea what could have been done different to get other effects.

#3285 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Definitely not. It's very likely Franchi uses a Wacom as part of his process, but he is not painting over. As I understand, his art is his creation as an illustrator.

#3286 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Definitely not. It's very likely Franchi uses a Wacom as part of his process, but he is not painting over. As I understand, his art is his creation as an illustrator.

End results is what matter really. Don't care if it's a snapchat filter if it provides the desired result.

#3287 4 years ago

I have to admit, the more I look at vids, the more I like it. The key will be the projector. That could be next level. That could be make or break.

Those trying to nail the Demogorgon consistently, you do realize that when you raise the pitch of the Playfield, the toy raises with it, right?

#3288 4 years ago
Quoted from Cgpinhead:

I hope you guys like water, It covers 35% of the playfield. Must be a real turd of a game.
Look, congrats you get to save some money and not buy a new machine. Let me tell you, the one thing more valuable than money is time. Why waste yours on creating weak photoshop collages? Stick to saving money AND time[quoted image]

Do you seriously just drop JP2 as an example of good. I love the original but the playfield on it is hideous. Stern kinda following the art style of the original is the worst thing about the new pin. The guy shared an objective opinion and backed up his point with evidence, people need to chill out with the protect the hive bullshit. Stern has gone backwards with the art on this one and it could have been much better. It’s hard to deny it looks a little clown puked.

#3289 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Don't forget how weird these games will look after Season 4+, new actors, grown up actors, new threats and we're not even in Hawkins anymore. The upside down will most likely be around still.

#3290 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Don't forget how weird these games will look after Season 4+, new actors, grown up actors, new threats and we're not even in Hawkins anymore. The upside down will most likely be around still.

It doesn’t matter. A pinball machine isn’t a DVD box set, it’s a game. If it’s based on a TV show, it just needs enough iconic characters & scenarios to create a solid game out of. Simpsons, Sopranos, 24, CSI, Family Guy, Game of Thrones, Walking Dead ....none of them contain the entire narrative of the series, and that’s OK. 2 seasons of Stranger Things has more content to make a game out of than the LOTR trilogy. Most people play a game of pinball for 3-5 minutes. 2 seasons worth of characters and events are enough for a pinball game’s path of objectives and narrative.

#3291 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I have to admit, the more I look at vids, the more I like it. The key will be the projector. That could be next level. That could be make or break.
Those trying to nail the Demogorgon consistently, you do realize that when you raise the pitch of the Playfield, the toy raises with it, right?

Yep. Just trying anything and hoping to get lucky.

#3292 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Re-read what I said. I did mention that the angle will slow the ball down. If you want to truly change the trajectory of the ball (and the launch angle) you will need to extend the hypotenuse of the right triangle that forms the ramp.
I can explain it to you, but I can’t understand it for you.

The slower the ball, the lower it will hit on the demogorgen. The higher the speed the higher it will hit on the demogorgen. All other things being equal if the ramp, PF, and demogorgen all go up/down with the PF pitch, that's the net result. Not sure why it's turning into some weird discussion point.

#3293 4 years ago

It's got to be a setup issue. I played with a Pinsider friend yesterday. We were hitting the demogorgan easily. Usually on the first or second attempt.

#3294 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

It's got to be a setup issue

If it is a setup issue then then need to get the QC in check. Seems to be a wide spectrum. I have played three now and all three are similarly on the tough side of the spectrum.

#3295 4 years ago

Flipper power?

#3296 4 years ago
Quoted from dri:

Yeah. There's a good number of pins based on TV shows that are missing around half of the content from the show as the game is released while the show is halfway through its run. TWD, GOT, and now Stranger Things all feel incomplete as the code ends up telling the themes beginning, a middle, and...that's it. It's bummer from an objective ruleset perspective as there's no real end of the theme to reach, and certain events like you said end up missing from modes. I'm sure this is done on purpose to rack up sales while the shows popularity is still high.

#3297 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah. There's a good number of pins based on TV shows that are missing around half of the content from the show as the game is released while the show is halfway through its run. TWD, GOT, and now Stranger Things all feel incomplete as the code ends up telling the themes beginning, a middle, and...that's it. It's bummer from an objective ruleset perspective as there's no real end of the theme to reach, and certain events like you said end up missing from modes. I'm sure this is done on purpose to rack up sales while the shows popularity is still high.

How long before someone superglues season 3 and 4 action figures to the plastics and want to charge more the “the mods”.

#3298 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You fundamentally don’t understand pinball game design and what matters. No one is expecting 40 hours of programming & storytelling distilled into a 5 minute pinball game.

#3299 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah. There's a good number of pins based on TV shows that are missing around half of the content from the show as the game is released while the show is halfway through its run....GOT,

Yes I'm sure we're all clambering for that universally loved ending to GOT!
(today I learned clambering is spelled with a b!)

#3300 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You fundamentally don’t understand pinball game design and what matters. No one is expecting 40 hours of programming & storytelling distilled into a 5 minute pinball game.

What matters to some players is having a themes full story covered especially when it's going to be filled with a dozen + modes and cost $6k-$9k+. I guess any pinball designer who created a pin based off of a trilogy didn't know what the hell they were doing. LOTR would have been better if it covered just the first 2 films and that's it right? Batman 66 should have covered just the first season too! Stern Star Wars? Might as well have created modes just for Empire Strikes Back and been done with it.

Also, you fundamentally don't understand pinball game design if you believe less then 40 hours of programming goes into these games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toppers
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Commack, NY
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 39.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Vaughan, ON
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/66 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.