IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 144.
#3101 4 years ago

I went in on a ST Premium.

I’m in no rush to get it.

Still not really sure where I’m gonna put it. I need to make room.

#3102 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If Stern went back and finished WoF just to shut people up and take away an easy point to score in the code wars, I would have to hand it to them. It would be an epic troll.

Hey, I have WoF to thank for teaching me the lesson NEVER to buy any games from Stern (or any other pinball manufacturer) based on promises, plans, expectations or the like. I only purchase after I have seen the final product.

#3103 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

With the FOMO behind Rick and Morty, I think Stern rushed the release of Stranger Things...feeling their dominance was threatened. This may have been a huge misstep.

Wonder if it was purely released to catch the Xmas feel good factor?

All those families who like and watch Stranger Things together.

'Hey kids would you like a Stranger Things pinball? '

As opposed to January.

'Hey kids, we spent too much over Xmas'!

#3104 4 years ago
Quoted from dashv:

I went in on a ST Premium.
I’m in no rush to get it.
Still not really sure where I’m gonna put it. I need to make room.

If in no rush, why order it now? It’s a Premium. You could get it whenever over the next 3 years while Stern has the license.

#3105 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If in no rush, why order it now? It’s a Premium. You could get it whenever over the next 3 years while Stern has the license.

Because he simply wants to have it fast and has the money to do so

#3106 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Because he is in a rush.... for a premium.

#3107 4 years ago
Quoted from Genjuro:

See image.[quoted image]

what are we looking at here?

my imagination is running wild

#3108 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A better question is why would anybody think they won’t eventually release a finished product? They always do.

They do not always finish their games, my CSI was absolutely incomplete and a general mess code wise and the reason I sold it. Stern has abandoned games before from a perspective of code.

That said, Stern’s coding over the last few years has been nothing short of absolutely spectacular. The chances of a major license like Stranger Things not getting a full code implementation seems rather remote. Still, Lyman is not coding this game and that does give me pause as he does code the “funnest” games in my opinion.

#3109 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Stern’s coding over the last few years has been nothing short of absolutely spectacular.

I wouldn't call The Munsters code spectacular.

#3110 4 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

Others would. What’s your point?

#3111 4 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

No it isn’t. It was ‘Sullivan-ized’. Lonnie is no better.

#3112 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They are pros and are dedicated to greatness. They’ll finish the product like they always do.
A better question is why would anybody think they won’t eventually release a finished product? They always do.
I shit you not, I hear even a WWE code update is in the pipeline.

Yeah, I hear ya there. I can't really hammer Stern about code anymore, not after how they choose to finish Ghostbusters code. Yes it took nearly 3 years but not only did they deliver a final update they delivered a massive code update that added a ton to the game. Hell, they even added a bunch of additional topper effects to the game which never happens.

What I would be more concerned with is not if Stranger Things code will he completed but how well it will be completed. You can have 10, 20, 30, etc modes in a game but none of that matters if the mode choreography isn't there. Telekinesis Multiball is a good example of a mode with a severe lack of choreography. A lack of mode choreography seems to be the main complaint against Munsters. In the end some Stern games still end up recieving better code support then others.

#3113 4 years ago

How can anybody judge this game on .64 code? Is the true question; it’s unfair to the design team that puts all their hard efforts into the game.

#3114 4 years ago
Quoted from DG_Amuse:

I had a similar issue and it was the one-way gate just to the left of the demogorgon. It came loose on one end and actually jammed the center ramp mech too.

Same. Appears that gate was cut too short on the end that goes through the bracket.

#3115 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

That said, Stern’s coding over the last few years has been nothing short of absolutely spectacular.

This is sarcasm, correct?

#3116 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

How can anybody judge this game on .64 code? Is the true question; it’s unfair to the design team that puts all their hard efforts into the game.

Because Stern released the game with .64 code - unfair to the design team perhaps, but that’s Sterns fault, not ours.

#3117 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

No it isn’t. It was ‘Sullivan-ized’.

Meaning?

#3118 4 years ago

I don't get this either. Dwight games in general have been fantastic. Cool strategy and high energy choreography. With Munsters, I believe Gomez gave poor direction on this. He told Dwight to make a simple game and didn't let Dwight be Dwight. Munsters will get an update soon that will make folks happy.

#3119 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

They do not always finish their games, my CSI was absolutely incomplete and a general mess code wise and the reason I sold it. Stern has abandoned games before from a perspective of code.
That said, Stern’s coding over the last few years has been nothing short of absolutely spectacular. The chances of a major license like Stranger Things not getting a full code implementation seems rather remote. Still, Lyman is not coding this game and that does give me pause as he does code the “funnest” games in my opinion.

Can you imagine if Lyman coded this game?

One of my favorite show-inspired licensed games of all time, TWD, is a coding and rules masterpiece in my opinion.

Combined with the brutal layout and design by Borg, I truly think they could have done an amazing job with the Stranger Things license.

Imagine if Stranger Things had the features of TWD.

Better yet, imagine if TWD had the features of Stranger Things. What if TWD simply had a large screen with a projector playing video clips, a ramp comes down, and you have to make it into a zombies mouth? And that was the main "feature".

Well, I think we can all agree that would be pretty lackluster.

Now, what if Stranger Things had TWD features? I don't need to list them all... You can picture how loaded that layout is. Combined with Lyman code, Stranger Things was really a prime candidate for another Borg/Lyman "dream team theme"

Oh well. It is what it is.

#3120 4 years ago

Just rewatched all seasons this weekend and it would have been cool to have that magnet lock maybe somewhere else and instead have pinballs coming out the backboard like the Demogorgons come out of the walls that would have been sweet!

#3121 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I don't get this either. Dwight games in general have been fantastic. Cool strategy and high energy choreography. With Munsters, I believe Gomez gave poor direction on this. He told Dwight to make a simple game and didn't let Dwight be Dwight. Munsters will get an update soon that will make folks happy.

Munsters is a Borg game.

Munsters is intentionally and as communicated beforehand more „T2 simple“ after people (including myself) shat on Star Wars Code being way too complicated.

So the only lesson (noone) learned:
Be careful what you wish for.

(For me I prefer Munsters over Star Wars codewise, so I‘m happy.)

What all this has to do with Lonnie, I have no clue.

#3122 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I agree that Dwight is a great rules designer. Some of his games are my favorite, GOT for example. But he was a guest on the 24 hour stream that SpecialWhenLit did and he said again that there a NO plans for a Munster's code update. He went on to say that if there was one it would be several months out, but followed that up with "but it's not gonna happen". I really think his hands are tied on this one.

#3123 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I agree that Dwight is a great rules designer. Some of his games are my favorite, GOT for example. But he was a guest on the 24 hour stream that SpecialWhenLit did and he said again that there a NO plans for a Munster's code update. He went on to say that if there was one it would be several months out, but followed that up with "but it's not gonna happen". I really think his hands are tied on this one.

I think it‘s just done as intended,... wich is what they‘re saying.

#3124 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

what are we looking at here?
my imagination is running wild

Hs ha looks like a plastic steak.

#3125 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Thats too bad. I am trying to find the the post where I saw it mentioned by someone usually "in the know". Guess it doesn't matter if Dwight himself already said no. Well, he didn't really say yes to Ghostbusters either until much later in the game so....

#3126 4 years ago

Stern needs to keep the lines running. Elvira was a sales disappointment, so the next game in the queue gets shoved out the door, ready or not. We've seen it many times before. Gotg comes to mind. That was an end of the year release too, wasn't it?

Feels like they're dumping this one...

#3127 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Stern needs to keep the lines running. Elvira was a sales disappointment, so the next game in the queue gets shoved out the door, ready or not. We've seen it many times before. Gotg comes to mind. That was an end of the year release too, wasn't it?
Feels like they're dumping this one...

I don't think so. The 12/23 launch date was planned for a long time. I bet part of it was to crank out some additional sales volume before the year end.

#3128 4 years ago

Dwight Sullivan does quite a bit of shallow coding. I had this debate in the Munsters thread when it was announced. Wasn’t proven wrong.

He’s no Mr. Sheats, that’s beyond dispute.

#3129 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The 12/23 launch date was planned for a long time.

Yes Gary and the executives have set schedules for releases and designers must have a working game by then. What they do not have is decent code at launch for most titles,that is what feels rushed to me. I know they are scrambling right now to get code updated for Premium/LE projector,etc. They probably had like 3 static repeating images done and knew if they released it pre-maturely it would not be taken well. Batman 66 was the worse followed closely by GOTG. Having deadlines is great to keep up with sales projections but horrible for the design team having to try and code last minute.

#3130 4 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

How in the h&$)#! Did this pass beta testing in the field?

You’re joking right?

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I DONT KNOW MAN?!?!? We should burn stern to the ground for this.

This and all the other borked shit Stern has released without proper testing: Black Widow ramp, Hulk mech (and general view problems) on Avengers, Katana Ramp On DP, Gene Head on Kiss, SW Death Star shot (and inner loop on pro), The spinning disc on X-Men, the Canon on ACDC (and drops), Sarcophagus on Iron Maiden, Turntable on BM66, Orbit in GoT, Ghostbusters (Lol)...

And that’s just off the top of my head. But Stern is so solid on everything else (general quality of materials and workmanship. “Fit and finish” if you will, that it’s pretty hard to fault Stern for a few borked mechs.

#3131 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Dwight Sullivan does quite a bit of shallow coding. I had this debate in the Munsters thread when it was announced. Wasn’t proven wrong.

Shallow coding? Have you played GOT or SW?

My tutorial for GOT is 10 hours long. Haha

#3132 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

When given the opportunity and time, Dwight can code some very deep rulesets. GOT comes to mind... That ruleset is so deep it's insane. Star Wars is super deep and complicated as well.

#3133 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Play Game of Thrones and Star Wars. Not shallow. George Gomez told him to make Munsters shallow, which was a mistake. Dwight mentioned this direction in interviews. Back to the Lonnie show...

#3134 4 years ago

Played the game last night and had a fun time with everything but the demogorgon which was impossible to get to eat the ball (huge fail there). I'll definitely play it more as there are a lot of other things you can still progress through.... and as of now I still have the one more game feeling since I want to progress through the modes and games.

Definitely seems like the game needs to have adjustments for positioning of the demogorgon to make the shot makeable... or else adjustments to the ramp. Very unfortunate the game isn't shipping with that being a makeable shot... or with the demogorgon designed to be much more forgivable.

ALSO... even if they "fix" this with code (multiple hits kill vs requiring a feed) it is still a huge fail if the player can't purposefully "feed" the demogorgon. It would be like being able to open the saucer in AFM but then never able to hit the drop in the back so you can get the explosion... ugh.

#3135 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

While I agree it’s not necessarily fair to the design team, once any product goes to market for consumers any judging of said product becomes fair game.

#3136 4 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Definitely seems like the game needs to have adjustments for positioning of the demogorgon to make the shot makeable

Wow I keep hearing how hard it is to hit and I felt it was too easy to hit? I was successful from cradle on right flipper and shooting right before ball hit center of flipper. Maybe the machine was set up right or I was just lucky?

Reminds me of all the people complaining about how right ramp on Ghostbusters is impossible. I literally have never had an issue with hitting it? Machine not set up properly, luck, or just aiming right?

#3137 4 years ago
Quoted from jimwe5t:

...as Ricky Nelson’s penned in one of his most famous songs, “if singing oldies are all it’s about, I’d rather drive a truck.” Think pinball is somewhat that way too. Can’t we reach for better than 25 years ago and are doing better? Even the designers of 25 years ago think we can and are doing much better. Heard George Gomez remark that he can’t believe MB is still up there. Kieth Elwins first 2 layouts, game rules and depth of code are simply superior in every way to the oldie goldies. If it isn’t why don’t we call it quits in pinball right now? The oldies are still fun, but imo, don’t hold a candle to modern day, Stern’s, JJP’s, AP’s and Spooky titles coming out now. It shows how out of whack Pinside top 100 ratings have become. It is nothing more than a popularity contest. Don’t you think the modern day games should all be ranked much higher? They are simply higher tech and design in every way than the old machines of long ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/jimwe5t/ratings/comments

Your ratings are a joke. You’re entitled to your opinion, but your ratings suggest you have an agenda and want to prove a point, rather than properly rate these classic games.

#3138 4 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Star Wars and GOT are far from shallow overall, but they’re unbalanced enough to where one could completely ignore different parts of the code options in the game and still blow up in the tens of billions. Haven’t had much time on new Ghostbusters to comment.

#3139 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Your ratings are a joke. You’re entitled to your opinion, but your ratings suggest you have an agenda and want to prove a point, rather than properly rate these classic games.

Agree. It’s a copy/paste smear job.
Sad way to spend time.

#3140 4 years ago

Time to flag all of those.

#3141 4 years ago

Lol, all he did was copy/paste. AFM and MM are 1 and 2 for a reason. I agree in general that the new ones are better than the oldies, but MM and AFM are the best ever.

#3142 4 years ago

7ae9022a40328de7907060acf3375d8f (resized).jpg7ae9022a40328de7907060acf3375d8f (resized).jpg
#3143 4 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Dialed in is awesome and a fresh take. Many of my favorite pins have "no theme." I feel the curmudgeons in the hobby are too scared of it because it is a new theme. I honestly don't get why people don like that machine.

Speaking as a true pinhead, for me Dialed In just has this dorky vibe that I can’t shake. Part of it is the Lawler design aesthetic. Not his shots, but his artistic choices. Like the lightening bolt guy, and the chick in the back right corner, and Mr. McMomJeans. These “characters” remind me of a lame children’s TV show. Combined with a vaguely uninspiring theme, it just doesn’t call to me like so many other games do.

A friend of mine owns one, so I do get to play it. Shots are amazing, and I dig some of the true innovation. The rules are terrific. From a substantive perspective, there’s nothing NOT to like about the game (er, actually the callouts are below average), but it’s still a miss for me. That said, if they start selling in the low 6’s, almost have to buy one for the sheer value at that point.

Stern definitely has amazing themes. I’m in their target demo, and aside from an occasional “yawn”, I could own most of their games from a theming standpoint.

Stranger Things is a grand slam theme. I sincerely hope they do it justice. My first glimpse of the Pro suggests they have not. But it’s early yet.

#3144 4 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Because it’s being sold for $6k-$9k. It’s open to judgement as an allegedly complete consumer product available for sale.

#3145 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wow I keep hearing how hard it is to hit and I felt it was too easy to hit? I was successful from cradle on right flipper and shooting right before ball hit center of flipper. Maybe the machine was set up right or I was just lucky?
Reminds me of all the people complaining about how right ramp on Ghostbusters is impossible. I literally have never had an issue with hitting it? Machine not set up properly, luck, or just aiming right?

Like I stated in an earlier post, through 40 games and literally hundreds of shots at it, a friend and I yesterday had 5 shots actually go in the mouth. A success rate hovering around 1%-2%. On one ball alone we counted 17 unsuccessful shots in a row by me, all from a trap on either flipper. Two skilled players, playing at a location that sets up and maintains games in a meticulous manner that would make most people jealous. I'm not saying all games are like this, but it is my only experience so far, so that is all I can attest to.

#3146 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I didn’t realize you fixed GOTG! The lack of tunes is why I didn’t buy that game
TWD is a Cleland masterpiece!

My brother just bought Guardians for his family for Christmas. I probably put 100 games on that thing in 3 days! And that’s competing with 17 other people for game time. I really like the game. It’s not as “thematically” integrated as WellDoneZero would prefer but it really doesn’t matter with this game. And neither do the voices, which sound fine to me. And Cleland worked his magic as well, so that’s there too.

Frankly, I loved the GoTG movies. Laughed my ass off and just had a blast with them. But I couldn’t tell you the plot. Don’t remember much to be honest. Pure popcorn, ya know? So why should I care if the pin nails every last detail? Now, with some themes I DO care (Stranger Things being an example. Alien another)! But not with Guardians. It’s a freaking blast to play and highly challenging. And if you’ve ever seen an LE, it’s just drop dead gorgeous and the light show is outstanding.

#3147 4 years ago

I had the opportunity to play STs recently. I have to admit that I don't watch the show so maybe I'm missing something.

I thought the game had a reasonable art package and the lights were very good. The game play is pretty much a fan layout so nothing new there. The game I played did not have a projector but I don't think it would have made a lot of difference to gameplay. Central monster bash toy with ramp seemed like the bastard child of Iron Maiden and TWD.

Overall (IMHO) I think the game is solid enough if you like the theme and lack a fan layout game. I don't see this game in my collection anytime soon, or ever.

#3148 4 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

Like I stated in an earlier post, through 40 games and literally hundreds of shots at it, a friend and I yesterday had 5 shots actually go in the mouth. A success rate hovering around 1%-2%. On one ball alone we counted 17 unsuccessful shots in a row by me, all from a trap on either flipper. Two skilled players, playing at a location that sets up and maintains games in a meticulous manner that would make most people jealous. I'm not saying all games are like this, but it is my only experience so far, so that is all I can attest to.

Is the shot like this?

#3149 4 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

Like I stated in an earlier post, through 40 games and literally hundreds of shots at it, a friend and I yesterday had 5 shots actually go in the mouth. A success rate hovering around 1%-2%.

As my Spiderman game says: "Play better!"

#3150 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Same reason I bought Munsters while others are waiting on the sidelines for a code update.

I’m ready to play it when Stern thinks it’s playable.

If it gets better, it gets better.

Brian Eddy generally does good work.

Also I’ve learned with ghostbusters that waiting until everyone loves it (after the latest code update) can put you in a situation where the ones you want are all bought up and things like the special toppers, etc. become impossible to find.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newtown, CT
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

8,099 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/63 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.