IMG_20190717_220948 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190717_220954 (resized).jpg
AFDBA2A3-9D66-48DF-ABFB-20E949584059 (resized).jpeg
A8A8DCF1-F262-4720-9C7C-7745B927623E (resized).jpeg
F4289DEC-87E3-436A-B7F0-0CB587E5C665 (resized).jpeg
1EFCA4FA-B81B-4A9B-8138-89165106D00A (resized).jpeg
6D282117-CA93-4FB6-B13F-637DE782967B (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 144.
#2751 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The demon thing is pretty tough to hit. Game currently at 7.2 degrees. I may need to change that down a bit?
Either way the tolerance for that shot is very tight/tough. Wish the actual sculpt had a secondary switch to resister shots that dont make it in the hole.
Would be much better if the game could register 'damage' and kill shots.

Check to see if you are running the latest code, because on deadflips stream the game did indeed register shots to the demigorgan that hit but did not go into the mouth.

#2752 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Yeah but you remember how bad the playfields on Shadows became in that Sanctum area. Then you'd have Pinside going crazy about how they shouldn't have had that feature because of playfield issues. Can't ever make anyone happy lol

People are much more familiar with mylar and cling plastic these days...oh...and not routed...

#2753 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep that's my only problem with the current layout. Wish a ramp lifted to reveal a full orbit.

Agreed.

One good thing about the design is that it will be a good place to park a ball in multiball. I hope they code a certain number of pop bumber hits to qualify a super jackpot or something like that (like CFTBL) that will make the pops more relevant.

#2754 4 years ago
Quoted from Kharris:

Check to see if you are running the latest code, because on deadflips stream the game did indeed register shots to the demigorgan that hit but did not go into the mouth.

Just saw this in action at about the 40 minute mark....creature is definitely a bash toy as well.

#2755 4 years ago
Quoted from Globalcop:

Imagine if there were HD cameras under the playfield, tracking the ball as it traverses the subway, displaying the ball under the pf up onto the LCD screen. A user activated diverter could be switched with the player paying close attn to the ball under the table by watching the LCD.

I was thinking that very thing just now as well...what are the odds of that?!?

#2756 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Almost all the games I’ve bought/sold over the years were from watching YouTube gameplay videos. I know after a few minutes if it will be a game I entertain owning. You don’t have to play it first to know.

I have purchased a few just from videos, few regrets doing so.

#2757 4 years ago
Quoted from drained:

I really wanted to see magna style saves on in both of the outlanes and even the center drain.. would of been an emersive moment being saved by 11's powers in a Multiball.

Magna saves do not work effectively during multi ball. The balls stick together and one or both drain. Ask anybody who’s played a lot of Black Knight 3 and thought they were being cute.

#2758 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Almost all the games I’ve bought/sold over the years were from watching YouTube gameplay videos. I know after a few minutes if it will be a game I entertain owning. You don’t have to play it first to know.

Buying games I’ve never played before is way more fun than playing games I’ve put a lot
Of time in. What’s better for home use than a new game?

#2759 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Magna saves do not work effectively during multi ball. The balls stick together and one or both drain. Ask anybody who’s played a lot of Black Knight 3 and thought they were being cute.

The WCS one works pretty good in MB. I use it from time to time to bring two balls to a trap.

#2760 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The WCS one works pretty good in MB. I use it from time to time to bring two balls to a trap.

Ha never thought to try that. And people say it’s absolutely useless!

#2761 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ha never thought to try that. And people say it’s absolutely useless!

People are stupid.

Also I like to use it for a ball about to run off the tip of the flipper so that I have a good clean trap for a shot on final draw.

#2762 4 years ago

I’ve watched bits of the stream here and there, keep getting interrupted by various visitors through the holidays, so would someone mind telling me where the shot just got the left of the drops goes?

The shot to the right of the drops that gives you the fast loop to the left orbit looks sweet. And does the game have a diverter or up/down ramp to allow right orbit shots to make a full loop back out the left orbit?

#2763 4 years ago

I believe the left of the drops goes in a saucer and gets kicked out to the left lane a la MM
Edit at least at times it does.

#2764 4 years ago

Yeah the left of the drops hits a stand-up target and feeds out to the left orbit.

There's no diverter or up-down ramp, right orbit shots go into the pop bumpers and then feed right back out from right orbit.

#2765 4 years ago

Overall the game flows very well except for the right orbit. Wish it was a full orbit with a ramp that lifted but it cld be a nice place to put some balls during mb to allow u to concentrate on jackpots. I suppose u cld also disable the up posts at the mystery shot so it dont stop the ball for all the central shots but it's nice to have a few second break at times. Overall I like the shot layout and 4 ramps. Can't wait to c more premium gameplay and how it plays with the different ball locks and bash toy.... and especially the projector stuff. I just went back and binge watched season 1 and 2 of stranger things.. so good and I hope code updates really add a ton more in the future.

#2766 4 years ago

Left of the drops. Think ACDC pro bell shot. Straight back to a standup. Then a one way gate halfway back feeds the up post that kicks the ball tp the left orbit. I thought that was a saucer at first, but it’s an up post.

#2767 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I just went back and binge watched season 1 and 2 of stranger things.. so good and I hope code updates really add a ton more in the future.

Im re-watching both right now myself after seeing some of the stream to refresh my memory. I remember thinking season 2 was terrible when i first watched, but after a re-watch (and watching right after finishing season 1) i think its really good now.

#2768 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Im re-watching both right now myself after seeing some of the stream to refresh my memory. I remember thinking season 2 was terrible when i first watched, but after a re-watch (and watching right after finishing season 1) i think its really good now.

It truly is a great show. Tons of 80s references and awesome characters. Killer storyline.

Personally I found season 3 really tie it all in together and solidify it as one of my favorite shows ever. Everyone I've talked to feels the same, although I've heard some disagree with me on that. It's really just one of the best shows that's came out in the last several years IMO.

#2769 4 years ago

Played Stranger Things today was a bit disappointed game played smooth fan layout. Was a bit disappointed with the demogorgon toy played a bunch of games never could really get it in the mouth not sure why could be a simple adjustment. Overall demigorgan shot did not feel satisfying even though it looked cool. Code is decent early which we all know has some bugs that need worked out.

#2770 4 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

Played Stranger Things today was a bit disappointed game played smooth fan layout. Was a bit disappointed with the demogorgon toy played a bunch of games never could really get it in the mouth not sure why could be a simple adjustment. Overall demigorgan shot did not feel satisfying even though it looked cool. Code is decent early which we all know has some bugs that need worked out.

I haven't played it yet but have talked to several friends that have and the consensus seems to be that they really like how it shoots but the fatal flaw is how difficult the Demogorgan is to hit, and you can get locked into the mode of you can't hit it. One friend described it as the hardest shot in pinball and said that the Hole in One shot in NGG is easier.

I hope to get a chance to play it sometime in the next week to decide for myself.

#2771 4 years ago

Played Stranger things today ...Was a bit disappointed with the demogorgon toy played a bunch of games never could really get it in the mouth

I watched some of that stream from Halicon Brewery where you were playing.

The Demogorgon seemed impossible to get the ball into. As if it was sitting up too high (or the top of the ramp was too low) I watched player after player aim sweet shots right at the hole, and nobody got it in there.

They’ll have to code the Demogorgan so that hits = damage. i.e. 5 hits = one hole shot. Otherwise nobody is going to get anywhere.

That game was playing ultra fast ... looked like shots to the 4 drops were often death shots, screaming back SDTM. Might be a case of leaving them for multiball, like AFM etc.

rd

#2772 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I haven't played it yet but have talked to several friends that have and the consensus seems to be that they really like how it shoots but the fatal flaw is how difficult the Demogorgan is to hit, and you can get locked into the mode of you can't hit it. One friend described it as the hardest shot in pinball and said that the Hole in One shot in NGG is easier.
I hope to get a chance to play it sometime in the next week to decide for myself.

In the stream they made it look easy. They sounded upset the few times they missed it.

#2773 4 years ago

The key here is no location games will register hits to the demogorgon. Once the new code drops and we can hit the demogorgon for damage I think it will be much better.

But fully agree that the all or nothing mouth shot is ridiculously hard.

#2774 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Not sure what example they played but the shot wasn’t that hard for me. I wonder if the game was setup at a really shallow or steep pitch. Where did they play it?

#2775 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

In the stream they made it look easy. They sounded upset the few times they missed it.

Maybe there’s an easy adjustment that can be made because all the ones in the public’s hands are crazy hard to make.

#2776 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

Yea I really like season 2 also..

#2777 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Not sure what example they played but the shot wasn’t that hard for me. I wonder if the game was setup at a really shallow or steep pitch. Where did they play it?

It's the game at I/O bar in Madison that Hilton has referenced in this thread. He's really good at setting up and adjusting games so I doubt it is an operator issue.

#2778 4 years ago

I tried the one I have really steep, really shallow and right in the middle. No change.

#2779 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

It's the game at I/O bar in Madison that Hilton has referenced in this thread. He's really good at setting up and adjusting games so I doubt it is an operator issue.

Thanks Mike.

I have tried all pitches now between 6.5 and 7.5
Nothing improves the shot. 7.2 seems best for all other play so that is what I am currently doing.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

The key here is no location games will register hits to the demogorgon. Once the new code drops and we can hit the demogorgon for damage I think it will be much better.
But fully agree that the all or nothing mouth shot is ridiculously hard.

I actually spent some time looking. The only “bail out “ switch to register a missed shot (one that hits the sculpture but does not go in the hole) is and opto located directly in front of the demigorgon. In other words, it is pretty much useless for the majority of shots which are going to go high and not miss into the opto beam.

I hope they can do something in code as currently it is the fatal flaw of the game.

#2780 4 years ago

Sounds like the demogorgon needs a magnet in its center to grab the ball. That would take away the finesse requirement while making the shot a hard one to miss.

#2781 4 years ago

I don’t want it to be hard to miss the mouth. I just want to figure out a way that the success rate is greater than like 1%. Haha. If Alek says it’s too hard, it’s too hard.

#2782 4 years ago

I played the one in Atlanta on location at My Parents Basement quite a bit and was able to hit the shot many times. Strange.

#2783 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I played the one in Atlanta on location at My Parents Basement quite a bit and was able to hit the shot many times. Strange.

This makes me think maybe an adjustment to the mech is needed for those having a hard time with the shot?

#2784 4 years ago

did the ops who have these say they have .62 on them? just looked at sterns website and it appears .64 is up as of today.

https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/

No read me is up yet.

#2785 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

This makes me think maybe an adjustment to the mech is needed for those having a hard time with the shot?

I looked it over and didn’t seem like there was much adjustment available. I thought if the demogorgon was sitting back a bit more at rest, it might help the ball settle in there better. I just couldn’t see how to do that. There are so rubber washers on either side that allow the toy to give when you hit it. That’s it. They are tight to get to, so I didn’t try tightening or loosening the bolts.

#2786 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

did the ops who have these say they have .62 on them? just looked at sterns website and it appears .64 is up as of today.
https://sternpinball.com/support/game-code/
No read me is up yet.

They were playing something more than .64 on the stream

#2787 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

They were playing something more than .64 on the stream

Did that show on the screen? I totally missed that...

#2788 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I looked it over and didn’t seem like there was much adjustment available. I thought if the demogorgon was sitting back a bit more at rest, it might help the ball settle in there better. I just couldn’t see how to do that. There are so rubber washers on either side that allow the toy to give when you hit it. That’s it. They are tight to get to, so I didn’t try tightening or loosening the bolts.

Try changing the flipper strength.

#2789 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I don’t want it to be hard to miss the mouth. I just want to figure out a way that the success rate is greater than like 1%. Haha. If Alek says it’s too hard, it’s too hard.

Exactly. One of my friends that said it was too hard was top 16 at Pinburgh this year so it's not like he sucks or anything.

#2790 4 years ago

The pro I have is on .63. Updating now.

#2791 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Try changing the flipper strength.

Not an option at this point.

#2792 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

How is a difficult shot a fatal flaw. Nothing wrong with challenging shots... particularly if it's a major scoring shot that needs to be nailed. Increases game longevity and satisfaction when you hit it if you ask me. If you could hit the shot easily all the time it would get real boring real fast.

#2793 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

How is a difficult shot a fatal flaw. Nothing wrong with challenging shots... particularly if it's a major scoring shot that needs to be nailed. Increases game longevity and satisfaction when you hit it if you ask me. If you could hit the shot easily all the time it would get real boring real fast.

But there is a difference between difficult and borderline impossible. I’ve played the game over 100 times and got it in the mouth of the demogorgon less than ten times. I would say the average amount of shots I take on it per game is around 30.

#2794 4 years ago

Well...that means it comes up too often. That is basically the end game shot. It shouldn't be coming up that often, and shouldn't be possible every time you play the game. To me that screams how shallow this game really is... I do agree that if it is using 'hit points' then just hitting it should register as damage and score, maybe with a diminishing timer score to get it in the mouth.

#2795 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well...that means it comes up too often. That is basically the end game shot. It shouldn't be coming up that often, and shouldn't be possible every time you play the game. To me that screams how shallow this game really is...

Huh? Do you think the ship on AFM comes up too often? The demogorgon is harder to make appear than that.

#2796 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Well...that means it comes up too often. That is basically the end game shot. It shouldn't be coming up that often, and shouldn't be possible every time you play the game. To me that screams how shallow this game really is... I do agree that if it is using 'hit points' then just hitting it should register as damage and score, maybe with a diminishing timer score to get it in the mouth.

That shot is basically the equivalency to the final shot to destroy a castle on MM. Did you watch any of the stream of the game?

#2797 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Huh? Do you think the ship on AFM comes up too often? The demogorgon is harder to make appear than that.

Been awhile since I've played it, but there isn't a single hit that kills it right?

#2798 4 years ago

Play better
5696945D-F3FA-44BB-91F2-9B9130A7395B (resized).jpeg5696945D-F3FA-44BB-91F2-9B9130A7395B (resized).jpeg

#2799 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

That shot is basically the equivalency to the final shot to destroy a castle on MM. Did you watch any of the stream of the game?

I watched like 10 minutes and they had it in the mouth pretty quickly.

#2800 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Been awhile since I've played it, but there isn't a single hit that kills it right?

Correct. But imagine it only took one shot to kill the ship but you only hit the shot 1 out of 20-30 tries. If that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 130.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 7,154 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 144.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-stranger-things/page/56?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.